• Published 19th Apr 2016
  • 1,475 Views, 129 Comments

Starlight Over the Forest - DwarvishPony



Starlight Glimmer has a lot to learn. Not just about friendship, but life in general. She finds help in the most unlikely of places. When a peace-loving mare comes to town, Starlight may have unintentionally found more than friendship.

  • ...
3
 129
 1,475

9. Starlight is Blunt

"Starlight, what in Equestria are you doing!?" Twilight thundered into the library with Spike on her back and Flurry Heart cradled in her magic, her voice a mix of shock and irritation. She stopped dead as her brain attempted to process the crimes against book-kind that was the aftermath of Starlight's spell.

Loose papers floated to the floor, forcefully removed from their safe, hardbound covered homes. Hardly any books remained on the shelves in Starlight's vicinity. Twilight's eyes tracked one of the last pieces of papers as it gently floated to the ground. It took her a moment to pick her jaw off the floor and collect her thoughts.

"Starlight," Twilight said through her barely contained anger. "what did you do?"

"I-" Starlight began.

"Is everypony okay?!" Cadence ran into the room. "What's all the commotion?"

"I was just trying to figure that out." Twilight answered.

"Starlight was using magic. I dunno what though." Spike chimed in.

Flurry Heart squirmed, fussing about and reaching for her mother. Cadence gently took Flurry in her magic, allowing Twilight to gently release the babe from her own magic and focus on the issue at hoof.

"Starlight," Twilight took a deep breath. "you're going to fix the library, right?"

"Yes." Starlight answered.

"Good. Now, care to explain what potentially dangerous magic you were casting in the library without any sort of safety spells in place to protect the books?" Twilight asked with a raised eyebrow. "Or yourself?" She added.

"Emotional suppression spells." Starlight answered evenly.

"Spells?" Twilight stressed. "As in plural. Like more than one?"

"Yes."

Twilight sighed and placed a hoof to her temple in an attempt to stave off the headache threatening to start.

"And you cast these on yourself?" She asked.

"Yes."

"Why in Equestria would you do that?" Frustration began to creep into Twilight's voice.

"I might be able to explain that one." Cadence piped up. "I was talking to Starlight about," she hesitated, biting her lip. "about somepony liking somepony. She... misinterpreted what I was saying and ran off before I could explain."

"Wait, what?" Twilight turned her attention to Cadence. "Who liking who?"

"Me being in love with Tree Hugger." Starlight stated with no emotional inflection whatsoever.

"You're in love?" Twilight asked in equal parts confusion and surprise.

"I didn't know Starlight had a special somepony." Spike said, slightly impressed.

"Wait, Tree Hugger's your special somepony?" Twilight turned to Starlight.

"No!" Cadence cried in exasperation, gaining everyone's attention in the process. "Starlight," She began firmly. "I wasn't saying you were in love. Not even I could tell something like that just by looking at somepony, and I'm the Princess of Love. I just wanted to know who you had a crush on. Just a crush. Nothing serious."

"Oh." Starlight blinked. If she were surprised at all Starlight didn't, or couldn't, show it.

"Now, why don't we get the library cleaned up, reverse the spell you cast on yourself, and talk about this like reasonable ponies."

"Okay." Starlight replied flatly.


Several hours, one cleaned and reshelved library, and countless attempts at a counterspell had brought Twilight and Cadence no closer to reversing the spell upon Starlight Glimmer.

"Ugh!" Twilight let her face fall into the book she was scouring as she groaned in frustration. "I can't find anything!" Twilight said into the book. "What were you thinking, Starlight?"

"I was trying to avoid feelings of love. Suppressing emotion seemed like a good way to solve the problem." Starlight replied flatly.

Twilight facehoofed, trying her hardest to avoid snapping at her pupil.

"Here you guys go." Spike, still clad in his pink apron, brought in a trolley piled with snacks and hot cocoa. "Any luck?" He asked as he began placing drinks in front of everypony.

"No. Although it would be easier if we knew how much of each spell was used." Twilight shot Starlight a pointed look. Starlight shrugged nonchalantly.

"I don't see why we need to change me back. I can still study magic and friendship this way." Starlight's tone, or lack thereof, was devoid of any inflection. It reminded Twilight of Pinkie's sister, Maud.

"But friendship is about what it makes you feel! The smiles, the arguments, the laughter when you resolve those arguments. How can you enjoy somepony's company when you can't smile, or laugh, or, or-" Twilight groaned as she looked at Starlight's stony expression. Clearly her words were having no effect upon Starlight.

"Maybe we should take a quick break. I think we're all a bit tired." Cadence suggested. Twilight grumpily mumbled something that could be considered agreement, and everypony took the moment to munch on oatmeal cookies and sip at the warm cocoa. "The cocoa is really good, Spike."

"Thanks. It's a secret dragon recipe." Spike bragged.

"Cadence?" Starlight spoke up. "How does somepony know if they're going on a date with somepony? I want to know."

Cadence tilted her head slightly, uncertain of how to take the question. It was harder than one would think, figuring out how to respond to a question when it was asked with such a plain tone.

"Well," Cadence began slowly. "usually a date is something that gets discussed beforehoof. The ponies discuss it, and if both ponies are in agreement it's a date."

"I see." Starlight responded. "I have to go do something."

"I don't think it's a good idea to leave, Starlight." Cadence cautioned, shooting a sidelong glance to Twilight.

"Okay." Starlight said. She stood and began walking from the library.

"Where are you going?" Twilight asked.

"To go do something."

"No, not until we fix you." Twilight's words carried an unspoken warning. They had no effect, however, and Starlight magicked herself from the room before Twilight could stop her. Twilight stared in horror at the spot Starlight had been standing in. "I really shouldn't have had her work on teleportation spells."


Starlight was wandering the streets of Ponyville, her head moving back and forth as she scanned everypony she passed. Any strange looks she got as a result of this went ignored by the mare, who was clearly looking for something.

"Howdy, Starlight." A deep, familiar voice greeted. "Y'all okay?"

"I'm fine."

Big Mac frowned, puzzled by the way Starlight answered.

"You sure? You sound a mite... off."

"I'm sure."

"Well, if'n you say so." Big Mac furrowed his brow, certain he was missing something. "Y'all can always talk to me if you need it. I hear I'm a good listener."

"Okay." Starlight continued on her way, oblivious to the state of confusion she'd just left one of her new friends in.

She continued through the market, checked inside Sugarcube Corner, and even checked in front of town hall. Whatever Starlight sought was nowhere to be found. She took a deep breath and turned down a side path. In the waning light of day, she knew that the next location she was going to check was dangerous. But Starlight Glimmer didn't feel fear anymore, so she trotted towards the Everfree Forest.

Starlight didn't need to head in the Everfree. Thanks to convenient timing or sheer luck, the something, or somepony in this case, wasn't in the forest. Tree Hugger trotted from the treeline, looking mildly surprised to see Starlight.

"Hey, Star. I didn't expect to see you here." Tree Hugger greeted. "I just finished up a meditation session. You should have been there. It was transcendent."

"Is tomorrow a date?" Starlight asked, catching Tree Hugger completely by surprise.

Tree Hugger flushed a light shade of pink as she opened and closed her mouth repeatedly in an attempt to process what Starlight had just asked her.

"What, like, brought this on?" Tree Hugger finally managed to ask.

"I was speaking to Cadence and she said I was in love with you."

Tree Hugger stood in stunned silence as she mulled over this information. For the longest time, she didn't say anything.

"Um, I- I need to go. I'm going to need to realign my chakras." Tree Hugger brushed past Starlight with a flustered look on her face.

Starlight watched Tree Hugger go, unsure of what was wrong. She stood in silence for a few moments after Tree Hugger had disappeared from view before trotting back to the castle.