• Published 23rd Jun 2012
  • 8,233 Views, 322 Comments

Two Lives Becoming One - manuccia



A collection of stories about Soarin's life, his marriage, and his family.

  • ...
17
 322
 8,233

Love and Family - Ch. 2

Soarin’ was happily trotting through Canterlot castle. The halls of the majestic palace were filled with sounds of clopping hooves and idle chatter from the sophisticated royals who inhabited them. As Soarin’ trotted he thought of the events of the previous day. ‘I can’t believe I’m not going to be a Wonderbolt anymore.’ It has been Soarin’s dream to be a Wonderbolt since he was a colt and he has loved every year he spent touring with the team. He was going to miss flying with the talented pegasi, but this wasn’t about him, this was for Twilight. ‘Twilight’s happiness comes before mine.’ To Soarin’, giving up his dream was worth it if it meant spending the rest of his life with the mare that he loved, and that every day he will fall asleep and wake up with her by his side.

Soarin’ entered a room. There were a few well-dressed unicorns waiting in the corner and a white unicorn guard standing guard at the corridor leading to Princess Celestia’s private dining room. “Hello Captain Armor,” Soarin’ greeted. “Where is the Sergeant-at-Arms?”

“Hey Soarin’, the sergeant is sick with the feather flu, so I am taking his shift for today,” Shining explained. “I don’t have time to talk, but is there something I can do for you?”

“I would like an audience with Princess Celestia,” Soarin’ stated. He heard the scoffs of the unicorns waiting behind him.

“You aren’t the only one,” Shining said. “The Princess is getting ready for her lunch, so you might be waiting a while.”

“Can you tell her that I’m here, and that I want to talk about the rising sun,” Soarin’ said.

“Sure, but don’t expect much,” Shining stated warily as he headed out.

‘Rising sun’ was a code word Celestia told him to use if he need to talk to her. As he waited he could hear the unicorn ponies talking about him. He just ignored them, but one of them looked familiar he couldn’t quite remember from where though.

As soon as the armored pony left, he returned. “Soarin’,” Shining announced with a confused look on his face. “The Princess requests that you join her for lunch. Right this way,” the blue maned unicorn motioned him through the door. “You must be close to the Princess because she never talks business during lunch.”

“Well it’s not really business and it’s a long story,” Soarin’ explained. “Who were those ponies back there waiting?"

“Representatives from the sun and moon,” Shining explained. “Ever since the Princess found out about that stunt they pulled on you and Twilight she looked into them. It turns out you two weren’t the only couple they discriminated against, so the Princess pulled their endorsement of the restaurant and stopped dinning there,” he said. “They have been coming here for weeks trying to get Princess Celestia to change her mind.”

“Really?”

"Yeah." They soon reached a large set of gilded doors. “Here we are the Princess is waiting,” Shining said opening the door.

Soarin’ entered the dining room as the door magically shut behind him. He trotted over to the dining table and saw that Celestia was sitting alone sipping her tea. Soarin’ slowly approached her. “Good afternoon Princess,” Soarin’ greeted.

Celestia slowly turned her head and smile when she saw Soarin’. “Hello Soarin’, come and sit,” Celestia said waving him towards the table.

Soarin’ trotted over and sat at the ornate table.

“It is nice to see you. I hope everything is well,” Celestia said placing a daisy sandwich on Soarin’s plate.

“Things are going good,” Soarin’ answered before taking a bite out of his sandwich. "I’m taking Twilight out dinner tomorrow.”

“Twilight is a lucky mare, any special occasion?”

“Yes, it is our sixth month anniversary,” Soarin’ explained. “I also plan to… uh… propose to her.”

“That’s wonderful Soarin’.” Celestia was happy to hear that her son was going to propose to his marefriend, but something was nagging her. ‘Son… Soarin’ will always be my colt, but does he see me as a mother? I know he said he appreciated what I did for him, but am I a mother to him or just a princess?’ Celestia wished that when she meet him, that she raised him instead of sending him to live in Cloudsdale with Spitfire and her mother Fire Fly. She wished she could have been a mother.

Soarin’ stopped eating, he noticed that the princess’s usual warm smile was gone and she was staring blankly. “Princ… I mean Celestia, are you ok? Is something wrong?” Soarin’ asked worried about the princess.

“Oh… I’m sorry Soarin’,” Celestia said looking at the Pegasus. “I was just thinking”

“About what,” Soarin’ asked.

Celestia sighed. She didn’t want to talk to Soarin’ about this, but she remembered telling her student to never be afraid to talk about you feelings. She had to ask. “Soarin’ you have grown into an amazing stallion, and I remember when you were just a colt… What I’m trying to say is you are my son and you always will be,” Celestia said. She took a deep breath. “What I want to know is do you see me as a mother? A real mother.”

“Of course you are my mother,” Soarin’ said. Soarin’ could tell that Celestia was upset. Her usual smile was replaced with a small frown.

It was very rare for Celestia to feel ashamed. She hung her head low. “Some mother I was… I sent you off to Clousdale and my own son was nothing more than a line item on my schedule,” Celestia said softly. “I was no better than your real parents.”

“Never compare yourself to those ponies,” Soarin’ said raising his voice. “You were an amazing mother. You never hit me, you cared for me. You didn’t insulted or degraded me, you supported me,” Soarin’ went on, tears welling in his eyes. “You never ignored my cries for help, you protected me. My parents never loved me. I was only a mistake to them, but you loved and cared for me and for that you will always be my mother… my mom.” Soarin’s tears were know rolling down his matted checks. He loved his mom and didn’t like seeing her upset.

“Soarin’…” Celestia said moving closer to the crying stallion and held him close. “Please don’t cry my colt… my son,” She said gently wiping his tears. “I love you son.”

“I love you too mom,” Soarin’ said wrapping his hooves around the white alicorn.

Celestia always savored the moments she could spend with Soarin’. She just wanted to sit there holding her son. It reminded her of when he was colt. “How long will you be in Canterlot?”

“A few days,” Soarin’ answered.

“Do you have any place to stay?”

“No.”

“You can stay in a suite in the castle,” Celestia said.

“Thanks, I appreciate it.”

Soarin’ finished his lunch with his mother. They talked about the times when Celestia would visit Soarin’ when he was a colt. “This was a nice lunch,” Soarin’ said. “Thanks for seeing me today.”

“It is always nice to see you. I’m sorry but I have business to attend to,” Celestia said walking Soarin’ to the door. "One of the guards will guide you to your suite, oh and Soarin’ you are a true gentlecolt for what are doing for Twilight,” Celestia said.

“What do you mean?” Soarin’ inquired.

“Giving up your position on the Wonderbolts for her,” the white alicorn stated. “You must truly love her and my student is lucky to have you.”

Soarin’ was shocked. He wasn’t sure how she knew what him leaving the ‘Bolts. “How did you know about that?” Soarin’ asked. Soarin’ was getting nervous he didn’t wanted it to be a surprise for Twilight.

“The paperwork was sent to me last night for my review,” Celestia explained. “Don’t worry Spitfire made sure that it won’t be announced until you after you propose.”

Soarin’ sighed in relief. “Thanks, I’m going to get settled. I’ll see you some other time.”

“Goodbye Soarin’,” Celestia said waving goodbye.

***

Twilight was sitting in her bedroom organizing her research. She felt worried so she was trying to keep her mind occupied. It has only been a day since she had seen Soarin’, but it felt like a year. Sometimes she wished Soarin’ would leave the Wonderbolt’s, but she thinking about that made her feel worse. Being a Wonderbolt was his dream and she couldn’t ask him to give it up. It would be like Soarin’ asking her to give up magic or reading. She just wished she could see him more and she didn’t have the nagging feeling in the back of her mind. The one that told her every time she saw him it was going to be the time Soarin’ told her he couldn’t see her anymore. She knew it didn’t make sense and that Soarin’ loved her, but that stop it from scaring her or keeping her up at night. She sighed realizing that she hasn’t made any progress in her organization.

“Uh Twilight what are you doing?” Spike asked.

Twilight turned her head and saw her assistant standing with an envelope in his hand.

“Organizing my research notes,” she answered.

“Whatever you say Twilight,” Spike said. “You got a letter from Soarin’.”

Twilight used her magic and quickly grabbed the letter.

“I’ll be downstairs if you need me.”

Twilight opened the letter and started to read it.

Dear Twilight,

I hope everything is going good for you. I know that this Thursday is our sixth anniversary and that I have a practice for the Wonderbolts, but I have been thinking and it’s not right. That day is supposed to yours, ours, and I need to celebrate it with you. So, I’m taking you out to dinner so we can enjoy our night together. Meet me in Canterlot tomorrow at the Golden Pegasus at 5 pm. I love you Twilight and I can’t wait to see you.

With Love,

Soarin’

P.S: Our plans for the weekend are still on.

“Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!” Twilight yelled giddily hopping around the room. She couldn’t wait for her date.

***

Soarin’ sat in the suite that Celestia generously let him stay in. It was large ornate room, with a fireplace and canopy bed. Sitting by the bed sat a small picture of Twilight. He always took it with him to remind him of his mare. It was what made that room a home to him. He bought an apple pie from a local bakery and had it for dinner. He was planning on visiting Twilight’s parents in the morning.

*knock* *knock*

‘Who could that be,’ Soarin’ thought as he trotted towards the door. Opening it he was met by a grey unicorn mare. He recognized her as Twilight’s mom. “Hello Mrs. Sparkle,” he greeted.

“It’s Star, not ‘Mrs. Sparkle’ you are making me feel old,” Star joked. “It’s nice to see you Soarin’. Can I come in?”

“Of course,” Soarin’ said letting the mare in. “Is there something I can do for you?”

“I heard from my son, Shining, that you were in town and I wanted to talk to you,” the mare explained. The two ponies sat a small table. She looked around the room and saw the picture of Twilight sitting on the nightstand. “That’s a nice picture of Twilight you have,” she commented.

“It is, that is her when I took her out for Hearts and Hooves day,” Soarin’ said. “I always try to keep it with me.”

“Why?” Star asked, “If you don’t mind me asking.”

“So in a way Twilight is always with me,” Soarin’ said. “I know it sounds kind of stupid.”

“No it’s not. It’s sweet of you,” the unicorn reassured him.

“Did you want to talk about Twilight?”

“No,” Star answered quickly. “When I first meet you, I thought I recognized you, but I brushed off because you were a Wonderbolt. I’ve been thinking and I have met you before; when you were a colt.”

Soarin’ was starting to get nervous. ‘Where is she going with this?’

“I wanted to talk to you about your parents,” she said calmly.

“They died on my sixth birthday,” Soarin’ lied. “What’s there to talk about?”

“No they didn’t Soarin’,” Star retorted.

Soarin’ gulped. He didn’t know how she knew that his parents weren’t dead. What worried him more was if she was going to tell Twilight?

Star noticed Soarin’ staring to shake and his eyes were darting around the room. She could tell he was nervous. “Soarin’ what they did to you was unspeakable,” Star exclaimed. “Before you ask I haven’t told Twilight. This is something you need to tell her, when you are ready, but I want to know what happened. Why did they hurt you?”

“It’s not something I like to talk about,” Soarin’ said. “I have only talked about with Spitfire and my adoptive mother.”

“Princess Celestia…”

‘How does she know that?’ Soarin’ was confused. How did she know that the sun Princess was his mother? “How did you know that?” he asked.

“I will tell you, if tell what happened with you parents.” Over the time Soarin’ dated her daughter she really got to know him. She thought highly of him as a gentlecolt and sweetheart. She was glad he was dating her daughter. She wanted to know what happened to him.

He didn’t like talking about his parents, but there was something about her. Twilight’s mother was very caring. He knew could trust her. “Ok.” Soarin’ took a deep breath. “It started when I was four and I taught myself how to fly…”