• Published 20th Jun 2012
  • 1,791 Views, 101 Comments

Welcome to Ponyville! - CharcoalShift



A series about A Stallion named Charcoal and how he meets the lively Ponies in Ponyville

  • ...
8
 101
 1,791

Formal Invitation

Charcoal is a simple stallion. He's quiet, gets his job done, and works with the necessities. As of now he is living in Canterlot, repairing various machinery that breaks down, until he gets a notice from Princess Celestia...

Charcoal is at his house, preparing his tools for the work day. A letter is dropped off at his doorstep. As he looks at the letter, it is a plain sheet of paper, rolled up and tied with a fancy ribbon.
"This is new" he said to himself "Haven't had a letter quite like this". He opens it and begins to read it:

To Charcoal,

I have some important matters to address with you, so come to my palace as soon as you receive this letter.

Sincerely,

Princess Celestia

Charcoal was a bit surprised that he'd get a letter directly from her. He placed the letter on top of the shelf and made his way to her palace. The streets were busy today, so various ponies were out and about chatting with one another about topics like jewelry and wealth. Charcoal wasn't into things like that. He'd rather get things that he needed and live a very basic and peaceful life. Walking down the road, all the ponies were staring at him and he knew why. Though he's a well paid stallion, they all consider him to be middle, if not lower class compared to them. Various whispers can be heard, shunning him and making vague comments. Though it looks like it doesn't phase him on the outside, he feels really hurt and put down. He finally makes it to the palace and enters the large double doors. He has only been here once before, but it's still a breath-taking place with all the extravagant decor, and furniture. The palace guards take him to Princess Celestia, where she formally greets him.

"Hello Charcoal. It's nice to see you respond to my letter so quickly" Celestia said with a smile.
"Thank the messenger for the quick delivery" Charcoal said, giving a short bow.
"Modesty can only get you so far" She said "But that's besides the point. I have a job for you to take care of that will require you to be transferred to another place". Charcoal thinks about it for a moment and then it hits him
"Wait. You mean I have to move out of Canterlot?" Celestia nods
"Yes. You have done a very good job here, but your assistance is needed elsewhere. And I feel that new experiences will be good for you". Though he kept it well hidden, Celestia can see how Charcoal felt about Canterlot.
"What if the machines break down here again?" he asked.
"Don't worry, I'll have the other ponies take care of that. There are others that can work with machines, even though they aren't as good as you are" Celestia said.
"You flatter me Princess, I guess i can take this job" Charcoal said, holding back a bit of excitement.

Charcoal bows his head again, and promptly leaves the room. He then runs out the castle to prepare to move to another city. 'A new place? This is great! I can finally get out of this aristocratic city!' he thought to himself. He ran inside his house and packed a few of his things. Charcoal only needed his tools, and grabbed a few of his work vests and puts it along with his other things in his suitcase. There was a knock on the door, making him jump out of his ecstatic trance. He opens the door to see one of the guards hand him a train ticket.
"This is from Princess Celestia. It tells you where you will be taken to" the guard said before trotting back to the castle. Charcoal takes a good look at the ticket and reads the destination.
"Ponyville... huh, I heard of this place before" Charcoal said, twitching an ear.