• Published 19th Apr 2016
  • 1,483 Views, 129 Comments

Starlight Over the Forest - DwarvishPony



Starlight Glimmer has a lot to learn. Not just about friendship, but life in general. She finds help in the most unlikely of places. When a peace-loving mare comes to town, Starlight may have unintentionally found more than friendship.

  • ...
3
 129
 1,483

10. Perspective

Dawn broke over Froggy Bottom Bog, allowing sunlight to filter through the trees and paint a light fog with a golden glow. It was nice. Serene even. Through the mist, two figures wearing saddlebaskets trotted along in silence. For some time, the only sounds that came from either of them were the gentle clopping of hooves on dirt and the occasional snapping of twigs.

"It's such a lovely day." One of the figures said gently, breaking the silence. "Don't you think so, Treesy?"

"It's nice." Tree Hugger agreed.

Fluttershy frowned slightly as she looked to her friend. Tree Huggers smile agreed, but her eyes told a completely different story.

"Is something the matter, Tree Hugger?" Worry knitted itself into Fluttershy's brow.

"Hmm?" Tree Hugger shook her head like she was trying to clear it. "I'm fine. Just... thinking, you know?"

"About what?" Fluttershy's eyes followed a squirrel as it ran down a tree branch and leapt to another tree.

Tree Hugger was silent for some time. After collecting her thoughts somewhat, she sighed. "I don't think I wanna talk about it."

"Okay." Fluttershy smiled politely. "I'm here if you need me." That was all she had to say on the matter. Fluttershy continued on, humming quietly to herself as she allowed her friend to think.

Tree Hugger followed about a half-length behind Fluttershy and wearing an uncharacteristic frown. Fog swirled around her hooves, playfully teasing her skin with a light chill.

The two continued on in relative silence with Fluttershy humming and watching the local critters in wonder and Tree Hugger watching her hooves plod forward. Eventually the two came to a relatively clear area with a few blackberry bushes dotted about.

"Thanks for helping me with this, Fluttershy." Tree Hugger said.

"Oh, of course. After all," Fluttershy smiled. "that's what friends are for. Although, a lot of the critters back home will love getting fresh-picked blackberries, too."

"I hope-" Tree Hugger started, only to stop mid-sentence.

"Hope what?"

"I-" Tree Hugger frowned. "I don't know. I was going to say I hope they taste good tonight, but..." The sentence hung in midair as Tree Hugger struggled to find the words. "I don't know if we're going to go."

Fluttershy frowned in confusion. "I'm sorry. Did we have plans tonight, Tree Hugger? I'm really sorry if I forgot." She lowered her head demurely. "Sorry."

"Wha- oh, no. Sorry, Fluttershy. I was talking about me and Star."

"Did you have plans together? Did- did she cancel?"

"Yes. No. At least, I don't think she did?" Tree Hugger lowered her head and scratched at the earth with a hoof. "She... she said she loved me last night."

Fluttershy blinked in surprise as she processed the words. Slowly, the gears turned in her head and her jaw dropped as she realized what Tree Hugger had just said.

"Oh my goodness!" Fluttershy's eyes widened as she brought a hoof in front of her mouth. "What did you say?"

Tree Hugger exhaled slowly and gathered her thoughts before going into her admittedly brief encounter with Starlight the night before. When she finished she stood silently with downcast eyes.

"Well, that doesn't sound like Starlight at all." Fluttershy said.

"I know. I just... She was so... gray. Like the stuff that made her unique was gone."

"I don't know what you mean." Fluttershy admitted.

"Her energy. It just didn't... flow." Tree Hugger struggled to find the right words to describe it. It was a hard thing to explain, auras and energies. Especially when you seemed to be the only one who could see things that way. Like trying to describe the color red to a pony who'd never seen it. Fluttershy nodded silently with a partial understanding of what Tree Hugger was trying to say. "Then I ran off." Tree Hugger flattened her ears against her head.

"You shouldn't be so hard on yourself." Fluttershy placed a gentle hoof on Tree Hugger's shoulder. "I don't know what I would do if somepony surprised me with something like that."

"You're probably right... I'm sorry, Fluttershy. I didn't realize I was bogging things down." Tree Hugger forced a small smile. "Let's pick some berries, okay?" Tree Hugger wasn't reassured in the slightest, though.

Fluttershy smiled gently, glad to have helped her friend at least a little bit. She and Tree Hugger began picking the delectable looking berries, carefully avoiding the thorns as they did.

"So, um, if you don't mind me asking, what were you and Starlight going to do?"

"We're going to watch the Agogo migration. Or we were... I don't know." Tree Hugger frowned.

"Oh. I'm sorry. Um, are you going to talk to her?"

Tree Hugger scratched a hoof at the ground, knowing what her answer should be.


"Do you think I'm a bad friend?" Tree Hugger broke the long silence. The two were sitting near the water's edge, eating a snack before heading back to Ponyville. Nearby sat two saddlebaskets filled to the brim with fresh berries. The sun hung high above them, though it did nothing to warm the bog.

Fluttershy was silent for a moment, letting the question hang between them. Somewhere in the distance a group of frogs created a chorus of croaking, reminding anypony who could hear where the bog's name came from.

"No." Fluttershy said firmly. "I think you reacted normally. You were scared, and you didn't know what to do."

Tree Hugger didn't seem to take any solace in Fluttershy's claim. She let herself flop backwards, staring upwards in introspection. "But what if I could have-"

"Tree Hugger," Fluttershy interrupted. "you're a kind pony. But you're still just a pony. Everypony does things they're not proud of. But that doesn't mean you can't fix what you did. You just need to go to Starlight, apologize, and talk to her about your, um," Fluttershy flushed red. "relationship."

"You're right," Tree Hugger let out what felt like the millionth sigh of the day. "I'll talk to her when we get back." Tree Hugger sat back up and wrapped her forelegs around her friend in a tight hug. One that Fluttershy did not return.

Fluttershy felt tense. Like she didn't like the contact. Tree Hugger broke away and looked at her friend in confusion.

"Fluttershy, are you..." Then she saw it. The yellowness about her friend that clung to her. Fluttershy was afraid of something. Her expression confirmed it. Fluttershy's pupils had shrunk to pinpricks as her mouth moved wordlessly.

Dread filled Tree Hugger. A small part of her seemed to disconnect, pointing out that the croaking of the frogs had stopped. Slowly she turned, looking back at the bog.

Water churned and roiled as a large figure slowly rose. Brownish scales coated the thing's thick body. Four elongated necks sprouted from the body, each capped with a head that faced the two ponies on the shore. Four pairs of eyes stared with a hunger within them. The disconnected part of Tree Hugger's mind pulled the thing's name forward from memory. Hydra.

"Fluttershy," Tree Hugger spoke in a trembling voice. "run."

Fluttershy needed no other prompts as she turned and ran into the bog, Tree Hugger just behind her.

Author's Note:

Whew. This was so long overdue it's not even funny. Sorry about that. Pneumonia is no fun. On the bright side, I'm improving. Yay! :yay:

Next chapter is already in the works and should be up in a few days max. We're in the home stretch now!

If you find any mistakes please PM them to me. I worry that my medicine-addled brain may have missed something.