• Published 23rd Jun 2012
  • 8,233 Views, 322 Comments

Two Lives Becoming One - manuccia



A collection of stories about Soarin's life, his marriage, and his family.

  • ...
17
 322
 8,233

To Be a Parent - Ch. 1

Twilight looked off to the horizon and watched as the golden sun slowly rose. The town of Ponyville was beginning to wake up as the sounds of ponies filled the air of the quaint Equestrian town. It was the day after Soarin’s birthday and the day of his party. Twilight sighed as she turned her view of the sunrise to the stallion lying in her embrace. Soarin’s head gently laid on her chest. She could feel the soft rising and falling of his chest as he slept. ‘He looks so peaceful…’ Something felt different with Soarin’ lying in her hooves; it felt nice.

Twilight smiled at the sleeping Pegasus, but she noticed the fur under his eyes. It was still matted and stained with his tears from the previous night. When she found out that Soarin’s parents weren’t dead and that he lied to her, Twilight was upset. She was upset because she thought Soarin’ would trust her enough to tell her something like that, but when she saw him that night her heart broke. Soarin’ had a big heart, but he was a strong pony and seeing him broken and violently sobbing hurt her. She did the only thing she could; she comforted him and loved him, like he always did for her. The thought of what his parents did to him scared her. She didn’t want to think about it; she just wanted to see wanted to see him happy.

Soarin’ was beginning to stir. She held him tight against her chest and placed a kiss on his cheek. “I love you Soarin and I always will,” she gently cooed in his ear. “I would never leave you… You’re going to be the father of my foal and you’re going to be a great father…” Twilight loved Soarin’. “Wake up Soarin’…”

Soarin’s eyes slowly opened as he yawned. “Good morning Twilight,” he greeted. He looked around and saw that they were still sitting on the library’s balcony and he was in the soft embrace of his wife, Twilight. “I’ll go make you some breakfast,” he said trying to stand up.

Twilight tightened her grip around him to keep him close to her. “No… I mean, can we stay like this…?” Twilight asked. “I want to talk to you.”

“About what?”

“About last night…”

“…”

Twilight sighed. She have realized that he wouldn’t want to talk about it, yet at least. “I’m sorry about what happened to you and if ever want to talk you know I will listen,” Twilight said. “I just want you to know that I love you and I always will…”

“I know you do Twilight; I love you too and…” Soarin’ said. “I’m sorry I lied to you about my parents.”

“You’re a great stallion and husband, but promise me that when you are ready to talk you will come to me… “

“I promise…” Soarin’ realized that Twilight didn’t want to get up anytime soon, so he the only thing that came to mind. He snuggled into her body and lightly nuzzled her chest.

A smile and a blush spread across Twilight’s face as she enjoyed the affection her husband was showing her. “I still can’t believe we are going to have a foal Soarin’,” Twilight said.

“I know I’m a little scared, but I want to have a family with you,” Soarin’ said.

“I want to have a family with you too… Your party is today,” Twilight stated. “If you don’t want to go I’m sure pinkie will understand.”

“No I’ll go, but can we have some breakfast first,” Soarin’ answered.

“Sure, let’s go…”

Soarin’ slowly stood up and shared a quick kiss with Twilight before they made their way to the kitchen. Soarin’ cooked up a batch of his famous apple cinnamon oatmeal and they enjoyed a simple breakfast with each other.

***

The library was abuzz with ponies; filled with the scents of sweets and the sounds of music and laughter that is the signature of a Pinkie Pie party. While Pinkie was ready to invite all of Ponyville, Twilight was able to convince her that Soarin’ would prefer a small party. Soarin’ was enjoying his birthday pie while socializing with Twilight’s friends. Twilight was enjoying herself, but something was bothering her. ‘Why didn’t Soarin’ tell me about his parents?’ She couldn’t even imagine what Soarin’ went through as a foal; she just wished that Soarin’ told her sooner so that she could’ve helped him. ‘Spitfire… she might be able to help…’ Twilight trotted over to the fiery mare.

Spitfire was hanging around with her marefriend, Rainbow Dash.

“Hey, Spitfire,” Twilight greeted.

“Hey, Twi.”

“Can I talk to you?” Twilight asked.

“Sure,” she answered happily. She tuned to Rainbow Dash. “I’ll be right back Dashie…”

Twilight led Spitfire up to her room. She closed the door and motioned for Spitfire to sit.

Spitfire wasn’t sure what Twilight wanted, but given what happened the previous day she was sure it was about Soarin’. “This was nice party Twilight, “ Spitfire said. “Soarin’ seems happy…”

“Yeah…” Twilight answered empty mindedly.

“I assume Soarin’ told you…”

“He told me last night... but why didn’t he tell me sooner?” Twilight asked. “He is scared he is going to turn into his father… I could have helped him if he told me…”

“How did you react when you found out you were pregnant?” Spitfire asked.

“I was scared; heck I still am.”

“Soarin’ told me that you fainted and when you told him you thought he was going to leave.”

“Yeah…” Twilight was embarrassed about accusing Soarin’. She knew Soarin’ would never leave her, but why didn’t Soarin’ tell her that he was worried. “Why didn’t he tell me?”

“Twilight, Soarin’ loves you and you were scared,” the fiery mare said. “Have you thought that Soarin’ didn’t tell you because he felt he needed to stay strong for you, to help you?”

“I-I never thought of that…”

“Ok, I’m going to go back to Rainbow,” Spitfire said standing and trotting towards the door. “Don’t worry about Soarin’… I’ll tell him you are up here.”

‘He needed to stay strong for me…’ Twilight never thought about that, but it made sense. ‘All the things he had done for me… why couldn’t I see that…’ She felt guilty because Soarin’ bottled up all his fear so Twilight wouldn’t worry. ‘That isn’t even the only time he has made sacrifices for me...’ She remembered all the times he stayed up with her when she was worried. ‘I even cost him first place in the Wonderbolt’s Derby.’ The night before Twilight lost a page of notes on a spell she was working on. She couldn’t sleep, so Soarin’ stayed up with her and helped her look. They didn’t sleep at all and Soarin’ feel asleep during the race. ‘He wasn’t mad at me… he’s never mad at me, even when I mess things up for him…’ Twilight loves Soarin’ and she know he loves her. ‘I’m so lucky to have him… he does so much for me, and I don’t know if I will ever be able to pay him back…’ Then it donned on her. ‘I’m going to do something special for Soarin’, but what?’ Twilight ran over to her bed and grabbed her journal and began writing. She was going to show Soarin’ how much she appreciates him and she knows when. ‘Father’s day is in a few months and that day is going to be special for Soarin’… I’ll make sure it is…’

The door to Twilight’s room creaked open and Soarin’s head peaked in. “Twilight, you coming back to the party?”

Twilight quickly hid her journal and trotted over to the door. “Coming Soarin’…”

Twilight returned to the party; later that night she would begin planning Soarin’ surprise; it might be months always, but like Twilight always says, ‘the key is planning.’