• Published 7th Dec 2015
  • 3,999 Views, 97 Comments

The Southern Expedition - Ponelover



The Charles de Gaulle is deployed to the Guiana Passage, their discoveries will shock Equestria to it's core

  • ...
4
 97
 3,999

23rd June, 2018

Alicornia, 7:00AM, 3 years after event

“Are you sure you wanna do this Rainbow? This will be our toughest mission yet.” a member of the unit asks. Concerned on what this operation might entail to the group’s survival.
“Listen here Lightning, We have nothing to worry about, we’re just gonna swarm the ship currently on her own and pull back immediately once we’ve damaged it enough to call it a success.”
“But have you seen what their Air Guard has done to Alicornia? I mean look at this place! This is going to be a tight one and you know it.”
“Like you haven’t been in any tight situations yourself. Do you remember that time when we were forced to delay the Imperial Guard long enough for the entire 23rd to pull back, c’mon Lightning don’t be a wuss. We’re gonna be fine!”
“Agh fine then Rainbow, I really can’t fight it anyway since it’s coming straight from Manshira. Are the enhancers ready?”
“Yep the horn enhancers are ready” Rainbow replied as her horn lights up which also powers a ring inserted into it. Enhancing the blast of the already powerful Alicorn magic even more.
“Okay then, ATTENTION!!” Lightning exclaimed as the entire locker room filled with both mares and stallions alike stood up in attention to their leader.

“Thank you very much Lightning, now brothers and sisters. Come to the briefing room for prebattle briefings once you have your armor ready. Dismissed!!”

######

“Okay then, are we all here?” Captain Rainbow asked which is replied with a bunch of nods and yesses. “Good then, we may begin”
“So our main target would be this ship over here” as her horn lights up, showing what looks like a map of the Southern half of the Equestrian continent. “We’ve got a golden ticket handed to us right over here” as a cursor moves into a certain part of the map showing a bright blue dot “This here is a human ship on their way to the human nation for what we can assume is a resupply mission, our mission for now is to intercept this ship and destroy it at best or cripple it if we’re unable to further proceed.”
“In order to do that we are going to divide our unit into 3 groups. Group 1 will come from the east” as the cursor shows an arrow pointing east of the ship “and will be led by myself, group 2 will come from the south and will be lead by Lieutenant Lightning Strike” as the cursor moves south of the blup dot showing an arrow coming from the south “and finally, group 3 will come from the west and will be lead by Lieutenant Ho’Mashir. This attack will occur simultaneously to ensure that whatever happens, we will have the advantage of numbers over the ship. You know your positions and I have personally briefed the group leaders yesterday, we are leaving at 1100 hours. For all of us!”
“For all of us!” responded the rest of the unit as the room dispersed. The members of Unit 435 preparing their weapons for the coming assault.

French Frigate Auvergne, 11:00AM, 3 years after event

Captain Michelle’s day went along rather smoothly today. She got out of bed, she got orders that his crew will get some R&R following the success of op guerriere and another ship is going to be transferred. So naturally the Captain alerted her crew for immediate departure and lo and behold. The Auvergne is already on their way back to France, morale is high and although standard operating procedures are to be maintained at all times. The ship’s crew and the Captain itself is looking forward for some rest and relaxation.

“Are those magical barriers up?”
“Yes Captain, it wouldn’t hold on for long against an Alicorn attack but it will do it’s job”
“Good, I don’t want any surprises here. Is the Forbin still around?”
“Yes sir, the Forbin is maintaining a course 30 nautical miles north of us but should be able to respond to emergencies.”
“Good, maintain speed and let’s get back home boys. No need to refuel at Kerguelen this time around.”
“Thank god, that place is soooo boring.” a crewmember replied which is met with laughs from other crewmembers on the bridge. Admittedly it is kinda boring, Kerguelen has nothing but cabbage, seals and the occasional penguin and anyone stationed there is either having some fallout with their officer or just really hated life.

Meanwhile, 100 kilometers south of Auvergne’s position

The sheer speed of the alicorn when they really pull their weight is nothing short of astounding as is shown in a bunch of speeding alicorns racing at low altitude, although one of the reasons they do fly a such low altitudes is to look cool, there is some benefit in hiding yourself by flying low enough until it is too late for the ship they’re striking to do anything.

“Mindlink’s open brothers and sisters, we are splitting in 10”
“9”
“8”
“7”
“6”
“5”
“4”
“3”
“2”
“1”
“Split!!” called Rainbow as the group containing some twelve of the fastest and deadliest Alicorns broke up. “Good good, once you are at striking distance do NOT wait for permission, strike them down with your might brothers and sisters, for all of us!!”
“Ma’am yes ma’am!!” responded the group as all of Unit 435 readied their horns and charges up for a spell.

Auvergne

“Ma’am I’m detecting something here” said the radar operator.
“What is it?” the Captain replied, surely it cannot be an Alicorn attack right? the Captain reasoned, they would be mad to mount a counterattack after the attack on Alicornia! Their city is wrecked.
“I’m detecting 12 targets ma’am, moving fast and splitting up”
“Where are they heading for?” replied the Captain, sweat slowly trickling down her face
“......us ma’am” the operator replied solemnly
Oh no…...oh shi-
“Alert general quarters!!! the ship’s under attack!!”
“Understood ma’am” an officer at the bridge responded as he pushed a lever and then the word is out.
“General quarters general quarters this is not a drill” and with that the ship was immediately on alert, ready for the incoming Alicorn attack
“The unidentified target is now approaching us from the east, west and south ma’am, please advise”
“Fire 2 salvos of Asters on the eastern targets, fire now!!” the Captain ordered as the comms officer relayed orders to the Combat Information Center immediately.
“Roger that Captain, tracking target aaaaaaand fire!” as the VLS cell in the front of the ship opens and out comes 4 missiles, each of them racing towards the Alicorn targets to the east.
“Alert the Forbin and the Charles de Gaulle!! I repeat alert the Forbin and the Charles de Gaulle, request immediate reinforcements!!” The Captain further ordered as the holiday cruise suddenly turned into the ultimate nightmare.

80 Kilometers East of the Auvergne

“I sense something Lightning…..it’s their fire lances!!!” one of the Air Guard alerted
“Understood, all Air Guards, shoot down those fire lances immediately! If they hit you then you’ll be in a world of hurt!” commanded Lieutenant Lightning Strike as their horns charges up and fire.
Turns out actually hitting the human’s fire lances than detecting them is a far harder task than he imagined.
“I’m having...a hard time here”
“How can they be so fast!!! They’re almost as fast as us?!?”
“I got it!!” One of the crew members exclaimed as an explosion can be seen in the distance
“Damn it this is not working! evade, evade now!!” the Lieutenant ordered as the formation broke off, fire lances still following them
“Oh damn, these things are hard to shake off. C’mon c’mon aha!!” another Air Guard exclaimed as another missile went down.
“I can’t shake them off….gah!!”
“Oh horseapples. Fleira is that you? Fleira?!?”
“Forget it, keep pushing forward. I won’t doubt that there will be more coming our way”

Back to the Auvergne

“Firing 2 Salvos at the Western target….now!!” replied the Combat Information Center as another VLS cell opens up and launches their deadly payload onto the target
“Auvergne repeat is that you? Auvergene repeat please respond.”
“Yes this is the Frigate Auvergne, is this the Forbin?”
“Yes this is Captain Aillard of the Frigate Forbin, we just heard your call and are heading your way now. Hang on tight we’ll be there at ETA 20 minutes”
“Understood Forbin” the Captain replied as he nodded her head, the crew understanding what it’s meant orders the CIC to fire 2 more Salvos onto the Alicorn targets, trying everything they can to repel the sudden Alicorn attack. Hopefully those magic shields will work. I don’t know what I’ll do if they fall though the Captain thought as the attack rages on

50 Kilometers South of the Auvergne

“Another of those Fire lances!!! Darn it!!” screamed Rainbow Streak as the assault continues, turns out those fire lances are really darn accurate. Much to her surprise when the group first encountered a barrage of those darned things. Already one of her Air Guard is downed with more being possible as they close in to destroy the Auvergne.
“I can’t shake it off, oh no….oh no oh no oh n-”
“Rapidstrike? Rapidstrike is that you?!? Oh crap Captain, we just lost Rapidstrike!!”
“I know I know Deadbolt just...keep pushing through!! once we’re close enough then let those horns do their job. MOVE!!” the Captain ordered as the group pushes forward

Back to the Auvergne

“Ummm Captain?”
“What is it officer?”
“We’ve got a bit of a problem here”
“Just show me..” the Captain replied in frustration as she sees the radar, and she froze immediately
“Check the status of those magical shields. The unicorn corps assured us that they will hold right?” she ordered as the crew members immediately went to work
“It’s at…….30% ma’am” the officer nervously replies.
“oh...no. Oh FUCK!!” the Captain screamed as the gauge dropped down again to 20%
“Alert the Forbin immediately!! Tell them that we are under attack and the enemy’s about to breach the magical barrie-

BOOM

“What is that?”
“That’s….the sound of the barriers breaking”
“Oh fuck”

10 Kilometers West of the Auvergne

“We’ve breached the shields!!! All units move move move!!” Lieutenant Mashir ordered as all 3 Alicorns poured in and starts firing to the Auvergne at range. It has been a very-very exhausting and costly assault but they’ve done it. Unit 435 has breached all defensive layers and is now attacking the ship itself. Streaks of magical beams raced through the skies as the Alicorn’s horn enhancers are doing their job really-really well, destroying the Auvergne with their magical beams.

“This is for Alicornia you…whatever you are” the Lieutenant grumbles as he shoots another beam, damaging the broadside of the ship as the creatures that crew it frantically casts their firespell….things to stave off the Alicorn attack.

Auvergne

With the magical shields broken and the Alicorns swarming throughout the ship. The Captain’s frantic calls for help becomes even more desperate.
“Just….hold on, we’re just 5 minutes out” The Captain of the Forbin replied
“GODDAMIT CAN’T YOU GO ANY FASTER!?!? MY MEN ARE DYING HERE!!!’
“I’m sorry but just hold them off, we’re coming”
and with that the line died. Captain Michelle was not a happy person anymore, her ship is under attack. And The Captain's mood further soured once she got the results from the damage report.
“Main Engines are down and being flooded as we speak, helicopter bays are destroyed beyond repair and we don’t have enough time , cannons are in danger of exploding, radar is still operational and we’re tilting at five degrees to starboard”
“*Sighs*....abandon ship, abandon the ship and fire everything we have on those damn Alicorns”
“Understood ma’am” the officer replied as he calls in the CIC to fire off all the remaining missiles.
“Understood Captain. Tracking all targets aaaaand fire!!!” as all remaining VLS cells open up and let loose their payload of missiles. A last ditch attempt to bloody the nose of the Alicorn attacks.
“Abandon Ship!! Abandon ship now!!!” The Captain ordered as the ship slowly sinks.
“Lifeboats are being unloaded Captain. Now if you would please come with-”

BOOM

A couple of miles from the Auvergne

“I...is that?” says an officer as his hand shakes
“Oh shit that’s the Auvergne!! Target the remaining Alicorns and-”
“The Alicorns are pulling back Captain”
“I DON’T CARE!!! FIRE AT THOSE BASTARDS!!!”
“Understood sir, locking on target aaaand fire!!” as the Forbin launched It’s missiles to further deter the Alicorns from attacking again. Eventually after a couple minutes of silence the all clear was given and the Forbin begins unloading rescue boats to save whatever’s left of the Auvergne’s crew.
“That’s a goddamn magazine explosion. Those Alicorns must’ve done a number on the Auvergne”
“Indeed Captain, oh and report from the rescue op. Almost all of the crewmembers are accounted for. We’re going to search the area for another 2 hours before we head back to France itself. Some of these men needs advanced medical treatment ASAP. Also sir….we can’t find the Captain”
“Then she is to be presumed MIA until the de Gaulle enters the area. Now hold on this area while we scour for survivors and get the infirmary up and running MOVE!!” ordered the Captain as the Forbin continues it’s rescue operation.

Elysee Palace, 1:00PM, 3 years after event

With word out about the attack, the palace was suddenly swarmed with activity, all manner of order was lost in a sea of chaos as ministers and admirals swarmed through the palace just to talk to the President about the matter. Admittedly the President would applaud them for such impeccable timing, arriving just 1 hour after the sinking of the Auvergne, can’t blame them for freaking out though, heck I’m still confused as to how they managed to penetrate the ship's defenses the President mused as the meeting immediately starts off with a sour tone.

“Mr President, I trust that you have been briefed about the situation regarding the Auvergne?”
“Yes Admiral I have been briefed. How long till the Forbin arrives at Toulon?”
“With the speed he’s going? Roughly around midnight. Don’t worry medical teams are already on standby. How are we going to announce this to the public?”
“Just arrange a press conference Admiral. Ideally clock it in with the evening news, I have more stuff to worry today right now.”
“Of course Mr President” the admiral replied as he left the room.

Alicornia, 2:00PM, 3 years after event

“Yeah that’s awesome!!” Lightning Strike exclaimed as the group finally reached Alicornia. The fighting’s been fierce but ultimately they succeeded in their mission of sinking the human ship. And what a strange ship that was. No sails at all and yet it packs enough firepower to destroy half a fleet, how did these ‘humans’ create such monstrous machines? Lightning further thought as the group landed.

I think you shouldn’t let your thoughts wonder when you’re still mindlinked Lightning Rainbow replied as she smirks in front of Lightning.
W-what. Gah!! he exclaimed as the Alicorn shuts off the mindlink.
“And to answer your question, I honestly have no idea. Those fire lances just killed 4 of our Air Guards so we must be cautious when we encounter another human warship” Rainbow replied.
“Rapidstrike…...oh horseapples Rapidstrike!!” another Air Guard cries.
“Hey there it’s okay, Rapidstrike did what he did best” Lightning replied as she tries to comfort the Air Guard that’s mourning on his loss.
“Don’t patronize me Lightning, I….I need some timeout” the guard replied as he heads straight to the barracks.
“O-okay then, we’ll be here to support you” Lightning replied as the doors to the barracks closed.
“Leave him be Lightning, Deadbolt wants some alone time and we’re gonna give him exactly that” Rainbow replied, knowing all too well what it’s like to lose someone you love.
“F-fine then Rainbow, let’s get some grub” Lightning said which is replied with a nod from Rainbow.
“I heard that the local restaurant is serving Zebrican food today”
“Oh yes, I always love Zebrican food” replied Lightning as they both went to the city.

Canterlot, 3:00PM, 3 years after event

“Oh? So this small hamlet is where the sisters set their new capital?” Harmony inquires as they finally reached the outer gates of Canterlot.
“Um small hamlet? excuse me but Canterlot’s been our capital for a couple of millenia. It’s never been a village.”
“Then I guess my daughters never told you about Alicorn history then” Harmony responded as she and Daring Do reached the castle of the Equestria. The official residence of both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.
“Huh, and apparently there’s also been a trend for gold plated buildings as well” she further inquired as they entered the castle.

After a couple of minutes of walking they reached the entrance to the throneroom. And as per usual, a guard is standing in front of the door looking like a rock. It’s always with the damned guards isn’t it Daring rolled her eyes as she approaches the guard and unveils a card showing her status. The guard immediately opened the door and let the two mares inside the throneroom.

The throneroom of the Princesses has changed a lot in the 3 years after the French arrival. Used to be a nondescript room with a throne in front of it, French architects has changed the room into a very secure compound with barrier shield generators, security cameras and even a retractable table in front of the Equestrian throne itself. The motive of the room has also been changed. In the older days of Equestria, due to the country effectively being ruled by 1 Princess. The motive of the room was kept in it’s typical Celestial dressing, velvet red carpets, gold encrusted windows, a cushioned throne room and the fountain to add some decoration.

Now with the return of Princess Luna there has been plans to create a second throne room solely dedicated to the night princess herself. Daring’s already seeing the foundations being laid just right next to Celestia’s throne room, if all the scaffolding was any indication at all.

It was at this time when Princess Luna begins to address Daring, “Ah so you’ve returned from your trip? I guess that the trip to the Everfree Forest went swimmingly?” she said as she still rifles a bunch of papers containing permits and other boring governmental bureaucracy.
“Well yes. And also I’ve found something…...well not really it’s more of a somepony”
“Oh really? she replied still busy with her work “I reckon that she might be a certain zebra then?”
“Well that and someone else. And you might need to stop whatever you’re doing Princess, you should really see what’s in front of you.”
“Oh fine” she said as she puts down her paper “What’s so important that it demands…..who......is…..that?” as the night Princess is at a loss of words over what she’s seeing right next to Daring.
“Oh Lulu, surely you haven’t forget about your mother now have you?” the creature asked.
“M-mother?!? SOLARIA!!?” Luna exclaimed as all sense of regality from the Princess dropped into nostalgia and overwhelming happiness. She immediately took off from her throneroom and approaches the creature with cautiousness mixed in with optimism. “You certainly don’t look like her”
“Well if you want evidence then how about a song?” Harmony responded as she started to sing a song Luna haven’t heard of since she’s only a little filly.
‘Come little children, I’ll take thee away. Into a land of enchantment. Come little children, the time’s come to play, here in my garden of shado-’
“STOP!” Luna screamed as her singing was interrupted. She knew that lullaby like the back of her hoof and there’s only one Mare that knew that song other than herself. “You really are her….I can even see the scars” as tears starts flowing and she hugged her mother in an embrace long overdue.
“Welcome back mother” Luna said silently as mother and daughter bonded, reunited after millenia.

A couple of minutes later

“Oh mother, I cannot tell you about how Equestria has changed! You must see our technological advances. Or readvances for your eyes in some technologies” Luna said as she toured her mother around Canterlot palace.
“What happened to the Empire then? Did it disintegrate in the wake of my 'death?'”
“Well yes and no. After your ‘death’ we had a really hard time maintaining cohesion within the empire. What with all the loyalists and traitors killing each other, but we still held on to the empire for a full 3 years and only after that did things finally break down…..those were some very dark times” Luna recalled, the ley lines were significantly weaker back then as well so magic was limited to only casting simple spells she further thought as they both strolled through Canterlot Castle, looking at all the sights and changes to what is now the Capital of the Principality of Equestria.
“What happened to the other Alicorns then? I still remember the day when we were still commonplace” Harmony inquired further
“Well let’s just say that they were not as lucky as us. The civil war nearly killed all of the remaining Alicorns and further reduced our population when….he showed up”
“Oh? I assume that you took the elements to fight this being yes?”
“Correct mother, and while we managed to seal the being. The land was ravaged by the civil war and his rule, so we decided to take the crown and lead whatever’s left of your dream right there.”


“And by the looks of it you have done an excellent job Luna, I’m impressed at how prosperous this ‘Equestria’ is”
“Well let’s not forget Celestia now mother, she would be thrilled at seeing you again. Speaking of Celestia, meet me at dinner time, we have a lot to talk about” Luna replied as they both trotted back to the throne room.
“Umm Princess Luna, can I leave now? This seems like something you wanna deal with yourself”
“Correct Daring, and yes. You may leave at once.” Luna replied as Daring responded by opening her wings and flying out of the throneroom.
“So what other interesting things do you have on store for me Lulu? I sense it has to do with the complex contraptions I saw throughout your throne room yes?”
“Well they’re security cameras, and it’s less for our sake due to the fact that almost nopony would dare attack a Princess let alone win and more to provide evidence to the courts in case someone did”
“And the artificial machines meant to cast shields?” Harmony replied as she saw two weird contraptions just on the sides of the room.
“That…..is something you haven’t been told about. You see three years ago there was an event. A very-very important event”
“And this event is?”
“The transportation of the Republic of France to Equis itself”
And with that Harmony knew that her reorientation to Equestria is going to take longer than she thought it would be. *Sighs* it appears the world is utterly unrecognizable then, might as well be late than never show up at least she thought as her daughter talks about ‘humans’ and ‘airplanes’ and other stuff she’s completely unfamiliar with.

Canterlot Royal Orchestral Palace, Canterlot, 6:00PM

“How many times have I told you Tavi? It’s going to be a blast!!” A certain blue haired unicorn mare replied as a certain gray earth pony mare grumbles in distaste.
“Ugh, but why must it be EDM? I prefer the more the more sophisticated performance by the Orchestra Nationale de France, and yet I’m here stuck with you.” Octavia’s eyes narrowed which is met by confused red eyes.
“What those boring guys at the Canterlot Gardens? Seriously Tavi you need to get off your boner for orchestras and start enjoying some real music.”
“First off, do not say that again. I distaste vulgarity and you know it, second off…..seriously? You consider this real music? This isn’t music, it’s noise! And not a very pleasant noise at that either.” Tavi responded as Vinyl shows two tickets to the counter and they went into the palace.

Inside the palace however, Octavia noticed something strange. For one there is apparently a giant triangle shaped….thing in the hall and the usual regal decorations of the hall is now stripped into a more futuristic look. Ugh I HATE this decoration, it has no class at all! she thought as she decided to take a seat, with Vinyl not far behind.
“Hey Tavi look what I got” said Vinyl as she hoofed over some glowsticks to Octavia
“Oh wonderful…...glowsticks” as her hoof cracks the stick, lighthing them up
“Oh c’mon Tavi, just lighten up, don’t be so grumpy all the time”
“Remember that promise you made last week. After this we’re gonna go to the orchestra tomorrow.”
“Oh fine, but just enjoy this concert now Tavi. Please? For your best bud?” said Vinyl as the unicorn’s eyes widens and tried to look like a stray puppy.
Octavia just rolled her eyes and just nodded her head.

And right on cue the lights starts to go off. The triangle thing lights up and music can be heard in the background. Originally it was just a drum roll followed simple *thump* followed by another *thump* but then the tone changes when the two musicians came out and starts playing their music.
“What in the world is a robot rock?” Tavi wonders as the crowd went wild (Vinyl included) and starts hitting their glowsticks in the air in tune with the music.
Oh this is going to be long night she mused as the Daft Punk Equestrian tour finally begins.