• Published 7th Dec 2015
  • 3,999 Views, 97 Comments

The Southern Expedition - Ponelover



The Charles de Gaulle is deployed to the Guiana Passage, their discoveries will shock Equestria to it's core

  • ...
4
 97
 3,999

6th June, 2018

Toulon Naval Base, 7:00AM, 3 years after event

Twilight Sparkle finally reached the docks as she paid the taxi driver and got out of the taxi. Paper money…..I never thought in my life that I would see paper money in circulation, and it makes economic sense too!!! Just..what? she thought as she finally reached the front gate of the naval base. When Princess Celestia summoned Twilight back into her castle 3 days ago, she informed her that she would be asisting the French in their efforts to track down the ‘Alicorn remnants’ as she would call it. At first Twilight was about to hyperventilate but that quickly subsided when Celestia told her to remember the breathing exercises they practiced when she was young.

After that though, everything was more or less a blur for Twilight, she was quickly forwarded to the French embassy where Ambassador Julien gave her all the necessary reports and told her that she’s going to live on a Carrier for sometime until they can reach the Kerguelen Islands safely. She was further told that when the Carrier battlegroup reached the Island, She would be asisting the French ‘from the back’ as she was told. Informing operatives about potential magical dangers their magical gauntlets can’t detect. The second day was essentially one long trip from the still in-construction Princess Celestia International Airport to Toulon. The interior of Princess Celestia International itself surprised Twilight due to it’s incorporation of everything ‘human’ in it’s design, futuristic looking terminals and snazzy looking lounges like one of those ‘Sci-Fi’ novels she’s been reading lately.

The third day was today, she just arrived in Toulon and was now walking to the front gate. “Halt!” a guard said as she quickly picked up a card from her saddlebag to show it in front of him. “Twilight Sparkle hmm? You’re clear to move in, de Gaulle is only a couple of meters away. You won’t miss it” the guard said as she silently walked into the naval base in the early hours of morning.

After a couple of minutes of walking she finally saw it, an incredibly huge warship with towers that looked like it could touch the sun. “It’s…..so…...huge” she silently muttered as she gawked at the size of the warship. Sure she has seen the French Carrier in her internet sessions during times when she was bored. But seeing it firsthoof has given her a sense of scale as the French carrier easily towered the entire base easily.

“Ah there you are” she heard a voice coming from the back and turned around to see a relatively old looking human
“My name’s Captain Jacques Rousseau, pleasure to meet you ma’am.” he stoicly said as he puts his hand out for a shake
“Oh yes, my name’s Twilight Sparkle. Personal student of Princess Celestia and I will be assisting you in investigating the whereabouts of the ancient Alicorn Empire.” she formally replied as she puts out her hoof as they both shake.
“That’s excellent then Twilight. I was told you will be asisting us in terms of magic yes?”
“Oh definitely, although it is a bit heartbreaking to assist from the basecamp on Kerguelen. Assisting from the back is better than not assisting at all I guess.”
“Don’t worry Twilight. The magical sciences has been one of the most active fields of science in France right now, making numerous discoveries in the last three years. It’s because of those wackos that we now can manipulate magic on the same level as a high level unicorn”
“Well….the student exchange program did contribute, but there’s still some tasks that require a unicorn’s finese. Anyway, could we continue this on the ship? I wouldnt want to delay your fleet leaving port.” Twilight concluded the conversation as the Captain finally nods and brought her into the ship.

Inside the ship she was taken to a couple of hallways until she finally reached a very tough looking door. The Captain then proceeded to swipe a ‘keycard’ into a ‘scanner’ (or so she was told) and the light of the scanner blipped from red to green as the Captain opened the door. Inside it was a rather spacious looking room with a relatively large bed, a separate toilet and a table where she can put her personal belongings. Being a Pony meant that she doesn’t need to bring clothes around, pretty convenient as well she thought as she puts her bags into her bed as the Captain briefs her.

“So now you have free time till 9AM dead, after 9AM immediately report to the boardroom because I’m going to discuss about the nature of this expedition to my officers. Until that though, enjoy your stay” the Captain said as he gave her the keys for her room and closed the doors.

“Okay then Twi..let’s do this” Twilight convinced herself as she pulls out an ancient magical book given to Twilight from Celestia. Read this while on your journey she remembered Celestia saying that when she was given this book before her departure to Toulon. As she finally managed to pull the book from the saddlebag, she saw the title cover. “Alicorn...spells” she quietly said as she opened the first page and was greeted with a magical rune for the cover. She quickly flipped to the second page and she saw what is clearly Celestia’s hoofwriting inscribed into the book

Dearest Twilight

This book was personally written by me after the events of our ascention as full fledged Alicorns. I have torn some of the pages out (don’t worry, I have many copies of this book) that were deemed unnecessary or too dangerous for you to read. This book will teach you about very, very powerful spells Twilight, so please keep a clear conscience and a cool head when you are reading this book.

There are spells in this book that might be straight up myths from an ancient time. Category 5 Rune traps, blood magic spells, dark magic spells (the more dangerous parts are already torn out), ley line tapping and even some magical summoning (it’s definitely not a myth Twilight, you can summon magical creatures to fight for you) are present in this book. Please read this carefully Twilight, don’t dissapoint me by the amount of power you have here.

I pray this spellbook will suit your needs well Twilight, this is powerfull ancient magic that was created when Alicorns roamed the land like the ponies we see today. They definitely exist and are very powerful, this book will arm you with the necessary knowledge to combat Alicorns successfully (alongside your French compatriots) with minimal risk. Do me proud Twilight

Regards

Celestia

And there she stopped reading immediately and closed the book. “Ley line...tapping...is...real?” Twilight wondered as she pondered the potential knowledge this book possess for her. She was highly interested in learning ley lines ever since she was a small filly, and this illogical interest sticked as her first scientific paper was talking about the nature of ley lines. Ley lines allows the world to be magically powered and originated from the planet’s magical core, although it’s point of origin is from the north and south poles of the planet, it can congregate into areas where there is a powerful magical presence such as the Castle of the Two Sisters and the Crystal Empire. It is also speculated that tapping directly into these ley lines would fill a pony with so much magic they would die instantly. But lo and behold, Twilight is now seeing a book with instructions to tap into the ley lines directly...without having to die from so much raw magic.

She wasted no time and start reading the book. Burning dedication clearly seen in her eyes as she skipped many pages until she saw what she wanted to learn first

Tapping into Ley Lines, part 1
Written by Celestia

Meanwhile, at the bridge

“Captain on the bridge!!!” a seaman shouted as the Captain entered the room
“At ease” the Captain said as the crew prepares for their long journey to the Kerguelen Islands and eventually the Guiana passage.
“So what do we have for civilian shipping in the area?” the Captain asked the communications officer
“Mostly nothing sir, although we do have some Equestrian shipping moving in to the passage by the time we arrived at Kerguelen” the comms officer responded
“Have we sent them a notice?”
“Of course sir, they have complied with the notice and are moving away from the passage at the best possible speed.”
“Good, alright then. Helmsman, left thrusters at full. Comms officer, contact de Gaulle’s escorts that we are leaving port and also inform the Mistrals to prepare to leave as well. Let’s get this opération started.”
“Of course sir” both the Helmsman and the Comms officer responded as the de Gaulle moves out of port.

Down below in the engine room, the bestial sound of the Alstom steam turbines rumbled as the thrusters pump out water, slowly moving the Charles de Gaulle sideways as the comms officer contacts the escorts for Charles de Gaulle.
“Attention to all ships on escort duty. The Charles de Gaulle is departing now, I repeat the Charles de Gaulle is departing now”
“This is Frigate Forbin reporting for duty.”
“Chevalier Paul reporting for duty.”
“Languedoc, leaving port.”
“Auvergne, reporting for duty.”
“Casablanca here, we are leaving port now.”
“Vigilant moving out now.”
“La Fayette, reporting for duty.”
“Somme reporting for duty, fully stocked as well sir.”
Counting that all of de Gaulle’s escorts are leaving port as well. He now contacted the ground task force already assembled at the landing ships Tonnere and Dixmude
“Attention captains of the Tonnere and the Dixmude, we are leaving port now. You better wrap things up down there and leave port as well.”
“Tonnere here, understood. We’re moving out of port now.”
“Dixmude here, all troops accounted for. Moving out of port.”

Immediately after the Charles de Gaulle’s Comms officer contacted the escorts and the ground task force. The naval base suddenly surged in activity as the French task force is leaving port after 3 days of rapid, if not a bit hasty preparation to leave for Kerguelen Island. Cargo planes are already being sent to the Kerguelen Islands to deliver further supplies the landing ships cannot bring and a rudimentary base camp has also been established to coordinate missions from the Island. It is chosen for central command due to it's range making it relatively safe from harm due to the island's distance from the passage.

Charles de Gaulle’s boardroom, 9:00AM, 3 years after event

Twilight sits there, uncomfortably laying her eyes on the steely eyed French naval and ground officers looking at each other. She thought she was about to blow up from the sheer pressure these men gave to her when the Captain finally arrived.

“Okay then men, at ease.” as the Captain formally started the meeting. “You all know why you’re here right? Good, we now start with the objectives of the mission. Mission objective 1 is the establishment of a base of operations at the Guiana Passage, this area is too valuable for shipping for a bunch of ancient magical beings to disrupt with. This objective will last indefinitely until the area is deemed secure”

“The second objective is to find, hunt or capture any remaining Alicorns encountered in force reconnaisance operations in the peninsula. Do note this is a rather empty patch of land only filled with Tundra and the like so all bets are off for now. Collateral damage be damned.” as he finished briefing his officers which is replied with a bunch of nods with Twilight just sitting there taking notes.

“Now the third objective, pretty simple really. Find any evidence linking this piece of parchment” he gives the officers a copy of what the parchment reads “to anything resembling ‘Alicorn’ in it. The defense minister has asked us to find any evidence concerning a presence of an Alicorn remnant that can threaten the security of Equestria and France itself. This task force’s objective is to find that evidence, follow it’s clues and eliminate the threat before it becomes too big. Is that understood?”
“Sir yes sir!”
“Good then, prepare your men. These objectives are relatively simple ones and you are allowed autonomy when completing these objectives. I will coordinate with Army General Roland to the best of my abilities but we in the Navy must ensure that when the ground pounders are completing these three objectives they are protected adequately from the air. Do that gentlemen and you might eliminate what could possibly be the biggest threat ever encountered since we got here. Meeting dismissed.” the Captain said as squadron leaders and ship captains of the escort ships leaves for their respected stations, Twilight was also about to leave when the Captain called her name.

“Mrs. Sparkle, a word with you please” the Captain said as Twilight suddenly looked at him confusingly and walked to him
“Y-yes sir?” she replied
“I know about your objective Twilight, and I must say that you have done a damn good job from the reports I got.”
“Oh heheheh….uhh thank you!” she practically beamed at the compliment
“And that is why I’m tasking you with something big, it’s not too big that you would practically fail but it’s big enough that you now will have a big responsibility on your hooves.”
“Oh uhh. What is it?”
“You will be tasked not only to coordinate ground forces regarding magical dangers that we don’t know of or can’t detect, but also you will be tasked as head investigator for every magical artifact that we might unearth.” the Captain blatantly said as Twilight Sparkle’s eyes go wide
“M-me? Artifact analysis!? I know I was trained by Celestia but I never got the time necessary to conduct actual expeditions!” she responded, concern over her eyes apparent as she was being tasked with something she’s been definitely trained for, but never experienced in.
“Well it looks like you don’t have much of a choice because Celestia can’t justify sending a full blown scientist into nowhere. So you’re the only one on our team with the training necessary to conduct analysis of magical artifacts. I know that you are not experienced in this field and I have set my standards accordingly, but please Twilight, you’re the only one here that can really do these things” The Captain said.

At first Twilight was unsure at the scale of the work being tasked with. What the Captain said is true, I am the only one here qualified to do these things, yet I’m also highly inexperienced in handling magical artifacts….sure the knowledge’s there but the experience is not. But if I don’t do this, I would be hoofing responsibility to admittedly good human scientists but they’ve only been studying magic for only 3 years. That would be disastrous if something bad were to happen during detection for any possible traps….ugh, fine then, let’s do this!! as Twilight finished her deliberation to deliver her response.

“Fine then Captain. I will take your task and finish it to the best of my abilities, I expect full cooperation between me and your scientists. Oh and don’t expect perfect results because this is my first time doing this as well.”

“Understood Twilight, we’ll brief you later when we reach Port Aux Francais. In the mean time…..well there’s not much to do when we’re not doing combat ops. So just hang tight till we reach Kerguelen….and I hope you brought a book to pass the time.”

Twilight only responded with a nod and then proceeded to leave.

Port Aux Francais, 12:00PM, 3 years after event

Administrator Pascal Bolot was absolutely busy with work. Ever since the event happened the once desolate Kerguelen Islands has seen an increase of activity as construction crews first build an airbase during the first expedition into the Passage and now the French military has returned to conduct a second expedition from his Island. Why did the event have to happen! I was perfectly content being far away from civilization and now I got this!? Ugh! He thought as he signed another bunch of boring paperwork which is taken by his assistant.

He was about to open his computer from sleep when another loud whirring sound was heard. “Damn cargo planes” he muttered as an A400M military transport plane landed again on the Islands, offloading supplies for the incoming expedition just a couple of days later.

Just when he finished his official paperwork a French military official opened the door and saluted the administrator. “Come in, be seated” he said as the military official took his seat and starts reporting on the status of the base set up just a couple of kilometers west of the Port Aux Francais.

“So what do you want to report on?” the admin asked.
“Just to report that the base is finished, oh and Totoche just ran out of fish.”
“Oh! That is definitely a most concerning fact. That fine restaurant must be kept supplied at all costs!!” the admin replied sarcastically
“Yeah, just saw a bunch of fishing boats leaving harbour.” the official replied
“No but seriously. Is there any urgent news? Developments? Stuff like that?”
“No sir. I was just about to submit a report saying that the base is finished and that you just need to wait till the task force arrive.”
“Oh? And that is all?”
“Yes sir that is all”
“Good then, I await for further developments in your army’s little expedition.”
“Of course sir, we will keep you informed as things progress in the peninsula.” the military official said as he saluted and left the building.

The Southern Continent, 1:00PM, 3 years after event

The thick sheet of ice was highly foreboding in the seemingly barren wasteland. It’s bright white colour shimmer in the sunlight as an entire continent sleeps, waiting to awaken. Waiting to retake what is rightfully theirs before the sisters and their king took it all away, waiting to bring eternal prosperity and joy to all the oppressed races the sisters oh so terribly crushed. Waiting to be awoken to lead the lesser races in holy war against ‘the’ king and their followers once more.

And the time could not be any better. Or at least that’s what ‘he’ hoped, messages from the slumbering Northern Alicorns has revealed that the Crystal Empire has returned and with it, the promise of the Tyrant King has been followed as his fallen empire is battling the nation of Equestria at this very moment. Now deemed the right time to awake the slumbering continent, the snow on the continent begins to shift.

“And now, Celestia and Luna. You will know the folly of your tyrant rule over those oppressed races you have been stamping all around. 12.000 years have we waited, gathering our magic and marshalling our strengths in secret as the world moves on. Passing the mere mentioning of our race as ‘myths’ and ‘legends’.......well it looks like your time of deception and oppression is over Celestia, for now WE RISE!!! WE RISE!!! WE RISE!!!”

The thick sheet of ice and the tranquility of the Southern Continent was suddenly shattered as thick pillars of Crystal rose from the ice. Shrugging off the thick ice as mere obstacles in it’s meteoric rise. This is soon followed by multiple towers at varying heights to spring up in conjuncture to the tall tower. Flowing with ancient magic powerful enough to level multiple city blocks, the mere presence of this city alone was more than enough to sent a jolt throughout the whole ley line network and even create a new node in time. Eventually the rising towers stopped their ascent and out comes a sight no one could comprehend. Just like that, gleaming proudly in the thick sheet of ice. A fantastic looking city mired with Crystals, Steel and Moonstone has sprung up just like that.

The former Alicorn Capital of Manshira has risen from it’s slumber, and from it the true heirs to this world shall rise and retake it’s rightful place once more. The city long thought to have it’s streets laden with gold and it’s houses made by the raw magic of the Alicorns, the ancient city that has long since been reduced to myth has finally risen, and with it powerful forces are going to take shape and create a crysis this world has never seen before. Immediately after the city’s rise, hordes of Alicorns, Ponies, Zebras a Griffins begin scattering around the city. Opening shops, restocking it’s armouries, and manning the proud walls.

“Now then, fellow brothers and sisters!!!” a loud shout comes out from the main podium located at the height of the main tower. “We have returned and we will bring progress, civilization and prosperity back into the land we have fought for!!!” A figure was seen slowly walking to the front of the podium to the cheering sound of hundreds of Alicorns and the other races as they suddenly stopped their preparations to hear the speech. “We have long been oppressed as well, the king and his unjust rule has forced us to take a role we never wanted but the world always needed. We have made a difference back then, we WILL make a difference now. We have learned from our mistakes and improved our weaponries, tactics and magic in our self imposed exile. And now we return again to save this world from the Tyrant rule of the Princesses and their sadistic parents!!” a very powerful looking Alicorn finally can be seen talking in front of the tower’s podium to an assortment of Ponies, Alicorns and Zebras at the bottom.

“Now prepare yourselves brothers and sisters, for now we have to face a foe that has long since ruled this world with their iron hooves for 11.000 years. Prepare yourselves for one final journey to bring freedom and prosperity back into this world. PREPARE YOURSELVES FOR WAR BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!! FOR THEIR RULE HAS DEFINITELY WEAKENED AND WE NEED TO PAVE THE STREETS OF THIS MAJESTIC CAPITAL WITH THEIR BLOOD!! VICTORY FOR THIS WORLD!! VICTORY...FOR ALL OF US!!” the Alicorn that stood in the podium concluded his speech to a near fanatical roar as Alicorns, Zebras and Ponies alike went into their stations to prepare this ancient city for war.

Kourou Space Station, 1:00PM, 3 years after event

“Seeing massive energy spikes sir!!” someone said as the screen around the southern continent suddenly blared in life.
“What is it?” Flight director Herve Come asked, already informed that the expeditionary force was on it’s way. He was worried that the energy spikes coming from the Southern Continent might jeapordize the whole operation, and worse: kill thousands of lives as well
“It….looks like some sort of structure has been magically resurfaced sir.” One of the operators said
“Zoom onto the site” the flight director responded as the screen currently showing the energy spike zoomed in multiple times onto the site of the spike.
As the full extent of the site is revealed, the entire operating room went silent, “What….is that?” the flight director wondered as the screen revealed what looked like a city. “Inform the Captain of the de Gaulle. He needs to hear this.”
“Of course sir” an operator replied as he puts his hand into a phone and dials the number for the Captain of the Carrier.

Charles de Gaulle’s Captain’s quarters, 1:15PM, 3 years after event

“Is that so? Have you informed the President about the issue? Understood, I will adjust my plans accordingly. Thank you” the Captain said as he puts down his phone with a sigh.
“Damn Alicorns.” he muttered as he was already informed of the rapid developments in the still unexplored Southern Continent. During France’s three year existence in Equestria, the country had to do some massive administrative work. Ensuring that France, Equestria and Amaterasu adjusts to the new paradigm the human country has brought to the world. One of the unfortunate side effects of the heavy focus on domestic issues was that Hollande’s and later Ayrault’s administration never really got a chance to explore the world as extensively as they wanted. Most notably in the lack of any French presence in the Southern Continent as the country was heavily reorienting it’s modern economy to the still industrial economies of their newfound allies.

After a few minutes of thinking about the new situation. He puts his hand on the phone again and dials the number for the Senior Flight officer in charge for the external security of the de Gaulle. He contacted the number and was met with a scruffy sounding voice asking to him what the hell's going on. After he was informed about developments in the Southern Continent his voice went from angry to concerned very fast, he was later ordered by the Captain to commence combat air patrols immediately to counter the growing situation in the South and an increase of air sorties from the carrier during the expedition.

Knowing that it is not wise to argue against the Captain’s orders. He quickly said yes and after concluding his ‘enlightening’ talk with the captain, decided to immediately tell his pilots to start combat air patrol operations immediately. He was reasonably met with grunts and eyerolls but the pilots quickly obliged after standing up from their usual lounging. After a bit of organization and weapons fitting, the first Rafale airwings were launched at 3:00PM sharp. The amount of sorties when the expedition reached it’s destination were increased from six to ten sorties each day, each sortie lasting for one and a half hours instead of the planned thirty minutes. With even more planes put on reserve sortie in order to respond if something went wrong and the active sortie could not combat the situation.

Well...at least I know that the days ahead of me are going to be interesting the flight officer thought as he started to go back to his paperwork after telling the pilots about the situation.

******

French satellites have detected activity over the still unexplored Southern Continent

Charles de Gaulle has officially left port and is now on it’s way to the Guiana Passage

Twilight Sparkle promoted to head researcher for the analysis of possible magical artifacts and objects found on the expedition

The first French troops are returning back home from their battle in the Crystal Empire. Activity on Princess Celestia international ramps up due to influx of French soldiers returning home

The first Lufthansa flights has arrived on Chuoko International Airport in Amaterasu. As the rapidly growing economy and tourism industry of the Kirin Empire brought in thousands of French tourists and businessmen into Amaterasu ever since the event. The Empress of Amaterasu herself welcomed the progress as ‘a march in the right direction’ in the opening ceremony of the airport

Author's Note:

Sorry guys for the long wait, need to coordinate with my proofreader which really slows down update time