• Published 23rd Jun 2012
  • 8,227 Views, 322 Comments

Two Lives Becoming One - manuccia



A collection of stories about Soarin's life, his marriage, and his family.

  • ...
17
 322
 8,227

Love and Family - Ch. 1

The sun was setting in Equestria. Soarin’ and Twilight have been dating for almost six months now and with each passing day Soarin’ has found himself loving Twilight more and more. Much has changed since he started dating Twilight. He has becoming good friends with her brother, Shining Armor, and he has gotten close to Star Sparkle, Twilight’s mother. Although Crescent is still hostile towards Soarin’, and no matter how hard he has tried Soarin’ can’t figure out why.

Now Soarin’ was speeding to Ponyville. He had just left a training session for the Wonderbolts. He promised he would let Twilight make him a special dinner and he was already for late. A few days earlier Twilight had an important magic exam and the night before Soarin’ stayed up with. He helped her study and just let her know that he was there for her. The next morning he made her breakfast and made sure she was ready. Twilight was grateful for what Soarin’ she wanted to make him dinner to thank him. ‘This isn’t the first time I’ve been late for a date.’ Every time Soarin’ has been late or flat out missed a date with Twilight he felt guilty. Twilight always tells him that ‘it’s ok’ or ‘I understand’, but Soarin’ can’t help but feel he is disappointing her. All he can hope is that he is not too late tonight.

By the time Soarin’ reached Ponyville, the sun was set and the bright white moon was high in the night sky. Soarin’ touched down at the front door of the Golden Oaks library. He quickly entered the library and noticed that the main reading room was dark, but he saw a small light emanating from the kitchen. He quickly trotted into the kitchen. “Hey Twilight sorry that I’m late, there were a lot of fans…” The room was empty; the only source of light was a dimly lit candle. On the table sat two chopped salads, a bottle of grape juice, and a golden apple pie in the shape of a heart. ‘Good going Soarin’, you missed another date.’ Soarin’ then realized that Twilight was probably in her room waiting for him. Soarin’ made his way up to her bedroom. ‘At least I can spend the night with her.’ He quietly trotted up to Twilight’s room. When he reached her door he could her Twilight talking. ‘She must not know that I’m here.’

Twilight was laying on her bed sobbing. Her eyes were bloodshot and tears were streaming down her face. “Where’s Soarin’?” she asked no pony in particular. “I wish he was here… He missed dinner, but he probably has a good reason… He still loves me, doesn’t he…? I just miss him so much…” Twilight cried. She just wished that Soarin’ could be here, so that she could feel the warmth and comfort of his hooves around her body and the wonderful scent of his mane.

Soarin’ was still standing outside of Twilight room. Tears starting roll down his face. ‘Good job Soarin’, Twilight is crying because of you.’ Soarin’ began to gently flap his wings and flew into the dark bedroom. “Twilight,” Soarin’ called to her.

Twilight was shocked to hear his voice. She quickly began to wipe her eyes; she didn’t want Soarin’ to know she was crying because she didn’t want him to worry. “Hi, Soarin’,” Twilight greeted faking a smile.

Soarin’ touched down on her bed. He wrapped his hooves around Twilight and dug his muzzle into her mane. “I’m sorry Twilight. I’m sorry that I’m late,” Soarin’ apologized.

“It’s ok Soarin’.”

“No Twilight it’s not,” Soarin’ said. “I promised to be here and I wasn’t. Will please forgive me.”

“Of course I will Soarin’,” Twilight reassured him. “I love you.”

“I love you too Twilight and I always will.”

The ponies laid down on the bed and Twilight used her magic to cover her and Soarin’ with her blanket. She snuggled into Soarin’s side and soon fell asleep.

Soarin’ stayed awake a little while watching Twilight sleep. He occasionally ran a hoof through her mane. “I’ll make it up to Twilight,” he whispered. “I promise that I will always love you and I’ll always be here for you.” Soarin’ rested his head on his pillow and pulled Twilight closer to him. He fell asleep with his mare in his hooves.

**

Twilight rolled over on her bed. Bright rays from Celestia’s sun invaded her bedroom. She yawned as she slowly sat up in her bed. ‘That was a wonderful night, I’m glad Soarin’ showed up.’ Twilight never really thought she would be an affectionate pony, but she always liked it when Soarin’ could stay the night so she can fall asleep in his hooves. It always made her happy. She looked next to her and saw her bed was surprisingly empty ‘Where’s Soarin’?’

“Soarin’… Soarin’…” she called out. Twilight knew he had a practice today. ‘I guess he left already… I wish he was still here or at least said good bye.’ She grabbed her pillow and hugged it. She could still smell the scent of his mane. She dug her muzzle into the pillow and pretended it was Soarin’ she was hugging. ‘Why can’t you be here with me?’

Then Twilight heard what sounded like… hoof steps? She looked over to the door and saw Soarin’ trot in with a wide smile on her face. He was carrying a tray of food in his hooves. ‘He’s still here… S-Soarin’ is still here.’ Twilight smiled.

“Good morning Twilight,” Soarin’ greeted placing the tray in front of Twilight.

“You didn’t have to make me breakfast,” Twilight said. Twilight looked at the clock next to on her nightstand. “Soarin’ don’t you have practice?” Twilight asked. “You’re going to be late.”

“I didn’t have to, but I wanted to,” Soarin’ said sitting next to the bed. “You made a wonderful dinner for me last night and I missed it, so I wanted to make it up to you. I made you your favorite: blueberry pancakes and haybacon with a glass of apple cider,” Soarin’ said. “Also, don’t worry about me being late for practice. Spitfire will understand, plus I’d rather spend my morning with you.”

“Thanks Soarin’, you’re the best coltfriend I could ever ask for,” she said pulling him into a hug.

“It’s nothing Twilight. I just want you to be happy,” Soarin’ said. “Now go ahead and eat your breakfast.”

“What about you?” Twilight asked noticing there was only food for one pony. “What are you going to eat?”

“I kind of already ate,” Soarin’ said.

"You ate that pie didn’t you,” Twilight said slyly.

“You know me well,” Soarin’ chuckled.

“I’m glad you liked it. I made it from a recipe I got from Applejack,” Twilight explained.

“Well it tasted amazing; just like you,” Soarin’ said placing a kiss on her check.

Redness swiftly spread across Twilight’s face. “Soarin’ why do you always know how to make me blush?” she asked. Twilight continued to eat her freshly made breakfast. While she did Soarin’ simply sat with her and talked to her. After she was finished Soarin’ took the empty tray down to the kitchen and returned.

“That was really good, Soarin’,” Twilight said hugging the stallion. “Thanks.” Twilight always loved when Soarin’ made her breakfast, he was an amazing cook.

“It’s nothing,” Soarin’ said.

“Our sixth month anniversary is this Thursday,” Twilight stated.

Soarin’ couldn’t believe that in two days it would six months since they started dating. To Soarin’ the six months felt more like six years. “I know, I just wish the Wonderbolts didn’t have a public practice in Trotingham, so we could do something together,” Soarin’ said remorsefully. He wished that he could celebrate that day with the mare he loves and not thousands of fans.

“Is our plan for the weekend still on?” Twilight ask placing a hoof on Soarin’s shoulder.

“It is and from sun down on Friday to sun up and Monday I am all yours.” Soarin’ was serious this weekend was going to be Twilight’s and there will no distractions. Soarin’ looked over at the clock and noticed the time. He knew Spitfire would understand that I’m late, but I do have to show up for part of the training. He sighed. ‘I don’t want to leave, but I have too.’ Soarin’ looked to his marefriend. “I guess I have to get going.”

“Yeah… I’ll see you this weekend…?” Twilight asked.

“I’ll see you then,” Soarin’ said. He moved head towards Twilight’s and planted a gentle kiss on her lips. “Goodbye… I love you.”

“I love you too…”

Soarin’ slowly made his way out of the library and took off towards the Wonderbolt’s HQ in Cloudsdale.

***

Spitfire had just gotten out of the showers in the locker rooms. It was another successful training session. The team had learned a new routine for upcoming shows, but something was bugging her. Soarin’ very distant today, he arrived at practice two hours late and didn’t say a word. He did his drills and learned the routine. ‘He probably just has a lot on his mind,' Spitfire thought trotting through the Wonderbolt’s HQ. She already tried the locker room and he wasn’t there and now she was headed up to his office. She trotted down the long corridor and stopped at a door that said

Flight Commander Soarin’, CWO

She opened the door and saw Soarin’ sitting at his desk, lost in thought. “Hey Soarin’, are you ok?”

“Yeah… I’m sorry I was late, I needed to spend some time with Twilight,” Soarin’ explained.

“It’s ok,” Spitfire said. Normally Spitfire would tease her friend a bit, but it didn’t feel right. “Is everything ok with Twilight?”

“It was when I left, but I started thinking on the flight here and during practice…,” Soarin’ stated. “I was late to my dinner with Twilight. When I got there the food was sitting on the table and Twilight gave up waiting for me.”

“I’m sorry Soarin’.”

“Do you know how many dates I’ve been late too, heck how many I missed entirely do to duties for the Wonderbolts, and last night was the worst. I got there and Twilight was upstairs crying her eyes out because I wasn’t there,” Soarin’ say tears starting to drip down in face. “She tried to hide her tears, but I saw them. She keeps telling me everything is ok, but I don’t everything is ok. I can’t help but that I am slowly breaking her heart.”

Spitfire hated seeing her friend like this. She knew he loved Twilight and that Twilight loved him. ‘I want those two to be happy, but this is the reason Wonderbolts don’t date.’ Spitfire sighed. “Soarin’…”

“This Thursday is out sixth month anniversary and I won’t even see her, I'm sorry Twilight I love you, but a couple thousand fans are in Trotingham are more important than you. What kind of coltfriend am I?”

“Soarin’ you’re an amazing coltfriend,” Spitfire said trying to cheer him up.

“Then why do I feel like am only hurting her?” Soarin’ asked. Soarin' couldn't get the image of Twilight crying out of his head.

“Soarin’ are you still thinking about…?” Spitfire asked.

“Yes, I was planning on proposing to her this weekend,” Soarin’ said looking at a small black box sitting on his desk. Soarin’ wish he knew how he could fix this. He loved being a Wonderbolt, but he also loved Twilight. Twilight is the mare of his dreams and he wants to be her husband, but the life of Wonderbolt will always be a strain on their relationship and he knew it. It would come down to Twilight or the Wonderbolts; his dream or his mare. He knew the choice he had to make. “Spitfire I’m not going to be at the practice in Trotingham," Soarin' said looking Spitfire in the eye. His tears had dried up.

“Why?” Spitfire asked.

“I need to make a promise to Twilight,” Soarin’ said pulling a letter out of his desk. “I’m going to be in Canterlot for next couple of days if you need me.”

“Ok, Soarin’,” the fiery mare said. “Good luck with Twilight.”

“Thanks ‘Fire.” Soarin’ hesitantly picked up the letter and gave it to his Captain. “I know you are not going to like this, but I want you to accept this.”

“What is it?” Spitfire asked looking at the letter.

“My resignation from the Wonderbolts,” Soarin’ stated. “Before you say it, I know. I loved my time with the ‘Bolts, but I love Twilight and I want to settle down with her and maybe eventually have a family. I can’t be a part-time husband Spitfire. I need to do this,” he explained.

Spitfire wanted slap him and tell him he throwing away his life, but he was right. She wanted him to stay on the Wonderbolts, but she’s his friend and she wanted him to be happy and if that meant leaving the ‘Bolts she had to support him. “Ok Soarin’,” the mare answered somberly “On one condition.”

“What’s that?” Soarin’ asked.

“If I can be your best mare.”

“I wouldn’t want any other way. Thanks ‘Fire” the Pegasus stallion said hugging his captain.

“No problem Soar. I’ll get at the paperwork done. Now go get your mare,” she said pushing him out the door of his office. “You hopeless romantic.”

‘That sounds like Spitfire.’ He made his way to his room and began to pack his things. He had to get ready for his trip to Canterlot. His first stop, Canterlot castle there was a pony there that he needed to talk to.