• Published 23rd Jun 2012
  • 8,233 Views, 322 Comments

Two Lives Becoming One - manuccia



A collection of stories about Soarin's life, his marriage, and his family.

  • ...
17
 322
 8,233

Unexpected Love - Ch. 2

It was morning in Cloudsdale, and a light blue Pegasus was in the Wonderbolt’s mess hall, getting ready for the most important meal of the day. Seated in front of him is the greatest delicacy to ever grace Celestia’s great green Earth. A fresh baked apple pie. Soarin’ was particularly happy today, because today he was going to be meeting his marefriend for lunch. ‘I can’t believe I have a marefriend. I just met her yesterday and a few hours later we are dating.’ Soarin’ couldn’t believe how fast things went with Twilight, and is just hoping he not messing anything up. ‘I need to take things slow with Twilight. I don’t want to mess this up, and even though I just met her I don’t want to lose her.’

“Good morning, Soarin’,” Spitfire greeted with a groggy smile. The golden mare sat next to the stallion and she noticed the half eaten pie. “I know you love pie, but for breakfast?” she asked playfully.

“Why not, you know what they say: An apple pie a day keeps the doctor away,” he answered with a mock serious tone.

“I don’t think that is the saying,” the mare chuckled. “So Soarin’, why don’t you tell me about Twilight.”

Soarin’s jaw dropped. “Uh… what are you talking about?” he said nervously.

“You know… Your marefriend,” Spitfire said.

“How do you know about?” Soarin’ asked in confusion.

“Well, first you have a smile that is about to split your face in two,” the fiery Pegasus explained. “Two, you were mumbling her name all night.”

“Oh, I guess that makes sense,” Soarin’s said with a sheepish smile. ‘I didn’t know that I mumbled in my sleep,’ Soarin' thought. "But wait, how did you hear me mumbling?"

"You left the door to your room open," Spitfire explained. "Also, you weren't that quiet. I wouldn't be surprised if half the team heard."

"Oh," Soarin' replied.

“So, when I do I get to meet the mare that stole my best friend’s heart?” Spitfire asked while playfully prodding the stallion’s chest.

“Well, I am taking her to the big gala next week.”

"Really Soarin'? I know your a romantic, but doesn't mean you have to go from bachelor to husband in ten second flat.” Spitfire said with a smile.

"Spitfire, I am not going that fast, but I was going to ask Twilight take things slower," Soarin' said blushing.

"But in all seriousness, I would like to meet this mare," Spitfire said. "What is she like?" she asked.

“She is very smart and a very nice mare,” the stallion said as images of the unicorn mare began to flood his mind.

“Ok, ok, don’t get all misty eyed on me you hopeless romantic,” she joked as she began to make her way out the mess hall. “Have a good day, Soarin’.”

‘I guess I need to head to Ponyville.’ Discarding his empty pie tin, the Pegasus headed for the open skies. Soarin’ has heard a lot about Twilight’s friends and couldn’t wait to meet them. He made out the outline of the quaint town and sped off towards his destination.

***

Twilight was preparing for her big day; happily bounding around her kitchen preparing breakfast with a smile that would rival Pinkie’s. The room filled with the sickly sweet smell of maple syrup and the savory scent of frying hay bacon. On any normal day, Twilight would just have a bowl of oats for breakfast, but today she decided to make something special because she has somepony special on her mind. The mare couldn’t keep the pie-loving Pegasus out of her thoughts. ‘I can’t wait to see Soarin’ again. I have only known him for a few hours, but it feels like I known him for years.’ Twilight was so engrossed in her thoughts, that she didn’t notice the entrance of her #1 Assistant.

“Good morning, Twilight,” the young dragon greeted as he sat down at the nearby table. “What are you so happy about?” he asked after noticing the mare’s unusually cheerful demeanor.

“Uh no reason, I made you your favorite,” the unicorn said as she levitated two plates and a glass to her hungry assistant. “A stack of pancakes with extra rubies, a side of hay bacon, and a glass of apple juice,” she proudly presented. “Oh, and don’t worry about today’s to-do list. I already finished it,” she said pointing to the rolled up scroll.

Spike was eager to dig into the stack of heart-shaped pancakes. ‘Wait, why would Twilight make heart-shaped pancakes?’ the purple dragon asked himself. The dragon gazed at the hot stack of heart-shaped pancakes, then he switched to look at the unusually cheerful Twilight, heart-shaped pancakes, cheerful Twilight, pancakes, Twilight. Out of curiosity, Spike decided to check out Twilight ‘list of things to complete by the end of the day’, and as he read he finally put two and two together.

A devious grin spread across his face. “So, Twilight, how long has Soarin’ been your coltfriend?”

“What… What do you mean…? I don’t have a…” Twilight stammered in shock. Sure, she was going to tell Spike about Soarin’, but she didn’t expect his to find out this soon.

“Oh come on Twilight, it’s obvious,” the dragon stated.

“What do you mean?”

“First, you’re so happy, you make Pinkie Pie seem depressed in comparison.”

“What’s wrong with being happy?” the mare retorted.

“Second, you made me pancakes…”

“Because I appreciate my #1 Assistant,” Twilight interrupted.

“In the shape of hearts?” Spike asked.

“Well… I uh… I can…”

“Just admit it Twilight,” Spike pleaded.

“Ok… I have a coltfriend, but how did you know his name?” the unicorn asked.

“Let us check your to-do list,” the dragon said as he began to open the scroll. “First, finish list of things I need to finish by the end of the day.”

“What’s so strange about that?” she asked in confusion.

“Let me continue,” Spike said before he cleared his throat. ”Soarin’… Soarin’… Soarin’… Soarin’… Soarin’… Lunch with Soarin’… Soarin’… Soarin’ and that continues for about a hundred more times.”

“Oh,” Twilight said as a furious blush spread across her face.

“So, you met this guy yesterday and after a few hours you are dating him?” the dragon asked. “Don’t you think that is going a little fast?”

“Excuse me, Mr. Casaneighva, last time I checked you were ready to propose to Rarity the second you met her.”

“Ok, ok,” Spike mumbled as he piled mounds of steaming pancake into his mouth.

Twilight decided to sit down with her own breakfast. While she was eating she began to think about what Spike said. ‘Am I going too fast with Soarin’? I know I just met him and know that I think of it, it all happened pretty fast.’ This might be Twilight’s first experience dating, but she had some knowledge on the subject. ‘I remember reading that a relationship should been taken slowly, and it should feel natural. I know we kind of rushed, but everything felt natural. It felt right. Almost like we squeezed a month of dating into a few hours.’ She decided that she is going to ask Soarin’ if they can slow down, so they do things right. Now, she just wanted to see him again, and as she finished her breakfast she heard a knock on the door.

“I’ll get that, Twilight,” Spike said making his way to the door.

As she levitated the dirty plates into her sink, a brilliant white unicorn trotted into the small room.

“Good morning, Twilight,” Rarity greeted with grace.

“Hello, Rarity. Is there something I can help you with?” Twilight ask, motioning Rarity to sit.

“Yes, I would like to borrow that book on historical fashion,” the white unicorn admitted. “I’m looking for some inspiration.”

“Ok…”

***

Soarin’ had finally reach Twilight’s library. After knocking on the door, he quickly ran his front hoof through his mane. ‘Ok mane, check. Breath…’ Soarin’ blew onto his hoof and took a hearty sniff. ‘Ok, my breath doesn’t stink.’ After a few moments, the door was opened by a purple dragon.

“Hello, you must be, Soarin’,” the dragon said.

“Yes, I’m here to see, Twilight.”

“Come in, I’ll tell you’re here,” Spike said, welcoming him into the tree house. “By the way, my name is Spike.”

“Nice to meet you, Spike.” Soarin’ watched as the dragon scurried off to inform Twilight. While he waited for Twilight, he could hear her voice, and he heard another voice. ‘I wonder what they are talking about?’ he asked himself as he trotted to the source of the noise. ‘Wait, what am I doing? I shouldn’t eavesdrop,’ he mentally berated himself. As he walked away, something caught his ear.

“I didn’t know that,” Twilight said.

“Yes darling, that is the fastest way for a respectable unicorn to ruin their reputation,” he heard the other mare say. “You promise you will never do that.”

“Yes, of course.”

Soarin’s mind was frantic. ‘No that can’t be it.’ Soarin’ lived in Canterlot for a few years, and he remembered how Canterlot’s Upper classes’ prejudice against pegasi/unicorn relationships. That was the reason that Soarin's mother hid who she was and why his father despised him. ‘No, that can’t be it; Twilight isn’t embarrassed to date me, is she?’ He could feel the tears welling in his eyes. Soarin’ hoped to Celestia that he only being paranoid.

“I would never date anypony like that,” heard Twilight say.

With that, Soarin’ could feel his heart break. ‘I need to get out of here,’ he thought as he frantically ran towards the door. Soarin’ sped through the busy town, leaving a river of tears in his wake. He just wanted the heartbreak to go away. ‘I guess my parents were right, I am just an embarrassment.’

***

“Thanks, again for the book, Twilight,” Rarity said, moving towards the door.

“No problem, Rarity,” Twilight said as she opened the door for her friend. “I can’t wait for you to meet my coltfriend, Soarin’. I just wish I knew where he went?”

“I can’t wait either,” Rarity giggled. “I hear he is quite the gentlecolt.”

“He is, and he is very handsome,” Twilight said. A blush grew on her face as she thought of the stallion.

“Good bye, Twilight. I’ll see you at a lunch,” Rarity said making her way to her Boutique.

“Bye, Rarity.” After Rarity was gone, Twilight wondered where Soarin’ was. ‘Spike said he was here,' she thought. She was being to worry because he was gone, but then brushed it off. ‘Well he is a Wonderbolt, something probably came up, and I’ll ask him at lunch.’ With that Twilight went up to her room to prepare for her day.