• Published 13th Feb 2016
  • 3,727 Views, 78 Comments

A Competition in Mortality - forestpip



Celestia and Luna have both fallen for Twilight Sparkle. So naturally the only way to fight for her love is to make themselves normal! At least, as normal as two princesses can be.

  • ...
9
 78
 3,727

Hello Ponyville, and Hello Twilight

The next morning, a train pulled into Ponyville carrying two very anxious pegasi.

“This is it, once we step onto the platform, our competition begins.” Flower said, standing at the door.

‘“Tis true sister.” Autumn said with a gulp. “This very moment changes our lives forever.”

“Um, excuse me, can you please move? You’re um, blocking the door.” said a soft voice behind them.

The two cautiously placed a hoof on the platform, then another. When nothing happened, they walked forward slowly.

“Wait, I know that voice! Fluttershy, is that you?” Flower exclaimed, a large grin on her face.

Fluttershy shrank onto the platform. How do you know my name?” She asked, pupils shrinking.

“You’re the Element of Kindness. You’ve saved Equestria multiple times. How could we not know?” Autumn responded.

“I Don’t know. It was nice meeting you, but I have to go. Bye!” Fluttershy said before dashing off in a blur.

Flower and autumn made their way to their new home to find it practically unfurnished. The first piece of furniture they saw was a low-quality refrigerator that was making way too much noise to be working properly.

“A repairman would cost at least 15 bits, and since we each have 50 bits after the train ticket cost, we may be able to afford a 20 to 30-bit replacement. Luna do we have a bed?” Flower yelled to her sister upstairs.

“It’s Autumn now! Yes, we have a bed, but there’s a problem!” Autumn yelled back.

“Besides the fact that we have no real kitchen to speak of? The only room in the house with what we need in it is the bathroom.” Flower said, walking up the stairs.

“There’s only one bedroom.” Autumn said to Flower once she was in the room.

Someone knocked on the door downstairs. When they opened to door, Twilight Sparkle was before them.

“Princess Twilight, what are you doing here?” Flower asked, her heart racing. She hastily bowed along with her sister.

“There’s no need to do that. I’m just here to welcome my new neighbors to Ponyville! Do you need any help unpacking?” Twilight asked, looking around the room. “I thought you just got here. Where are all the boxes? Where’s the furniture?”

“We didn’t have much to pack.” Autumn explained. “Don’t most houses come like this?”

“No. Most houses come furnished. I think the previous owner might have scammed you. Have you already signed the contract?” Twilight asked, growing concerned.

“We weren’t involved in the purchasing. Someone else helped us. We don’t know anything about this.” Flower explained.

“I’ll talk to the mayor. Are there any other discrepancies?” Twilight asked, preparing to fly.

“We were of the belief that this was a two bedroom house. There’s also an odd smell. Can you tell what that is?” Flower asked, sniffing lightly.

Twilight smelled the air. “It might be a has leak. How’s your stove?”

“Non-existent.” Autumn replied.

“Then there’s your problem. I’ll get somebody to come by on the way back from the town hall.”

“You don’t have to do that for us. We don’t want to be a bother.” Flower responded, growing increasingly nervous. Twilight was right there, helping them and just being beautiful. Nothing compared to that smile. She was everything Celestia could ever want, and she wasn’t going to give up.

“Flower? Hello? Are you okay?” Twilight asked, waving a hoof in front of her face.

“What? Huh?” Flower asked, shaking out of her trance.

“We need to get you out of this house. I think the gas might be affecting you. You can wait in the castle while I sort things out.” Twilight said, turning around.

Autumn and Flower followed Twilight to the castle. She had them wait in the giant lobby that she’d turned into a semi-public library. When she returned, she had a confused look on her face.

“I don’t understand. The mayor’s never heard if you.” Twilight said.

“Now what do we do?” Autumn asked.

“I could let you stay in the guest room.” Twilight said, her eyes lighting up. “It could be like a really long sleepover until your situation gets sorted out! Wouldn’t that be fun?”

“You really don’t have to do this, you’ve been so kind to us already.” Flower said.

“It’s okay, really. What kind of pony would I be if I let myself, the Princess of Friendship, leave two friends in need of help I can so easily give.” Twilight replied, practically beaming.

“It’ll be fun Flower! Accept a favor for once.” Autumn said, a large grin on her face.

“You’re sure we’re not intruding?” Flower asked, unsure about the convenience of all this.

“I’m sure. As long as you can deal with Pinkie Pie.” Twilight said. “Has she met you two yet?”

“No, I don’t think she has.” Autumn replied, tapping a hoof on her chin.
“Trust me, you’d know if you had met her. She loves throwing Welcome to Ponyville parties.” Twilight explained, pulling a book off the shelf with her magic. “I should probably show you to the guest room. Are you okay with sharing a bed?”

“Yes, we are.” Flower responded.

“Speak for yourself.” Autumn scoffed.

“If it’s a problem, I can make something else work.” Twilight said, trying her best to be hospitable.

“No, no, it’s fine.” Flower responded, nudging Autumn with her elbow.

“Fine.” Autumn said, shuffling forward. “Let’s get to our room. We have more to do today.”

“Um, miss.” Twilight said, pointing the opposite direction. “The guest room is this way.”

Twilight lead them to the room in silence. She quickly removed the decorations from her brother’s visit and left to read the book she had been levitating

“Do you think Cadence planned this?” Autumn asked, unpacking her comb, 3DS, and a decorative flag from her first Nightmare Night. She set the 3DS on the windowsill to charge via solar power. She then plopped down on the bed, unsure of what else to do.

“It seems like something she’d do. I bet she’s in her castle right now, laughing up a storm.” Flower replied, stacking three books she’d brought on the nightstand. “I’m going to go to the library to read.”

“You have three perfectly good books right here.” Autumn argued, pointing to them.

“I don’t read those until late at night. They’re too painful for the light of day.” Flower explained, walking out of the room.

“Your day brings plenty of pain. It’s full of sunburns, hot roads, and baking heat. If you look at that precious Sun of yours burns ponies eyes when they look at it.” Autumn snapped, but Flower was already gone.

Autumn looked at the spines of the books.

“Predictions and prophecies, and two blank, titleless books.” Autumn thought aloud.

One book, though not falling apart was quite clearly a thousand years old; the other was fairly new.

Diaries? Why would she carry around more than one? Especially when one of them is being magically held together. Autumn thought.

She grabbed the newest diary and stared at the cover. It was wrong to read someone else’s diary. It was a breach of trust but then again, It was right there in front of her. Maybe just a peek…
Meanwhile, Flower had finally made her way back to the lobbrary (It’s a mix between lobby and library. Be amazed.)

“Hey Twilight, can I ask you something?” Flower asked.

“Sure.” Twilight responded, placing her bookmark.

“Why are you being so kind to us?” Flower asked, sitting in a chair next to Twilight.

“Why wouldn’t I be nice to you? You’re a pony in need, and I have the ability to help you.” Twilight responded. “Besides, you two are so cute together!”

“We’re sisters.” Flower deadpanned.

“Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry! I didn’t think to ask.’ Twilight said, embarrassed.

“My name’s Flower Vine by the way. My sister’s name is Autumn Breeze. I thought you should know.” Flower said, looking down.

“Those are beautiful names.” Twilight offered, trying to cheer up her new friend.

“Thank you. Do you recommend any books? I came out here to read.” Flower said with a slight smile.

“Here, try this one.” Twilight said, floating a book down. The three princesses spent the day reading.

When they got to bed, Autumn and Flower faced away from each other. When Autumn was finally asleep, Flower cried to herself, clutching her thousand-year-old diary. She could remember the fight with Nightmare Moon like it was yesterday. She could never forgive herself for that. Every time she looked in the mirror she saw the effect that day had on her hair. Of all things, why had the elements sent her sister away? Maybe they were punishing Celestia as well. It was her fault that her sister grew so angry. If only she could be a good listener. Maybe then she would get along with her sister. Maybe then Twilight would love her back.

“I’m so sorry sister. I hope you can forgive me.” Flower sobbed.

Wiping the tears from her eyes, she got up and left the room. Maybe fresh air would do her some good.

Author's Note:

Even Twilight ships ponies now and then!:twilightblush:
I hope you guys liked this chapter!

Try not to procrastinate too much,
Forestpip