• Published 29th Mar 2016
  • 831 Views, 56 Comments

The War of Equestria - rainbowtiger00



Some heroes are made. Some are born. But very few actually want to be ones...

  • ...
8
 56
 831

Defense of Craggertooth Fort


Jonathan stood at the edge of the cave, holding a torch and watching the stars in the sky. The night sky was a dark blue, with hints of dark purple at the edge of the horizon where the sun was beginning to slowly rise.

The winter night was growing bitterly cold. Despite the warmth that a cooking fire would give, Jacomina had forbidden any cooking fires as that would locate other Exile Legion warriors to their location. As she put it, torches were bad enough as they glowed like fireflies in the night. Africanus, Andromeda, and he had spent the rest of the afternoon rounding up everybody that couldn't fight.

Most of them were already inside the cave, but a few had yet to be found. Leona and a male Engel named Hallmark were on the lookout for the Second and Third Commanders.

The Commanders were taking longer to arrive than expected, as it was an hour and a half away from sunrise. They had awaited them the whole night with Jonathan dozing off whenever he got the chance to sit down. Jacomina found the delay a pleasant surprise, as she could strength the defense of her fort more with the extra time. He found it rather unlikable. The waiting had him antsy and fearful of the arrival of the Commanders.

His gut ached with fear, something that had been happening recently.

His stomach growled as he hadn't eaten yet. Africanus suddenly jumped down beside him, startling him. The torch fell onto the ground where it went out. Jonathan bent down to pick it up while Africanus straightened. “Oh, sorry Jonathan. Didn't mean to scare you like that.” Jonathan stood up and gave him a half smile.

“It's okay. Jacomina probably likes it out anyway.” Africanus smiled and nodded. “True that.” He reached into a hidden pocket in his pants.

“Here Jonathan. I haven't seen you eat all night, and fighting a battle with an empty stomach is not recommended. As they say, an army marches on its stomach.” Africanus handed him a piece of bread. Jonathan took it and ate a bite. “Thanks.” Jonathan glanced back at the stars, while he chewed the bread.

They were still in the sky, but the bottom most ones were beginning to fade. Africanus leaned against the stone wall of the mountain and crossed his arms. “It has been a long night for sure.” Jonathan nodded. “Yes, it has.”

He paused. “Africanus, you have fought battles before, right?” Africanus glanced at him. “Yeah.” Jonathan looked at the ground.

“When you are waiting for one to start, …is it normal for one to be afraid for the coming of the battle?”

Africanus chewed on his cheek as he thought. “Such a question. Hm.” An elderly male Katze was slowly walking toward the cave. His hair was white as snow, and his fur was dark brown the color of chocolate.

He stumbled upon the ground and fell. Africanus started and went over to help the man up. He guided him into the cave and settled him down. Then he returned to his original position. “Is it normal?”

Africanus put his hand to his mouth in thought. “Well, here is a question for you. Is it normal to have fear?” Jonathan raised an eyebrow. “Yeah.

Everybody is afraid of something.” Africanus looked at his hand and clenched it slightly. His claws came out. “Can the knowledge of something cause fear?”

Jonathan watched Africanus as he examined his claws as would a human with their nails. “Yes.” Africanus noticed a claw that broken and picked the broken part off. “Well. You can't be afraid of something that you don't know is going to happen, but you can be afraid of something that you know is going to happen.”

Africanus glanced at the stars. “I would say that it is perfectly normal to be afraid because in a battle you can lose many things.” His whiskers twitched. “I always have a bad feeling in my gut when I know a battle is going to happen. I think that you would be hard pressed to find a warrior who wasn't afraid.”

Jonathan nodded. “Thanks, Africanus,” Africanus smiled. “anytime.”

Andromeda came toward the cave, with the black-haired, green-eyed, gray-furred Katze boy in her arms. He looked frightened. Andromeda was trying her best to comfort him. “It's going to be okay, little one. We won't let the Commanders get you, or your family.”

Andromeda's wings were folded onto her back so that she didn't have to avoid bumping them into things.

She went into the cave and handed the boy to his mother who cradled him. The boy saw Jonathan watching, and grabbed at Andromeda's sleeve. She bent over to him as the boy spoke to her. Andromeda glanced at Jonathan, then nodded at the boy. The boy nodded in return and clung to his mother.

Africanus's ears lowered. “Poor kittens.” Jonathan blinked. “Kittens?” Africanus glanced at him.

“I mean 'children'. My kind refers to our young as kittens.” Jonathan nodded. “Oh, all right then. That makes sense.

Do the other two races call their young different names as well?” Africanus smiled. “Yes in fact. Engels call their young, 'hatchlings', and Fisch calls their young 'Fry'.

He looked at the boy. “Are the kittens of this fort unhappy?” Africanus nodded. “The whole Demons of Shadow was hard enough, but add in the Exile Legion and you have most of them scared beyond anything I've ever seen. They have nightmares at night of their family being hurt by either enemy and they jump at sudden noises.

It has been awhile since I'd seen them play games with each other. Jacomina has tried everything to help them, but. Well.” Africanus sighed. “What can you do?

Kittens and kids are smart, they can tell when things are being hidden from them. We want to give them the answers, but we must be careful about it. Any young does not deserve to face the horrors of war. It's my duty to ensure that more of the young of my kind do not have to suffer from other's actions.” Jonathan nodded.

“A good duty to have.” Africanus nodded in return. “Indeed.” Andromeda walked up to them. “Well, that's the last one.

Jacomina can now seal the cave up, and we can continue to await the Commanders.” Africanus stood up. “I shall go and inform her of the news.” He scrambled up the wall of the rock. Andromeda turned to Jonathan.

“The sun will rise in a bit. Better make sure that cloak doesn't fall off, or you will get burned.” Jonathan looked at the cave. “What did the boy want?” Andromeda glanced at the cave.

“He wanted to know if you were going to help protect them or not. Seeing a human doing nice things to them isn't as much of a common sight anymore.” Jonathan looked at the cave. A grown up Katze would occasionally stare at him when they thought he wasn't looking. When he turned to look at them, they would quickly glance away.

“Is it not that much of a common sight for adults as well?” Andromeda shook her head. “Not in this time. Grownups, though, can remember the times when humans were nice. Don't know if that is bad or good in the long run.”

Jonathan stared at his necklace. “One thing I hope to accomplish is getting this necklace off my neck.” Andromeda raised an eyebrow. “…Can't you just unhook it from the back or something?” Jonathan shook his head.

“Try it yourself.” He lifted his hood off, revealing his black, red, and gray locks. Turning around, he allowed Andromeda to reach up and grasp the silver chain. Her fingers found the hook and made the motion to unhook it. “What?”

She tried again, to no avail. Jonathan glanced over his shoulder to find her struggling to unhook it. She growled out each word. “I… can't… get… this… off!”

She let go of the chain and sighed heavily. “What is with that necklace? Why can't I take it off?” Jonathan shrugged. “Beats me.

Something about me being sworn to protect the past form of this land when I took the oath.” Andromeda cocked her head. “What was the name of this land, anyway?” Jonathan scratched his forehead. “Equestria.”

Andromeda blinked. “Equestria?” Andromeda's brow furrowed. “Wait. What kind of inhabitants are in the past?”

Jonathan held a hand, counting them off. “Er, let's see. There were Pegasi, Unicorns, and Earth Ponies.” Andromeda bit her lip. “Was there anything that you were supposed to guard.

Keep safe? Something like that?” Jonathan chewed his cheek at the odd question. “Well, according to Twilight their main source of protection was these magic items called the 'Elements of Harmony'. But then they have turned unusable ten years ago, the same time that I got my necklace.”

Andromeda touched hers. “I received mine ten years ago as well.” She suddenly frowned. “And I took an oath too.”

Her face filled with fear as the realization hit her. “What if I am to be sent to the past for a week, but turned out to be a year as well? Jonathan stiffened. “That… actually, could be a real possibility.”

He looked at her necklace, biting his lip. “Okay then. If you do get sent to the past, one do not freak out too badly at how the past inhabitants look like. They… look a little weird.”

Andromeda began to wring her hands in the air. “But that can't happen. I can't go to the past! I have friends to keep alive; Africanus, Leona, Jacomina. And a family to protect!

My mother, my father, my grandparents! I can't just leave them behind to save the inhabitants of the past!” Jonathan nodded at her. A tear fell from his eye. “Now you know how I felt.”

Andromeda stood still for a few moments. “Oh. Yeah.” She turned to look him in the eye. “I… am so sorry Jonathan. I.”

Jonathan brushed the tear away. “It's okay. I'm fine.” Andromeda gave him a weak smile. “But how do I prevent me from being transported there?”

Her hand touched her necklace again. “Maybe I could just take mine off.” She tried to unhook hers but was unable to. “Oh. I can't get mine off as well.”

Jonathan put the torch on the ground. “Here's my advice. Stay away from landmarks that came from the past, and you should be good.” Andromeda nodded. “I shall do that.”

Jacomina arrived on the scene, with full battle armor on. A bronze helmet with an amethyst jewel in the metal, was on her head pushing back her silvery locks so that they flowed down her back. The helmet only covered the back of her head, leaving the front open. There were holes on the top of the helmet that allowed her ears to poke out. A bronze choker studded with tiny amethysts was at her neck as well.

Bronze pauldrons were at her shoulders, with bits of amethyst lining the edges and her hands were wrapped in bronze colored chain mail gloves. Her chest was protected by a bronze chest plate. A leather belt that held an amethyst in the middle was at her waist. A black skirt draped to the ground, moving like liquid with her movements. Two long, thin swords were strapped to the belt.

She wore a blood red cape that flowed from one pauldron and covered one arm. She was both magnificent, and terrible at the same time. Africanus stood at her back, a spear in his hands. Jacomina addressed them. “Jonathan.

Andromeda. Stand back. This will require space. Those in the cave. Stand as far away as you can from the entrance.”

They did as she commanded, and she walked to the front of the cave. Swiftly she lifted her hand in front of the air. Her hand immediately glowed blue, and a shield appeared at the entrance. For a few seconds, it stayed there, then vanished. The entrance melted away to form solid rock that looked just like the ones surrounding it.

Jacomina lowered her hand. Africanus blinked, and stepped forward. Smartly, he rapped his fist against the area where the entrance used to be. “Is this really rock here?” He asked, arching an eyebrow.

Jacomina shook her head. “No. It is only meant to be a cover-up and a protection spell. But if the Second or Third Commander were to attack it with their Forbidden magic, this won't last long.” Jonathan nodded.

“So we better make sure that they keep well away from here.” Jacomina stepped back from the mountain rock. “Precisely,” Hallmark called down from the wooden wall. “Hey, Jacomina!

I think I can see the Commanders!” Jacomina stiffened and swiftly walked to where Hallmark was standing. Africanus headed into the town. Jacomina glanced over her shoulder. “You two, follow me.”

They followed her up the dirt path, and a ladder onto a wooden platform on the wall.

Hallmark was kneeling next to the wall, holding a silver telescope to his eye. He had spiky red hair and tanned skin. His wings were the turquoise green and were folded onto his back. Leona was standing next to him, her hand over her eyes staring out into the distance. A worried frown was on her face.

Andromeda bit her lip. “Jonathan, I am pretty scared.

I have heard so many rumors about the Second Commander. None of them are good. She is utterly merciless. And the Third Commander is known for his twisting dagger attacks, and his ability to hide in the shadows. The stories of what they can do with their Forbidden magic is terrifying enough.”

Jonathan placed his hand on Andromeda's shoulder. “It's going to be okay, Andromeda. There is only two of them. And lots of us.” Andromeda gave him a weak smile.

“Yeah, you're right.” Hallmark glanced at Jacomina as she came up to him. “Where do you see them?” He pointed out toward the distance. Jonathan looked in the direction.

Two far away figures were slowly walking up a hill, scanning the grass for potential animals to hunt. Jacomina glanced at him. “Jonathan, your skin and eyes have changed color.” Jonathan glanced at his hands. They were certainly paler than they should be.

Andromeda looked at him. “Jonathan has a Nightrunner rune. This is one of the Nightrunner rune effects.” Jacomina cocked her head. “I see.

Well then, that means he has better vision than the rest of us.” She outstretched a hand to Hallmark, who gave her his telescope. She handed the telescope to Jonathan. “Here. Tell us what you can see.”

Jonathan took the telescope and turned to the wall. He placed the end of the telescope to his eye. One figure moved with the practiced ease of a hunter. The other was not so smooth and seemed to walk rather stiffly. Jonathan got the idea that hunting was not in the figure's skill range.

One of the figures's lit a torch and held it above their heads. The torchlight revealed a man wearing a brown cloak with a hood. Daggers gleamed at his waist, and his brown gloved hand held another dagger ready to throw. He could see the glint of silver eyes. Beside him was a woman.

She was in gold and dark brown armor with a golden winged helmet.

A light brown bow with darker brown leaf carvings was strapped to her back, and a silver sword was hooked onto her belt. Her light brown hair flowed from her head. Her eyes were purple pinkish. She was slender and muscular. Jonathan started, nearly dropping the telescope.

A gasp escaped his lips. Andromeda looked at him questionably.

“What is it?” He pointed at the figures. “Those Commanders. I saw them. In one of my dreams.”

Jacomina glanced at them. “Before you is the Second and Third Commanders. Fierce, powerful beings they are. It will take all that this fort can give to drive them away.” She looked straight at Hallmark.

“Have they seen us yet?” Hallmark frowned. “Not yet. But they will.” Jacomina nodded and crossed her arms.

Her eyes had a hardened steel look in them.

“Hallmark, if anyone is severely injured, get them out of the battlefield as quick as you can. These people would not hesitate to kill a downed warrior.” Hallmark nodded. “Yes, ma'am.” Jacomina turned to Jonathan.

“I assume that in this dream of yours, you saw the Second and Third Commanders fight.” Jonathan nodded. “Yes, I did.” Jacomina blinked. “You are capable of fighting.”

It was not a question, yet he answered anyway. “Yes.” Jacomina gazed at him with her cat eyes. Jonathan got the unnerving feeling that she was studying him from head to toe. “…Do you have a weapon to fight them with then?

They will be here in a few minutes.” Jonathan automatically reached for the handle of his crystal halberd, only to stop when he touched nothing but air. “Uh.” He turned to Andromeda. “Andromeda, where is my crystal halberd?”

She looked at him, then turned around and glanced at the inside of the fort. “Um. I don't…” Her face lit up. “Oh! It's by Lightingfeet's stable! Africanus placed it there while you and I rounded up everybody.”

Jonathan frowned. “Right then. I better go fetch it.” He stepped down the ladder. Andromeda watched him go.

She bit her lip. The distance to the stable was rather far, and she was afraid that Jonathan wouldn't be able to reach it in time. Leona leaned over the wall. “Ma'am, I think they see us.” Jacomina swiftly turned to the wall.

Andromeda followed her gaze. The Second and Third Commanders seemed to be arguing. The male, which was the Third, was waving his hand about in the air at the fort. The Second had her sword drawn out and seemed to be polishing it. The Third stomped his foot and pointed toward a spot on the horizon. Then he pointed to the sky.

More stars were gone, and the dark purple was turning into a lighter shade at the edges. The Second waved a hand at him, cutting him off in the middle of his speech. She turned her gaze on the fort and swiftly advanced. The Third appeared to groan, but put out the torch and followed her. They ran very fast, their legs carrying them with astonishing speed.

Jacomina sighed softly.

“So they are coming here.” Andromeda glanced at her. “You sound like there was a chance that they would not. Jacomina looked at her. “There was a slight chance that they would not.

The Third is known for sometimes not attacking non-humans.” Andromeda felt her jaw drop. “Seriously?” Jacomina nodded. “It is rather rare, but yes.

Sometimes, especially if it is a child, he will not harm them. I suppose that somewhere in him is a hint of sympathy.” She gazed at the Third. “I wonder. What was he before all of this?

Has he changed for the better or worse?” For a moment, she watched him after making the odd comment. Then she left the wall. Andromeda followed, her hand straying to the handle of her blade. Hallmark quickly ducked behind the wall.

“Jacomina! They are here!” He hissed out. Jacomina kept moving swiftly with Andromeda. They arrived back in the middle of the fort.

The peak of the mountain hung over them. Andromeda stopped when she saw a tiny chunk of rock fall next to her feet. Slowly she looked up. She gasped. The Second Commander was on top of the peak, crouching.

Her purple pinkish eyes were gazing at her with a sinister curiosity. The light brown hair framed her helmet as she stared at Andromeda. Andromeda stiffened and grabbed her sword. Her hand was shaking slightly as she drew it out. Jacomina stopped farther down the path and turned back.

“What is it, Andromeda?” She asked, swiftly returning to her. She froze when she saw the Second Commander. With a smooth motion, she drew out her two swords and pointed them. The Second Commander dropped down from her perch and landed smoothly on her feet.

Gracefully, she pointed her sword at Andromeda with a sparkling glint in her eyes. “Come at me, if you dare Engel scum.” Her voice sounded out like music, tinkling in Andromeda's ears. Her gut clenched. Andromeda took a deep breath and swung at her.

The Second Commander easily blocked the move and swung one of her own. Andromeda barely had time to dodge it before it sliced off one of her feathers. The Second Commander struck again, and Andromeda tried to dodge. But the Second Commander swung her sword in front of where Andromeda was trying to go. Andromeda stumbled backward with a yelp and jabbed at the Second Commander.

The Second Commander blocked every single one, ending with their blades locked at the end. The Second Commander was only holding her sword with one hand. Andromeda felt her legs tremble as the Second Commander grabbed her by the shoulder. “You call that, something worthy of my time?” She asked.

The words were spoken as casually as someone saying hello, and as silkily as if she were speaking to a loved one. Andromeda felt a shiver of fear crawl up her spine. Jacomina's face remained blank, yet her voice carried all her anger. “Leave at once.” She commanded, swinging the blades with a skill to be envied.

The Second Commander glanced at Jacomina and snorted. “Really?” The Second Commander pushed Andromeda away and turned to Jacomina. “You present no challenge to me, Katze.” Jacomina thrust her blades forward.

“Why don't you find out?” The Second Commander raised her blade and charged.

Author's Note:

Tell me what you think.