• Published 7th Dec 2015
  • 3,999 Views, 97 Comments

The Southern Expedition - Ponelover



The Charles de Gaulle is deployed to the Guiana Passage, their discoveries will shock Equestria to it's core

  • ...
4
 97
 3,999

3rd July, 2018 (Part 2)

Just outside the Southern City, 8:00PM, 3 years after event

He could hear it even from here and that was not a good sign, General Hard Shell expected this battle should last only a couple of hours, it certainly looked like it when his forces overrun the entrenched humans using…..whatever these things are to fire back at them but when his forces reached the Southern City everything just stopped.

And by stopped he meant that Alicorn forces couldn’t advance an inch into the city before being bombarded by human weapons. His first wave into the city was a disaster and his second wave into the city was even more of a disaster. I need some sort of a breakthrough in this city or else the liberation will be postponed once more, I don’t think Nes will like that very much.

“Report!!!” shouted a pegasus which startled the currently busy general.
“Yes? What is it?”
“Elements of your forces have broken through sir, they are now entering the eastern suburbs. The commander in charge of the operations has requested more reinforcements sir!!”
“If this is all true then he shall get them. Send in Unit 435 into the fray”
“Uhh sir? Is it wise to send in such a valued unit into the city? If the two incursions have been any indi-”

The pegasus was immediately silenced by the general, his hoof pressing into her mouth as he stared into the now frightened pegasus messenger’s face.
“First of all, please don’t question orders, that’s very bad decorum. Secondly, yes I know that the last two incursions have been nothing but failures, but note that I’m sending essentially normal troops to test the waters so to speak. Now with a breakthrough imminent I’m sending in Unit 435. Is that understood?”
“Y-yes sir!” responded the pegasus as she flew away from the general’s camp, message in tow to inform Unit 435 of their latest mission.

Eastern suburbs, 8:30PM, 3 years after event

“So is this the human?” Commander Stone Heart asked as Alicorn guards dragged the only captured human prisoner into his presence.
“Yes sir, we captured him fighting us when we moved into the suburbs, the other troops have fled”
“Good then, put him into the main basecamp with the general, we need to move ahead even more, push our advantage.” As the commander stared into the eyes of the French soldier, only to see someone who’ve lost all hope. Serves him right, no one would dare fight us once they know what we’re truly capable of.
“Yes sir!” responded the Alicorn guards as they transferred the French soldier for containment.

******

“So what are we doing again?” Soarin asked as they patrol the now empty skies over the Southern City. The battle for the sky over the Southern City has rather died down with only isolated engagements between French fighters and Alicornian Air Guards, both forces have pulled back with the French planes returning to their carriers and Air Force Bases to repair and rotate pilots and the Alicorns returning to their camps to rest and recuperate. Knowing this, Princess Celestia had ordered both Soarin and the rest of his team to take off immediately. Not telling why they’re taking off now with the battle being now redirected to Stalingrad-esque engagements in the city.

“I don’t know Soarin but the Princess must have some really good reason to drag us out here, the city’s miles away from here so it must be something confidential”
“Well it’s not confidential anymore Spitfire” Celestia responded, to the shocked faces of both Spitfire and Soarin.
“P-princess? How did you hear our conver-”
“I have my ways Spitfire, now I do understand your concerns about this but this is coming straight from French High Command. They are planning to strike the enemy when they are most vulnerable”
“And how are we part of this plan Princess? We’re nowhere near the actual battle” Fleetfoot responded.
“Oh simple, we are the ones that’s going to rescue our ‘captured’ French soldier, right over…..there” said Celestia as she pointed her hoof towards what looks like the main campsite for the Alicornian forces.
“Huh…..wait, how did you know the enemy’s main position Princess?”
“Simple My Little Pony, inside that camp must be a captured French soldier. That soldier must also have a transponder that tracks his location wherever he goes….and apparently the enemy has taken one of them into their camp.” Celestia responded, looking into the Camp with fiery intent. “Let’s not keep them waiting, ready your solar lances Wonderbolts! We charge now!!” Celestia roared as she and her Wonderbolts took off from the clouds, lances and swords ready to strike at the enemy’s basecamp.
“Remember, we are heavily outnumbered, just strike in, extract the soldier and get out. Is that understood?!?”
“Yes Princess!”
“Yes Princess!”
“Yes Princess!”

Alicorn Basecamp, 8:36PM, 3 years after event

Clockwork was a proud Alicorn. He always woke up precisely at 6:00AM, he always did his morning showers and breakfasts at 15 minutes flat and his military operations during his fights with the Imperial Alicorns always lasted 1-2 hours long. He was one of the most decorated soldiers in the resistance and once he heard Nes’s plans during that final battle, he was at first hesitant but his loyalty finally won out.

When the time has come to return, he was back to his usual self, waking at precisely 6:00AM, showering and eating at only 15 minutes flat and put on his work uniform to join in the reconquest of the continent once he was called into action.

So why is he now doing nothing? Just standing guard being part of the lookout team while his fellow comrades are now attacking the Imperials’s new allies in the battle to reclaim the Sothern City. “This is a bit….unfair” he muttered as he lazily stood guard, he did notice the captured human soldier though. That was a bit interesting, a species without magic that can resist the Alicorns for this long…….what kind of machinations must they conjure up for their fire lances to work like that? The reports seem a bit….outlandish.

His train of thought was cut short though when he noticed a beam of pure solar magic coming straight to him. Acting like clockwork, he casts his own shield spell and was thrown off his guard tower. There is only one Alicorn that can conjure up such a potent beam spell…….is Celestia here to rescue that soldier? thought Clockwork as he saw the Princess herself and her...pony escorts attacking the campsite.

“Well, at least it wasn’t boring for long” muttered Clockwork as he strapped on his gear, gathered his wits, and took off to defend the campsite from the ongoing attack.

Princess Celestia International Airport, 9:00PM, 3 years after event

“Good….evening I guess Mr Laurent, and welcome to Canterlot” said Julien as the terminal doors opened to reveal the French Foreign Minister himself accompanied by his escorts. The fact that Celestia’s and Luna’s mother is real and very much alive has put his office into a frenzy, this new entity has to be contacted in person immediately and the fact that Canterlot’s International Airport is not finished does not stop her jet from landing, despite numerous protests from workers and staff. He has deemed that a simple skype call wouldn't cut it and scheduled a crash flight to Canterlot, this is too important an issue to address from Paris alone.

Yes, Good evening to you too Julien, I trust that you still have Harmony in the embassy?”
“Well of course Mr Laurent, she has opted to stay with us for the night at least”
“Have you informed her of my visit?”
“Of course, I trust that the Skype call went on swimmingly on your side?”
“More than swimmingly, my office has been abuzz with activity now. Now I have to deal with Luna’s mother of all creatures” sighed the Foreign Minister as she and Julien approached the black Citroen and entered the car, “Canterlot Castle please” said Julien as Police Motorbikes drove off first followed by the Black Citroen as the convoy plowed through the now Empty Canterlot streets.
“Things have been hectic in France Julien, after the attacks the DGSE went crazy with all their stuff, I was recently questioned rather thoroughly by a DGSE agent. Fucking terrorists”
“It’s that bad huh”
“Yeah it’s that bad, can’t believe those terrorist assholes still managed to penetrate through Paris of all cities. How can the DGSE be that incompetent, anyway how’s Harmony doing?”
“I’ve had dinner with her before coming to get you, she’s pleasant enough I guess”
“I’m not surprised, Celestia and Luna must have learned their tact from her.”

******

The ride itself was rather uneventful, the Foreign Minister watching the empty cobblestone streets of Canterlot pass by, occasionally commenting about the fact that a Motorcade is somehow riding through the streets of a castle town. It’s almost unnervingly quiet until they reach the gates of Canterlot castle.
“Show us your ID please” said a Unicorn guardsmen, taking the preferred ID's and checking them before giving them back, “He’s safe, open the gates” he said into his radio and the big iron gates guarding Canterlot Castle slowly opened, allowing the French motorcade in.
“Looks like those radios we supplied have been used well” said the Foreign Minister as they finally enter the castle interior. Both of them got out as quickly as they can and rush towards the French Embassy located inside the castle.

“Our embassy staff have been very busy as well, coordinating with local Canterlot authorities, Princess Luna and even Harmony herself to make this meeting a reality, I don’t know about you but I’m stumped” said Julien.
“You should’ve seen Paris then” Laurent responded nonchalantly as they enter the meeting room, greeted to the sight of both the Princess of the Night and her mother.
“We welcome Thee Laurent Fabius of France to Equestria!! We hope thou enjoy your stay at Canterlot” Luna greeted in her Canterlot voice.
“Now now Luna play nice, welcome to Canterlot. I am Harmony, mother of Luna and Celestia and…...future Queen of Equestria if my daughter is correct.”
Harmony let out a small chuckle before continuing. “Now before continuing I would like to note that I prefer to have this meeting as informal as possible, It would be better for all parties to speak their mind as clear as possible because we are going to be discussing many things concerning our race, your war and my status. So I would prefer for all of us to not sugarcoat things and speak with as clear language as possible.”
“If that is what your prefer than of course” responded the foreign minister as he sat down, preparing himself for the meeting.

“Now let’s begin” Princess Luna proclaimed as she and Harmony sat down as well. “Mr Fabius, I’m really sorry that you are not informed about the developments in Equestria as of recently, please understand that reuniting with my mother takes precedence over any other”
“That I can understand Princess, what concerns me is the amount of time you took with the family reunion, we understand the value of family but please do inform us about future events like this before it drags on for too long. 13 days is a bit too much for a family reunion isn’t it?”
“It would, but this is no normal family reunion isn’t it?” replied Harmony.
“Admittedly, but you do understand my point yes?”
“Of course Mr Fabius, I will see to it that a dragonfire candle is procured immediately”
“T-that won’t be necessary mother” Luna responded awkwardly, “We can establish a direct telephone line between Paris and Canterlot if need be, no need for Dragonfire heh heh”
“Oh? Do pray tell what a ‘telephone’ is, from my knowledge it allows you to talk with other people over long distances yes?”
“Well...yes….is that a problem?” asked the foreign minister
“No of course not, silly old me and my silly old solutions” Harmony chuckled nervously as the meeting continues.

******

“So….it appears that our old enemies have returned” said Harmony as she saw the images of French soldiers fighting off an Alicorn attack and the containment cell containing the only known hostile Alicorn. “I’m surprised that Luna didn’t inform me of this, do you have an explanation my daughter?” she said as she tilted her head to the night princess, gazing Luna with a calm but strict demeanor.

“Of course, I’m too busy fitting my new role as ruler of Equestria and bonding with you mother…..I understand that is not the best of excuses but c’mon mom give me some slack!” whined Luna only to meet a chuckling Harmony.
“Luna Luna Luna, always the more silly daughter of the two” Harmony jokingly said.
“Ehem, anyway. The latest reports says that Celestia and the rest of the French Army is engaging the enemy at ‘The Southern City’ as we call it. Fighting’s been fierce and so far we have received no updates, but I assure you this will end in a French victory”
“So I’ve heard” Harmony replied as she scans the paper laid out in front of her, “You have another carrier battlegroup en route yes?”
“That is correct, they should arrive by tomorrow”
“From what I’ve heard of those things, they should wipe out what remains of the enemy. Those things are too powerful” Harmony shaked her head at that very thought, she didn't believe everything about those battlegroups when she first heard it from Luna.
“So anyway, do you have anything to discuss anymore? We’ve discussed trading, foreign policy, the war, your family and taxation…..somehow” said Mr Fabius as he neatly organized the reams of paper she used to discuss with the Princess and her mother.
“Oh nothing else from what I recall, did I miss anything my daughter” Harmony asked Luna, only to meet a shaking head as a response. “Then I guess this wraps up the meeting then, Luna could you guide our guest to her chambers”
“Of course mother, Mr Fabius, please follow me to your chambers” Luna said as the group departs from the meeting room.

******

“Hey, um Princess?”
“Yes what is it Fabius?” Luna responded as both of them walked through the empty halls of Canterlot castle, the Princess could see her night guards patroling the castle as night falls upon Canterlot.
“I never thought I’d say this, but why does your mother look totally different from you? If the records from the Canterlot archive says anything, your mother should look more like Celestia”
“Oh, that…..well let’s just say that the testimony Daring gave to us indicated that mother…….somehow rose from the tree”
“Wait, so you’re saying that your mother came from the Tree of Harmony? Sonar readings from the expedition team does indicate something resembling a casket at the base of the tree, but I never thought it would be your mother”
“We do keep our own secrets Mr Fabius.” Luna responded as they walk through Canterlot castle, as they near the guest chambers something clicked on the Princess’s mind, “Oh! I almost forgot!!! Tomorrow should be the day Harmony will visit Ponyville and talk with the Element Bearers, I know this is a late invitation but do you want to come? The trip will be mostly informal with Harmony speaking to them in pony”
“Not interested Luna, that is a mostly internal Equestrian affair, I’ll probably BS my way through this one” she responded which is met with a hearthy laugh from Luna.
“Knowing you, I think you can nonesense your way into anything. The French Foreign Ministry may be anything. But absolute honesty is not one of them.”
“Now you’re talking, we’re professional bullshiters. That is an accepted fact” responded the foreign minister as they reached the guest bedroom. “This should comfortably accomodate you til tomorrow, I’ll see you in the morning” said Luna as the doors are opened, revealing a rather lavishly furnished room fit for nobility.
“Of course, see you later Luna” se said as he enters the room, eager to sleep after such a late and unexpected meeting.

Daring Do’s Mansion, 11:00PM, 3 years after event

“I’m home” said Julien as he opened the huge doors and entered the mansion.
“Heh, and I thought I was gonna see you at 12.”
“Oh c’mon Daring give me a break, your ‘little’ discovery in the Everfree Forest has given me and Paris one hell of a headache”
“Isn’t that what I do all the time Julien?” Daring jokingly responded as she took off and hovered alongside the tired French ambassador.
“To your enemies maybe, but sure as hell not to your allies” Julien responded tiringly as he opened the door to their bedroom.

Things have gotten off for the unlikely couple recently. Julien and Daring have become one of the very few interspecies couples in human history. It all started when Daring invited Julien into Pony Joe’s to talk about ‘some’ things and it all snowballed from there, they have had their ups and downs in their relatively short relationship but things are looking rather well for the new couple. They recently even started binge watching Netflix together, sharing wine and all other ‘romantic’ stuff they could think off. Of course the main issue of the day is child rearing but Daring and Julien both secretly hoped French technology and Equestrian magic would allow them to do just that. At least that’s what I hope thought the ambassador as he undressed and went to sleep immediately, not caring about whether or not he took the whole bed for himself. Much to the now disgruntled Daring Do.

“Yeah, you’re tired” Daring muttered as she yawns and sleeps on top of the now snoring body of Julien Thomas.

A couple of kilometers east of the Southern City, 12:00AM, 3 years after event

“So, is it time?”
“Almost, we need to wait for command to issue the order. Been planning to drive ol' Sally here myself”
“Cav 2, please I beg you, stop it with your weird love obssession of your tank, it’s almost creepy”
“Cav 4 Cav 2 stop it” Cav 1 ordered, “You’re acting like immature brats and immature brats are not welcome in my platoon”
“Yes Sir!!” they both responded.

They and the rest of the 1st-11th Cuirassier regiment has been put on standby ever since the start of the battle. From what he heard, command is planning to pull off some sort of a flanking offensive spearheaded by the tanks of the 1st-11th to relieve the forces battling the Alicorns inside the city. So far they haven’t done anything though, so he’s not sure if the battle for the city is lost or-

“This is command to the 1st-11th, we are starting the artillery bombardment now, wait for 15 minutes until the dust settles then advance to sweep up the rest.”
Oh so now they’re doing it. This is going to be fun the commander of Cav platoon thought as he relayed command’s orders to the rest of his platoon.
“You got your orders, just wait 15 minutes and we can move out”
“Yes Sir!!” responded the rest of his platoon.

******

He could hear it, the constant thumping sound as the Ceasar mobile Howitzers unloads their payload of 155mm rounds into the attacking alicorns, he ordered one of his platoon members to scout the area and the result was…..not pretty to say the least. It’s almost 15 minutes now he thought as the constant thumping slows down to a trickle, eventually stopping at the mark.
“Command to the 1st-11th, you’re cleared to advance, I repeat you’re cleared to advance”
“This is Cav platoon, moving out”
“This is Spear platoon, moving out”
“This is Lance platoon, moving out”
“This is Death platoon, moving out”
“Driver! Full speed ahead! The rest of you move out as well” Cav 1 ordered as his tank hummed to life and started moving. This is going to be fun the Commander thought as they make their way to attack whatever remains of the Alicorns from that artillery barrage.

******

Captain Piercing Spear could not have a worse day than this. The battle started badly enough for his forces when he advanced into the city that night, turns out these humans lay down trap after trap in those damn neighborhoods. He saw his forces peppered with what he assumed was light beams, fire lances and even getting to meet the multiple of metal beasts these humans have in store for them. Now admittedly those beasts are not very strong and he and the rest of his forces managed to pull through despite the casualties. He even called in for more reinforcements to be sent.

But all the hope for victory turns to ash as he sees his reinforcements being bombarded by long range French artillery. How could these humans invent such earth shaking cannons? Judging from the sound of those rounds they must fire it from a very long range, how?!? the Captain contemplated as he and the rest of his forces are starting to pull back from that deathtrap of a city, he even heard that Celestia herself is attacking the main Alicorn basecamp in search of a human prisoner of war. Thank the stars that she has left though, only the ancestors would know what the Sun Princess would do if she was left there to her own devices.

“C’mon ponies, we need to move. We need to form a defensive line at the basecamp to even stand a chance of succeding” he ordered his soldiers as they trudged on away from the city’s suburbs and into the open plains. He already ordered some of his alicorns and pegasi to scout for any potential trouble and put them to rest so he should be alright.

Or at least that’s what he thought when he saw a pegasus scout from a nearby regiment reaching his position.
“State your business here scout” he said as he and the rest of his troops move on.
“Of course! Captain, we need to move even faster. The general has ordered a general retreat”
“I know that scout but why do we need to go faster, those humans must be preoccupied with spoiling attacks from the regiments ordered to delay yes?”
“Yes...they should. But the humans are now advancing once again, not from the city but from the east.”
“THE EAST?!?” the Captain shouted, admittedly the eastern flank is not secured as of yet but he never thought that any competent Alicorn scout could not see the humans putting their armored beasts there.
“What happened to the scouts sent east? What happened to them?”
“I tried to get as close as I could Captain, I can’t say for sure but I will say that the humans must have shot down or concealed themselves from the scouts sent there.”
“Damn these humans, you there and you! Take to the skies and order the ponies I sent to scout to pull back to base immediately. This could be a disaster in the making and I don’t want to take part of it no more.”
“Yes sir!” as they both opened their wings and flew.
“The rest of you, take anypony who is not capable of flight and just run to the base, we need to regroup as fast as we can!!”
“And you there” as the Captain pointed his hoof to the pegasi scout. “Order the rest of the forces stationed to spoil and delay to pull back immediately!!! They could be unknowingly led to a-”
“They’re here!!!” somepony said.
“What do you mean they’re here?” the Captain shouted as he saw a hoof pointing towards the tundra.

Sure enough, he could see those French metal monsters rolling their treads into their position, “Move move move!!!” he ordered as his regiment to immediately pull back into the base. Silently hoping that the rest of the forces stationed near the city or pulling back does the same.

Author's Note:

Fresh off the frying pan.

Hope you enjoy it