• Published 29th Mar 2016
  • 831 Views, 56 Comments

The War of Equestria - rainbowtiger00



Some heroes are made. Some are born. But very few actually want to be ones...

  • ...
8
 56
 831

New Faces, and Hidden Enemies

He slowly walked across the graveyard, his dark brown cloak protecting him from the rays of morning sun. Andromeda had finished digging graves and looked at him. They had followed his town's burial tradition, by placing the bodies of those that Jonathan did not know personally in traditional wooden graves. Jonathan then put those that knew personally, like Trisha and Felix in stone graves. They left the bodies in the dark blue blankets.

As much as they would love to do a long service for them, logic showed that if they lingered around long enough, the Demons of Shadow could return. But Corina's blanket fell off, and as Jonathan moved to replace it, he noticed that her red sash was missing. The two Exile Legion scouts had probably taken it. He gritted his teeth. Andromeda covered the graves with slabs of wood and stone.

Since there were no flowers except for the two dark red wreaths of roses, they left burning candles and wreaths of tree branches instead. He carved the names and dates that he knew into the stone and wood. Those he didn't know, he was forced to leave blank.

He found that during the process, he couldn't stop crying. Their voices wouldn't stop ringing in his hands. Once everything was in place he stood back, positioning himself so that he could see the snow covered tree tops. His arms lifted above his head, and he stared up into the sky. Andromeda watched in the background.

He cleared his throat and addressed the souls.


“Souls of the dead, Hear me now while the time is best.
You have been buried, and put to rest.
Your friends and family were chased away by those who slain you.
So they could not come to pay their respects, no matter how much they wanted to.
So here am I instead to pay them in full.
Those who have slain you left your bodies a broken shell.
They shall pay by the blade of my halberd.
Let your souls fly like the colorful birds.
Let you be at rest.
You will not be forgotten in the ancient past, the ever-changing present.
Nor the unknown future.
May the Everfree forest keep your soul in forever peace."


Jonathan looked at the graves of Trisha, Felix, Corina, and the Five Sisters. “Rowshields. I swear by my blade of my halberd, if your son and my friend is still alive, I will not let him die. I will do everything to protect him from harm. We will get through this together!”

Hot tears had fallen down his cheeks during the speech, yet he didn't care. They left soon after. He wished he had been able to stay longer.

The winter sun was in the sky, casting the pale light over the clouds. The sky was clearer today, and he could see the bronze late afternoon sky. Jonathan felt the bumps from Lightingfeet's feet trotting on the rocky, thin path. From the motion of the bumps, his necklace bounced on his chest. Andromeda was sitting behind him gazing at the flat grassland of the plains.

Her wings were folded onto her back. Bags containing supplies, Andromeda's sword, and his halberd were at the back of the saddle.

Split Mountain nothing but a fuzzy blur behind them, slowly being eaten by the horizon. Jonathan kept his eyes covered by the hood of his cloak, and stared in front of him, not wanting to see what was left of his home disappear. To confirm that he was heading out into unknown territory, where he had to depend on others to find his way. His hands tightened on the reins. He took a slow deep breath and let it out.

As predicted by Andromeda, his skin and eyes turned back to normal when touched by the light of the sun. For a few seconds, he wondered what Lena and Argon would think of his changing looks.

Andromeda looked at him. “If we keep following this path, we will find Craggertooth Fort. A fort for Engels, Katzes, Fisch, and humans that have been deemed 'traitors' by their own kind. My friends live in that fort with their families. Moon's Eye is seen around there at times, but only briefly.

You can leave them a note, and they will reply. That's the only way anyone has been able to talk to whoever it is. They flee if you get too close.”

Jonathan looked at her. “Isn't weird to not know who you are talking to?” Andromeda shrugged. “Plenty of such people live around here nowadays. Different people with strange names that refuse to give their gender or real names. They told me that some time ago they encountered a few survivors of the town. Maybe your friends were with them.

Jonathan nodded. “Argon must be in so much pain right now. At least Lena is with him. She'll help him.” He glanced at Andromeda.

“You never told me your last name.” Andromeda blinked. “Oh, yeah. Engels don't have last names.” Jonathan turned to look at her.

“Truly?” Andromeda nodded. “Last names are more of a human thing, really. Most Katzes and Fisch don't have one either. Just a first name.

Instead we, Engels have symbols to tell each other apart.” She turned over to the supplies bags where her thin sword was sheathed. “See, on the handle of my sword, there is a symbol of a blooming rose with a crescent moon. That's my family symbol. Everyone in my family owns this symbol and carries it with them wherever they go.”

Jonathan chewed his cheek. “What do you do when you get married? Does the symbol stay the same?” Andromeda shook her head. “No.

They take pieces of their original family symbol and mix it with the other's to create an entirely new symbol. Take mine for instance. My mother's side of the family owned a dove holding a blooming rose and my father's side owned an eagle flying beside a crescent moon. When they married, the two were allowed to pick one thing from each family symbol. My mother picked the blooming rose, and my father picked the crescent moon. They were put together to represent the unity between the families and to show the connections to grandparents.”

Jonathan blinked. “Huh. So not one is the same.” Andromeda grinned. “Yep.

But this doesn't mean that you can call me; 'Andromeda blooming rose and crescent moon'. Because some people do that, and that is very annoying.” Jonathan gave her a half smile. “You would have had Argon laughing his head off at that.” Andromeda's smile faded.

“Yeah…” Jonathan looked out over the plains. It looked like and felt like summer out here. Not a speck of snow was to be seen. “Andromeda, isn't it supposed to be winter?”

Andromeda looked at the grass. “It is winter. The temperature and the weather here don't change unless Engels change it.” Jonathan raised an eyebrow. “Engels control weather?”

Andromeda gave a half shrug. “A little. Not really. About all the flying ones can do is move clouds about. That's why in some areas of the land, the weather is normal while in others it's a little wacky.”

Jonathan glanced at her. “The flying ones?” Andromeda looked at her wings. “Some Engels are taught to fly. And others aren't.

I'm one of those who weren't.” Jonathan cocked his head. “Why don't all of them get taught?” Andromeda's wings ruffled slightly. “In our culture, it's a choice made by the parents.

Mine decided that I was better off on the ground. My uncle disagreed with them, and promised me lessons, but…” She sighed. “He died before that could be fulfilled. He used to give me rides, carrying me in his arms while he flew through the sky, swirling and diving.”

She smiled sadly. “The best times of my life really. I miss those times.” She drew her hand over her eyes. Jonathan spoke.

“Before my aunt died, she used to take me on walks through the forest. She'd point out things and showed me nature's wonders. Like the eggshell that a baby robin had picked its way through or a mushroom hidden in a mossy log. Sometimes, I found them before she did. Other times, if they were movable, I was able to take one home and show it to Argon and Lena.

I enjoyed those times, but they stopped when she became bedridden.” Andromeda nodded sadly. “Sounds like both of our family members gave us good memories to remember them by.” Jonathan nodded.

“Yeah…” A rustle sounded in the grass.

Lightingfeet halted and snorted. His foot stamped. Jonathan's head turned to look in the direction of the rustling grass. Andromeda looked as well. “Eh?”

She cocked her head. “Africanus? Is that you?” She called out. Jonathan glanced at Andromeda. “Africanus?

Who is that?” Andromeda looked at him. “The owner, and trainer of Lightingfeet, and one of my friends. He's Katze, and a scout so the rustling was most likely him.” Lightingfeet gave a whinny of greeting.

Jonathan turned back to the front and started. The sudden motion made him fall off Lightingfeet. He landed on the path with a crunch. Jonathan glanced up. A Katze was standing there in front of Lightingfeet, staring at him.

He had just appeared silently in front of the horse. He had medium green eyes that looked like a cat's. His fur was the light shade of brown with light orange streaks. The color of his hair was black, and the hair was strung in a ponytail. He wore a woven shirt and a pair of woven pants the color of the grass that waved in the plains.

Lightingfeet snorted and nuzzled the Katze. The Katze stroked the horse's mane, while still watching him intently. Andromeda blinked, then rolled her eyes. “Africanus. You didn't have to scare him like that.”

Africanus looked at Andromeda. “Says who?” Andromeda put her hands on her hips. “Says Jacomina. She told you to stop scaring people, and alert them when you are coming.”

Africanus rolled his eyes. “Whatever.” Jonathan stood up as Africanus looked back at him. “Who is this?” Andromeda looked back at Jonathan.

“That's Jonathan. He is good. I found him in that ruined town you guys sent me to.” Jonathan decided to be polite and outstretched his hand. Africanus looked at it, then slowly shook it. Africanus blinked and leaned closer. His green cat eyes widened. “He has a necklace that looks just like yours!”

Andromeda nodded. “Yes, yes he does.”

Jonathan got the feeling that Africanus was less afraid of him because he was wearing the necklace. “Pleased to meet you, Jonathan.” He turned to Andromeda and crossed his arms. His tail flickered. “Now, Andromeda.

You have a lot of explaining to do back at the fort. Jacomina is worried sick when you didn't come back last night. She thought one of these Exile Legion guys got you.” Andromeda raised an eyebrow. “There are Exile Legion warriors out here?”

Africanus sighed. “I'll tell you the whole story when we get back to the fort.” Jonathan got back onto the horse. “Well, let's get going then.” Africanus ran up the path, and Lightingfeet trotted faster, following him.

Jonathan looked at Andromeda. “Who's Jacomina?” Andromeda glanced at him. “The founder and leader of the fort. She can be pretty tough at times, but she cares for every single being in it.

She leaves notes for Moon's Eye often. There is a rumor that they send objects to each other, but I don't believe it.” Jonathan nodded and looked away. He sighed softly as they held on to Lightingfeet. Things were moving along so quickly.

What was to become of him and his friends? Would they be able to find each other? Jonathan lifted his eyes to see Africanus running. “He seems like a nice guy.” Andromeda nodded.

“He is. Sure he really likes to scare people, but he is real good around horses, and his sneaking abilities make him an excellent scout.” Jonathan looked at Lightingfeet. “How did Africanus get Lightingfeet anyway? I thought horses were worth a fortune.”

Andromeda laughed. “Not if you raise one that you found in a ditch.” Jonathan blinked. “Africanus raised Lightingfeet?” Andromeda grinned.

“Raised, trained, and owns him. Sometimes, I think the two can read each other's mind.” Jonathan raised an eyebrow. “Really?” Andromeda patted Lightingfeet.

“Yep. Lightingfeet here is a real smart horse.” Jonathan gripped the reins tighter. “I see.”

He glanced back. He could no longer see Split Mountain. Grunting, he turned away. His eyes widened. Another mountain was visible.

The point of the mountain was not turned upwards but was bent downwards, curved like a claw. Beneath the mountain, in the shade was a wooden fort. Jonathan caught his breath. It was huge. Trunks of trees had been placed together and held by ropes.

The tops shaved to fine sharp points. A deep ditch had been dug all around the base of the mountain. A gate covered the entrance. He could see smoke rising toward the sky. “Andromeda, is that Craggertooth fort?”

Andromeda smiled. “Yep. It is. A lot of Katzes and Engels live there to avoid the Exile Legion.” Jonathan looked at her.

“Why is it called 'Craggertooth?'” Andromeda pointed at the claw-shaped rock. “It looks like a Cragger's tooth, so we named it Craggertooth.” Jonathan raised an eyebrow. “What's a Cragger?”

Andromeda explained. “It's like a dog except, it's smaller and lives in the water with the Fisch. They are very friendly, especially the babies. But threaten their homes, and they will attack. Trust me.

You do not want a Cragger's tooth in your flesh.” They arrived at the gate.

Africanus lifted his hands to his mouth. “Hey! Leona! Let us in!” A face appeared from behind the walls.

It was a blonde haired Engel, and just like Andromeda said her wings were the same color as Andromeda's. She wore a light brown leather suit, with a few pieces of silver armor. Her eyes were silvery blue. “Africanus? What are you doing back so early?”

Africanus pointed back at Andromeda.

“Look who arrived!” Leona turned to look at Andromeda and grinned. “Andromeda! You're okay!” Andromeda smiled and waved.

“Hey, Leona!” Leona saw Jonathan. “Hey… Who is that?” Andromeda looked at Jonathan.

I'll tell you in a bit. Open the gate for us okay?” Africanus shouted up to Leona. “And tell Jacomina that Andromeda is back and she brought a visitor!” Leona disappeared, and the gate slowly began to open.

Jonathan watched as they were pulled open by the ropes, allowing them to come inside. For one that had only opened doors and gates with his hands, it was a sight to see a gate be opened this way. Africanus petted Lightingfeet. “Come on, buddy. I've got a nice warm stable for you.

It has your favorite. Carrot salad.” Jonathan cocked his head. “Carrot salad?” Africanus chuckled.

“It's his favorite food. Carrots, apple slices, pieces of hay, and bits of corn. He eats it up just as quick as you please.” Lightingfeet followed Africanus inside, nuzzling him with his velvet soft nose. Jonathan stared at the inside of the fort as they walked through it.

There were wooden houses where people lived and woven tents where the soldiers lived. Cooking fires crackled as Katzes and Engels made their dinners. There were a lot of people in the fort. More than he had ever seen in his town. Most of them were either Katzes or Engels.

Male Engels had light green feathers with a blue tint. Jonathan couldn't help getting the feeling that no matter how big his town had seemed, there were things that made it seem tiny and insignificant. But despite the wings and the fur, Jonathan noticed that they seemed like ordinary people that were just doing their everyday lives. Something caught his eye.

A Katze boy was crouching near a cooking fire, watching it. His hair was black and reached down to his chin. His fur was gray, and his eyes were green. He started. Andromeda glanced at him.

“What's wrong?” Jonathan shook his head and held it with a hand. “Ugh. This necklace is doing weirder stuff by the day. I saw a dream with a couple of Katzes in it, and now I see them here in the fort.

It's like the necklace is showing me the future or something.” Andromeda smiled. “Well, according to what people say, dreams usually do warn you about the future in mysterious ways.” She looked at the sky. “Just one more hour, and you can take off that cloak.”

Jonathan sighed.

“I don't get it. Why did I get these runes or magic? I never asked for them.” Andromeda shrugged. “I wish I knew, Jonathan.”

They arrived in the middle of the fort. If one looked up to the sky, they got a perfect view of the claw-shaped mountain. Jonathan and Andromeda got off of Lightingfeet. He moved to take off the supplies and his halberd, but Lightingfeet snorted and stamped his foot. Africanus shook his head.

“You stubborn horse.” Andromeda cocked her head. “He doesn't want us to take them off?” Africanus chuckled. “Lightingfeet prefers you to take them off at the stable.

Do it any other way, and he gets stubborn. All right you stubborn quadruple legged mammal, have it your way.” Africanus said while stroking the horse's mane. Lightingfeet trotted over to a bucket of water and began to drink. Footsteps sounded behind them.

Jonathan turned around to see another Katze walking toward them with a stern look on her face. Her fur was the color black, and her eyes were bright yellow. Silvery hair was braided down her back, and in her hair was a beautiful turquoise flower. She was wearing a dark maroon dress with a dark green skirt. She was sleeveless, so Jonathan could see her bare arms.

One arm had the fur tattooed with a symbol. Jonathan stiffened when he saw it. The symbol was of three diamonds. “She has a Light rune.” He thought.

Leona was with her, a huge grin on her face. “Andromeda!” She hugged Andromeda tightly. “I'm so glad you are okay!” Andromeda hugged Leona back. “Thanks, Leona.”

Africanus looked at the other Katze. “Jacomina, as you can see Andromeda is now safe and sound.” Jacomina nodded and spoke, her voice carrying authority. “Indeed. Andromeda.

How come you weren't able to arrive on time?” Andromeda looked at her hands. “Well, you see. I was in the ruined town, soothing the souls with the dark blue blankets that you gave me when I discovered two Exile Legion scouts looting the place.” Jacomina nodded.

“What happened next?” Andromeda continued. “Jonathan here attacked them out of grief and anger. Since he was a human, they knocked him out and left him there. I helped him bury the dead, and brought him here.”

Jacomina's eyes scanned him. They narrowed. “…The known survivors of the ruined town reported a 'Jonathan' to be dead. How is he alive?” Jonathan stiffened.

Andromeda glanced at him and explained. “Jonathan here has a necklace just like mine. His took him to the past where he remained until two days ago. According to him, he stayed only a week, yet here a year passed.” Jacomina remained silent, studying him.

Africanus looked at Andromeda. “Why did you bring him here?” Andromeda looked at Jacomina. “He is looking for his friends, Lena, and Argon. We were hoping that Moon's Eye would know where to find them.”

Jonathan looked at Jacomina. “Was there an 'Argon Rowshield', and a 'Lena Keldsworth' in the group of survivors?” Jacomina's tail swished underneath her skirt, and she placed a hand over her mouth. It was clear that she was thinking deeply. “…Moon's Eye will know how to find them.

I will contact Moon's Eye. As for your question Jonathan, I am afraid that I cannot say. We were only able to help one survivor, and we didn't get her name.” Jonathan blinked. “Wait, why couldn't you help the others?

How many were there?” Jacomina looked at him. “We discovered only four, and three refused our help. The one that accepted did not remain at my fort for long.” Andromeda bit her lip.

“Do you know what she looked like? Or where she went?” Jacomina shook her head. “It was a long time ago. The memory has faded from my mind.” She sighed and gazed at her feet.

“Is the Exile Legion so desperate for supplies that they are raiding their own kind?” Leona winced. “Oops. Sorry Andromeda.” Andromeda gave her a strange look.

“Sorry?” Africanus sighed. “Yeah. You see, an Exile Legion scout came near here about three days ago. Leona here placed a spell on him so that when he got back to their camp, half of the food supplies would go bad.

But she miscalculated the strength of their Forbidden magic and the spell made all the food go bad.” Andromeda looked at him. “And this is a bad thing because?” Jacomina sighed, her cat ears flicking slightly. “Because now not only Exile Legion scouts are combing the plains, but Exile Legion warriors and Commanders.”

Andromeda gasped. “Exile Legion Commanders?! Is… is the First Commander of the Exile Legion?” Jacomina shook her head.

“No, he and the Fourth stayed at the camp. Fortunately. But the Second and the Third are out and heading our way. They will reach us by nightfall so we expect them to attack tonight.” Andromeda's face turned pale.

“What? We can't take on the Second and Third Commanders!” Jacomina's arms crossed. “I know the strength of my own fort, Andromeda. They will be very lightly armed and without the Fourth Commander, they will only be able to use a small amount of Forbidden magic.

I can distract the Second Commander long enough for all those able to fend off the Third Commander. With how many people that live in this fort, we can do it. It will be a challenge but we have no other choice. Other than surrender.” Africanus laughed bitterly.

“You know how the Second Commander is. We all do. Doesn't matter if we surrender, she'll kill us all.” Jacomina nodded. “Yes.

Which is why we must fight. Jonathan.” Jonathan looked at her. “Yes?” Jacomina placed her hands on her hips.

“If we are going to fend them off, we will need your help.” Jonathan nodded. “Okay. What do you need me to do?” Jacomina looked at the claw-shaped mountain.

“At the back of the fort, in front of the mountain is a cave large enough to hold everyone that is unable to fight. I want you and Andromeda to take all the elderly, sick, the children, and anyone who is not fit to fight in there. I will hide the cave with my magic. It will be our job to make sure that the Second and Third Commanders don't find that cave. Once they are in there, join us in keeping them out.

Everybody got that?”

They all nodded. Jacomina nodded back. “Then make the preparations to defend the fort!” With that, Africanus and Leona walked away. Andromeda went over to Lightingfeet to fetch her sword.

Jacomina went over to Jonathan. “Jonathan, I must warn you. The Second and Third Commanders are not what they seem. Whatever happens, be careful.” Jonathan nodded.

“I will.” He went over to Andromeda as she set off to find those unable to fight. Jacomina watched them with a strange look on her face. She sighed, and spoke as she turned around. “Moon's Eye will have to see this in person to believe what I have seen.”

She glanced at Jonathan. “Those legends are more truthful than I could have ever imagined.”

Author's Note:

Whew! This was a lot to write. I wonder who the four survivors were... :trixieshiftright:
Tell me what you think.