• Published 20th Jun 2012
  • 1,791 Views, 101 Comments

Welcome to Ponyville! - CharcoalShift



A series about A Stallion named Charcoal and how he meets the lively Ponies in Ponyville

  • ...
8
 101
 1,791

Stress and Adoration

Shadow Blast had been working at the Spa for quite a few years. What's even more amazing is how she keeps it. Being chewed out by the boss for constant tardiness isn't always appealing, but being a renound hair stylist thanks to her parents has made her well known around Ponyville. She sees it more as a hobby than a natural talent that being said is why her tail is always seen braided. Her dark grey hair, stripped with mint green, and soft, purple fur with an even lighter tone covering the hooves and legs. She has scissors as a cutie mark for obvious reasons, and she is now currently wandering about the Spa looking for anyone that needs assistance.

"This is no time to be slacking off you!" her extremely flamboyant boss yells. For a hetero stallion, it's a surprise that no-one passes him off as a colt fondler.

With that being said, Shadow Blast takes the opportunity to take a break and go on a brisk walk outside to stretch her wings (and avoid any more yelling from captain neckerchief inside). Taking a breath of fresh air, she sees all the other ponies trotting around. It's a typical thing for Shadow Blast: scope out a random pony, look at their hair, and judge whether or not that pony needs a stylist to fix the atrocity. Weird? Maybe, but to her it's a common thing to kill time, and have the boss out of her hair for an hour or so. She then spots her next customer, or in her case, another excuse. She trots up to the dark grey pony and looks at his black and neon green hair.

"My goodness!" she exclaims "Do you even wash that hair of yours?!” The dark stallion, which turns out to be Charcoal, stops and looks at her confused.

".....what?"

Shadow Blast grabs his hoof and drags him into the Spa, in which he struggles to break away from.

"What's wrong with you? Stop squirming." she says, glaring at Charcoal.

"I am NOT going to a Spa!" he yells, causing a mild scene in front of other ponies. Shadow Blast smiles sarcastically and turns to the crowd

"Don't worry. We have nervous ponies like him all the time". Other mares giggle as Charcoal's face turns a bright red with embarrassment. The purple pegasus finally gets him inside and sits him on the rotating chair. She spun him around and stopped him, making him face away from her and began to clean out his hair. The dark grey stallion pouting the entire time he's left with no choice but to sit there and cringe at every knot that she pulls from his hair.

"Man, you really haven't done a thing have you? Just let it grow and grow...” she pulls out a white string "Is this.... dental floss?”

"How the heck should I know?" Charcoal spat.

About an hour had passed and she was finally done with his hair. All that was left was to trim it a bit. Charcoal did a complete 180 on the chair and looked at her with a stern expression.

"No pony is cutting my hair" he growls.

"Don't get snippy with me" she says with a sassy tone, holding a pair of scissors and chuckling at the little pun. Rarity walks in and notices Shadow Blast working her usual "Magic".

"Hello there darling!" the purple maned unicorn said with glee "I'm here for a little touch up with my hair. You're the only pony that can do it the right way" she trails off, looking at Charcoal "Oh my, it's quite a surprise to see a stallion such as yourself here."

"Well I--"

"He came here because his hair is an absolute mess. And I brought him in to fix that." Shadow Blast cut him off.

"I must agree with her Charcoal. Your hair is an utter disaster". This oddly made him feel a bit self-conscious and made him fluster with sheer bashfulness and disappointment. Rarity sits next to Shadow Blast as she cuts off the split ends of Charcoal's hair. They have a short conversation about which stallions in Ponyville are "closet-colts" and talk about the latest fashion trends for the Grand Galloping Gala in four months. Charcoal groans in agony as he listens to every word, from the dresses to Filthy Rich being more "filthy" than the other ponies make him out to be in the orientation department. Suddenly a pink pony bursts into the Spa, bouncing about. Shadow Blast looks up and blushes a bit, snipping a bit of hair off of Charcoal by accident. Rarity and Shadow Blast gasps as they look at the back of his hair, now lop-sided on the bottom. He turns his head and wonders why the two mares have such horrified expressions.

"What's going on?”

"Oh nothing! Now stop moving!" Shadow Blast says, quickly shifting his head back into position and fixing the little dilemma.

Rarity looks at her and whispers "How did that happen?”

"I-I don't know" she says, panicking a bit "I just saw that pink pony, and then I just spaced out." Rarity looks ahead and sees that the pink pony is obviously none other than Pinkie Pie. Shadow Blast his having a hard time splitting her focus between the party mare and Charcoal's bad hair day, to which he is completely unaware. She takes one final look and smiles nervously

"Done! And you look better than before!” Charcoal gets up and turns around, eyeing her cautiously. The Pinkie trots up and giggles a bit.

"Hey there ladies" she smiles.

"Hello there Pinkie" Rarity says, waving a hoof.

"H-hi...” Shadow stammers. Pinkie turns to look at Charcoal, and suddenly bursts into a fit of laughter. What used to be a medium lengthed ponytail is now nothing more than a small stub held together by a scrunchie.
Charcoal looks at the party pony, already driven to tears laughing so hard.

"What? Why is she laughing?" he says. Applejack walks in and chuckles a bit.

"Well now Charky, ah like the new hair style you gave yerself." she smiles. His eyes narrowed, quickly feeling the back of his head. He then glares at Shadow, who shrugs and sheepishly smiles.

"Sorry..." she says, holding back a chuckle. He storms off, leaving the other four at the Spa.

"Ah don't see why he's so stubborn. Looks good on him" Applejack smiles.

"It seems Shadow lost her focus looking at Pinkie bouncing around." Rarity giggles.

"Everypony smiles when I'm out and about! I guarantee it!" Pinkie smiles from ear to ear. Shadow looked at her wide-eyed with a grin, blushing a bit. She never felt like this before. With a passing thought rushing through her head, Shadow just had to try and get to know her better.