• Published 6th Jan 2016
  • 1,564 Views, 151 Comments

What Lies Within - KidatHeart5



When all of Equestria is in peril, it's up to six royals to set things right. Along the way, they learn shocking secrets and must face powerful enemies.

  • ...
1
 151
 1,564

Attack of the Dark Forces

Discord and Sunset found themselves in the deep, dark jungle.

Discord shuddered, “I don’t like the look of this place.”

Sunset told him, “We have to find Daring Do’s tent and make sure she’s all right.” Suddenly, they heard roaring and yowling. She said in a worried tone, “Or we could follow that sound and stop Ahuizotl before it’s too late!”

The twosome ran amidst the plants and the trees until they got to a clearing illuminated by the dim moonlight. They saw various jungle cats scouring the campsite and clawing at everything they touched.

Sunset and Discord were hiding in the bushes when a voice said, “Yes! Yes, my pretties! Search everywhere! We must find that map so we can annihilate the Rainbow-Eyed Ponies once and for all!”

“Not if we have anything to say about it!” a female voice shouted.

Ahuizotl’s head whipped back and he saw a strange creature with the bothersome pony who had helped Daring Do before. He growled, “You again?!”

Sunset said, “Yes, me again.”

Discord said to the mare, “Hey, you stole my line! I demand royalties!”

Ahuizotl asked in a confused manner, “Who is this?”

“Well, I happen to be Discord, Lord of Chaos and Prince of the Everfree Forest.”

Ahuizotl then taunted, “The Everfree Forest? I didn’t know they had creatures as strange as you.” He then laughed at this.

Discord, however, was less than amused. He said, “I believe you messed with the wrong draconequus.”

He snapped his finger and a giant anvil crushed Ahuizotl. Ahuizotl’s hand weakly emerged from the bottom of the anvil and pointed to the royals.

His muffled voice said, “Get…them…”

The cats then raced toward the twosome, but Discord pulled out a giant spray bottle.

He said as he squirted the bottle, “Bad kitties!”

Though it drove some of the cats away, others were running toward Sunset. She blasted at them with her magic. Unbeknownst to her, a tiger was sneaking up behind her.

Discord noticed this and shouted, “Sunset, behind you!”

Sunset gasped as she saw the tiger lunging at her. She was getting ready to run, but then her hooves and the bracelets began to glow. Before she registered anything, she ran off at super speed! A pattern resembling that of the streaks in her mane tailed her.

Discord and the cats were astonished by this before he remarked, “Wow, Sunset! I didn’t know you could do that!”

Sunset shouted as she ran back and forth the clearing and the surrounding trees, “DISCOOOORRD! MAKE THIS STOOOOPPP!!!”

“You have to pull the brakes yourself, Sunny! The bracelets are too powerful for me!”

Sunset mustered every bit of her strength to stop and skidded right into a pack of cats. She stayed standing while the cats flew into the air.

Discord said, “That was great, Sunny!” He then hinted with a sly look on his face, “Think you can do other things with the Earth Bracelets?”

Sunset got the message and nodded with a clever smile. She raised her front hooves and stomped them. The ground trembled as waves of jagged rocks emerged from the surface. The cats ran from the rows of rocks and into the jungle.

Ahuizotl growled, “Insolent fools! I’ve had enough of this mockery!” Just then, he saw something disturbing. He whimpered and then followed his henchcats into the brush.

Discord chortled, “Looks to me you’re only mocking yourself.”

Just then, a deep voice said behind Sunset and Discord, “And you only mock yourselves by claiming yourselves as the victors.”

The twosome froze and then looked behind them to see…the Umbrum!

Discord muttered, “Uh-oh.”

Sunset activated her horn, but the alpha of the Umbrum band snickered, “Foolish, unknowing, innocent unicorn, doing that will only make things worse. All we want are the bracelets…and the filly with the tiara.”

She shouted, “Never!”

Discord then came up with an idea. He put his paw and claw up in surrender and said calmly, “All right, fine. You can have the bracelets…”

He then picked Sunset up as she said, “Discord, what are you…?”

He then smirked devilishly, “…if you can catch her first.” He then whispered in her ear, “Run like hay.”

Discord said as he threw Sunset like a football, “GO LONG!”

Sunset screamed as she flew a long distance over the clearing and the trees that lined it. She fell into the brush and grabbed ahold of the vines so she could descend to the ground safely. When she touched the ground, she could hear the Umbrum closing in on her.

She thought to herself, Okay, Sunny. You need to harness control over the bracelets. Just concentrate…Concentrate…

Before she knew it, she was running at super speed again! This time, though, she was constantly running into plants and dodging trees.

She thought with regret as she lit up her horn, I’m sorry to do this, but this is an emergency.

Sunset blasted a ray of magic to clear the plants and trees in her way. She kept blasting her magic as if she was a bulldozer.

She thought, Oh, I can’t destroy the jungle. I need to find a clearing.

She then saw an area that was free of the jungle. Even though she knew that it would leave her out in the open, the jungle needed to be protected. She took a chance and raced out into the clearing. She used all of her strength to control the bracelets and skidded across the barren plain before completely stopping. She looked all around the rocky environment. With the night sky taking on a slight shade of green and the shadow on the moon becoming ever larger, she could hardly see the clearing surrounding her…or the Umbrum emerging from the brush.

Once again, Sunset stomped the ground and waves of rocks raced toward the Umbrum. Some were fazed by this, but many others still continued forward. Sunset sought to try another move. She thought quickly before coming up with something. She turned her backside to the Umbrum and kicked rocks at them at lightning speed! It worked for a while, but the Umbrum still advanced towards her.

Getting desperate, Sunset began running at super speed again. This time, she circled the Umbrum so fast that a cloud of dust surrounded the shadow ponies. The unicorn thought it was working until…

“ENOOUGHHH!”

Sunset was blasted onto the ground by the tremendous yell. She saw the Umbrum slowly moving towards her and was ready to accept her fate. Suddenly, a gas mask flashed onto her face. The Umbrum looked at each other in confusion and then saw a metallic ball rolling under them.

PA-WHOOF!

The light pink dust enveloped the Umbrum and the shadow ponies collapsed onto the ground. Sunset saw all of this and a familiar creature emerging from the dust.

Discord, who also had a gas mask on, said, “My special edition Dream Dust works every time. That should keep the troublesome buggers out of our way for a while.”

Sunset smiled behind her mask and said, “Thanks, Discord.”


After the sleeping Umbrum were tied up, Sunset encased them in a huge block of crystal. She then saw a shadow move over them and gaped when she looked up to see a giant pile of rocks!

“Discord, are you sure that’s necessary?”

Discord grunted as he held the rocks, “Trust me…dear Sunset…This…is for good…measure!” He then dumped the rocks on the crystal while Sunset stepped back. He wiped his forehead as he leaned against the rocks. He panted, “Whew! Why am I getting stuck with all the grunt work now?”

Just then, they heard a voice shouting, “Emergency! Emergency!”

Discord pulled out the hoofheld mirror and asked, “What’s the matter, Pip? Are there more Umbrum on the way?”

Pip answered, “No, but something far worse. Nightmare Moon is at the manor right now!”

Sunset and Discord gasped and said to each other, “Spike and the fillies!”

Discord said to Pip, “Thanks for the heads-up, Pip.” After he put the mirror away, he scowled, “Nopony harms my Screwy!”

He was about to teleport Sunset and himself before the unicorn cried, “Wait! What about the jungle? I used my magic to clear the way when I was super-running. Can you restore it?”

Discord asked, “Now why would you want to do that?” He then conjured up a map of the jungle, but with the damage Sunset left. “I think it could make a great work of art.”

“Discord…”

“Oh, fine. Whatever.”

He restored the jungle with a snap of his claw and then teleported both him and Sunset to the manor.


Snow Pea got a sudden chill throughout her body. She shivered, “Ooh!”

Apple Jewel asked, “What is it? Have the Umbrum come back?”

Screwball rubbed her ear and said, “Funny. I don’t hear them.”

Spike went out to check the window and gasped. He told the fillies, “Girls, get downstairs now.”

Snow Pea asked, “Is it the Umbrum?”

Spike shook his head, “No. It’s Nightmare Moon.” He then spoke to a mirror, “Pip, tell Discord and Sunset that Nightmare Moon’s here.”

Pip saluted, “Will do.” He then vanished.

Spike ushered the girls to the kitchen, “Get to the secret room, quickly!”

Meanwhile, Nightmare Moon hovered over the force field that surrounded the manor. She said with a wicked smile, “How quaint. A force field. Twilight’s magic may be strong, but it is not as strong as mine!” She then blasted a ray of magic at the force field and completely shattered it.

When the fillies heard that sound, they shrieked.

Spike breathed, “Oh, no…” He then told the girls, “It’s going to be okay, girls. I promise.” He then pulled down the stone pony’s head and the stairs appeared once again. He said, “Go, go, go!”

Nightmare Moon used her magic to slam open the door and stepped inside the manor. She said in a faux sweet tone, “Where are you, royals? Come out and play.”

She was surprised when she heard a male voice say, “Oh, we’ll play, all right. Play rough!”

She looked behind her and saw Discord and Sunset scowling at her.

Sunset warned her, “Don’t you dare harm the girls!”

Nightmare Moon put a hoof to her chest and said, “Oh, I wouldn’t dream of it. After all, I’m just after the bracelets you’re wearing and the tiara the little princess is wearing. Why don’t both you and the filly give yourselves up? Then no harm will come to you and yours.”

Discord scoffed, “That’s the biggest lie I’ve ever heard. I should know. I’ve made up more lies than that, but none were as big as that giant head of yours!”

Nightmare Moon took offense at that, but soon calmed down as soon as she thought of something. She suggested, “How about a duel, then?”

Both Sunset and Discord asked, “A duel?”

“Yes. Between the Lord of Chaos and yours truly. Animal transfiguration. We keep transforming until one bests the other. You win, I shall retreat back to the Frozen North. I win, I shall take both the mare and the filly.”

Discord knew from his own villainy and others’ that a deal with a villain was never honorable. Still, he couldn’t risk letting Nightmare Moon spirit away Sunset and Snow Pea.

He sighed, “You’ve got yourself a deal.”

Nightmare Moon smiled wickedly and then said, “Shall we step outside, then?”

Sunset followed the two magical beings down the steps as Spike and the fillies watched from the kitchen window. Nightmare Moon and Discord kept a considerable distance from one another and faced each other.

The dark alicorn told Discord, “Now shall you deal with me, Discord, and all the powers of darkness!”

Discord wagged his finger and said, “Au contraire, Nightmare Moon, it is me you shall deal with and all the powers of chaos!” He gave a sinister laugh for emphasis.

Sunset was not amused with this and told Discord bluntly, “That is a horrible evil laugh.”

Discord whispered to his sister-in-law, “It’s for emphasis, Sunset dear.” He turned to see that Nightmare Moon disappeared. He looked all around him as he asked, “Where did she go?”

Just then, a manticore jumped out from the forest and roared at him. Spike and the girls screamed, but Discord recognized the purple splotches on the creature’s behind.

Discord rolled his eyes and said, “Oh, come on, Moony. The manticore is old-school. Have you tried considering…” He then transformed into a mighty creature of enormous height. “…a dragon?” He then breathed fire at her, but she dodged it.

Spike commented, “Hey! I could have done that!”

She said in her sly voice, “A dragon is a creature of great strength, but bigger does not necessarily mean better.” She then transformed into a swarm of parasprites and circled around Discord’s head.

He swatted at them as he cried, “Go away! Pfft! Pfft! Off with you! Shoo, fly! Don’t bother me!”

He then began to shrink as he admitted, “Okay, okay! I surrender! No more! Please spare me! Uncle, uncle!”

Suddenly, the parasprites were blinded by a flash of light. When they regained their eyesight, they were sprayed by an odious stench. Discord, who had turned himself into a skunk, said, “Ha! Who has the upper hoof now?”

“I do!”

Discord looked back and gasped when he saw that Nightmare Moon had now turned into…a bear! He said as he ran, “I’m off!”

Nightmare Moon said as he chased him, “Come back, you dirty coward!”

Discord disappeared into the woods and emerged only seconds later as a lion! He roared at her, but it didn’t even faze the bear. They circled each other until Nightmare Moon lunged at Discord. He saw this as an opportunity to pounce on her back and clawed at her shoulders. Nightmare Moon stood upright as she clawed Discord.

He then thought, If I can’t use my brawn, I might as well use my brain!

He wrapped his arms over her eyes and said “Peek-a-boo!”

Nightmare Moon tried to claw them off as she stumbled, but Discord held on until she fell to the ground. Luckily, she fell face-first, thus allowing the Lord of Chaos to return to his normal form and pin her to the ground.

Discord smirked, “I think I got you beat.”

The bear grunted, “I disagree.” Her body then dissolved into blue mist.

Discord was confused and said, “Um, I don’t think that’s an ani-“

But before he could finish his sentence, the blue mist wrapped itself tightly around his eyes. He cried as he tried to loosen its grip on him, “What - Hey! Get – yourself – off – my – face!”

Suddenly, images flashed before his eyes. He realized that he was home in the Everfree Castle. He then saw his beloved daughter in front of him with her back turned.

He rushed to meet her and said, “Screwy? What are you doing here?”

Screwball saw him and screamed. It scared the living daylights out of Discord and he fell down in surprise.

He put his paw of his chest and said, “Geez, Screwy! Don’t ever do that again!”

Screwy ran down the hall with tears in her eyes and sobbed, “Help! There’s a monster after me!”

This shocked and disheartened Discord at the same time. He tried calling out to her, “Screwy, it’s me! It’s your daddy!”

Moments later, an angry Fluttershy emerged with a crying Screwball wrapped in her hooves. She scolded Discord, “Now look what you did! You made Screwball cry!”

Discord was stunned and saddened as he said, “But I…I didn’t do anything wrong.”

Fluttershy said in a nasty tone, “Oh, really? Then I suppose wreaking chaos all across Equestria doesn’t count?”

Discord breathed, “Wreaking chaos?”

“Look at yourself, Discord. You’re just a jumble of animal parts and nothing like the rest of us.” Discord could hardly believe what he was hearing. He fell to his knees as she continued, “You’re the Master of Chaos and that’s all you’ll ever be. You bring nothing but sorrow and confusion wherever you go. I never should have freed you from your stone prison in the first place!”

It broke Discord’s heart to hear that. Tears threatened to escape his eyes and he pulled on his ears and pleaded, “Please, Fluttershy! Please! Don’t say any more!”

“Oh. Let me shout it, then. WE NEVER LOVED YOU!” Fluttershy took her daughter down the hall and away from Discord.

Tears leaked out of his eyes and Discord begged in a whispery tone, “No. No! Fluttershy, don’t leave me! Take back everything you said! All of it! Flutters…Screwy…” He then collapsed into sobs as he continued, “…Please come back. Please!”

He was so lost in his despair that he almost didn’t hear a voice calling, “Discord! Discord, she’s trying to break you! Don’t let her!”

Discord sobbed, “I’m afraid she already has. She’s gone and it’s all my fault!”

“Discord! Nightmare Moon is trying to mess with you! You can defeat her!”

Just then, he heard another voice shouting, “Discord!”

This voice sounded closer to him, so he turned to see Celestia all glowing with rage.

Celestia said in an outraged tone, “You have troubled this family for the last time! Now you must face the consequences and be turned back to stone!”

Discord gasped and pleaded, “No, Celestia, please! I’m begging you! I can’t go back to being stone! Please don’t turn me back to stone!”

Suddenly, the mysterious voice called out again, “Discord, Nightmare Moon is doing this! She is making you experience your worst fears!”

It was at that moment Discord realized it. It wasn’t real. It was just an illusion. A frightening illusion.

Within seconds, all of the helplessness and despair Discord had felt earlier transformed into a burning rage and newfound courage. His eyes then glowed as Celestia activated her horn.

The alicorn said, “Good-bye, Discord.”

“Good-bye, Nightmare Moon!” He then shot eyebeams at the illusion of Celestia.

The mist screamed as it was shot back by Discord’s eyebeams. The blue smoke then transformed back into Nightmare Moon, who flew in midair.

Discord, now entirely angry, shouted, “That’s it! All bets are off!”

He shot a ray of yellow magic from both of his hands while Nightmare Moon countered it with her magic. Both rays of magic pushed at one another and drew closer to the other user for a bit. It was a stalemate until…

SPLAT!

Nightmare Moon lost concentration when she got hit by a crème pie. When she wiped the cream from her eyes, she demanded, “WHO THREW THE-?!”

But her sentence trailed off as she saw Discord with a box. He smirked, “Say good-night, Nightmare Moon.”

WHACK!


Discord put an unconscious Nightmare Moon in a catapult facing the north.

Sunset commended, “Well, I got to hand it to you. That glove-in-the-box was a smart move.”

Discord smirked at his daughter as he said, “Well, I wouldn’t have done it if Screwy hadn’t thrown that pie at her.”

Screwy raised her head proudly and said, “All for my daddy.”

Discord embraced his daughter and rubbed her head as he said, “Yes. I’m glad you did. When Nightmare Moon had me under her spell, I was convinced that I lost you and your mommy.”

Screwy asked with distress, “Were we…?”

Her father chuckled, “No, no. Nothing like that. But you two hated me. Well, your mother hated me and you were scared of me.”

Screwy hugged Discord tightly and said, “Oh, Daddy! I could never be scared of you!”

He stroked her mane and said, “I know, my little atrocity. I know.”

Spike interrupted, “Um…Aren’t we supposed to launch Nightmare Moon now?”

Discord scowled at Spike and said, “Hey, we’re trying to have a family moment here! Do you mind?”

After he nuzzled his daughter for a few more moments, he put her down and said, “There. Now we can get on to business.”

Apple Jewel said, “Wait! Aren’t we technically launching Aunt Luna?”

Discord said, “I’ll check.” He then pulled one of Nightmare Moon’s eyelids and called, “Yoo-hoo! Lulu! Come out, come out wherever you are!” He then shrugged, “Huh. She must be sleeping.”

Sunset asked dubiously, “How can you be sure?”

“Because if we try to imprison her and bring her with us…Yeah, I can see some pretty dire consequences here.”

Snow Pea said, “But maybe we can ask someone to help us.”

Sunset wrapped her hoof around her niece and said, “We’ll ask, Snowy. We’ll ask.”

Discord said as he reached for the lever, “Right, right. Now can we catapult Moony before anything else happens?”

Screwball said, “But…she will be safe, right? Because if she is Nightmare Moon, there’s still a bit of Luna in her, right?”

He grunted as he was pulling on the lever, “Well, yes, technically. But I’m sure Ol’ Lulu can take care of herself.” He added in a low voice, “Quite frankly, I’m not even sure how we can survive with Nightmare Moon on our tails.” He pushed the lever down and said, “How far should it be?”

Sunset motioned her hoof down as she said, “Maybe a little more down.”

“All right.” Once he pushed the lever lower, he put his lizard leg on the pedal and said, “One…two…three!” With a stomp of his foot, Nightmare Moon went flying into the air until she was out of sight. “Phew! Thank goodness we don’t have to worry about that skunk stench anymore.”

They all laughed at that.

Author's Note:

Bonus! CartoonNerd12 suggested the dialogue amongst the royals when they're about to catapult Nightmare Moon. If the duel between Discord and Nightmare Moon is familiar, that's because I took inspiration from the wizard duel in The Sword in the Stone.