• Published 20th Jun 2012
  • 1,791 Views, 101 Comments

Welcome to Ponyville! - CharcoalShift



A series about A Stallion named Charcoal and how he meets the lively Ponies in Ponyville

  • ...
8
 101
 1,791

Railroad Introduction

Charcoal accepted right away, leaving everything he had behind and was given a new place to stay in another district of Canterlot. It has been 4 years and he still talks to Celestia with no formal sentiment, in which she didn't mind at all. But as he thinks back to what happened before the event, he can only wonder what happened to Cinnamon. It still haunts him, and he vowed never to use his magic again. 'Maybe this ticket is a chance for me to start over' he thought to himself. Clenching his ticket, he took his bags and boarded the train to Ponyville.

He sat on a booth near the back of a cart, facing the window and trying not to draw any attention towards him.

"Excuse me" said somepony, standing in front of his booth. Charcoal turned to see a purple mare, a unicorn, looking at him with a calm expression. "All the other booths are filled, I was wondering if I could sit here?" she asked. Charcoal nodded silently and turned back towards the window, looking at the scenery of hills, trees, and mountains.

"I haven't seen you around before, do you live in Canterlot?" Charcoal winces at the name and regrettably nods. The mare is a bit curious about his reaction "Is something wrong?" Charcoal looks at her, and shakes his head. "Well my name is Twilight sparkle, I live down in ponyville. What about you?"

"Name's Charcoal shift. I just moved, well going to move to ponyville via Celestia's orders" Twilight perked up a bit

"Celestia? You know Princes Celestia?" Charcoal started to become annoyed by her constant questioning.

"Yes, I knew her personally for a few years"

"Wow! I knew her since I was very little" she said "She let me attend a school in canterlot so I could learn magic more proficiently". Charcoal huffed again at the mentioning of Canterlot. Twilight noticed this.

"You... don't like Canterlot do you?" It was pretty apparent that he didn't. He didn't want to say anything in fear of arguing with another pony. "I'm... sorry. I didn't know that you disliked that place so much"

"It just holds a lot of terrible memories that I want to forget...” He finally spoke.

"What kind of memories?.." she reluctantly asked.

Charcoal looked at her for a bit, and decided to tell her his story as a colt. By the end, she was taken aback by all the things that happened to him, and the pain that he accidentally caused for another.

"Have you tried looking for her?" she blurted out.

"I was too afraid" he said "I always thought of the worst case scenario when it came to confronting her about the whole thing after being expelled from the school. In the end I always thought it would be best if she forgot about me."

Twilight paused for a bit "So the whole event that went on when I was young... you were a part of it?” She had no idea, she saw all the other ponies picking on and shunning a colt as he slumped out of the school. She could've done something, but was so hesitant at the time.