• Published 7th Dec 2015
  • 3,999 Views, 97 Comments

The Southern Expedition - Ponelover



The Charles de Gaulle is deployed to the Guiana Passage, their discoveries will shock Equestria to it's core

  • ...
4
 97
 3,999

Prelude 3

Castle of the Sun and the Stars, 12:30AM

“Search all castle doors and chambers!! We need to find my mother right away. I fear the worst might have happen to her” Celestia ordered as her guards moved at a rapid pace, opening up chambers, ransacking rooms and trying their best to find where Celestia’s mother might be located. Of course she knew that her mother is located at her chambers in which the ritual is being conducted but it’s still good practice for the guards to be vigilant for any possible threats. Let’s hope we don’t find anything out of the usual, I don’t want her ritual to be interrupted.

“Milady, we have found no signs of your mother. Requesting permission to go to the chambers?”
“That permission is granted Burstfire, storm the chambers and secure the area. Do NOT interrupt whatever my mother is doing, I’ll be with you in a couple of minutes”
“Understood milady. Solar guards, move!!!” The Captain ordered as the rest of Celestia’s escorts move in to her mother’s chambers. Now knowing that the coast is clear she contacted Luna over the mindlink.

Luna, you have succeeded in your assault yes?
Yes sister, the base is ours and we have executed anyone not willing to join our cause.
Good then, it won’t be long before the entire military district knows what we are doing here, gather your troops and move to mother’s castle immediately sister, I fear for your safety the longer we are separated.
If that is what you wish sister than it is done, I’ll be in the palace in 15 minutes time.
And with that the mindlink is terminated and Celestia sighs in relief, she knew that her sister would succeed but there are other military installations in the region other than the main base. Let’s pray that your journey is safe sister, this coup has been going as planned and...

BOOM

“Huh?” Celestia turns her head as she heard an explosion in the distance. An explosion coming from there must mean that…..oh no, oh no this is NOT good!!!.
Without even thinking, she extended her wings and flew as fast as she could to her mother’s throne room, she knew that an explosion in her mother’s throne room is definitely not good and as she flew, she could see that the dead solar guards could be an indication that something horribly bad had just happened right in front of her.

She knocked down the door, beam spell ready and armor tightened. But alas, what lies in front of her is something she could not believe. All of this planning and he…...he’s still alive?!?
“So….apparently my just rule is not really appreciated by even my own daughters. How low must you have stooped to plan my downfall huh Celestia?” King Galaxia asked the Sun Princess as she readied herself for the incoming fight.
“Where. Is. Solaria Father?!?” Celestia growled, nostrils flaring and her anger rising as her eyes suddenly glows bright yellow.
“Oh my wife? Don’t worry, I’ve taken care of her” he smirked as he stepped aside, letting Celestia see just what happened to her own mother.
“M...mother? Mother!!” Celestia screams as she launched herself at the king and beginning the final confrontation in the night of the long knives.

Near the Castle of the Sun and the Stars, 12:45 AM

Princess Luna could heard the explosion coming a mile away, the top half of the castle was instantly blown away immediately after that explosion and knowing that something’s gone wrong. The Princess immediately ordered Commander Steady Pace to secure the Castle while she hurried to her mother’s bedroom to see what happened.

“Mother? What just happe…...oh my stars.”
Luna’s eyes widened as she sees Solaria sprawling on her bed, scars marking throughout the Day Queen’s body, cuts everywhere and clear signs of magical draining visible. Luna immediately went to work, conjuring a recovery spell which healed her mother’s physical wounds while also giving her mother some of her magical reserves just so she could maintain her form. If I had come here just minutes later she would’ve died….

“Mother!! Just what happened to you? Is the ritual finished?” Luna asked concerningly, now knowing that the explosion is Celestia fighting against Galaxia.
“M-mostly Luna,” her mother replied in a hoarse voice, “you need to kill my husband to c-complete the coup…..for a-all of us.”
And with that Solaria fell out of consciousness as her magical overexertion took it’s toll. Luna knew that she would pass out simply due to exhaustion and prayed that nothing would go wrong by the time she and her sister land the finishing blow to her father.
“I will not let you down mother, live for the night” said Luna as she extended her wings and fly to help her sister.

5000 Feet off of Everfree City, 1:00AM

“C’mon Celestia” Galaxia taunted as he avoided another solar beam, “Is that all you can do with my immortality?”
“Do not taunt me father!!! Tyrants like you are not deserving of my pity!!” She replied as she fired another beam of pure solar magic which prompted the King of the Alicorn Empire to evade again.
“HA! Perhaps next time you can learn how to aim” he replied as the king conjured up a summoning spell, raining hundreds of magical swords into the Solar Princess through magical portals. “This is pointless!!! Just give up now and face trial Celestia!”
“I don’t think so father” came a voice behind him as Luna fired her magical beam, grazing her father just moments after he had evaded Celestia's own beam.

“You don’t understand now do you? I have brought peace and prosperity to an empire wracked by war and what do I get? Mutiny? Rebellion? Mark my words daughters of the Sun Queen, once I’ve killed you all I will track down these rebels myself and put this silly coup right where it belongs. In the footnote of history.”
Right after ending those words he summoned even more portals and magical swords torrented down on the two sisters like rain. Both Celestia and Luna evaded them with perfect coordination, as is expected for the daughters of the Sun Queen and the Star King, but the barrage of magical swords is far too much for both sisters to handle and their magical barriers are weakening with each strike from Galaxia’s nightreapers.
“We cannot hold on for too long Celestia!!!” Luna exclaimed as she conjured in a rune amplifier and fired her beam through the rune, resulting in a massive blast of Lunar magic piercing the magical swords in front of her, nearly hitting the Star King but just like before, Galaxia narrowly avoided Luna’s blast, prolonging the battle even more.
“Distract him Luna, bring the fight to the castle. We have the advantage over there!!!” Celestia ordered as she conjured in a sun rune, bringing in the flaming wrath of the Sun itself (or at least a part of it) into Galaxia’s general direction. It hit right on target but she could still see that his father is still up and running, wounded but still deadly.

Knowing that it is for the best, Luna directly tapped herself into the local ley lines and using a knife, cuts herself and conjured an enhanced blood magic bolt which hit the King right where she wanted to. Knowing her father and his predictable fit of rage. Luna fired again and flew off to distract her father. Flying closer and closer into the castle of the Sun and the Stars, let’s dance father. We’ll see who wins out once day arrives she thought as she evaded yet another blast of magical energy from Galaxia.

Celestia, grateful that Luna had buy her time, flew as fast as she could into the castle of the two sisters and reached the library in no time. “C’mon where is it?” She said as multiple books levitated from shelves and a farseer spell casted so Celestia could search for the spell she wanted. “It must be here somewhere…..aha!!! Found you” as a book is suddenly pulled from the air and into Celestia’s prying eyes.

“Stasis spells by Arcana Rudina, yes yes this will work. This will make the job much easier.”
And without any second thoughts she extended her wings and flew back to her parent’s castle, fully intent on stopping her father’s rampage.

Castle of the Sun and the Stars, 1:30 AM

“Ugh, can’t…..hold on…any longer”
“What’s wrong Luna? Too weak to fight me?” Galaxia boasted as another magical blast nearly hit the Night Princess. Luna knew that at this rate the battle will be over and secretly prayed that Celestia have something up her sleeve against Galaxia here.
“Darn it Celestia where are you!!!” Luna screamed as she casted another blood magic lance which her father dodged once again, much to Luna’s frustration.
“Tsk tsk Luna, you’re getting sloppy. Where is that ‘Military Discipline’ of yours huh?” Galaxia sarcastically asked as unknowingly, a portal opened above Luna’s back and the Night Princess was stabbed with a magical sword.
“Hrk!!”
“Such wasted potential. The Princess of the Night and deception couldn’t even evade one of my simplest tricks…...I’m disappointed Luna” Galaxia said as he stood triumphantly above Luna who was reeling from her injuries.

“You….will not succeed Tyrant!!!” Luna cried out, complete desperation have taken to her as she tried to get closer and land another blow.
“SUBMIT!!” Galaxia responded as Luna was hit by another magical sword on her back. Luna silently cursed that Celestia is taking her sweet time searching for an appropriate spell, she’s about to get knocked out and things are not looking good for her if that is true.
“Darn it, where are you Celestia?!?” Luna cried.
“Celestia isn’t here to save you Luna, now quietly pass out and I will ta-”
His monologue stopped.
Luna really wanted to know what happened, why did his monologue stopped? Did something happen.
Unfortunately the two magical blades impaled in her back had different opinions on the matter and Luna struggles forward to find out what happened.

“Celestia!!! Where are-”
“I’m here Luna, don’t worry about Galaxia anymore” a voice said in front of her as the magical blades are lifted off of Luna’s back. A flash later and she could feel her wounds being healed slowly but surely.
“Sorry for the wait Luna but I had to fly back to our castle. It was worth it though, if only you could see Galaxia’s face right now.”
“Heh, curse you Celestia. What took you so long” Luna inquired.
“Later sister, I need to end this ordeal once and for all” Celestia replied as her white hooves left Luna’s field of vision.

Celestia knew what she needed to do. She has her sword right in front of her and Arcana Rudina’s book in her pouch, the King is frozen in a triumphant pose, unknowing that he’s about to die.
“Hello there father, and as a final message to you. Forgive me for what I will do next” Celestia said as her horn commands her sword straight into the King’s heart.
“And just to make sure” as her horn lit up and the sword twists and turns, ensuring that Galaxia would not be alive by the time this ordeal is over.
“For all of us…..tyrant”

******

Galaxia, the king of the Alicorn Empire was dead, slain by his own two daughters in a vicious battle that lit up the skies and destroyed the Castle of the Sun and the Stars. His wife, Queen Solaria was immediately put into a coma after the events of the night of the long knives, Luna arriving just in time to save her life but was too late to stabilize her condition. Not wanting the population to panic at the sight of two dead monarchs, both her daughters arranged a faux funeral and using their newfound magic, raise both the sun and moon in honor of the Queen’s ‘passing’, starting the sister’s tradition of raising the sun and the moon on both dawn and dusk respectively.

Following her funeral, both sisters announced that due to an incident at the Castle of the Sun and the Stars. Both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna would take hold of the Alicornian throne.

Both sisters knew there would be an immediate civil war due to many Alicorn citizens questioning both Celestia’s and Luna’s rule and sure enough, 3 years into their rule a civil war that would destroy the Empire and bring in the age of chaos started. True Royalists against the Government fought on a scale reminiscent of the 1st Alicornian civil war with entire landscapes destroyed, changing the makeup of Equestria and the entire continent for millennia to come.