• Published 9th Apr 2016
  • 4,881 Views, 335 Comments

Cosmic Rifts - Silvak



Selene has been discovered, as an invasion takes place. As one of Equus' military leaders, Aether must lead the Aegis Guard alongside the rest of Equus against their new enemies.

  • ...
17
 335
 4,881

Chapter IX: Present

"Now, Captain, hold still and rema—"

"I am calm, but I won't be if you take your bloody time getting this bullet out of me! Take any longer and I'll just use a knife to get it out myself!"

Sighing, the medic replied, "Fine Captain, just give me a moment," before he lit his horn as I felt the bullet moving around in my side before it came out of the hole that the bullet gave me. I was behind some cover with my chest armor taken off while Agate kept a shield up.Luna went off to find the sniper after a few medics arrived with reinforcements, and judging by the rather big explosion that had a blue hue to it, I guess she found it.

"Considering that you're not showing a single sign of pain, I wonder if you actually enjoy having a piece of metal in you," Windbag joked, causing me to glare at him. Before I could make a retort, I felt the medic applying a cleansing potion to my side, which naturally gave it a burning sensation due to the fact that since we're facing an enemy that had unknown metal compounds and chemical weapons at their disposal, it was standard issue to cleanse any wounds that were hit by any non-energy weapons. Looking at the medic after I felt him patching my side up, I watched as he deposited the blood-soaked bullet into a storage container, another standard issue so we can get any insight on what kind of physical ammunition the enemy was using.

"Alright Captain, the bullet is out, and the wound wasn't deep nor did any of your organs get hit, but I recommend that you don't go back into battle still," the medic said, which I responded by rolling my eyes at him.

"Like I'm going to sit back and relax while others are still fighting," I stated as I got up, holding back a wince as my side stung me for the effort while the medic just sighed before moving to help his fellow medics with Delta Five's wounded. As I checked my shields while lighting my horn up to recharge their battery, I turned on my radio as I said, "All units, report your progress." After receiving the reports that none of the other squads faced any trouble beyond the simple shield formations, I ordered, "Alright, everyone, continue your approach towards the enemy, but keep an eye out for snipers. Keep your shields charged, but if any squads are unable to do so, fall back and wait for reinforcements. We can't take any more risks for the time being. If you spot any heavily entrenched forces or enemy armor, just report their locations to the Solar Glory so they can blow them to Tartarus." Turning off my radio, I looked around to notice that Cherry and Night were missing, causing me to look at the rest of my squad as I asked, "Where the fuck are Cherry and Night?"

"They followed Luna in order to provide her support. They figured that you rather have them pushing forward instead of staying here until you were treated," Agate answered, causing me to roll my shoulders as I cracked my neck.

"Alright then, time to get ba—" I started to say until Windbag held his foreleg out in front of me, causing me to glare at him as I said, "What the fuck are you doing, Windbag?"

"Princess Luna has given me orders to ensure that you don't rejoin the fight," Windbag stated with a smug grin.

"Windbag, you got to the count of three to get your foreleg out of my fa—" I started to say until Agate stuck his foreleg in front of me as well. "Oh come on!"

"Princess Luna has ordered me as well, Captain," Agate stated, trying to take on a serious expression, which faltered under my withering glare. "She doesn't want you getting injured again, and that it wouldn't due for you to suffer magical exhaustion." As I was about to open my mouth to holler at the two, Agate added, "Though, I have a recommendation at what you could be doing to aid the troops, Captain."

Giving him the stink eye, I replied, "It better be good, Agate, or you'll find yourself cleaning the toilets with just your tongue."

Blinking in surprise, Agate glanced at Windbag, who simply commented, "She's not kidding, she will make you do that if you can't satisfy her demands."

Gulping at the threat hanging over his head, Agate said, "Princess Luna had proposed that you instead return to the Solar Glory to take command of the long-range artillery guns. She mentioned that you might find amusement peppering where you think the Xartik may be entrenched."

Giving him a long hard look for a moment, I let out a sigh as I replied, "She's right, I would like to rain down destruction on the enemy. Time to see if robots could understand the concept of shock and awe," as Agate let out a sigh of relief. "Now let's get moving so I can start blowing things up."


"And this is the holomap designed by Twilight Sparkle herself, using the Cutie Map at her castle as a form of inspiration," Captain Stone explained with Gregory at his side. We were gathered at the Solar Glory's command deck, which was staffed with species of all kinds and the holomap that Stone was talking about dominating the center, looking like a light blue projection of the battlefield with various green and red dots on it. The deck was at an elevated position above the rest of the ship, but was given a secondary shield since its position would make it a prime target for enemy fire. I was on the side with the windows closest to the battlefield, where I could see the constant bombardment by the ship's cannons on enemy positions, as well as the sight of one of the fallen alien ships being peppered with the long range guns.

"Nice design we got here, I assume these windows aren't just for our viewing pleasure?" I asked as I lifted a pair of binoculars to get a view of the rest of the forest.

"Of course not, Captain. These windows are reinforced glass enchanted with magic to make them even further stronger. Even a sniper round would have a hard time penetrating them," Gregory said, causing me to nod in approval as I spotted signs of another crashed ship’s remains.

"Good to see that whoever designed the ship made certain to cover any potential weakness as best as they can. Also, Stone, shift the long range cannons over to that position to the left of their current target," I ordered, causing Stone to come to my side with his own binoculars, taking a moment to see what I saw.

"Impressive Captain, you have a good eye on you," Stone said before looking at one of the officers on deck as he passed on the orders.

"Eh, it's something I developed in my younger years. Hard to survive if you don't spot the things that want to make you their next dinner," I idly replied as I watch the new target get peppered before turning my attention to Gregory. "I want you to start scanning the area for more alien crash sites, that way we can beat them to Tartarus before our troops move in for the kill."

"Yes Captain," Gregory said as I held my binoculars to him, which he grabbed as he made his way to the window, allowing me to walk over to the holomap to give it my full attention.

"We really need to make some name differences," I muttered to myself as I gave the battlefield a better view, seeing that not only was the holomap projecting the battlefield, but I could see tiny floating signs over the various units we have on the field, as well as indicators for various battlefield locations, marking potential crash sites or enemy ambushes. It was then that a claw came down from above me to poke my nose, cause me to scrunch it as I looked up to see Discord floating above me. "What are you up to now, Discord?" I asked as I cocked an eyebrow at him.

"Why, just checking on my work, ain't it wonderful?" Discord said as he started poking various spots on the map, some of them being spots where there was marked alien ship remains, others unmarked spots, causing me to narrow my eyes at them.

"Captain Stone, mark those locations for bombardment immediately. Gregory, keep viewing the forest for anything suspicious, I don't want a wave of tanks coming down on a vulnerable squad or something like that," I ordered before turning my attention back to Discord, who was still floating around leisurely. "Thanks for the assist, and your little trick on the Xartik ships."

"My pleasure, even if this is all dreadful business, in my opinion. But alas, with such cruel monsters going after us, we have no choice but to fight for our survival. Hopefully my present will deter them from their desires to take over Equus," Discord stated as he filed his claws.

Looking at the remains of the enemy ships, I said, "I don't know, despite losing ships on arrival, they kept sending in some more, so I don't think that hurt them too much."

"I was talking about a different present, my silly filly," Discord replied with a chuckle, causing me to tilt my head at that.

"Huh? Then what did you gave them?" I asked, tilting my head as I ran my mind on what Discord could possibly do to them, before shaking my head at the futility of it.

"Oh, just something to mess with their center of gravity, so to speak," Discord simply answered as he gave me a smirk.


"This anomaly... to have such a capability, Species 3249 has much potential for not only scientific study but military capacities as well. Acquiring this species would grant us a new military edge over our competitors."

"Interesting proposal, Executive 423. Perhaps we will devote resources to this pursuit in order to further our corporation's goals. It appears that Executive 517 and 498 seemed interested in partaking in this particular endeavor."

"Their forces and assets would be mo—"

"Alert. Alert. Unknown anomaly detected at Mustering Station 4."

"What in limbo... Is that some sort of box? Command Unit 924, send a drone to investigate it."

"Orders received. Unit TW8923924 has arrived at the anomaly, inves— error, error, gravitational distortion detected."

"Gravitational distortion? Command Unit 924, what is going on? Report!"

"Report: Gravitational distortion detected, strong gravitational pull detected at the origin point of the anomaly. Nearby drone units are being drawn towards the origin point, losing connection to drones."

"By the founder, commence evacuation of the immediate area of all mobile assets!"

"Orders received, remaining drone personal and transport ships moving from vin—alert. Alert. Gravitational pull growing in strength, drone personal are immediately being drawn into it, transport ships report pull into the anomaly."

"My ships‽ Put their engines at full power! Jump to another dimension, even if its a random jump!"

"Orders received, engines at maximum thrust, gravitational pull has increased in response. Opening dimens—alert. Alert. All transport ships staffed at Mustering Station 4 and the station itself has ceased connection."

"..."

"Sounds like this species has more tricks up its sleeves than we thought. But do not worry Executive 423. You may have taken quite the loss there, but this event has perked my interest. Any species capable of manipulating gravity in such a fashion is most certainly something one must not pass up on investigating."

"I, on the other hand, will not participate in this matter. May you both profit from this 'venture' of yours, Executive 192, 423."

"...Command Unit 924. Muster all military assets at Mustering Station 3 and 5. Have all ground forces board the transports, and scatter them into space. I don't want any group of ships together, they should all be isolated from one another. This species is going to pay for destroying my property."