• Published 6th Jan 2016
  • 1,564 Views, 151 Comments

What Lies Within - KidatHeart5



When all of Equestria is in peril, it's up to six royals to set things right. Along the way, they learn shocking secrets and must face powerful enemies.

  • ...
1
 151
 1,564

Ambushes

Snow Pea eventually found a statue garden, which had snow and statues in place of flowers. She couldn’t really enjoy the view of the garden due to her teary vision, though. She was too distressed about what Olaf told her about the prophecy. She didn’t really want to destroy time, but if she didn’t, then how could she get rid of the Windigos who bestowed her with snow powers? She didn’t ask to be born that way, nor did she ask to be a prophesied snow princess. She just wished that she could be somepony else.

She went to a frozen fountain and wept along its rim. When she looked at her reflection, she remembered the vision the Crystal Heart gave her. She had seen herself taming the snow and flurries and being surrounded by Windigos. Was she really going to join them and bring destruction to all of Equestria? She stomped at her reflection out of contempt, and then remembered what Olaf had told her about striking her hoof three times and destroying time. Despair overwhelmed her again and she resumed weeping on the edge of the fountain.

She thought to herself, Who am I, really? Am I the heir to the Maredelle throne or somepony destined to freeze all of Equestria? Which princess am I? A princess on a tropical island, or a snow princess? I don’t even know which one I am.

After her tears dried, she stood in silence for a few moments until she heard a strange whinnying. She looked up at the sky and her eyes widened with fright. Windigos were gliding down from the sky towards Snow Pea.

Snow Pea gasped, “Oh, no! It’s them!” She then ran as she screamed, “Help! Somepony, help me! The Windigos are here!” She tried to blast them with her magic, but they dodged it easily.

She then heard Sunset’s voice calling, “Snow Pea?!”

Before Snowy could respond, however, a few Windigos dived at her and flew around her. They created a snowy whirlwind strong enough to lift her off the ground.

Snow Pea could hardly see anything outside the whirlwind, but she heard Discord command, “Release my niece, you wintery ghouls!”

Outside the whirlwind, Discord snapped up a hairdryer and said, “Suck hot air, evildoers!” Blowing the dryer on the Windigos worked for a while…until they shot a cold blast at him. When he opened his eyes, he saw that most of the dryer was encased in ice. He muttered when he tossed the dryer, “Well, I guess that didn’t work.”

Sunset shot a ray of magic at them, but it did little to deter them. She grunted, “Nothing’s working!”

Just then, Discord had an idea. He warned Sunset, “I have an idea, but you’re not going to like it.” He then conjured up the Air Vest.

Sunset exclaimed, “What?! Discord, are you crazy?!”

“Just trust me on this!”

But just before he could clip on the first strap, a Windigo saw this and charged at him.

Screwball cried, “Daddy, look out!”

Her cry came too late, for the Windigo blew a powerful cold blast of air at Discord. He fell back on the ground with great force.

Screwy rushed to her father’s side, crying, “Daddy!”

Through a small open strip in the whirlwind, Snow Pea saw that Discord could barely move and seemed to be in pain. That did it for her.

With building fury and courage, Snow Pea said, “Don’t. Hurt. My. FAMIIILLLYYY!!!”

A great warmth soon overtook Snow Pea. She realized that the Fire Tiara was activating. She focused all her energy on her strong emotions, her love for her family, and her goodness and put all that energy into the tiara. As soon as she did that, the tiara’s magic overwhelmed her. She could do nothing but stand still and feel the potent energy flowing through her.

To the royals, however, the tiara emitted a blinding brilliant amaranth glow. Each wave the tiara unleashed drove the Windigos further and further away from the royals until the wintery demons disappeared over the horizon. Moments earlier, Nightmare Moon had seen the Windigos try to abduct Snow Pea and retreated back to the Umbrum world before the Fire Tiara started unleashing its magic.

As soon as the threat was gone, the Fire Tiara gently lowered Snow Pea to the snowy ground and deactivated. The other royals and yaks opened their eyes to see Snowy barely breathing and barely alive. Her French braid had become undone during the tiara’s counterattack, leaving only jagged waves of mane spilling from her head. Discord and Sunset were the first to rush to her side.

Discord breathed while he stroked Snow Pea’s mane, “Snowy…”

Sunset whispered, “Oh, kiddo…”


The yak doctor emerged from the room where Snow Pea was resting. He told the royals, “She be fine. Heat from tiara not good for her, even with snow powers. She recover in one hour or two.”

When the doctor left, Apple Jewel and Screwball burst into tears and embraced Sunset and Discord, respectively.

“Screwy, honey, what’s wrong?” Discord asked.

Screwy choked, “Don’t wear the Air Vest, Daddy. What if the same thing happens to you?”

Apple Jewel added, “Or to Aunt Sunny? She’s wearing the bracelets.”

Discord comforted his daughter as he stroked her coat, “Tell you what? I’m not going to wear the Air Vest. I’m worried about Snow Pea, too, but she’s going to be all right. Right now, I’m just focusing on all of you. I’m going to do everything in my power to protect all of you.” He then thought to himself, Even if it means confronting my old frenemy.

Sunset comforted the girls, “Don’t worry about me, girls. I’m going to be fine.”

Discord then suggested, “How about we all sit by the fireside while we wait for Snow Pea to get better?”

The fillies, though still shaken up by the experience, nodded and said, “Okay.”


Sunset was talking to some yaks while the rest of the royals sat by the fireplace and drinking hot cocoa.

Discord rolled his eyes and said, “Typical Sunset. Always wanting to talk up a storm instead of relaxing over a nice cup of cocoa.”

Apple Jewel sipped her cocoa and remarked, “This is really good.” She then yawned, “So good, it’s making me fall asleep.”

Spike said, “Oh, no. It’s the sleeping curse again.”

Discord said, “I’m on it.” He snapped up the potion and gave a cup to Screwy and Jewel.

Screwy said when her energy was revitalized, “Again? I’m starting to get sick of this.”

Jewel agreed, “Me, too.”

Discord said, “Well, it’s both a blessing and a curse that you’re only half-pony.”

Screwy said, “But what about Mommy? She’s all pony. Why did she have to be affected?”

Jewel said, “Mine, too. I wish she was here.”

“Me, too.” Screwball then began to sing, “It’s hard to remember…a summer or winter…when she hasn’t been there for me…A friend and companion…I can always depend on…My mother, that’s who I mean…”

Apple Jewel sang, “I’ve taken for granted…seeds that she planted…She’s always behind everything…”

Both fillies sang, “A teacher, a seeker…A both-arms outreacher…My mother, that’s who I mean…”

Spike then sang, “Wish I could slow down…the hands of time…Keep things the way they are…”

Discord sang, “If she said so, I would give her the world…If I could…I would…”

Screwball sang, “My love and my laughter…”

Apple Jewel sang, “From here ever after…”

Both fillies sang, “Is all that she says that she needs…”

The fillies and the fathers then sang, “A friend and companion I can always depend on…”

The fillies sang, “Our mothers, that’s who we mean…Our mothers, that’s who we mean…”

When the fathers pulled their daughters close to them, they finished, “That’s who they mean…”

They sat in silence for several moments until a yak burst into the room and cried, “We under attack!”

Before Sunset, Discord, and Spike raced outside, she told the girls, “Stay inside!”

When the grown-ups exited the lodge, they were shocked at the sight before them. The Umbrum were terrorizing and literally petrifying many yaks, and at the head of the attack was none other than Nightmare Moon herself.

Nightmare Moon stepped towards them and said coolly, “Well, if this isn’t the pleasant surprise.”

Sunset aimed her horn at the dark princess and warned her, “We’ll give you one chance to leave without a fight.”

NMM pretended to ponder on this as she said, “Now, let me think. I believe my answer is a resounding ‘no’. I came to retrieve Princess Snow Pea, but it would be very rewarding to capture you as well.”

Discord said, “Well, you had your chance. Now face our wrath!”

“’Wrath’?” She cackled amusedly, “I’ll show you wrath!” Her eyes glowed when she said that last word. She ordered the Umbrum, “Attack!”

Just then, a voice behind the royals bellowed “CHAAARRRGGGEE!”

The trio turned to see the yaks charging at the shadow ponies. Seeing that they were in the middle, Discord scooped up Spike and Sunset and said, “Up we go!”

He jumped up and floated in mid-air while the clash below them took place. Spike soon noticed that someone was missing from the conflict and said, “Uh, guys? Where’s Nightmare Moon?”

An ominous voice behind them hissed, “Forget about Nightmare Moon.”

They turned to see an Umbrum and Discord scowled, “Oh, not you again.” With a swing of his tail, he struck the shadow pony and it fell to the ground.

Sunset remarked, “Wow. When you mean business, you really mean business.”

Discord said, “Well, serves them right for messing with the Lord of Cha-“

Before he could finish his sentence, he gave a yell as a bright light blinded Spike and Sunset. The twosome found themselves on the snowy ground and out of Discord’s grip. When they looked at each other to see if the other was okay, they found something shocking. Discord was lying on the ground…and he was frozen in stone!

Spike cried, “Not again!”

Sunset asked, “’Again’?”

Before Spike could answer, another Umbrum turned him to stone as well!

The unicorn cried, “No!”

Just then, a group of Umbrum surrounded her and one said, “You’re next, little princess.”

Sunset’s rage grew inside her and she shouted, “No…I’m…NOT!”

With a mighty blast from her horn, the Umbrum were repelled back. Before the shadow ponies could advance again, they heard a loud howling. They lifted themselves off the ground and flew over the walls of Yakyakistan. Sunset thought this was curious until…Her heart stopped when she saw a blue mist carrying Snow Pea and the Air Vest away!

Sunset shouted, “No! Snow Pea!”

She was powerless to give them chase and sat on the ground in despair. Just then, she heard two voices cry out, “Aunt Sunny!”

She turned to see Screwball and Apple Jewel racing out of the lodge. They were obviously shocked and terrified by the mass of statues now littering the streets of the kingdom.

Sunset took them in her arms and said, “Oh, girls! I’m so glad you’re all right!”

Apple Jewel asked in near-tears, “What happened, Aunt Sunny?”

Screwball asked, “Where’s Daddy?”

Sunset could find no words to answer her question. It was too heavy a burden on her heart. However, she didn’t have to answer when Apple Jewel looked around and then gasped, “NO!”

Screwball followed her gaze and grew immediately cold. The girls rushed out of Sunset’s arms and towards the stone statues of their fathers. Sunset couldn’t bear to see the fillies hugging and crying on their dads’ stone bodies.

Screwy asked with teary, pleading eyes, “Aunt Sunny, you can fix this, right?”

Jewel sobbed, “Please, Sunny. You have to help them. You have to help everyone.”

Sunset hung her head and saw the bracelets on her hooves. It gave her a great idea and her confidence grew. She told her nieces, “Girls, I want you to step back for a moment.”

The girls complied, only for Screwy to ask, “Is it one of those earth shakers?”

Sunset smirked, “Yes, it is.”

She lifted her front hooves as they glowed white and stomped them to the ground with all her might. The earth trembled from the fierce blow and suddenly, the stone crackled on the statues. Soon, pieces of stone fell to the ground, revealing only the flesh of the victims. Once they were free of their stone prisons, the victims gasped and fell to the ground.

Discord gasped, “Turned to stone again! Was that, like, the third time?!”

Spike chuckled wryly, “Now I know how you feel.”

Screwy and Jewel ran to their dads, crying, “Daddy!”

While the fathers embraced their daughters, Rutherford grunted, “We humbly thank you, Princess Sunset. You use Earth Bracelets for good. You seem to be right wearer after all.”

Sunset hung her head and she said, “But I didn’t save Snow Pea.”

The yaks and royals were all shocked to hear this. Rutherford demanded, “What happened to snow princess?!”

Sunset explained in a vulnerable tone, “I was surrounded by the Umbrum and Nightmare Moon grabbed both Snow Pea and the Air Vest while I was busy repelling the shadow ponies. I am so sorry, Your Highness.”

Before Rutherford could reprimand her, Olaf said to the prince, “Save your harsh judgments, Your Grace.” He then told Sunset, “You can still right this wrong, young princess. Use the bracelets to lead you to the snow princess. You’ve seen what they do, right?” Olaf gave her a wink, and quickly Sunset got the message.

Sunset bowed her head while saying, “I shall rescue Snow Pea from the evil clutches of the Umbrum.”

Rutherford snorted, “You better.”

Sunset walked to the open gates and closed her eyes. She concentrated on the Earth Bracelets and Snow Pea simultaneously. Before she knew it, she zipped into the far reaches of the Frozen North.

Rutherford gave a small smile and said, “She noble one. She fine princess of Canterlot.”

He looked at the royals, who were in a snowmobile fit for four. Discord answered, “But of course. She is Twilight’s twin.” He then drove the snowmobile out of Yakyakistan.


Sunset had let the bracelets take complete control of her legs. All she could do was focus on finding Snow Pea. After a while, she jumped over a snowy crest, and when she landed, the snow around her burst into a cloud of white. After the cloud dissipated, Sunset stood in complete awe of the red crystal before her.

She thought, So this is where the Umbrum live. I never thought I’d get to see it in real life.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard whirring behind her. She turned to see a snowmobile jumping onto the ground…before she was covered by the snow it expelled!

Discord removed his goggles and said, “Well, here we are.” He looked around before asking, “Huh. Where’s Sunset?”

Sunset’s head emerged from the snow and she sputtered crossly, “I’m right here!”

Jewel apologized, “Sorry.”

Sunset got out of the snow and said while she shook her hooves, “That’s okay, Apple Jewel. At least we’re here.”

Spike gulped, “You mean there?”

Discord said, “Spike, did you zone out? We’re going to go in, rescue Snow Pea, and fix this darned mess!”

Author's Note:

The song "My Mother" is from the movie The Chipmunk Adventure.