• Published 6th Jan 2016
  • 1,564 Views, 151 Comments

What Lies Within - KidatHeart5



When all of Equestria is in peril, it's up to six royals to set things right. Along the way, they learn shocking secrets and must face powerful enemies.

  • ...
1
 151
 1,564

Legends

Author's Note:

Well, readers, you asked for it, you got it. Here is the latest chapter of the story!

Even though the royals were in the closed cave, their muffled voices could still be heard outside.

Spike asked, “Do you think Belladonna’s gone?”

A whirring could be heard before Discord said, “Yep. There’s no trace of her whatsoever.”

Sunset warned, “Then you might want to step back.” A moment’s pause before she continued, “Okay, ready? One…two….three!”

At “three”, Sunset sent most of the stones flying with just one kick. Fortunately, the few left at the cave entrance didn’t impede the royals.

Discord exited the cave while clapping. He praised, “Bravo, Ms. Shimmer. You really outdid yourself.”

Apple Jewel cried, “That was amazing!”

Screwball told the Yeti monster, “Well, Snowbutt McTwinkles, I guess this is goodbye.” When the creature lowed in sorrow, Screwy added, “Don’t worry. I’ll come back to see you as often as I can. You’ll see.” She giggled when Snowbutt licked her.


The royals then trekked the cold for half an hour.

Apple Jewel shivered, “Brr! How long till we get there?”

Discord answered, “We’ll get there when we get there.”

Sunset asked, “Discord, are you sure we’re not lost?”

“Of course we’re not lost!” He then placed his claw above his eyes and scanned the horizon. “It’s just a little too dark to see anything.”

Spike retorted, “’A little’? ‘A little’?! Look at the moon! It’s being covered by a shadow!”

The royals all looked up to see the shadow of the Umbrum symbol on the moon. It had reached three-quarters of the way up.

Snow Pea fretted, “We’re running out of time. We’re running out of time.”

Sunset reassured her, “Don’t worry, Snow Pea. We’re going to fix this up in no time.”

Just then, they heard a rumbling in the distance. After a few moments, they saw a white cloud heading towards them.

Snow Pea cried, “Oh, no! It’s the Windigos!”

Sunset told her, “Stay behind me, kiddo.”

When the white cloud drew closer, silhouettes began to emerge. It took a while for the royals to recognize them as yaks!

Discord threw his arms out and said gleefully, “Finally! The cavalry has…” When he saw that the yaks were carrying spears, he trailed off, “…arrived?” The armored yaks then circled the royals and pointed their spears at them. Discord said, “Oh, come on! This is the second time we’ve been surrounded by guards!”

Sunset explained to the yaks, “We mean you no harm. We come to you in peace.”

Just then, two yaks stood aside while a yak with layered fur of tangelo hues and gold trimmings stepped forward.

The yak then said, “Me Prince Rutherford. Who you strangers be?”

Sunset replied, “We are the Canterlot Royals. The sleeping curse did not affect us.”

Rutherford then scoffed, “Then why you wear Earth Bracelets? No one allowed to wear them!”

“Please, let us explain! We didn’t know what they were until the curse hit!”

“How we know you not lying?”

Snow Pea then burst forward and said, “Because she’s telling the truth!”

The yaks gasped when they saw Snow Pea.

Discord whispered to Snow Pea, “Snowy, what did you do?”

Rutherford then exclaimed, “Little filly…She snow princess! She one prophesied by Olaf the Great!” He ordered two of the guards, “Quick! Bring silver chair of high honor!”

As soon as the guards rushed back to Yakyakistan, Snow Pea asked, “But what about my family? Can they come with me?”

Rutherford chuckled, “Of course! Friend of snow princess is friend of ours!”

Just then, the guards came back with a silver chair bobbing between them. The chair with purple cushions had two rods on either side attached to the backs of the guards.

Prince Rutherford lifted Snowy onto the chair and told the guards, “Take her and family to Yakyakistan! We celebrate arrival!”

Discord then asked the prince, “Say, princey-boy, I don’t suppose you could give me an elegant seat like that, could you?” When Rutherford snorted menacingly at him, Discord tittered nervously, “Eh-heh-heh. Never mind.”

When the royals arrived at the gates, there was a whole crowd of yaks cheering inside the walls of the kingdom. They were all shouting, “Behold, snow princess! She comes! Snow princess here! The prophecy come true!”

Discord remarked, “Well, this is quite the welcoming party.”

Rutherford then told the royals, “Come. You meet Olaf the Great. He foretold prophecy.”

Snow Pea then asked, “Er, excuse me. If it’s not too much trouble, I would like to get down and walk, please.”

“But of course, snow princess.” He gestured to the yaks carrying the chair, “Guards, down!”

When the guards knelt on the ground, Sunset used her magic to lift Snowy out of the chair. She then asked Rutherford, “Do you think Olaf the Great would know something about the Earth Bracelets?”

“Yes. He there when bracelets made.”

Suddenly, a sentry cried from his lookout post, “Second wave! Second wave!”

Rutherford told the royals, “Hide! Umbrum make second wave!” When he noticed that the chair was still attached to the guards, he ordered, “Get rid of chair!” When a yak removed the chair from the guards’ backs, the guards blushed and sheepishly tiptoed away.

Several yaks huddled around the royals in hopes of keeping them out of sight. Just then, they heard the moaning and growling of the Umbrum passing outside the kingdom walls. Some of the Umbrum rose above the walls and then dipped behind the walls again. Luckily, not one shadow pony caught sight of the royals. After the danger had passed, the yaks withdrew from the royals.

Discord gasped from holding his breath, “For goodness sakes! Would it kill you to take a bath once in a while?”

Rutherford snorted threateningly, “One more remark and we throw you out in snow!”

Snow Pea pleaded, “Please forgive him. He usually says stuff like that, but he’s my uncle. Please don’t throw him out.”

Rutherford’s heart softened and he said, “As you wish, snow princess. Now, come. Let us meet wise elder Olaf.” Rutherford then led the royals to a lodge and parted the curtains in the doorway. “Great and wise Olaf, snow princess here with royals from Canterlot. She says they family.”

Olaf was a scraggly yak with white-and-gray fur. He looked more elderly than any of the other yaks. He also wore regalia suited for shamans and some gold jewelry on his horns and beard. Olaf walked slowly towards them and said, “A pleasure to meet you, Your Highnesses.” He then put his hoof under Snow Pea’s chin and inspected her. After he was done, he smiled, “Yes, I do believe that she is the one.”

Snowy asked, “’The one’? The one what?”

Olaf explained, “The snow princess destined to defeat the dark forces once and for all.”

Spike said, “The dark forces?”

“Why, the Windigos and the Umbrum, of course.”

Sunset said, “But Star Swirl defeated them a long time ago.”

Olaf said, “Ah, but the Umbrum are still lurking about, aren’t they? Star Swirl only weakened the dark forces, but they haven’t been purged from this world yet. Only the snow princess can do that.”

Screwball said, “Why does everyone keep saying that Snow Pea is a snow princess? I mean, I get the snow and ice powers and that she got them from the Windigos…”

Olaf remarked, “Exactly. She got her powers from the Windigos. She has a link to those foul beasts.”

Discord asked, “How exactly is that helpful?”

The wise yak said, “Because her magic carries a trace of them, she would know their weak spots. The Umbrum are close relatives of the Windigos, so Snow Pea might have an advantage over them. I also sense a good and kind heart in the young filly. If she maintains her innocence and never loses her way, she can rid the world of those dangerous foes.”

Snow Pea was astounded by what she was hearing. She said, “I…I can?”

The wise elder yak told her, “Yes, young one. You have the power to do so. But there is a prophecy that follows.” He gathered various powders from his pots and threw them into the fire. As he added the last powder, a plume of colored smoke puffed up from the fire.

He continued, “You, young princess, have light and goodness in your heart.” As he said that, some of the smoke formed to create the shape of a unicorn pony and the light heart shape in its chest. When five spikes appeared on the smoke pony’s head, Olaf continued, “Use the Fire Tiara to strengthen that goodness to get rid of the Umbrum.” The smoke pony then blasted its horn at smoky outlines of the Umbrum.

Olaf then said, “But your mission will be far from complete. When you become of age, the Windigos will take you from your home.” Snow Pea gasped at the smoky depiction of the Windigos taking the pony. “They will force you to become their queen and bring destruction to all Equestria. It will not be so easy to defeat the Windigos, however. Your powers came from them, and so that same magic will be passed down from generation to generation.”

Snow Pea said in a panicked tone, “But I can’t destroy my home and the homes of other ponies! Please, is there any way I can defeat the Windigos?”

Olaf answered, “There might be one way. In the darkest hour, you must strike your hoof three times and destroy time.”

Snow Pea gasped at that.

Discord put his hands on his hips and said, “Well, that’s very helpful.”

Olaf saw that Snowy was greatly distressed, so he comforted her, “But know this, little one. Not everything means what they say. Sometimes, prophecies can be cryptic, meaning they can say one thing and yet mean another. What you might be thinking might not be what will happen.”

Snow Pea, not knowing what to think, ran outside the lodge.


Meanwhile, in the Umbrum world, Rabia appeared before Belladonna and Nightmare Moon.

She told them, “The Umbrum scouts have returned, Your Majesties. They report a strange snowstorm heading in our direction.”

Belladonna asked, “Strange? How strange is it?”

“They heard whinnying inside that storm.”

Nightmare Moon realized, “The Windigos! They must sense that Princess Snow Pea is nearby!”

The Umbrum princess asked, “But how is that possible? The Fire Tiara practically repels the Windigos.”

NMM explained, “A long time ago, the Windigos gave the young princess snow powers. Their signature is in her magic.”

Belladonna put a hoof to her chin and smiled wickedly, “Well, well, well. This certainly is an interesting development. Tell me – what does she do with her powers?”

“She is afraid to even use them. She thinks she will harm everypony around her by using her magic.”

Belladonna chuckled evilly, “And so she shall.” She then ordered, “Nightmare Moon, follow the Windigos to Princess Snow Pea. When you find her, report back to me and take an army of Umbrum with you to capture her.”

Nightmare Moon nodded, “It shall be done, Your Highness.” She then flew off to follow the Windigos.

Just then, the sirens appeared. Aria Blaze asked, “So that’s it? We’re just going to sit here and wait?”

Belladonna answered coolly, “Trust me, Aria Blaze. The Reign of Darkness is drawing near.” She then began to sing, “I know that your powers of retention…are as wet as a warthog’s backside…but thick as you are…Pay attention! My words are a matter of pride…It’s clear from your vacant expressions…the lights are not all on upstairs…but we’re talking queens and successions…Even you can’t be caught unawares…

“So prepare for the chance of a lifetime…Be prepared for sensational news…A darkly new era is tiptoeing nearer…”

Aria then sang, “And where do we feature?”

Belladonna sang, “Just listen to teacher…I know it sounds sordid, but you’ll be rewarded…when at last I am given my dues…and injustice deliciously squared…Be prepared!”

Sonata cheered, “Yeah! We’ll be prepared!” She then asked, “For what?”

Belladonna answered, “For the Reign of Darkness!”

“Oh, yay!”

“But first, we need to have Snow Pea on our side. And Sunset, too.”

“Oh! And then we’ll have three princesses on our side.”

“Ahem! You’re forgetting me, but I’ll be a queen instead of a princess.”

Adagio Dazzle said, “I like the sound of that. Queen Belladonna.”

Sonata cheered, “Long live the queen!”

The other Umbrum joined in by chanting, “Long live the queen! Long live the queen!” They then sang, “Queen, queen, queen, queen, queen, queen, queen…It’s great that we’ll soon be connected…with a queen who’ll be all-time abhorred…”

Belladonna sang, “Of course, quid pro quo, you’re expected…to take certain duties on board…The future is littered with prizes…and though I’m the main addressee…the point that I must emphasize is…you won’t get a sniff without me!

“So prepare for the coup of the century! Be prepared for the murkiest scam! Meticulous planning…Tenacity spanning...Decades of denial…is simply why I’ll be queen undisputed, respected, saluted, and seen for the wonder I am…Yes, my teeth and ambitions are bared…Be prepared!”

The Umbrum and sirens all sang, “Yes, our teeth and ambitions are bared...”

Belladonna then sang with the sirens and the shadow ponies, “Be prepared!”