• Published 23rd Jun 2012
  • 8,229 Views, 322 Comments

Two Lives Becoming One - manuccia



A collection of stories about Soarin's life, his marriage, and his family.

  • ...
17
 322
 8,229

To Be a Parent - Epilogue

Ponyville General Hospital, on most nights the white, sterile halls this of this institution was filled with an almost eerie silence, but tonight was different. Tonight the halls echoed with the loud clopping hooves. In the waiting room was a dark blue maned Pegasus stallion. Soarin’s mane was disheveled and bags were under his eyes. His eye lids begged for rest as he impatiently trotted back and forth in the waiting room. Tonight wasn’t just any night. Twilight, his wife, was in labor. ‘Some where my wife is in excruciating pain, giving birth to our foals and I’m stuck here,’ Soarin’ groan to himself. Soarin’ stopped his pacing and look toward the door that read ‘Maternity Ward’. He turned and trotted over to the small sitting area. As he took a seat he saw two ponies seated; a golden Pegasus mare and her rainbow maned companion. “Spitfire… Rainbow, what are you still doing here?” Soarin’ asked.

“What, and let you be alone while your wife is in labor?” Spitfire asked rhetorically. “You would do the same for me and plus, Rainbow has paperwork to finish,” Spitfire said as she nudged her head towards Rainbow Dash, her head buried in a pile of scrolls.

After he left the Wonderbolts, the position of Chief Weather Officer went to Lightning Streak and since then it shuffled hooves between the members of the weather flight, none of them wanting it. That is until it reached Rainbow Dash, the current Flight Commander. While it was a leadership position, it gave you command of the weather flight, and you were second-in-command for the squadron. It was the paperwork that killed it. The job required hours of paperwork, everything from Cloud Requisition forms to be filled with the Weather Factory to Meteorological Assessments to be sent to the Equestrian Weather Service. Soarin’ loved being the CWO and the paperwork was a secret vice for him.

“I hate paperwork…” Rainbow groaned. “I joined the Wonderbolts to do stunt flying, not write reports on the weather in Hoofington.”

“Cheer up Rainbow, Soarin’ loved to do paperwork,” Spitfire joked, hoping to get Soarin’ to relax.

“What? I didn’t love paperwork,” the light azure stallion retorted.

“Yeah sure,” the fiery mare chuckled. “I’m pretty sure you were the longest serving CWO and you always filed the paperwork two days early… at least,” Spitfire said.

Rainbow stared at the embarrassed stallion. For reason this revelation didn’t shock her. The fanfilly image she had of the stallion was already gone. Like most mares, she thought Soarin’ would be the stereotypical tough-colt: brash, dangerous, and pure awesome. That image slowly fade as she began to know and disappeared when he stared dating her best friend. Come to find out he was the most affectionate pony Rainbow has ever met, sure he was a cool pony and a great flier, but also a hopeless romantic. Now knowing he used to like doing paperwork, it was no surprise considering he fell in love with the Queen of Organization herself. “No wonder you married the egghead, “Rainbow joked.

“Yeah… Yeah…” Soarin’ said lifelessly. He found himself staring at the door to the Maternity Ward again. Soarin’ sighed hanging his head close to the ground. It felt like he has been waiting for an eternity. ‘How much longer do I…’ Soarin’s thoughts came to a dead stop as he heard the sound of… hooves. His head shot up at the door and he saw a white earth pony standing in the door way; she had a red cross for a cutie mark, it was Nurse Redheart. ‘Could this be it?’

“Mr. Soarin’,” she called out softly, yet firm.

Soarin’ stood up and trotted towards the open door. “Yes…”

A wide grin spread across the nurse pony’s face, this was her favorite part of her job. “Your wife is waiting for you. There are two ponies she would like you to meet,” Redheart said motioning Soarin’ to follow her.

Soarin’ followed the nurse in the ward. ‘This is it… I’m finally going to meet my foals… I wonder if we have two fillies, two colts, or a filly and a colt... unicorn, earth pony, Pegasus…’ the possibilities shot through his mind. He followed nurse to an open door, a light shined out from the room.

“She is right in there,” Nurse Redheart said quietly. “Congratulations…”

Soarin’ looked into the room. His wife was lying on the bed. Her eyes begged for sleep, but she adorned a warm, motherly smile. “Twilight…”

Twilight’s head lifted as she look to the door way. “Hi Soarin’,” she said greeted.

“How are you feeling?” Soarin’ asked.

“Tired… worn out, but it was worth it… come here,” she said waving him over.

Soarin’ quietly trotted over to his wife’s bed. As he got closer he saw two… two foals snuggled into the mare’s side. He sat down next to the bed.

“Soarin’ I would like you to meet our daughter,” Twilight said pointing to the filly. She was a Pegasus with a bluish-white coat and a navy blue mane. “And our son.” She pointed to the sleeping colt. He was a unicorn and he had a lavender coat like his mother and purple mane.

Soarin’ could feel tears welling in his eyes. ‘I-I have a little filly and a colt…’ He didn’t even bother to stop the stray tears, he was too happy.

The filly slowly began to wake up. The foal stared into the eyes of the unfamiliar pony.

“Would you like to hold her?” Twilight asked.

Soarin’ nodded. His arms extended as he picked up the foal. He held the foal’s small body close to his chest. The foal seemed scared at first, like she wasn’t sure if she could trust this strange pony. Soarin’ could sense the foal’s unease, so he did what felt right. “It’s ok little one, I’ll protect you,” Soarin’ softly cooed in the foal’s ear, calming her. “I love you my little filly.” Once again the filly was drifting off to sleep, this time in her father’s hooves. He looked back up to Twilight. “Have you thought of names yet?” Soarin’ asked quietly, so not to wake the foals.

“I was thinking Dusk for the colt,” Twilight answered.

“That’s a nice name… and for the filly?”

“I don’t know…” Twilight said.

Soarin’ looked down at the sleeping filly. “Glidin'…” he said softly.

“Glidin'…?”

Soarin’ nodded. “When I look at her, I see Glidin' my little filly,” Soarin’ said.

“That’s a beautiful name… Dusk and Glidin' our little foals.”

Soarin’ gently placed Glidin' down on the bed next to her mother. He placed a kiss on Twilight’s lips. “I love you Twilight… thank you for this family,” Soarin’ said.

“I love you too, Soarin’.” Twilight felt incredibly tired and now she just wanted to sleep. “I think I’m going to get some rest… good night.”

“Good night Twilight,” Soarin’s said as the mare drifted into a peaceful slumber. Soarin’ watched his family sleep before retiring to a nearby chair and resting his eyes himself. It was a long day, but it was worth it he was truly a father now.

***

It was a cold, winter night in Ponyville; the town was covered in a sugary white layer of snow. Soarin’ and Twilight sat next to a warm, crackling fire; they were enjoying each other’s company. It has almost been a year and half since their foals were born. While being a parent was tough, waking up any times a night to change a diaper and what not. Thanks to their planning it rather smoothly, but still stressful, but even after all that they would say is worth it. They both loved their family.

Soarin’ turned to Twilight. “I can’t believe Hearth Warming Eve is coming up,” he said.

“I know, it’s going to be the foals second, and our fifth,” Twilight replied. She couldn’t believe that this is going to be the fifth time she has celebrated the holiday with Soarin’.

“I have loved every moment I have spent with you Twilight…” Soarin’ was cut off by the rhythmic clopping of tiny hooves. “I think we are going to have two little visitors,” Soarin’ chuckled as he looked at the stairs leading to the foal’s bedroom.

Within a matter of moments, two foals came running into the dimly light living room; running towards their parents. In pursuit was a rather tired looking purple dragon. “Wait… you two are supposed to be in bed,” Spike said breathing heavily. The foals paid to head to the out of breath dragon. Dusk galloped over to his mother and carefully climbed on her back, and Glidin' sat in front of her father.

“It’s ok Spike, you can go to be… we’ll take care of them,” Twilight said to her fatigued assistant.

“Ok Twilight, good night,” Spike said before returning to his comfy bed.

Twilight turned her head to look the colt resting on her back. “Duskie it is way past your bed time,” Twilight nagged.

Dusk simply look at his mother and wrapped his forehooves around the mare’s neck in a hug. “I wuv you mommy…”

“I love you too, sweetie,” Twilight replied giving her son a light nuzzle.

Glidin' sat in front of her father, looking up into the stallion’s eyes. The filly slowly picked up a hoof and placed it on the front of Soarin’s muzzle.

“Yes Glidin', that’s daddy’s nose,” Soarin’ chuckled. He pulled the filly closer to him, so she was resting on top of his legs. “I love you Glidin',” Soarin’ said softly to the tired filly.

“I wuv you dada,” Glidin' replied letting her head rest of her dad’s front hoof.

Soarin’ looked below him and then towards Twilight. “They’re both sound asleep,” Soarin’ said.

Twilight nodded. “I don’t have the hearth to wake them Twilight,” Twilight said quietly. “Let’s let them stay,” Twilight yawned. She was feeling tired herself. “Good night, Soarin’.”

“Good night Twilight,” he said.

They both shared a quick kiss before they both drifted off together. It was a beautiful night in Equestria.