• Published 29th Mar 2016
  • 831 Views, 56 Comments

The War of Equestria - rainbowtiger00



Some heroes are made. Some are born. But very few actually want to be ones...

  • ...
8
 56
 831

Beginning of it all.

The sun was just rising from the hilltops, golden yellow with an orange and red glow against a blue-purplish background. There was a single thin cloud lingering above it, providing no shade to the creatures below. An enormous forest that in legend, was called the Everfree forest lay to the south of the hilltops. The hilltops were said to have had apple trees all over them, but now there were no such thing. Only dry brown grass covered the hilltops.

A boy sat with two of his best friends in the remains of last year's summer. They were looking at two flags on a single hill. If you would call them that. Simple sticks with a strip of colored cloth. One toward the right was red. The other to the left was blue. Each 'flag' had a wooden fort surrounding it. The forts were nothing more than hastily piled sticks in a haphazard position. The fort with the blue flag had two walls of sticks, making it impossible to see inside. It was shaped like a tent, sitting on the top of the hill. The other was lying on the bottom. What it lacked in strength it made up for in size. Each fort had a burning torch hanging at the gate.

The fire had an herbal powder thrown into it. It only caused a pleasant tickling sensation if it was felt by skin. Wood, however, that was from the other team, burned to a crisp.

To the casual stranger, this would seem strange. But for the children, this was an exciting time. For today, was the day that their parents had first walked on the hilltops. The village had been a settlement made by those who wanted to go somewhere new. Hunt the game that lived in the forest, live off its riches. Such was these dreams. Not all came to fruition, yet none of the settlers wanted to leave the majestic neighborhood, no matter how rough it got.

Ten children were on the left of the boy and his friends. They had signed up for the blue flag. Eight other kids slumped on the grass. They were the ones who had not been picked for the blue team and were now being forced to play in the red team. Those on the blue team usually won. They were the strongest, fastest. The wealthiest. The boy and his friends were the only ones who had chosen the red team on their own.

The boy's name was Jonathan. He was nine years old, and he planned to win the game. Because rumor had it that the winner not only won the honor of it but also received luck. And boy he needed luck. His best friends were a boy and a girl. Lena, and Argon. A sharp whistle sounded, from the previous winner and the kids ran to the forts.

The blue team was so confident in winning, that they didn't even bother to look at the other fort. Jonathan smiled.

Once Jonathan's team arrived at their fort, Argon had all the wooden sword bearing kids surround the flag. It was a stick with a piece of red cloth tied to the top. Lena took seven other red pieces of cloth from her shirt. She tied these to seven other long sticks with a mischievous smile. As their team watched, they quickly smothered the rising giggles. Blue Team was only full of people who either enjoyed bullying or went along with the crowd, that no one would think of using this trick. That was to the Red Team's advantage. Jonathan had all the scythe-bearing kids and bow bearing kids choose partners. The kids who didn't have either weapon carried the fake flags. Jonathan set some of Lena's arrows on the herbal fire.

Lena shot the arrows onto the other team's fort, using the one wooden bow.

Jonathan had taken the torch and got everyone in position. Each group of kids was to go in a different direction. They were to be complaining loudly that Jonathan had made them carry the flag. The other team would go to them, and attempt to take the flag. Each group of kids would have to fight hard to prevent them.

Once the red team touches each fake flag, they will realize it was a fake because it wouldn't glow. Only the real flag had the ointment made from the mysterious herbs found in the forest. As screams of surprise and anger came from the other fort, Jonathan had each group move out. Then he, Lena and Argon set out with the real flag in the opposite direction…

One hour later…



The heat of the moment made his cheeks flush with excitement. The small wooden scythe that he held in his hands was slippery from sweat. Black, red and gold strands of hair were plastered onto his neck from the moisture. The sound of wood hitting rock came from behind. “Argon!” He whined.

“Will you please hurry up?” The Blue Team will catch up any second now!” A huffing and puffing sounded behind him. “I'm doing the best I can, John! This flag is heavy!

Heavy with a capital H!” A loud clunk sounded this one closer. “Besides, I don't hear you saying anything to Lena.” Johnathan groaned, his thin nine-year-old body slumping. “Are we going to go through this again?

Lena has to guard us against the other team from above. I have to guard you against the other team from below. If I or Lena helped you carry the flag, then anyone could sneak up on us. Right, Lena?” Lena's voice could be heard from the treetops, full of annoyance.

“Well, they most certainly will sneak up on you two if you keep making so much noise! If you don't want an arrow in your rear, then be quiet and drag that flag!” Argon came into Jonathan's view. He had a light skin tone, with dark brownish hair that fell in a mop around his face. His eyes were as dark green as the forest leaves, mysterious as its depths. In them was a lively spark that danced with humor.

While their words didn't show it, Argon and Jonathan almost always agreed on something. Rarely did they argue on something. The strong bond that they shared was due to the fact that they had always been together. They had both shared a love for adventure, and playing Forts, the name of the game that they were playing right now. Both of their parents had been traders before the two were born.

But Jonathan's parents had gotten mauled by a beast and died, leaving him in the care of his aunt. Argon's parents struck it rich, having a total of nine kids, Argon being the third to first kid. But that wasn't to say that Argon was a snob from being rich. Far from it. While he did say things that to outsiders would seem offensive, he really didn't understand the struggles of the needy.

Argon was unused to hard work, or starvation. So he did complain. A lot. And just sometimes, that got under Jonathan's skin. “Do you want to win, Argon, or not?”

Argon glared at him with annoyance. “Of course, I want to win!” Jonathan waved his hand in the air. “Then come on!” Jonathan scanned the area for the other team's members to come and try to snatch the flag. They could do so at any second.

It was then that he saw it. The crispy husks of the blue team's fort, with only two bored kids guarding it. Jonathan turned to his friends, signaling silence. Argon slowly put their flag on the ground, kneeling beside it. Lena jumped onto the grass and strung her bow. Both hidden, Jonathan snuck up silently, placing one foot in front of the other like his aunt taught him.

Back turned, he waited for the two to notice him. One kid turned, silver hair flashing in the midday sunlight. "Hey, you! Where'd you come from? Some disgusting hole?" Alerted by the voice of his companion the second, brandished his scythe. "Get out before I give you a thrashing you'll remember in your nightmares."

Jonathan stared at them, feeling the soft hairs on the back of his neck tingle with anticipation. His left hand twitched three times. The silver haired kid snarled. "Put down that weapon, or I'll beat you up!" Jonathan stretched his arm out, and slowly let it go. He walked to the side, keeping eye contact with the two kids. For just a few moments, the two children gloated in their victory over him. Then Lena's blunt wooden arrows hit.

Jonathan darted to the unprotected flag, grasping it tightly, as the glow spread. The two kids glared sullenly at Lena's small figure. "That's cheating." One mumbled. Jonathan grinned with delight. "Finally! We won! And just when we needed some good news. Perhaps some good fortune will come about." Argon came up, grinning widely. "Like Lena getting a new bow." He joked. Lena snorted, raising an eyebrow. "Yeah, right." Jonathan shrugged. "Who knows? Anything can happen!"

Someone came up behind them. “Hey, kids.” Jonathan turned around to see his neighbor standing behind him. “Jonathan?” Jonathan felt his heart sink into his stomach.

“W-what is it?” The neighbor sighed and hung his head. “I'm so sorry…It's your aunt. The sickness, it.” That was as far as the man got before Jonathan ran past him, and toward the town that was beyond the hills.

Argon and Lena looked at him with sympathy. “Come on!” Argon said. “Let's go after him.” Lena nodded.



Jonathan knelt beside the bedside of his aunt. She was a tall woman, with long silver hair. Her face was shaped like a doll's. She was rather young, only twenty-nine years old, yet carried an ancient look about her. She coughed into a slender hand.

“J-john?” Johnathan placed his warm nine-year-old hand onto hers, shivering at its iciness. “I'm right here auntie.” She smiled at him. “You need to know something, before I…”

Jonathan's hand squeezed hers hard. “You are going to live, auntie. The healer said he wouldn't let you die.” His aunt smiled sadly. “The healer shouldn't make promises he can't keep.

Johnathan, do you remember the necklace I have in my jewelry box?” Jonathan slowly nodded. His aunt's necklace was in a stone box under the bed. He dragged the box out and placed it at her feet. She smiled.

"Jonathan? Would you open the box?" He nodded, lifting the lid to reveal the contents inside. A chain made from finely crafted silver metal. It was so thin, that it seemed like one yank would break it.

But it wouldn't because he had yanked it many times as a toddler. The chain was so polished that it seemed to be made of diamonds. But the prettiest thing about the necklace was the amulet attached to it. It was a pony with a horn and wings. A long graceful mane and tail flowed around the little pony.

It wore four ankle bracelets around its hooves. Each ankle bracelet had a different colored and shaped jewel. The meaning for each had been long forgotten. A necklace adorned its neck, and a crown was on its head. The pony was made from so many jewels, it seemed to be made from rainbows.

His aunt softly touched the necklace. A single tear fell down her pale cheek. "Johnathan, would you want to wear it?" Johnathan gasped. "Really?"

He had never been allowed to wear it before. His aunt weakly smiled, then became serious. "Yes. But Johnathan. If you are to wear it, you will have to take an oath."

Johnathan blinked. "An oath?" His aunt gave him a tired smile. "It's a family tradition." Jonathan raised his head. "Truely?" Every child knew the weight of an oath, how one does not make it lightly. The stories told by bedsides spoke of the curses given to those who break oaths... He bit his lip but nodded. "OK, I'll take the oath, and wear it. For you." His aunt nodded to the box. "Then touch the bottom of the top lid." He did so, and a golden colored dagger was revealed.

Nestled in a velvet padding, it gleaned with a radiance to rival the sun. Johnathan gasped. "It's beautiful!" His aunt took the dagger in her hands. "Johnathan, give me your left fourth finger.

He did so, slightly nervous about what she was going to do. "Johnathan, this is going to hurt you a little." Johnathan gulped. "O-okay." She pricked his finger, and drops of blood fell from the tear in the skin.

"Ow..." His aunt stroked his cheek. "I'm sorry John. I should have warned you." He touched her hand with his right hand.

"It's okay auntie. I don't mind a little pain." She smiled and held his chin. "Now, then. Kneel on the ground before the window so that the sun falls onto your face.

Repeat after me. With the knowledge of the Unicorns." Johnathan cleared his throat. "With the knowledge of the Unicorns." As he said the words, his aunt placed a finger soaked in his blood onto his forehead.

She drew the outline of a horn. “The speed of the Pegasi.” Jonathan felt her hand guide him to turn his back on her. “The speed of the Pegasi.” Then she lifted off his shirt and placed her bloodied finger on it.

Slowly, as he repeated her words, she drew the outline of wings onto his back. “The strength of the Earth Ponies.” She turned him back around and lifted both of his hands. She outlined a single leaf onto each. “The strength of the Earth Ponies.”

“I shall guard the Elements of Harmony.” She drew the outline of a six-pointed star with five other stars surrounding it onto his chest. “I shall guard the Elements of Harmony.” She brushed her finger across his bottom lip, leaving a streak of blood. “And protect Equestria from the Demons of Shadow.”

He blinked but repeated. “And protect Equestria from the Demons of Shadow.” His aunt smiled. “Good.” She placed the necklace around his neck and settled back down.

Now you must wear that necklace at all times…Promise me.” Jonathan held her pale hand once more. “I will, Auntie.” His aunt smiled with all the warmth that she used to have. Jonathan stared as her breathing became shallow. The healer came in and gave Jonathan a weird look. “Well, Jonathan.

Why don't you go play outside while I talk with auntie?” Jonathan started toward the door, then stopped. “Healer? Will she live?” The healer's smile faded slightly.

“…She should.” He said finally. Jonathan ran outside and slumped onto the cool grass. It wasn't until then did he realize that hot tears were pouring down his cheeks. Lena and Argon were suddenly there, holding him as he wept. “I don't want her to die!”

He screamed into the grass. His fist pounded the grass as he raged. Nothing was said from Argon or Lena. Their faces said everything that needed to be said. We are sorry for you.

We will be there for you. We will pull through this together. We don't care if the luck didn't come. We are needed here. Right now.

With you. Jonathan wanted to say something back. But then again, what was there to say? The truth? A lie?

He just cried and embraced the two. “You guys…are the best people in the entire world. No matter what, I'll always think that.” All there was for the three to do was to place their arms around each other and be with each other. Like friends do.

Author's Note:

Blackdust wanted me to take over, so here you go! Tell me how you like it! :pinkiesmile: