• Published 13th Feb 2016
  • 3,715 Views, 78 Comments

A Competition in Mortality - forestpip



Celestia and Luna have both fallen for Twilight Sparkle. So naturally the only way to fight for her love is to make themselves normal! At least, as normal as two princesses can be.

  • ...
9
 78
 3,715

The Start and End of Many Things

Flower paced in the kitchen. On the one hoof, food always made her feel better. On the other hoof, this was Twilight’s house. Stealing was not a way to make a good impression. Her pacing increased.

“Can’t sleep?” Twilight asked behind her.

“Twilight! I wasn’t going to steal your food I promise!” Flower panicked, turning around too quickly and falling on the floor.

“If you want a midnight snack that’s fine. Here, I came to get something too.” Twilight said, lifting a cookie jar with her magic. Two plates and glasses floated out of the cabinet above the sink. Three cookies placed on each plate and some milk was poured into each glass, before being warmed by her magic.

“Thanks,” Flower said, getting up and sitting at the table.

“So what’s bothering you?” Twilight asked, sitting across from Flower at the table. “You wouldn’t be awake if something wasn’t bothering you.”

“How do you know? I could be an insomniac.” Flower reasoned.

“You aren’t but your sister is,” Twilight replied calmly, dunking her cookie in her milk.

“What makes you say that?” Flower asked surprised.

“Haven’t you noticed the bags under her eyes? The way she stayed in your room even after traveling all day? She’s been doing a lot of resting for someone who hasn’t had much exercise. She’s either an insomniac, a pony getting used to a new sleep schedule, or a pony who hates travel.” Twilight said matter-of-factly.

“Well whatever it is, I don’t have time to think about it now,” Flower said, finishing her cookies.

“You should make time then. My mentor Celestia learned that the hard way. She wasn’t as good a listener as she is now.” Twilight said before finishing her milk.

“You think she’s a good listener? Flower asked.

“Well, yeah. She’s always been there for me. Even when we’re far apart and I sent her friendship letters, she was always there.” Twilight said a warm smile on her face.

“She never stood up for Equestria with you and your friends. I mean, did she ever even write back?” Flower asked.

“Well, no, but she didn’t have to. I knew she was proud of me, and that’s all I needed. I try to live my life in a way that makes more than just me happy. I want to make her happy too. If I sent her a letter asking what to do when to pegasi were out of a home, I’m sure she’d tell me to take some risks, make new friends, and seek out the adventures in life. That’s why I’ve done so much for you too. I want to make the most of life no matter how long it is. That would make her proud. That would make her love me.” Twilight said with a smile. “Or maybe I’d at least convince her sister.”

Flower nearly choked on her remaining milk.

“I should go to bed. Goodnight!” Flower said, scrambling out of the kitchen.

What’s up with her? Twilight thought. Can’t a mare express her want for love without ponies freaking out. It’s like I said the first day I got here; all the ponies in this town are crazy!

***


All three sat at the table eating breakfast. Autumn had cooked for herself and Twilight some scrambled eggs and toast while Flower ate cereal.

“I had the weirdest dream last night,” Twilight said. “Two glowing hearts attacked each other, the town was panicking again, and a giant cookie declared war on Equestria. The strangest part of the dream was that Celestia and Luna had left Canterlot. Cadence was in charge while they did something else. Luna must have been feeling creative because that would never happen, right?”

The two sisters stopped eating their breakfast and looked at each other. Autumn gulped down the food in her mouth and looked at Twilight.

“You haven’t heard the news have you?” Autumn asked, a concerned look on her face.

“What news?” Twilight asked, slightly worried.

“Celestia and Luna aren’t in Canterlot. They took a break from palace life to better understand their subjects.” Flower explained, eating another spoonful of Cereal.

“What? Why didn’t they tell me? Twilight asked, slightly hurt.

“Probably so you don’t try to find them or accidentally blow their cover. You’re a clever mare. It wouldn’t take you long to find them if they were here.” Autumn explained.

“That makes sense, but I’m still going to have Spike send a letter. I’ll be right back.” Twilight said, excusing herself from the table.

As soon as Twilight was gone, Flower ran from the table. Then, she ran right back.
“Did we bring any quills?” Flower asked out of breath.

“No. We could only bring what we ‘absolutely needed.’” Autumn snapped before sipping some orange juice. “Just use one of your feathers.”

Flower plucked a feather from her wing, then scrunched up her face. She placed the feather on the table.

“What about the ink?” Flower asked, growing more and more desperate. “That letter will arrive any second.”

“You’re really desperate aren’t you?” Autumn asked, a smirk on her face.

“Yes! I need ink! Flower yelled.

“Beg,” Autumn commanded.

“No! Just tell me where the ink is!” Flower responded.

“I won’t tell you until you beg me too,” Autumn said with a hmf, turning her head away.

“Autumn, I don’t have time for this!” Flowered yelled.

“I’m not hearing any begging,” Autumn said, still turned away.

“Okay, fine! Can you please, please, PLEASE, tell me where the ink is!” Flower begged, grabbing the feather from the table in preparation.

“The drawer on the nightstand has some,” Autumn said amused.

Flower galloped away at a speed that could only be rivaled by Pinkie. Just as she got to the nightstand, the letter arrived.

“Dear Princess Celestia” Flower read out loud. “While I’m slightly offended by the lack of a letter explaining the situation, I completely understand. Yesterday was eventful for me as well. Two pegasi moved into the house near my castle, They seemed to be having some difficulty, so I’m letting them stay with me for the time being. Good luck on your adventure, Twilight Sparkle.”

Grabbing a scroll and some ink, she (as quickly as she could without magic) wrote back.

How am I going to send this? she thought.

Flower tiptoed to Spike’s room, where he was reading a comic book.
“Spike, I need you to give this to Twilight and say it’s from Celestia,” Flower said, hoofing over the scroll.

“Why?” Spike asked, greatly confused.

“Let’s just say it’s really important, okay?” Flower replied.

“I don’t even know you. Why would I lie to Twilight just because you told me to?” Spike asked, folding his arms.

Flower sighed.

“Maybe because it would make Celestia very unhappy?” She’s standing right in front of you.” Flower whispered.

“Prove it,” Spike said, his arms still folded. “What’s something only Celestia would know?”

“When you were 1-month-old you had a pink blanket you absolutely adored. One day you accidentally set it on fire, so until you got your draconic ability under control we had to fire-proof the whole castle. We also took the blanket away which made you cry and throw temper tantrums for 3 weeks.” Celestia whispered angrily. “Now give Twilight the letter.”

“Yes, Princess!” Spike said, scrambling out the door.

Flower calmly walked back to the kitchen, where Twilight was reading the letter aloud.

“Dear Princess Twilight” She read. “I apologise for not notifying you. I didn’t have much time considering all the preparations that needed to be made. I’m glad you took those two pegasi in. Ponies like them are exactly why I’m doing this. Things aren’t just perfect in Equestria, but with people like you, they could be. Thank you for your concern, Celestia.”

Twilight blushed and read the letter again.

“I knew it! Twilight said with excitement. Celestia does feel the same way! This is wonderful!” Twilight jumped around the table in excitement. “yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!”

“Check-mate,” Flower said, a smirk on her face.

“Can I talk to you outside for a moment?” Autumn said through clenched teeth.

“Sure,” Flower replied, still acting cocky.

Autumn stomped out of the castle. Flower sauntered confidently behind her.

“What was that?” Autumn yelled. “How was that fair?”

“It’s fair because she loves me, not you!” Flower yelled back.

“You didn’t even give me a chance! We just got here!” Autumn yelled, stomping her hoof.

“I didn’t need to give you a chance! She already loves me!” Flower said, lunging at Autumn.

A cartoon-like ball of smoke surrounded them as they fought each other.

“Woah, nelly!” Applejack yelled, running into the fray to stop them. “Rainbow Dash! Stop flying there and help me separate these two!”

When they had the sisters pulled apart, they were still reaching for each other’s throats.

“You don’t love her as much as I do!” Autumn yelled, struggling against Applejack.

“If you cared about me you wouldn’t love her!” Flower spat, struggling against Rainbow Dash

“I never loved you!” Autumn screamed thinking quickly. What she was about to say was a very powerful blow, but it would get under her sister’s skin, and hit her where it hurt. This is why you read someone else’s diary. “I also never forgave you for banishing me to the moon! It’s your fault I became evil! You never cared about me! I hate you!”

Flower slumped out of a thoroughly confused Rainbow Dash’s grip with tears in her eyes. “Do you mean it?” She asked with a sob.

One word and she could ruin their relationship forever or save it.

Author's Note:

Wow, that was long! I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter because things are going to heat up pretty soon.

Prepare for battle (soon-ish)!

Don't run away from problems,
Forestpip.