• Published 6th Jan 2016
  • 1,564 Views, 151 Comments

What Lies Within - KidatHeart5



When all of Equestria is in peril, it's up to six royals to set things right. Along the way, they learn shocking secrets and must face powerful enemies.

  • ...
1
 151
 1,564

A Difficult Task

“You want me to do WHAT?!” Discord cried.

The royals and griffons were now at the Badlands, which was creepier than Discord remembered. He thought that this was on account of the night sky growing ever darker and the shadow continuing to grow slowly.

Grampa Gruff explained, “Hunt for Big Bongo. Ye see, the way we griffons did it, we would lure a Tatzlwurm out into the open and then catch it with a net. You, however, are the Master of Chaos, so you’ll only need this plunger.” He then tossed a plunger to Discord.

The draconequus was confused by this, but he was absolutely certain of one thing. He shook his head as he said, “No, thank you. I’ve had my fill of Tatzlwurms. And I don’t do plumbing jobs.”

This irked Gilda, but then she had an idea. She teased Discord, “Hey, Discord! What are you, a chicken?”

This ticked Discord off and he said, “Chicken?” He flew up to Gilda’s face and shouted, “Chicken?! How dare you call the Lord of Chaos a chicken! You’re the chicken! Well, all right, you’re only part chicken, but still! I’ll show you who’s chicken!” He turned to Grampa Gruff and said, “I’ll do it.”

Gruff smiled, “Great!” He tied a rope around Discord’s waist and wings as he said, “When ye pull on this rope, we’ll pull you up.”

Discord looked up at the rod holding the rope at the edge of the floating platform they were on. He stroked his goatee and squinted his eyes as he whispered, “Why does that look suspiciously familiar?”

After jumping off the platform and onto the ground, Discord began walking with plunger in hand while the platform slowly followed behind him.

They searched for a whole hour before Discord said, “I’m starving. Couldn’t I take a quick snack break?” Before the others could answer, he said, “Really? Thank you.” He then conjured up a sandwich and floated while he ate. Discord was about to take another bite when the ground rumbled.

Screwball remarked, “I think the ground’s hungry, too, Dad.”

Snow Pea then saw a cloud of dust and cried as she pointed to the spot, “No, look! Over there!”

The others looked in that direction and saw the same thing Snowy did.

Gruff said, “Ooh, we must be getting close to Big Bongo! Only he could make a dust cloud like that!” He then told Discord, “A little more, Your Highness.” He then chuckled, “A little more.”

Discord groaned as he made his sandwich vanish and resumed walking.

Gruff turned to Spike and said, “Ye know, we griffons really appreciate this.” He then moaned while he straightened out his back, “Ooh…I’m getting too old for this sort of thing.”

The dragon then said as he pointed to Discord, “You know Discord. He’ll get things done lickety-split.”

“Oh.” He then chuckled, “I’m sure, I’m sure. Your pal there will really attract Big Bongo.”

Apple Jewel asked, “Really? Why?”

Gruff answered, “Well, he’s been around one Tatzlwurm. Who’s to say that others won’t flock towards him?”

Spike’s eyes shrank as he realized, “Wait, Discord’s not the hunter. He’s the bait!”

The griffon shrugged, “Well, hunter, bait. It’s really all the same.”

Sunset scowled, “No, it’s not!” Just then, the ground shook more violently. She shouted to Discord, “Discord, you better get back here, right now!”

As jags of rocks began emerging in zigzags toward Discord, Screwball asked worriedly, “Dad, what is it?”

Spike shouted, “Buddy, run! You’re the bait! Run, Discord! He’s gonna eat you!”

Discord’s eyes shrank and his ears drooped in shock as he said, “Oh, poo…”

Sunset shouted again, “Discord, what are you doing?! Get back here right now!”

Just then, black tentacles shot out of the new ridge near Discord. They wrapped around him before he had time to think.

Discord grunted, “Let go of me, you subterranean worm!” In an instant, the tentacles pulled Discord underground.

Screwball shrieked, “DAD!!!”

At that moment, the rope on the rod was being pulled by the Tatzlwurm underground.

Grampa Gruff cried, “Don’t lose the beast!”

Gilda grabbed hold of the remaining rope and pulled on it when it was being pulled from her. “I need help!” she cried.

Greta then came and helped her pull on the rope. Then others followed suit and began pulling with all their might. They managed to keep the Tatzlwurm from getting away for a while.

Gilda looked up the rope and gasped, “Oh, no! The rope’s breaking!”

Screwball said, “But we have to save Dad!”

Suddenly, a giant Tatzlwurm erupted from the ground and spit out Discord in the process.

Grampa Gruff screeched with delight as he jumped up and down, “Look! It’s Big Bongo! I knew it was him! I knew it!”

Screwball also jumped with joy as she cheered, “I see Dad! He’s okay!”

As soon as he regained his senses, Discord held out the plunger and muttered, “Well, I guess the plunger came in handy after all.”

Sunset shouted, “Snow Pea, now!”

Though Snow Pea was afraid, she fired her magic at the Tatzlwurm. Her fear was enough to encase the gigantic beast in a block of ice. Snow Pea, who had covered her eyes the entire time, looked up and saw that she did it.

Her face broke into a smile and said, “I did it, Aunt Sunny! I did it!”

Sunset walked towards the frozen Tatzlwurm and said, “Now let’s take care of business.”

She raised her front hooves and stomped the ground enough to shatter the ice completely. Big Bongo was dazed from the freeze, so Screwball took this to advantage.

She looked into the eyes of the creature and said while hypnotizing him, “You will give us the Air Vest…the same one you took from King Guto. Yes…It’s a black, shiny vest…You will give us the vest and then leave us be…”

As soon as Screwball got off the Tatzlwurm, Big Bongo complied with Screwy’s orders and retreated back underground.

Discord said to his daughter, “Uh, Screwball dearest? I think you need to work on your magic more.”

Screwy smirked back to her dad and said, “Just wait, Daddy. Three…two…one…” At that moment, the Air Vest shot out of the hole and into the air.

Discord popped into a baseball uniform and carried a huge mitt. He said, “It’s the bottom of the ninth. Big Bongo just did a huge swing. Is the ball heading this way? No, this way? Oh, oh, oh! I think it’s heading…” Before he could finish his sentence, the Air Vest landed on the mitt with such force that Discord cried, “Oof!”

Screwball jumped up and down and cheered, “And Daddy Discord catches it!”

Gruff interrupted, “All right, all right. Break it up, break it up. Are ye going to take the vest or not?”

Sunset said, “Yes, yes, we will. We want to thank you for helping us. As soon as the curse is broken and everything’s back to normal, we will help the citizens of Griffonstone and the griffon race reclaim their glory.”

Gilda said, “I couldn’t have asked for a better reward. Er, you will follow through on your promise, right?”

Discord said, “Of course.” He then crossed his heart as he said, “We’re royals of our word.”

“Right. And don’t you forget it.”

Sunset said, “Of course not. You’ll be remembered for this great deed.”

Gruff said, “Oh, I’ll definitely remember this as a story to tell.”

Gilda told Gruff, “And we were there with you.” She then turned to the royals and bowed her head while saying, “Good luck on your quest. Just make sure everything’s going to turn out all right.”

Spike said, “We promise.”


At the Frozen North, Nightmare Moon was just waking up when she saw three shadows creep over her.

Adagio asked, “Back so soon, Your Highness? Where are the princesses?”

Nightmare Moon snarled as she stood up, “They were no match for me. The magic was too strong.”

Aria sarcastically said, “I’m sure Belladonna will be happy to hear that.”

Sonata sniffed and then plugged her nose while saying, “But I don’t think she’ll be happy to smell you. What did you do? Run into a skunk?”

Nightmare Moon glared at her and warned, “I would advise against making such comments about me.” She then turned to the other two sirens and said, “And that goes for you both as well. If Belladonna wishes to see me, I will tell her myself.” She then walked towards the crystal and entered the portal.

Sonata then said, “Does she seem crankier to you?” When the other sirens glared at her, she nervously tittered, “Never mind.”


After getting a much-needed bath, Nightmare Moon then reported to Belladonna.

The Umbrum princess said, “I take it you have not succeeded in your mission.”

Though ashamed to admit it, Nightmare Moon answered, “I was unable to retrieve either princess. And I’m certain that they have moved again.”

Belladonna sighed agitatedly, “I suppose our best solution would be to wait until the princesses come to us. Or however close they’ll come. The farthest I can travel in shadow form is the Crystal Empire. Once the princesses get closer to the Frozen North, I shall make my move and ambush them.”

NMM asked, “Are you sure this is a wise plan?”

Belladonna shrugged, “Well, if I don’t capture them, I will have at least intimidated them. They will soon see that I am a force to be reckoned with.”

Author's Note:

The scene involving hunting for Big Bongo is a total Star Wars Rebels reference, including the name! Bonus: CartoonNerd12 made some suggestions that really polished this chapter.