• Published 31st Jan 2016
  • 1,381 Views, 78 Comments

The Great Transition - Bronyfordays



Equus is dying, so Twilight and all of Equestria take three massive ships to look for a new place to live. When they get there, however, they find another race on the brink of extinction.

  • ...
6
 78
 1,381

Chapter 8

I woke with a start, I wasn't in my bed. Quickly, I surveyed my surroundings. I was at the site, must've fallen asleep again. Then I remembered, the ships, the ponies, and...Dad. I almost cried right then and there, but I realized Sarah was lying near me. I had to be strong, for her. I looked at the sun's position and realized, I had to meet that Twilight pony!

I thought about bringing Sarah back to the camp, but she can take care for herself. It's not like any mutants would attack her. We drove them all away a long time ago. She would be perfectly safe. Besides, I didn't want to see the villagers right now. Except for Anthony and the two other cops, as well as Sarah, no one believed me about the ponies. I don't know how my dad did it, but he was a great leader.

I set a gun down next to Sarah, in case the ponies decided to be more aggressive. I didn't trust them, not even that Twilight pony. Though I was still going to meet her, so I guess there was some trust. With that, I walked off, unaware of the figure stalking me.


I solemnly trudged through the streets back towards the attack site. Now that I was out of Sarah's view, I started thinking about Dad. I reached the attack site and...started crying. I couldn't help it. All the memories and, I couldn't help but feel guilty. I wasn't there when he died, it probably was terrible for him. He had no inkling of where we were, and died alone. I cried even more.

Then I felt a hand on my shoulder, I looked up to see Anthony, looking at me sadly. Damnit, he can't be here.

"Anthony, you shouldn't be here!" I hissed.

He patted my shoulder, "And leave you to suffer alone? Hell no!"

"That's not the reason," I whispered.

"Then what's the reason?" He asked curiously.

But before I could tell him to go away, fate decided to drop Twilight into existence. Noticing where my eyes were looking, he immediately turned around and whipped out his gun.

"Who the hell are you?!" He said.

Twilight started stuttering, being at the wrong end of a gun can do that to you. Her horn started glowing.

"Stop!" I yell. Instantaneously, they both stop and look at me. But they both keep their guard up. I didn't know where to start, so I went with introductions. "Anthony, this is Princess Twilight Sparkle. Twilight, this is Captain Anthony Williams of the police force."

The two looked at me, then each other, and for a couple awkward seconds of silence, I thought things were gonna go downhill. Then Twilight held out her hoof.

"Nice to meet you, Anthony," she smiled. For another couple seconds he just looked at her, confused. "Well?"

"What? You want me to kiss it or something," Anthony said sarcastically.

I stifled a laugh as Twilight blushed and stammered, "N...no! Shake!"

"Ah," Anthony said. He grasped her hoof in his hand and shook it gently.

I watched as they let go, and spoke up, "I didn't know you guys had handshakes."

"Handshakes? That's what species with hands and claws call them, ponies call them hoofshakes," she said nonchalantly.

However, that made Anthony laugh, I managed to stifle yet another one.

"What's funny?" She asked.

"Nothing, nothing," Anthony said, calming down. Then he looked at me, "Twilight, you mind if I borrow Anthony for a second?"

"Go ahead, he is your friend," she said.

"Thanks," he came over to me, and walked me over to a secluded spot. I already knew what he was gonna ask, so I answered for him.

"Because I was worried how the two of you would react to each other," I said.

"You know me enough that you could've brought me along and it would've been fine," he argued.

"Yet you pointed a gun at her," I countered.

"Because she appeared out of nowhere! Like, how did she do that?!"

"No idea, teleportation machines?"

"Ok, but still, you should've told me!"

"Whatever..."

"Um...Jack?" I heatd Twilight say.

"Yeah?" I turned towards her.

"My friends are coming..." she said worriedly.

My eyes widened. "What?! How do you know?"

"I thought I heard something, so I scanned the area, my friends are searching for me!" She started acting up. "I should've realized this would happen!"

"Twilight!" I yelled. She stopped panicking. "It's okay, Anthony and I will just hide behind that car." I pointed to a run down Porsche on the road.

She nodded. "Good."

With that Anthony and I hid behind the car a couple yards away, I actually found my rifle that I dropped during the original encounter. Stowing it on my back, I looked towards Twilight to see her friends just arriving. I could now take a better look at the different ponies. There was the biggest one, who was white and had a picture of a sun on her flank, weird. And her hair, it was brightly colored and seemed to flow no matter what.

Then there was the medium one, she was a dark blue and her hair literally looked like the night sky. It was also flowing. She had a flank picture as well, a moon. Come to think of it, they all had those. Twilight had a pink star surrounded by other ones. That was all the time I had to think because they started talking.

"Twilight?! Are you okay? What happened?" A regular white one asked. It had a curly purple mane and seemed to be a unicorn. The two big ones had both a horn and wings, like Twilight. She also had 3 blue diamonds on her flank.

"Did those humans get you?!" That was the rainbow haired one that flipping attacked me. She was a cyan blue pegasus with a rainbow lightning cloud on her flank. "We should find where they live and teach them a lesson!"

I heard Anthony growl, I turned towards him and shook my head. He reluctantly nodded.

Finally, Twilight spoke. "No, that's not it, I just was...taking a walk."

Anthony silently chuckled, "Man she's a bad liar." I slapped him on the back of his head.

Somehow though, none of them seemed to notice. I sighed in relief. Until I heard a loud growling noise coming from nearby. The ponies seemed to hear it too, as they all tensed up. It sounded familiar...

Anthony tapped my back, "Um, that sounds like-"

And suddenly, a couple yards away from the ponies, came a group of creatures I never though I'd see again. Mutants. Each mutant was unique and was really hard to describe. But one thing is clear they were nasty. There were only three of them, but those ponies were no match for them. Only bullets could kill them.

"Mutants! I thought we drove them all off!" Anthony said worriedly. "What do we do?"

"Shoot 'em," I said calmly as I grabbed my rifle. I stood up in a hunter's position. In reality, I was quite nervous, I didn't want any of them to die. Sure some of them were asses, but that didn't matter right now. I told Anthony to watch my back and aimed at the creatures. For some reason a yellow one with long pink hair was walking towards them. She was a pegasus with pink butterflies on her flank. "Shit!"

I tried to aim at the mutant in front before the pegasus could get close...but I was too late. The mutant whacked the pegasus into the air and she was launched into some debris. I couldn't tell if she was still alive. Sadly, her friends decided that they should all abandon the mutants that are attacking them. As they ran towards their fallen companion, one of the mutants jumped at the big white one. But this time I was ready, I shot a bullet straight at the beast and it landed dead on the ground with a thud. Luckily, bullets could easily kill mutants for some reason.

Sadly, the mutants realized they were being shot at and turned towards me. "Anthony! Could use some help here!" Anthony turned towards the mutants quickly and shot down the second one with a couple of well placed bullets from his pistol. The last one was speeding up, but I was faster. With a nicely timed shot, I put it down and it skidded on the ground for a second before stopping a few feet away.

As I scanned the area for anymore threats. My eyes locked with Twilight's. She was looking at me for some reason. But it was a look of fear, why? That's when I heard it, faint steps from behind.

Anthony breathed a sigh of relief, and was about to speak when I shoved him to the left. Immediately, I felt a force pin me to the ground from behind. It was another mutant. I struggled and heard Anthony yell 'Jack!'. Somehow, I managed to turn onto my back and face the creature. It kept clawing at me but I managed to hold it off. But I couldn't do it forever. After a couple seconds, I started getting tired. But, right before I couldn't hold on anymore, the mutant went flying off of me and straight into a rusty car, the force killed it instantly.

I sighed in relief, and looked around for my savior. Anthony was staring at something behind me. I turned around to see the ponies a couple yards away. That pink haired one was draped over the big white ones back. But they were all staring at Twilight. Who was looking at the mutant in shock. She had smoke coming from her horn.

"Twilight, are you okay?" I asked, feeling very tired.

"I...I killed it..." she stuttered.

"H...how?" I asked, for some reasing I was losing conciousness.

"With a fire spell..." she said, then looked at me. The last thing I heard was her saying. "Jack! You're arm!"

Then...darkness...

Author's Note:

For some reason, I like having my characters lose conciousness or fall asleep at the end of a chapter. Haha. Anyway, thanks for reading. Next chapter... Jack and Anthony meet more ponies!