• Published 23rd Jun 2012
  • 8,242 Views, 322 Comments

Two Lives Becoming One - manuccia



A collection of stories about Soarin's life, his marriage, and his family.

  • ...
17
 322
 8,242

Love and Family - Ch. 4

Soarin’ glided above the streets of the Equestrian capital and he could see the Golden Pegasus ahead in the distance. Soarin’ was always amazed by the beauty of the architecture of Canterlot. Although nothing in his opinion could compare to Cloudsdale. Ahead of him he saw the simple, yet elegant, structure that was the Golden Pegasus. The building’s style takes after classic pegasi architecture like seen in Cloudsdale and in the background sat the gilded domes of the Royal Observatory and Canterlot castle. As he approached the restaurant he saw something even more beautiful, the purple unicorn that he called his marefriend.

Twilight was wearing a simple yellow dress. That is one thing he loved about Twilight, she didn’t need fancy cloths of makeup to look beautiful. Soarin’ wasn’t sure what he liked the most about Twilight: Whether it was her eyes, those shimmering purple pools, her smile, a simple smile that made his heart melt, or her personality. She was a kind mare, well organized, and very smart. The slow flaps of his wings increased in pace as he head towards Twilight. “Twilight,” Soarin’ called out.

Twilight heard somepony calling her name and turned to see Soarin’ flying towards her. Twilight spread out her front arms to welcome the incoming stallion.

Soarin’s wings held his wings out and he tilted himself up to decrease his speed. He touched ground while entering an embrace with Twilight. “Hey Twilight, it’s nice to see you,” Soarin’ greeted with his muzzle disappearing into Twilight’s mane.

“It’s nice to see you too, Soarin’,” Twilight said her check rubbing against Soarin’s neck.

Soarin’ slowly pulled his muzzle out of Twilight’s mane and looked into her eyes. “Ready for dinner?” he asked.

“That sounds nice,” Twilight replied.

The two ponies trotted into the restaurant. The building was filled with ponies; they could hear the chatter and laughter of the happy patrons. They were led to Soarin’s usual table. The Wonderbolts ate there often because it was like a little piece of Cloudsdale in the middle of Canterlot. They reached the table and Soarin’ pulled out Twilight's chair for her before sitting himself.

“Here are you menus, your server will be here shortly,” the pony said before trotting off.

Twilight’s horn flared up as she began to carefully study the menu. Soarin’ simply sat and watched Twilight; he knew what he was getting.

A brown unicorn mare trotted in and approached Soarin’ and Twilight’s table. “Good evening and welcome to the Golden Pegasus,” she greeted. “Are you ready to order?” the waitress asked looking towards Twilight.

“Uh… can you start with Soarin’?” Twilight asked still wanting to study the menu.

“Of course,” she answered. “What can I get for you sir?”

“Hm, I would like the chopped daisy salad… no egg and a glass of apple cider,” Soarin’ said setting the menu done in front of him.

“Yes sir,” the waitress said quickly jotting down the order. “For you ma’am?”

“What is the Cloudsdale special?”

“It is a house salad salad served on a bed of cauliflower with a rainbow vinaigrette. It is a little spicy, but very popular,” the waitress explained.

“I’ll have that and a glass of apple cider.”

The waitress’ horn flared up grabbing the menus. “If that will be all, I will put these orders in.” The waitress trotted off.

Soarin’ looked around the crowded dining room. The room was decorated with faux cloud columns reminiscent of Cloudsdale. Soarin’ looked at his mare and the saw the smile on her face. He was glad that she was happy.

Twilight noticed Soarin’ looking at her. “Thanks for taking me out to eat.”

“Thanks for coming,” Soarin’ said. “I know you make detailed schedules and this kind last minute.”

“It’s ok Soarin’; I wouldn’t miss a chance to be with you… I was just going to study,” Twilight said. She didn’t want to tell what her real plans were. Her night was most likely going to consist of sitting in her room hugging her pillow wishing it was Soarin’. “Have you ever had the Cloudsdale Special?”

“No, that’s Spitfire’s usual meal,” Soarin’ explained. “But I think you will like it.”

The two ponies continued to enjoy their company. Their meal soon arrived. Twilight was impressed by the presentation of her meal. The salad sat on the bed of cauliflower which mimicked a cloud bank and the rainbow vinaigrette topped it off. She looked at Soarin’ and saw he was digging into his meal. Twilight carefully grabbed her fork and grabbed a judicious amount of greens from her plate. She gave the floating food a hearty sniff. ‘It smells good…’ She slowly placed the fork into her mouth and began to chew on the greens. ‘Hmmm… a little spicy, but not too spicy…’ She slowly chewed on the food; carefully analyzing the complex mix of flavors and textures. ‘This tastes really good,’ Twilight thought taking another hearty bite of the salad. ‘This is probably the best salad I’ve ever had.’

Soarin’ noticed his marefriend’s determined eating. “Enjoying the salad?”

“Yes, this tastes amazing…” Twilight said before placing a piece of cauliflower in her mouth.

“Well if want I get you some of that vinaigrette for you,” Soarin’ said. “Spitfire was a huge stockpile of it; she uses it with almost everything.”

“That would be great.”

Soarin’ and Twilight enjoyed their meal together. The slowly ate over small talk. Twilight found out that Soarin’ is an avid read of Daring Do, so they talked about the famous winged adventurer. After they finished their waitress brought them their check. Soarin’ got out his bits to pay. Twilight wanted to split the bill, but Soarin’ insisted on paying it himself.

They made their way out to the streets of Canterlot. The sun was beginning to set. She turned to Soarin’, he looked dazed… almost nervous. “Thanks for this Soarin’,” Twilight said. “I really appreciated it… I guess I will see you this weekend,” Twilight said.

“What do you mean?” Soarin’ asked. “This date is not over yet.”

Twilight’s brow furled in confusion. “It’s not?” Twilight asked.

“Nope… hope on” Soarin’ said lowering himself so Twilight can get on his back. “Also, I would use that cloud walking spell."

Twilight climbed on to Soarin’s back; her hooves snuggly wrapped around his neck. Her horn flared engulfing her body in a purple aurora

“Now hang on,” Soarin’ said taking flight.

Twilight used this time to appreciate the view if the city from the sky. It was a beautiful view. Ponies were trotting through the picturesque city, ponies shuffling in and out of restaurants and local theatres.

Soarin’ was nervous about his impending proposal. His breather steadily grew as he flew above the city towards their destination. He was soon going to be asking Twilight to be his mare for the rest of his life. He will also be making a promise to her; a promise to always love her and to be there to support her. While he wasn't worried too much about being with Twilight, what worried him was if Twilight ready for that. ‘We have never really talked about it, and I know that Twi loves me… Is she ready for that kind of commitment?’ Soarin’ made a heading towards a large cloudbank sitting outside of the city. Soarin’s hooves gently touched down on the fluffy structure.

“What are we doing Soarin’?” Twilight asked rolling off her coltfriend’s back.

Soarin’ sat down on the cloud and patted the spot next to him; inviting Twilight to sit with him. Twilight answered Soarin’ request by sitting next to him and leaning into him.

“I thought we could watch the sunset together,” Soarin’ said. His wing slow made its way around Twilight torso and nudged her closer to his body.

Twilight loved the little things Soarin’ did for her. When he watched the sunset with her, eat a simple meal with her, or simply sat and talked to her when she was scared or nervous. Those things meant to most to her. While ponies like Rarity would rather have grand romantic gestures, that didn’t matter to Twilight.

While Twilight was intently watching the sunset, Soarin’s attention was fixed on something else or somepony else. He looked at the mare resting next to him, her head gently resting on his neck. ‘Ok Soarin’… I think this is the right time.’ Soarin’ took a deep breath. “Twilight…” Soarin’ said getting the mare’s attention. “I’m sorry.”

Twilight tilted her head. “Sorry…?” Twilight asked. “For what?”

“All the broken promises… All the times I have missed dates because of the Wonderbolts,” Soarin’ said. “I know that you say ‘it’s ok’, but I don’ think it is… I’m hurting you.”

“You’re not…”

Soarin’ silenced her with a gentle hoof. “Please don’t lie Twilight, I saw you crying a few nights ago… I’m so sorry Twilight… I’m sorry for hurting you,” Soarin’ apologized tightly holding to Twilight. “I can’t help but feel that the Wonderbolts are slowly ruining our relationship, and if we continue... it will only end with pain… So that is why I have to do this…” Soarin' began to dig through his saddle bag.

Twilight’s mind was frantic. ‘Is he going to… No he wouldn’t... but what if he is breaking up with me.’ Twilight instincts were telling her to run, but she couldn’t. ‘No Soarin’ I love you… Don’t do this to me, I don’t care if you miss dates… I just want to be with you…’ Twilight was hoping her mental breakdown was apparent to Soarin’.

Soarin’ slowly pulled out a sealed letter and gave it to Twilight.

Twilight slowly opened the letter and partial unfolded the letter. She cautiously began to read it.

Flight Commander Soarin’

Resignation from the Weather Flight, Wonderbolt Squadron effective immediately. With full benefits to be paid...

Twilight was in shock. ‘He’s… he’s leaving for me…?’ She looked up to Soarin’ and saw the pain in his eyes, the guilt from the feeling that he was hurting the one he loved. “Soarin’ go and take this back… I don’t want you to ruin your life because of me,” Twilight said. “Don’t give up your dream for me.”

“Twilight I’m not ruining my life, the only way I could ruin my life is if I lost you, and I don’t mind giving up my dream if it means I can be with the mare of my dreams,” Soarin’ said.

“I-I don’t know how to thank you Soarin’.”

“You don’t need to… but you can finish reading the letter,” Soarin’ suggested.

Soarin’s request confused Twilight. She slowly unfolded the bottom half of the scroll and that was when she saw it. A small charm in the shape of both of their cutie marks on a gold chain. “Soarin’…?”

“Twilight I love you and I always will. You are the light that brightens my day, and I want to be here for you,” Soarin’ said. He stopped to think for a moment before continuing. “Twilight, will you allow me the honor of being your husband?”

Twilight felt frozen is shock. ‘Soarin’ wants to marry me… me!’ She didn’t know what to say. Her usual diverse lexicon was empty. So she did what felt right. Her head inched towards Soarin’s lips and meet in a passionate kiss. Pulling out she meet Soarin’s eyes. “Yes… Yes I will marry you,” Twilight said before returning her head to Soarin’s neck. “Thank you Soarin’.”

“For what Twilight?” Soarin’ asked.

“For being you… for being the best stallion I’ve ever met,” Twilight said gently nuzzling his neck. “For loving me…”

Soarin’ happily accepted his new fiancé’s affection.

“Soarin’… can we stay in Canterlot tonight?” Twilight asked.

“Sure… I have a suite at the castle.”

“No I meant at my parent’s house… if that’s fine with you.”

“I guess that will work,” Soarin’ said.

“Thanks, I can’t wait to tell my brother... and parents…”

Soarin’ couldn’t wait to announce his engagement. ‘We are going to celebrate this weekend.' He couldn’t wait to tell Twilight’s family about tonight: her brother, Shining Armor, her mother, and her father. ‘Wait! Her father…’ The realization hit him like a ton of bricks. ‘I hope he doesn’t kill me…’