• Published 31st Jan 2016
  • 1,383 Views, 78 Comments

The Great Transition - Bronyfordays



Equus is dying, so Twilight and all of Equestria take three massive ships to look for a new place to live. When they get there, however, they find another race on the brink of extinction.

  • ...
6
 78
 1,383

Chapter 3

I awoke with a fright on some smooth, comfortable moss. Quickly, I looked around to survey my surroundings, I was in a small clearing that looked fairly familiar. I felt something hit my head and I sat up. Where my head was the hand of my sister, who was sleeping snugly in the moss.

Then I remembered what happened yesterday, the news about our dad and Sarah crying. We must've fallen asleep out here while looking at the stars. I looked up, it was near noon!

"Damnit!" I said, everyone must be worried, not to mention what could of happened to us out here. Totally irresponsible of me, "What a great leader I'm turning out to be."

"Stop that," I heard Sarah say behind me. I looked to see her still lying down, but giving me one of her glares. "You're a great leader, even Dad made mistakes."

I could tell she realized what she said afterwards, "Sarah, it's fine. We should be able to talk about Dad without getting sad anyways."

"I know," Sarah sighed, "is he really gonna die soon?"

I hugged Sarah again, "We don't know for sure, but...it's a possibility, yes."

"Okay," she said quietly.

"You alright?" I asked.

"Yeah, better at least," then she pulled out of the hug, "Why are you all sweaty?"

"Oh," I said as I let go of her, "I think I might have had a bad dream."

"You mean one of those 'nuclear nightmares'?" She smiled.

"You know I hated when Dad said that," I frowned.

Sarah stood up, "I know."

I followed suit, "Of course you did."

She laughed, it was so infectious that I just had to join in too. After a couple more moments, we stopped.

"Hang on," she said as her smile turned into a frown. "Do you hear that?"

I frowned as well, there was a slight ringing in my ear, "The ringing? I thought it was just-"

All of the sudden, the ringing rapidly grew sharper until it became unbearable. Sarah and I clasped our hands over our ears as the ringing just kept piercing our ears. But it didn't help, it was as if it was inside our heads! It became even more sharper and I could barely hear Sarah screaming. I looked up to see Sarah fall to her knees in pain!

"Sarah!" I yelled, and just like that the ringing stopped. Quickly, I ran over to Sarah and grabbed her shoulders to help her stand up. She looked at me, tears running down her face.

"What was that?" she asked.

"I don't know, but you're okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine. You?"

"I'm okay," I hugged her again. Whatever it was, was over, until I heard another noise. "Now what?"

"W...what..." Sarah was stuttering.

"What?" I asked, Sarah was looking at the sky behind me. I turned around and immediately wished I hadn't. Three giant, flaming asteroids were heading straight towards the city. Wait, they weren't asteroids, they were pure whight and were football shaped. They, honest to God, looked like space ships. But that didn't really matter right now...

"Shit, at the speed they're going, they'll completely obliterate the city!" I said.

"What?!" Sarah hissed. "What're we gonna do?!"

There was no way we'd be able to evacuate the village in time.

"God damnit! I don't know!"

I looked around, there was a ditch at the edge of the clearing. It looked deep enough to block the shockwave the impact would bring. I grabbed Sarah's hand and led her to the ditch.

"In here!" I pointed.

"What about the village?!"

"They have the emergency shelter, besides, Anthony's there. I trust him completely. Now, come on!"

Sarah jumped into the ditch that was at least 5 feet deep.

"Sarah," I said, "press your back against the wall. Stay there!"

She did as she was told, albeit very nervously, and I looked back at the space ship asteroid things. There was fire building around the front of the objects. They were also nearly at impact.

"Shit!" I yelled as I jumped into the ditch. I looked back one more time to see a strange glow around the objects. But then my view was covered buy the wall of the ditch. I pressed my back up against the wall and closed my eyes, hoping for the best. I felt Sarah grab my hand.

"I love you," she whispered.

"Same here Sarah, but we're not gonna die, just trust me," I wasn't sure myself, but I had to believe. For both our sakes. A couple seconds passed, then some more...and more. At about two minutes, I got curious and opened my eyes. We were still alive and in the ditch, for one thing. That was a good start, I looked to my left to see Sarah looking right back at me.

"W...what happened?" she managed to say.

"I don't know," I said, "Stay there, let me check it out." Slowly but surely, I stood up and cautiously peeked over the ditch. Somehow, everything seemed fine, did we hallucinate? I looked around and, to my surprise, the three massive objects were just sitting there, in the ruins of the city. Albeit some of the buildings fell down to make room for the ships but, still. Nada.

"Is everything alright?" Sarah spoke up. "What's out there."

"Take a look," I nodded my head.

Carefully, Sarah stood up and looked over the ditch as well. Her reaction was a little bit different than mine.

"Woah!" she said, "That looks so cool!"

I rolled my eyes and climbed out of the ditch, then knelt down and helped Sarah out. Together we stood up and got another look at the ships. They were definitely huge, had to be quite a few miles in length. As well as a couple miles wide. They were a sleek silver and had what looked to be giant black engines in the back. Yep, they were definitely space ships, but what kind of lifeforms brought these ships here? Were they evil or good? What did they look like? So many questions raced through my head that I started to get dizzy.

"Bro? You alright?" Sarah asked.

I cleared my head and turned to her, "Yeah."

"So...what do we do?"

I thought about it for a second, "Alright, I want you to head back to the village and grab Anthony as well as a couple of his guards. Tell them to head to that building near the space ships." I pointed towards a half destroyed building in the distance. "I'll be waiting for them there." I started grabbing my gear: the hunting rifle, a small pistol, a couple nutrient bars, bottle of water, and a small first aid kit.

"What about me?" Sarah asked.

"I want you to stay at the village," I said as I put the stuff in my backpack. "Don't leave."

"What?!" She said angrily, "I want to help out!"

"It's not open for discussion," I holstered my weapons.

"Too bad!" she crossed her arms and looked away.

"Look at me," I said, and when she didn't, I used my leader voice. "Sarah Stephens look at me!"

Finally, she did, "What?"

"You are going to be helpful. You're going to be the leader while I'm gone."

"Bu-wha?" she stuttered.

"Yes, you're the only one I can truly trust."

"But I'm not cut out to be a leader, I'm only sixteen!"

"Then this'll be good training for you."

"You're acting like you'll be gone forever!"

I stopped at that, what if I was gone forever? What if I died, or was abducted or something? No, I had to stay positive!

"Are you?" Sarah asked.

I looked into her worried eyes and hugged her, "I promise you, I'll be back. You don't have to worry." We hugged for a little while, then we stepped apart.

"Stay safe, ok?" I asked her.

"I should ask you the same question," Sarah said. We both smiled at that. "I love you."

"You too, sis," then she ran off towards the direction of the village. After she left, I turned back towards the ships, took a deep breath, and headed towards the building.

Author's Note:

So that's chapter three! It's a shorter chapter so I hope you guys still like it! Next chapter...they meet! As usual, please let me know of any mistakes I made and stuff like that! Thanks!