• Published 29th Mar 2016
  • 832 Views, 56 Comments

The War of Equestria - rainbowtiger00



Some heroes are made. Some are born. But very few actually want to be ones...

  • ...
8
 56
 832

Katzes, Engels, and Fisch.


“Oh moon that shines in the sky
The moon I see, the moon I love
I ask you lady moon with your wings
Bestow upon me the bravery I need
to conquer, to win, to do anything…

So bring the thing I seek lady moon
with thy shine, with thy light
Cast upon me, I beseech you
Cast bravery, honor, and gain
So that I may sing like
the wolf that howls your name

Let me be the lone wolf
Oh moon that shines in the sky
The moon I see, the moon I love
I ask you lady moon with your wings
Bestow upon me the bravery I need.”

Jonathan finished reading the poem aloud and placed it back onto the table. Scootaloo, Twilight, and Spike were all gathered around at the table. It had taken some time to copy down the numbers into letters that were backward, and turn them into frontward. In fact, it had indeed taken them to sundown. But now, at last, they were done and the final produce was before them.

And it turned out to be some sort of poem.

His apple core lay nest to the paper, having been eaten some time ago. Glasses of apple cider had been fetched and now sat next to their owners, half empty. Twilight blinked, and took a sip of her cider. “Hm, a poem. Not what I had in mind.”

Spike yawned and stretched. “Well if you don't mind, I'm off to bed.” Scootaloo's wings flapped. “Yeah, I'm off too. See ya later.”

Spike and Scootaloo left, leaving Jonathan and Twilight alone. Jonathan chewed his cheek and looked at the poem. “Will this poem get me home?” Twilight shrugged. “It should, but I'm not 100% certain.

I have never been one much for poems really.” Her horn glowed with a pinkish aura, and she began to tidy up the table. Books, paper and quills flew above his head into their places. The setting sunlight glinted on the table. Jonathan sighed.

“What exactly are we going to do with it?” Twilight looked at the poem. “I think what I will do is activate your necklace again, then read the poem aloud. If that does nothing then I guess we could try something else. Visit the golem again, I suppose.”

Jonathan gripped the necklace. “And what if it does?” Twilight swept the final objects off the table. “Then you are home.” She cocked her head at him.

“I do wonder, though. Are there any other species in your world other than humans?” Jonathan blinked at her. “Huh? Species?”
Twilight explained. “Ya know, like other people. Different, intelligent life forms.” Jonathan shrugged. “Maybe…

I don't really know. All I have seen are humans, but that isn't saying a lot. I have lived in a town all my life. If there were any other species, I wouldn't know if they existed. The only one who would know is Elder Onyx Ashstone. He hinted at it once before.”

Twilight nodded, and trotted off to bed, leaving him to gaze at his reflection on the glossy crystal table.



The crystal bed at Twilight's was his size and the blankets were comfy, yet he just couldn't go to sleep. His gut just ached something fierce as he laid there. The moonlight had come in through the window and lit up the nearby wall with a silvery light. His boots were caked with mud from the previous night, so he had left them outside. His jacket was on the floor where he had dropped it.

The sheets were strewn across the bed from his constant tossing and turning. No matter what, he couldn't shake the fear that something awful had happened to his friends. It remained, like an ice cold hand on his heart. He kept catching himself staring at the ceiling. He groaned and looked down at his chest.

The necklace lay there, the cold metal seeping the warmth from his skin. He frowned and yanked it again. It didn't come off. With a sigh, he flopped onto his stomach.

The window gave him a full view of a perfectly full moon. He smiled. The moon was a pure white, that glowed with a silver light. It certainly seemed like something someone would dedicate a poem too. Lena had loved the moon back at home.

Always joked about it being a giant eyeball. With a smile on his lips, Jonathan drifted off to sleep…



The sound of crickets made them open again. He was standing in a grassy field that was surrounded by pine trees. It was nighttime, and the full moon was out. Stars sparkled in the heavens, and several silvery clouds could be seen near the moon. A campfire was before him with several people that had their backs turned to him in front of it.

They were hunched toward the fire as if the darkness made them afraid.

A horse was grazing nearby, and beside it was a wagon that had several bags in it. The wagon looked like it had seen many days of travel.

The grass was rather long, about up to his knees. Jonathan moved closer. “I wonder if anything huge and weird is going to happen?” He thought. A boy got up from lying in the long grass.

He yawned, and sleepily rubbed an eye.

Jonathan froze, and stared. His mouth fell open. The boy looked like a cat. He had cat ears, tiny fangs, whiskers, a cat nose, green cat eyes, and fur. His hands were like human hands with claws where the nails should be.

He also had hair, black hair that reached down to his chin. He wore ragged, dirty clothes, but his feet were bare. They looked like normal feet if you could also count for fur, and claws. A tail swished behind him. He seemed about twelve.

Jonathan slowly closed his mouth.

“Well, if this dream thing is accurate, it looks like we do have another species in our land.” Jonathan thought. It was rather odd but no worse than all the weird stuff that had been happening. An owl hooted in the night. The boy jumped, and scurried over to one of the people at the camp.

A closer look told him that there were four of them.

The four looked like cats as well. There was two males, one older and one younger. And there were two females. One was older than the other. The males both had bandages covering their arms and chests.

Bruises colored their arms as if they had been in a fight. Jonathan got the feeling that these people were very afraid.

All the ones in the group that looked like a cat had the same color of fur. Gray.

The only thing that was different was the shade. The younger had a darker shade while the older had a lighter shade. The younger female seemed to be a teenager while the older was about middle aged.
The younger male seemed to be a young adult while the older male seemed to be rather old. His fur had white patches all over, and his hair was turning silver.

The group of people looked deeply sad. Jonathan could see a small scratch near the older woman's eye. It was a shiny red, like a burn. No fur grew near it. The boy clutched at the older female tightly.

“Momma, the bad men gonna get us again!” He fearfully cried. She stiffened and grabbed him tightly. The others grabbed at their waists, drawing weapons. For several tense minutes, the group waited.

The older female glanced around, checking for the enemies. Her cat ears swiveled around as well.

When she found no enemy, she relaxed and patted the boy. "It's all right son. They aren't here.” Slowly, the others sheathed their weapons. The older female stroked the boy's hair softly.

“They shouldn't be here." The younger female snorted in disgust. "How is this Moon's Eye so sure that they won't?" Jonathan blinked.

"Moon's Eye?"

He thought. The older male sighed. "I don't know. But we have to trust whoever this Moon's Eye is. If we couldn't trust someone who has helped many of our kind, then I don't know what we can."

The younger female shook her head. “But what if they are with the Exile Legion?” The older female shook her head. “The Exile Legion isn't like that.” The younger male growled loudly.

"The Exile Legion only protects humans from the Demons of Shadow. No one else. They attack our race the Katzes, along the Engels, and Fisch! What did we do to them?!" The older female sighed and smoothed the hair of the boy.

"They just don't like those that aren't human because of everything that has happened." She looked at the crackling fire. “The only reason we are attacked is because we are most often in their way. Our kind along with the Engels and Fisch have to fight the Demons of Shadow to survive. We Katzes, are physically stronger and faster than humans, so they see us as a threat.

The Engels have wings for flight, and the Fisch live under the water. All are seen as a threat to humans.” The younger female sighed. “It doesn't help that most humans don't like us right now either.” The older male shook his head.

“Humans have always been afraid of the unknown. The Demons of Shadow only added to their fear.” He looked at the moon. “Believe me, though. Moon's eye is trustworthy.

Many of every kind; human, Katzes, Engels, and Fisch, have all found safety thanks to them. I trust Moon's Eye.” Jonathan looked at the moon as well. If one could imagine an iris in it, then it would definitely look like an eye…



Jonathan opened his eyes again to the soft light of sunrise. It had officially been a week. Jonathan kicked off the blankets and put on his jacket. He walked out of the room, and back to the crystal table. Twilight was sitting at the table, reading the poem once more.

“Twilight.” She turned to look at him. “Good morning Jonathan. Sleep well?” He sat down next to her.

“No. I keep having these dreams, just like you said. And they are all so confusing.” He yanked at the necklace again. “I keep seeing people I don't even know, and they talk about things I don't know.

Katzes, Engels, Fisch… What are those? Why did five of those people look like talking cats? Who are the Demons of Shadow? What is going on?”

He threw his hands in the air and placed his head onto the table. His arms fell down. Twilight looked at him and placed a hoof on his back.

“Hey, its okay. We will figure it out.

I think that once you go home, those dreams will go away.” Jonathan sighed heavily. Twilight chewed on her cheek. “How about you tell me what your friends are like.” Jonathan lifted his head from the table.

“Well, Argon is gentle, funny, loyal, and has a temper. He is protective of the ones he loves and has a big family. Lena is pretty, kind, generous, loyal, skilled with a bow, has a big heart, and boy is she going to be mad at me when I get home.” Twilight raised an eyebrow at him. “Is she now?”

Jonathan nodded. “I'll be lucky if I don't get smacked on the head. Although, Lena will probably be a little gentle since she'll be relieved to see that I'm alive.” Twilight giggled. “It sounds like you have a crush on her.”

Jonathan glared at Twilight, his cheeks warm. “What makes you say that?” Twilight smirked and pointed a hoof at his cheeks. “You're blushing.”

Jonathan huffed and looked away.

“Yeah, yeah.” Twilight looked at him. “Does she have a crush on you?” Jonathan gave her a half shrug. “I don't know.

But I'd rather not find out just yet. Wait for a little bit, and see if my feelings stick. Then I'll approach her.” Twilight looked at the poem. “And if she didn't have feelings for you?”

Jonathan sighed. “I suppose whoever is lucky enough to capture her heart, I won't stand in their way.” Twilight smiled. “Well, let's try and get you home.” She got up from the table and trotted away.

Jonathan looked out a window. The light of the sun was spreading itself across the land. He sighed.

“Please be okay Lena and Argon. Please be okay.”

Author's Note:

Humans aren't the only ones to live in this land.