• Published 23rd Jun 2012
  • 8,233 Views, 322 Comments

Two Lives Becoming One - manuccia



A collection of stories about Soarin's life, his marriage, and his family.

  • ...
17
 322
 8,233

To Be a Parent - Ch. 2

The dimly lit candle in the library’s basement flicked softly. In the center of the room sat a seven month pregnant Twilight. The small bulge in her abdomen had grown exponentially over the long months. In front of her sat a plethora of official scrolls and maps of Equestria filled with notes and various cities were crossed off. In the center of the pack of scrolls sat a picture of a pinked maned Pegasus mare, and bellow it had the name Rising Sun. She was reviewing the map of Cloudsdale when she felt the claw of a certain purple dragon on her back.

“Twilight,” Spike yawned. “Why are we looking for this Setting Sun mare?” Spike asked wondering why he wasn’t up in his bed.

“It’s Rising Sun, and after Soarin’ ran away from his parents he lived in the castle with Princess Celestia for a bit before he moved to Cloudsdale. This mare apparently was an adoptive mother to him,” Twilight explained trying to keep her eyes open.

“I get that, but why are we looking for her?” Spike asked. “I should be in bed by now.”

She looked over at the clock resting on the wall, it read 1:00 AM. ‘He’s has a point… we both should be in bed by now…’ She sighed. “Father’s day is coming up in a few days and I want to do something special for Soarin’. Soarin’ hasn’t seen her in a while and she wasn’t at our wedding, so I was hoping to get her to visit… but it’s late, you can go to bed Spike.”

“Thanks Twilight,” Spike yelled before running up the stairs.

Twilight sighed as she quickly glanced over her research. ‘Months of searching and I’m still no closer to finding this mare. I’m the Princess’s personal student and I can’t even… Wait a minute Princess… Of course I can ask Princess Celestia.’ Twilight remembered that Soarin’ lived in the castle and he moved to Cloudsdale and Rising Sun looked after him. ‘The Princess must have met this mare and she might know where she is.’ Now she needed to get into contact with the Princess, she ruled out a letter. This was too important. ‘I go see her in Canterlot, but I have an ultrasound today, so I can go tomorrow and…’ Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a pony trotting towards her; she turned her head and saw her husband and he didn’t look too happy. She quickly shuffled to hide the scrolls in front of her.

Soarin’ continued down the stairs and sat next to the tired mare. “Twilight, remember what Dr. Stable said about over exerting yourself?”

“Don’t,” Twilight said like a foal caught by her parents with her hoof in the cookie jar.

“Then let’s go to bed,” Soarin’ offered. “Come on Twi’.”

“Ok.”

Soarin’ slowly helped Twilight stand and helped her up the stairs to their room. After the short journey through the dark library they reached their bedroom. Soarin’ laid Twilight down on their bed and grabbed the blanket in his mouth. He covered her with the woolen shield and tucked her in. “Good night Twilight, sleep well my love,” he softly cooed placing a kiss on her forehead. He trotted over to the other side of the bed; he stopped in front of his nightstand. On it sat two pictures, one of Twilight and the other was him with Rising Sun. It was taken after the pie eating contest in Ponyville. “I love you mom,” he whispered before gently climbing into bed. He cuddled up to his sleeping wife and drifted into his slumber.

***

The library’s kitchen was alive with the sounds of clanging pans and the sweet scent of cinnamon. It was still early in the morning; the sun was just starting rise above the Equestrian horizon. Soarin’ was buzzing around the kitchen preparing Twilight’s breakfast; which consisted of a bowl of his famous apple cinnamon oatmeal, a grapefruit, and a cup of tea. He carefully arranged the food on a serving tray and began flapping his wings to a hover. He picked up the tray with his front hooves and made his way to Twilight’s bedroom. Ever since he found out that Twilight was pregnant Soarin’ has been making Twilight a healthy breakfast every morning. He reached their bedroom; Twilight was still sleeping her chest slowly rising and falling with each breath. He placed the tray next to Twilight on her nightstand and went to check the day’s checklist. ‘Ok what do I need to do today…’ he thought scanning the list. ‘Reshelf and reorganize section Magic Theory… reshelf returned books… Twilight’s appointment with Dr. Stable…’ Feeling satisfied with the day’s duties Soarin’ headed downstairs to begin his work.

Twilight was lying on her bed, her forelegs wrapped around Soarin’s pillow. “Mmm… I love you Soarin’… your mane smells nice…” she said half asleep nuzzling the pillow. “It smells like cinnamon…” She loved cuddling with her husband, and she was lucky that he loved it as much as she does. She slowly opened her eyes expected to see the light azure stallion, but instead she was met by a pillow. “Oh you’re not Soarin’…” Soarin’ usually stayed in bed until Twilight woke, unless there was a lot to do. ‘We have to reshelf books and I have my appointment, but if he’s not here that means…’ She quickly turned over and was met by the tray of breakfast.

Her horn flared as the steaming bowl floated over to Twilight. She grabbed the spoon and took a hearty bite of the warm oats; fighting the urge to scarf the whole bowl down in ten seconds flat. She loved Soarin’s oatmeal; she wasn’t sure if it was the pieces of apple or the fact that Soarin’ always put extra cinnamon in. Twilight remembered when she was a foal her mother had to fight for her to take a bite of oatmeal, but she could eat bowl after bowl of Soarin’s oatmeal.

After finishing her breakfast Twilight gathered the dirty dishes and organized them on the tray. The trotted down the stairs to get stared with the day’s chores. As she reached the foot of the stairs she saw Soarin’ placing a stack of books on their respective shelves.

Soarin’ touched down on his hooves, proud of the job he did; Even though it was just simple chores. He turned his head and a smile grew on his face as he saw Twilight. “Good morning Twilight,” Soarin’ greeted. “I hope you slept well, and don’t worry; I already finished the chores for today.”

Making breakfast wasn’t the only thing Soarin’ did for Twilight. He always helped around the library, but over the last seven months Soarin’ has slowly started to do more and more of her chores until now he does pretty much does all her chores. “I would’ve helped Soarin’.”

“I know, but I don’t mind doing this,” Soarin’ said. “You were sleeping so well… I didn’t want to wake you.”

“Ok, I’m going to go get washed up for my appointment with Dr. Stable,” Twilight said as she head towards the bathroom. ‘I’m lucky to have him…’

Soarin’ had picked up a fresh quill in his mouth and began finishing some paperwork. Soarin’ was excited; today he was going to find out the gender and race of their foal. While he is hoping for a Pegasus he would love it no matter what. He lost track of time while thinking about his family.

Twilight returned to the library’s reading room; a brush moving through her mane. She saw Soarin’ staring off into space; a goofy smile plastered to his face. She loved his smile; it was a heartwarming smile that always made her happy. “You coming Soarin’?” Twilight asked trying to get the stallion’s attention.

Soarin’ shook himself out his trance. “Yeah Twilight… I’m coming.” Soarin’ made sure all the supplies they need were in his saddle bags. Twilight placed the blue bags in Soarin’s bag and secured them. They made their way out of the library and through the lively streets of Ponyville towards Ponyville General.

***

Twilight sat in a small examination room. The room had pure white walls and reeked of cheap disinfectant. She was waiting for the doctor to perform the ultrasound and wait was killing her. ‘What if something is wrong with our foal… What if…’ Twilight began to feel a panic attack coming and her breathing grew heavy.

Soarin’ was seated next to Twilight and he could hear her hyperventilating. He inched his hoof towards his wife until it made contact with Twilight slightly shaking hoof.

Twilight could feel a wave of calm roll over her. ‘No we did everything right so far…’

The door swiftly opened and a cream colored unicorn stallion entered. “Good afternoon Mrs. Twilight, oh and Mr. Soarin’,” he greeted.

“Good afternoon doctor,” Twilight and Soarin’ answered together.

The doctor quickly flipped through his clipboard floating in front of his face. “Ok all your tests look good so far… Are you ready for the ultrasound?” he asked.

“Yes,” Twilight answered softly.

“Good.” Dr. Stable moved a small machine over to the exam chair. He squeezed a gel on to Twilight abdomen and turned on the machine. He turned the monitor so Soarin’ and Twilight can see the view screen. “Ok… hmm this is different…” The doctor stated carefully examining the image.

‘Different…? Is there something wrong with our foal?’ Twilight could sense her panic attack returning.

“Don’t worry, your foals are perfectly healthy,” the cream coated stallion said proudly.

“That’s great,” Soarin’ said with relief. “Wait… foals?” Soarin’ asked making sure he heard him correctly.

“Yes, you are carrying twins,” he explained. The doctor felt the couple need some time together, so cleaned off the excess gel on Twilight’s swollen abdomen. “A nurse will be in soon finish the record, congratulations,” he said before leaving the room.

Soarin’ turned to Twilight a tear rolling down his face. “We’re having twins…” Soarin’ couldn’t contain his happiness and he threw himself around his wife. “I’m so happy Twilight… we’re going to have two foals…”

“I know… I-I don’t know what to say…” Twilight was at a loss for words. She couldn’t believe she was going to be a mother of two foals, but one thing still nagged her. “Soarin’ do you think we are ready?”

“I think we are… you’re going to be the mother of my foals… our foals… thank you.”

Shortly after Nurse Redheart came in and finished the paperwork for Twilight’s exam. She congratulated them on their coming family and led them to the exit. Twilight and Soarin’ made their way to Sugarcube Corner to celebrate the news. She told Soarin’ about her plans to go to Canterlot; she couldn’t wait to tell her parents.