• Published 9th Apr 2016
  • 4,893 Views, 335 Comments

Cosmic Rifts - Silvak



Selene has been discovered, as an invasion takes place. As one of Equus' military leaders, Aether must lead the Aegis Guard alongside the rest of Equus against their new enemies.

  • ...
17
 335
 4,893

Chapter VIII: Bombs

With the distinctive pop sound of my teleport spell going off, I quickly looked around to gauge my surroundings, only to see that we were in the open, where off to the side I could see some of my troops taking cover behind some large rocks, with one of them having its top blown off. Left of their position, at a mere sixty feet or so, where three Xartik tanks of the same model as the one I fought earlier, closing in on the pin-down squad's position with Xartik infantry following right behind them. Sadly, we were apparently spotted based on how the closest tank to us was turning its turret towards us as some of the soldiers split off to march towards us in the shield wall formation.

"Alright, Windbag, get into the air and give us some covering fire. Agate, Night, go reinforce Delta Five's position, Cherry, you'll be engaging the enemy infantry while I keep the enemy armor occupied," I barked out as my horn lit up for another teleport spell, my squad simply dispersing right just as the enemy tank got its weapons aimed at our spot. Releasing my teleport spell at the moment the tank opened fire, I disappeared as my original spot was hit with an explosive round, dirt and plant matter flying all over the place as I reappeared beneath the tank as I reached to my sides. Thankfully, instead of relying on enemy ordinance or a three hundred... four hundred... or whatever Luna weighs, pound alicorn to come slamming down on the tank, I had ordered one of the transport copters to bring some anti-vehicle explosives, which I happened to have in the armored pouches on the sides of my armor.

Pulling out two of the bombs, I carefully attached them to the underside of the tank, and as I ran to the next one, I was thankful that the Xartik went the cheap route in regards to the tank's shielding. However, after getting the second pair of bombs onto the tank, some of the enemy soldiers started to open fire upon me, which forced me to conjure a shield due to wanting to save energy for my armor's shields for the time I would need them the most. Though, when they saw that their shots were bouncing off my shield, they decided to simply rush me while I was attaching the third set of bombs, and were nearly upon me as they pulled out their melee weapons when I let off another teleport spell. As I popped behind a tree off to the other side of the enemy force, I took out the trigger with my magic and flipped the switch, where I received the sight of the trio of tanks blowing up apart while taking out any Xartik troops near them. That would have put a smile on my face, if a plasma shot didn't whiz right past it, causing me to duck behind the tree some more as I spotted a clump of Xartik soldiers in the shield formation.

They're still doing that? What, is their communications hampered in some fashion? I thought to myself before pulled a pin out of one of my grenades before teleporting it to the group. After waiting till the telltale sign of the explosion and chunks of robots flying past me, allowing me a chance at seeing where the rest of the enemy were, but I resisted the urge to dropped my jaw after seeing Xartik forces being in disarray. As much of an asset I thought Cherry was going to be, the sight of her popping in and out of the midst of the troops, causing them to shoot at her automatically only for her to quickly disappear, resulting in them shooting each other.

Shaking my head at the sight, I was about to pop a few shots at the ones on the edges until I heard the sound of artillery going off nearby, causing me to jerk my head to the right where the sound came from, where I received the sight of glowing artillery fire coming straight at me. With not enough time to pull off a teleport spell, I conjured a hardened version of the shield spell, grimacing as I felt the strain of the shots exploding upon impact on my shield. The shield even started to crack under the strain, until after the barrage came to an end, allowing me to drop the shield before running through the smoke generated by the explosions, whereupon coming through it, I spotted the sight of another walker mech, but instead of cannons or guns on the sides of its turret, there was a pair of six-barreled artillery attachments.

"Well, that explains how they got their artillery up and running so fast," I commented to myself as I teleported to the underside of the mech, where I was about to pull out my bombs when its bottom suddenly came down at me, forcing me to roll to the side as the entire mech came fell to the ground in an attempt to crush me. Shaking myself the thought of being turned into a pancake, I quickly pulled out the bombs and slapped them onto the side of the mech before teleporting away before it could get up, pressing my trigger to receive the sight of the mech blowing apart.

"One artillery mech down, Luna knows how ma—" I started to saw as I was turning around until a whip made out of energy wrapped around my throat, which yanked me off my hooves and onto my back, where I saw what looked to be a Xartik Hunter, excepted it looked to have been upgraded based on the various attachments on it.

"{Submit, or be mutilated,}" the hunter stated as I flicked the switch on my right hoof to get its blade out, only to the hunter to electrify the whip, shocking me to the point that I was partly stunned by it as the robot started dragging me towards it. I tried to raise my right hoof to the whip, only for a second whip to suddenly wrapped around it, forcing it away as more electricity flowed through it and into me, nearly causing me to cry out in pain. I tried to dig in my rear hooves as I fumbled my left hoof around my belt to grab onto something, but I paused when magical bolts strike the hunter's head, forcing it to lose some of its grip while its shields deflected the attack.

This gave me the moment I needed to bring my blade up to the whip, but the hunter spotted that and just swung me into a tree, knocking the wind out of me before it ducked behind a tree for cover. As I was trying to catch my breath, I noticed that the sky had returned to its original color, causing me to blink before I felt the whip being pulled again, my body sliding off the tree as the hunter swung me into a rock this time, probably in an attempt to knock me out before engaging Windbag. However, just as the whip was starting to tighten again, a beam of blue light cut the whip in two, causing me to jerk my head towards the obvious source, which was Luna who was flying through the forest, crying, "Hath at thee, foul machine!"

"Luna, be careful, th—" I started to say, trying to warn Luna only for me to stop from shock as a larger Xartik unit suddenly dropped down on Luna, forcing her to crash into the ground. As I started to get onto my hooves as the whip around my neck dissipated, I heard Windbag letting out a yelp, causing me to glance at him where I saw that he had a whip around his throat as he was being pulled down towards the ground by a second hunter. Fuck, did they used me as bait? I thought to myself as I lit my horn up, before casting a spell that let out a force pulse from my horn that caused the Xartik hunters and the one on Luna to be knocked off balance. This let Windbag the chance to slip out of the whip while Luna grabbed onto her opponent, tossing it at a rock as she said, "Thou shall pay for thy transgression!" before she fired a massive laser at the robot, engulfing it as the rock shattered from that attack.

Based on the display of the attack, the hunters decided it was a good time to retreat as they started to run off, but not before throwing a bunch of small spheres at us, prompting me to bring up my shield to deflect the attack as the spheres exploded on impact, draining me further of my magical reserves. However, before the hunters could get far, Luna was finished with her opponent, which was a standing mess of molten metal before it collapsed onto the ground. Luna glanced at me, then at the fleeing robots, and finally at Delta Five's position, before taking into the air, exclaiming, "Enough!" before her horn lit up with so much magic, I was tempted to flinch from the sheer feel of the raw power Luna was calling forth before she fired a barrage of magical beams, striking at all the Xartik forces in view, piercing right through their shields and armor with ease.

"Phew, so this is the power of an alicorn, maybe you should ask Princess Cadance if her daughter can join the Aegis Guard, if the stories about her and lasers are true," Windbag commented before dropping down right next to me.

"How about you go ask her if her daughter can go to war," I countered as I looked around for any hostiles. "And keep your guard up, unless you won't miss having a head."

"Oh relax, the princess is here, and she's already tearing through the troops. If anyone was going to be a target, it would be her," Windbag said with a wave of his hoof, until I slammed a hoof on it. "Ow! What was that for?"

"If she's going to be the biggest job, then it is your job to cover! Now get going!" I shouted before grabbing him by his back and throwing him into the air, where he stopped after flying a few feet, hovering in the air as he gave me a glare.

I was about to say something else, when I was interrupted by my radio when I heard the familiar voice of Captain Stone as he said, "Captain Aura, this is the Solar Glory, we have finally arrived and are awaiting your orders."

About damn time, I thought to myself as I replied, "Solar Glory, contact the troops on the field, and provide support with your short range armaments when requested. Meanwhile, locate the remnants of the enemy ships and hit them with your long range cannons, we need to soften whatever forces they may have there as well as keep them from getting any foothold."

"Understood Captain," Stone replied, as I started to hear the sound of the Solar Glory's turbines as it faintly appeared in the distance behind the treeline, where I could see its guns opening fire.

Meanwhile, Princess Luna landed near me looking at the sight alongside me, asking, "Captain Aura, do you think this is the battle is finally won?"

"Not a chance, not until we wipe out every last Xartik machine on the battlefield. Until then, we ha—" I started to answer until the side of Luna's head flashed, indicating that her shield was deflecting a hit, as I saw my shield flaring up before fading away as I felt an impact on my right side, sending me to the ground as I felt a sharp pain in my gut as Luna's eyes widen in shock.

"Sniper! There is an enemy sniper! Everyone get down!" Windbag shouted into the radio as Luna raised a barrier around us.

"Captain Aura! Are you hurt?" Luna cried out as she rushed to my side as I placed a hoof at what I believe to be the impact point, where I felt a hole in my armor and the presence of blood.

Lifting up my hoof to see the blood on it, I simply stated, "Yeah... I'm hurt... and I might need surgery... Fuck, I fucken hate interdimensional traveling... and can someone get me a medic before I take the risk of bleeding out?"