• Published 29th Mar 2016
  • 832 Views, 56 Comments

The War of Equestria - rainbowtiger00



Some heroes are made. Some are born. But very few actually want to be ones...

  • ...
8
 56
 832

Uncertain Plans for a Broken Future

Jonathan opened his eyelids. They were sore from all the crying he had done. His head hurts something awful, and his throat was as dry as the dirt beneath him. His arms felt like they were on fire, and were really itchy. His body had been laying on that dirt for what felt like hours. Oddly enough, though, despite the pain, he felt rather good.

Like he was energized, or something. His vision was sharper, and so was his sense of smell. If he wanted to, he felt like he could run to the end of the forest and back. He shifted slightly against the dirt. It had been cleared of snow earlier.

Andromeda must have made a camp. The last thing he could remember was falling asleep on Corina's bed. The bitter cold blew against his back, the small fire doing nothing to prevent it. He closed his eyes, wishing that he was dreaming. That everything he had seen was a dream. “Hey, you awake?”

He opened his eyes again and turned his head to see Andromeda crouching beside the fire. Dangling from her hands were several dead birds. “Oh good you are. You really fell asleep there.” Jonathan blinked.

“I fell asleep?” Andromeda nodded as she laid the birds down, and began to strip one of its feathers. “Yep. I left you like that as I went off to get supper. These birds were hard to catch, though.” Jonathan glanced at the sky.

It had grown black and the clouds were parting, revealing sparkling stars. Andromeda glanced at him. “How are you feeling?” He groaned softly. “…Bitter.”

Andromeda looked back at her hands. “Yeah, that's understandable.” A silence came between them. Jonathan gritted his teeth. “If I see those Demons of Shadow again, I will kill them.

I swear on my aunt's grave, I will get rid of every single Demons of Shadow in this land!” He punctuated the sentence, with his fist slamming into his palm. Andromeda looked at him. “Hey… Look.

I might not know how you bury your dead and everything, but I'm willing to stick around and help.

Besides, if you have been gone in the past for a week, and actually you have been gone for a year, then you would have a lot to catch up on.” Jonathan nodded and sat up. “Thanks. That would be helpful.”

He rubbed his head. “Huh. No dreams. I guess Twilight was right about that.”

Andromeda raised an eyebrow. “Huh? Who's Twilight?” Jonathan looked at her. “Oh right.

Twilight was the one who helped me figure what was going on, along with Spike. Very nice guys, they are. Or, actually, were. She predicted that I wouldn't be disturbed by dreams while I am in the present. I was troubled by them when I was in the past.”

Andromeda nodded. “Hm, odd names. Ya know, dreams are said to give us warnings about the future. Or so they say.” Jonathan heard a snorting noise.

He turned to see the black-maned and dark blue coated horse behind him harnessed to a tree. A brown leather bag was tied in front of the horse. He stared. “Hey. I have seen that horse before.”

Andromeda looked up. “Oh yeah. That's Lightingfeet. A friend of mine let me borrow him to travel here.” Jonathan snorted.

“Lightingfeet?” Andromeda shrugged. “Weird name, I know. But Lightingfeet here is rather fast at times. He just has a huge appetite.”

Lightingfeet snorted and stomped his hoof again. He put his nose in the brown leather bag and began to eat what was inside with loud crunching noises. Jonathan scratched at his arm.

"Odd. My arm feels like it has been sunburned."

He peeled back the leather cloth of the sleeve. Indeed, his arm was sunburned. "How did that happen?" He wondered aloud. Andromeda blinked, and leaned closer.

"Say. You have Nightrunner magic. You're a Nightrunner!" Jonathan raised an eyebrow. "Nightrunner magic?

Nightrunner? What's that?" Andromeda chewed her cheek in thought. "Ya know its like." She paused.

"Um. Okay, so you know the designs people paint on their arms or legs, or chest. And they give you lots of power." Jonathan snapped his fingers. "Runes!

You are talking about runes!" Andromeda cocked her head. "Is that what you call them? Huh. OK, then.

Yeah. Runes. A very limited amount of people has a rune called Nightrunner. Basically, it's a rune or magic where the wielder is more powerful during the night. It alters the look of the wielder as well.”

She took a closer look at his face. “Yeah, see.” Her finger poked his cheekbone. “Your eyes have turned black, and your skin is paler.

Do you feel any different?” Jonathan rubbed his head with his hand. “I feel like I have more energy. And my senses are sharper.” Andromeda held his arm.

“Well, here is the problem with being a Nightrunner. You were out in the sunlight, exploring the forest without that cloak for some time, weren't you?” Jonathan shrugged. “A couple of hours, yeah. Why?”

Andromeda pointed at the sunburn. “With that Nightrunner rune, you are more sensitive to the light of the sun. Light of the moon, however, shall heal and strengthen you.” Jonathan glanced at his arm. “So, what you are saying is, that from now on, I will have to wear this cloak during the day to avoid sunburn?”

Andromeda nodded. “I'm afraid so.” He groaned. “This is fantastic. Another weird thing that has happened to me because of my necklace.

Why in all of the lands did my aunt give me it?! It just made me lose everything!” He pounded the dirt with his fist. Andromeda winced from the noise. “Well.

Did she know it would take you to the past?” He nodded furiously. She cocked her head. “Did she know that the Demons of Shadow would attack your town the day that you would be sent to the past?” Jonathan opened his mouth, then closed it.

He blinked, then hung his head. “I… You're right. She couldn't have known.” He sighed.

“I just, I wish I knew why she gave me this. Obviously, it is not just because she wanted me to have a family dowry or something to remember her by. Somehow, that world was important to her. And I think she wanted me to protect it.” He clutched his necklace with his hand.

“If only I didn't investigate that big boom.” Andromeda blinked. “Big boom?” Jonathan raised his head. “Yeah. On Augustus 16th, 3018 me and my friends, Lena and Argon heard this big boom in the forest.

We went exploring, and found a ruined castle with one of those feathers,” He pointed to Andromeda's feathers. “And a scroll. There was also another big boom, a Demon of Shadow, and a statue that slightly resembled me. After I looked at the statue, I was dragged into the past where I stayed for one week.
Then I came back.” He nudged the dirt with his foot. "So, tell me everything that I missed." Andromeda cleared her throat. "Okay then.

So on 3018, Augustus 16th the whole land was attacked by the Demons of Shadow. Katzes, Engels, Fisch, and humans alike were attacked by them. Our kind decided to name them 'Demons of Shadow' because they practiced." She gulped slightly. "Forbidden magic."

Jonathan blinked. "Forbidden magic?" Andromeda nodded. "One should never use that type of magic. Ever.

It taints your mind.” Jonathan cocked his head. “Is Forbidden magic a type of rune?” Andromeda nodded slowly. “Only the Exile Legion uses them, though.

They are the only ones that are strong enough to control them.” Jonathan frowned. “I see. Those guys again. My necklace showed me plenty of them recently.”

Andromeda's eyes widened. “Really? Did you see the Commander of the Exile Legion?” She asked in a hushed voice. Jonathan blinked.

“Who?” Andromeda blinked, then shook her head. “Oh right. Sorry. The Commander of the Exile Legion is their leader.

He founded the system nearly a year ago and has led it ever since. He always wears tanned leather and gold armor, a brown leather hood, and a gold mask with a tan grayish section where he breathes. He also has two long swords that are attached to his wrists, and dark green eyes.

If you stare directly at them, they say, you can see the great amount of hate that he carries. He's famous for all the Demons of Shadow he has hunted down and killed, but infamous among my kind for the fact that if he sees one of us, we will be struck down.”

Jonathan blinked. “You mean he hunts your kind down too?” Andromeda shook her head. “No. But if he or one of his followers sees something that belongs to us that is either in their way or too close to them, they will attack it.”

Jonathan nodded. “Yeah, I saw him then. He and his Exile Legion were protecting a human village from the Demons of Shadow.” Andromeda nodded. “That's pretty typical for them.

Some of my friends say that all they really want is the survival of the human race. But in that pursuit, they believe anything that is different is not to be trusted.” She said bitterly.

Andromeda continued to strip the bird of its feathers. "That necklace of yours seems to do a lot. Mine has never done anything." Jonathan yanked the chain of his necklace again. "That is probably because you haven't been near any landmarks of the past.

If you went near one, you would most likely go to the past. Who knows how long you will be gone." He looked at the birds. "I can help clean the birds." Andromeda handed him a bird.

"Here you go then." Jonathan plucked the feathers from the bird with a hunter's speed. Andromeda blinked in surprise. "Wow. You are fast." Jonathan chuckled. "

“You should see Lena. She's faster.” His smile faded. Andromeda sighed softly. “Do you think that they made it out alive?”

Jonathan quickly looked up at her. “Yes, of course!” Andromeda flinched from the tone in his voice. Jonathan winced. “Sorry…

I mean, we didn't find their bodies so that means that they got out. They must be okay.” He looked down at his hands. “They've got to be…” Again, tears fell out of his eyes, ones that he wiped away.

Andromeda finished stripping the bird of its feathers. Silently, Jonathan traded birds with her. He cut one bird open and began to clean it. Andromeda continued what he had started. “So, what is your plan?”

Jonathan glanced at her. “First, bury everyone in a proper ceremony. Second, find Lena and Argon. Third, get revenge against the Demons of Shadow. Then I don't what.”

Andromeda looked at him. “Well, I might know how to find them.” Jonathan lifted his head higher. “You do?” She nodded.

“Have you heard of Moon's Eye?”

Jonathan started. “I've heard that name before. In one of my dreams. This Moon's Eye helps Katzes, Engels, and Fisch?” Andromeda nodded.

“And humans. No one knows who the person is, though. Whoever the person is, they are recognized only by their dark blue coat, with lighter blue markings. Some people have said that person would even help those who use unknown magic if they found one that is.” Jonathan wiped his knife clean.

“Unknown magic?” Andromeda's feathers ruffled slightly. “Yeah. No one can tell what type of magic they are using because they are always shifting from one magic to the next.” Jonathan continued cleaning the bird.

“So the magic is ever shifting. Sounds like something Twilight would be able to figure out.” Jonathan chewed his lip. “So you think that this Moon's Eye can help me find Lena and Argon?”

Andromeda smiled. “Most definitely.” Jonathan finished cleaning the bird and skewered the bird meat onto a stick. Andromeda handed him another plucked bird and took the stick. She placed it over the fire, letting it cook slowly.

The fire crackled, sending smoke high into the night air. The smoke could be seen in the distance by a figure on a cliff. He was in a blue and brown tunic with wide blue shoulder crest reaching above his head. A brown hood with a blue mask covered his face. His feet were covered in blue boots with metal at the bottom.

He was holding a staff made from wood that had a large, blue, glowing crystal on top in his right hand. Before him was a large boulder with a map of the land on it. Three white candles were on the boulder as well, placed in such a way so that the figure and the candles made an invisible square.

They flickered in a slight breeze that passed by them. In his left hand, he held a gold chain with a diamond on the bottom in front his chest, right in front of where his heart was.

He stared at the smoke for a bit.

“So, he has returned to this world of mine. (Even after all this time.) If he has returned, then certain events shall play. (All we need to do is find where to go during the day.)

He closed his eyes and held out the diamond over the map. He took in a deep breath and let it out. The diamond moved around the map as the candles flickered. Hot melted wax dripped from them and fell onto the cold surface of the boulder where they cooled and hardened. The figure spoke in a deep and melodic voice.
“Siht si ruo dlrow sa ti si enim. Eht emit sah emoc ot esir dna enihs.
Ot wonk eht hturt fo evol dna thgil.
Ot ekam tahw ecno tnew gnorw og thgir.
Nekawa slous dna eb tes eerf.
Siht si ym lliw, os llahs ti eb.”

The diamond halted over a spot on the map as the candles went out. The figure opened his eyes and looked at the spot. Then he placed the diamond in the folds of his robe.

Gathering up the map and the candles, he left the boulder to head toward his camp where he would wait until daylight came.

Author's Note:

I wonder who that figure is...
Tell me what you think.