• Published 13th Dec 2015
  • 410 Views, 11 Comments

Resurgence - DouglasTrotter



A defeated foe, now revived, seeks vengence on Equestria and those that call it home.

  • ...
 11
 410

A Reborn Star

Plumes of smoke billowed out of the locomotive's stack, steam hissing from its breaks. Sparks erupted from the train's sturdy metal wheels that skidded against the track as it came to stop. Behind the station, the crystal castle spire gleamed in the light of the sun that sat overhead. Mares, stallions, fillies, and colts trotted, galloped, and walked throughout the Crystal Kingdom, going about their daily routine.

On the train station platform, crystal ponies clad in armor readied their spears. Determined gazes focused on the car door. Princess Cadence stood ready near Zecora.

"Twilight," Princess Cadence said in a cheery voice. She placed a firm hoof around her sister-in-law, and then hugged her. The princess smiled at the ponies getting off the train. Her expression soured, yet she soon raised an eyebrow. "Chrysalis?"

Queen Chrysalis pushed her way through the ponies in front of her, a misshapen hoof placed over her mouth. She galloped into the train station. The bathroom door slammed behind her.

"It's so good to see you, Cadence." Twilight said. She levitated the three fillies onto the stretchers brought to the train station. "I'm glad you got my message. I'm worried the battle with Applejack took a lot out of Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo. They haven't woken up since last morning."

Princess Cadence nodded to the group. Applejack ran alongside the stretcher that carried Apple Bloom. Rarity dashed towards the hospital along with Rainbow Dash.

Queen Chrysalis stumbled out of the bathroom. She patted her head with a wet piece of paper towel before throwing it into the garbage. In a quivering voice she said, "The love in this place is sickeningly sweet."

Pinkie Pie, Twilight, Princess Cadence, and Queen Chrysalis made their way down the street and proceeded into hospital, the sliding crystal glass doors opening for them. Queen Chrysalis plucked a tissue from a nearby box and held it to her nose. She glanced at the gawking eyes that stared at her, sighed, and followed behind the three ponies in front of her.

"How are they doing?" Twilight said.

"They're fine, thank Celestia." Applejack said. She placed her Stetson back on her head. "The doc came in right quick, thanks to Princess Cadence. These fillies are just sufferin' from exhaustion, which doesn't surprise me."

Pinkie Pie patted her friend of the back. She smiled at Applejack who tipped her hat forward to cover her eyes.

"It'll be alright, Applejack. Doctor Chromite is one of the best in Equestria. She'll have them better in no time." Princess Cadence said.

The mare bowed to Princess Cadence and Twilight before turning towards the group. She glanced over the chart in front of her. The mare hung it on the front of Apple Bloom's bed. "As I told Ms. Applejack, the fillies are quite alright. Though I'm being denied access to the information about the event that led to their current state, it appears to be a form of exhaustion brought about by an ethereal event of unknown origin."

"Huh?" Pinkie Pie said.

"The 'incident' on the roof drained them, Pinkie Pie. It sounds like they just need a rather long nap to recover." Twilight said.

"Correct, your highness. I've given them some fluids, along with some special vitamins to treat the exhaustion. With Ms. Zecora's knowledgeable expertise in herbal remedies, I believe the fillies will make a full recovery by the end of the day if not tomorrow." Doctor Chromite said. She bowed to Twilight and Princess Cadence. The mare adjusted her stethoscope. Her eyes widened when she turned away from the group and spied Queen Chrysalis. "You should see a dermatologist. I can also recommend a plastic surgeon as well."

Queen Chrysalis hissed at the mare then huffed after the crystal pony left.

The room fell silent after the door closed. Princess Cadence faced the private room's window, her gentle gaze reflected off its glass pane. She lowered her head. Her wings quivered. A tear rolled down her cheek as she watched the crystal ponies pass by the window.

"We'll get him back," Twilight said.

"I'm that easy to read?" Princess Cadence said. Her eyes focused on Queen Chrysalis's reflection in the window. "I can't blame you for King Sombra's actions, yet I do blame you for bringing that foul being back into existence."

Queen Chrysalis stepped forward. The deposed changeling ruler towered over the ponies in the room. The image of Princess Cadence reflected off her eyes. A heavy sigh escaped her. "I will not blame you for your ire towards me, however, let me say this, Princess Cadence. You presided over nothing when I last saw you in Canterlot. There were no burdens placed upon your shoulders. Now you are the ruler of your own kingdom. Tell me my dear princess, what would you do for your subjects? What would you do to protect them, to care for them?"

"..." Princess Cadence turned towards the window and focused on the ponies that trotted by. She faced the changeling. "I would do everything in my power to protect them. With all my heart, I care for them and would do anything to keep them safe, however, I would not commit atrocities to save their lives. How could I look them in the eyes, knowing what I did was so horrible?"

"It is all in the eye of the beholder." Queen Chrysalis said. Her stern gaze relaxed. "In the city we just came from, I ate pizza alongside these ponies. The only reason I ate that pizza was due to how it tasted, not to sustain myself; it provided no form of sustenance. Unlike your kind, changelings cannot subsist on food. It is only through devouring the love of creatures that we live. It's been that way since I can remember."

Pinkie Pie trotted up to Queen Chrysalis, "I'll make a love cupcake for you to tide ya over."

Queen Chrysalis shook her head. "What am I doing, talking to my food like this. When all of this is over, things will be back to the way they were. I'll make that ridiculous stallion pay for taking my subjects away from me."

Twilight stepped forward. She furrowed her brow. "Why not start a new hive. I've seen how you treat your subjects. There's no love for them."

"They're brainless dolts. What do you expect?" Queen Chrysalis said as she side-stepped Twilight. The changeling stopped in front of the force field that materialized in front of the door. "Do you want to fight me? Even though I am weakened, I'm more than a match for you, Twilight Sparkle."

"Answer me one question, and you can leave. Do you care for your subjects? Apple Bloom and the others told me about what happened in Las Pegasus." Twilight said.

"Stupid blabbermouths --" Queen Chrysalis bit down on her lip then relaxed "-- Luminescence is a rare exception, and I pity that poor child. Unlike you Princess Cadence, that changeling will never hold a foal of her own." she said while her ears lowered. The changeling's wings quivered at her side. She raised her head, "Listen well, little ponies. No changeling has ever been born into this world. Neither are changelings made by any means. We have simply existed. Without me, my subjects will starve. Without them, I am nothing but a freak who cannot live on her own."

"Twilight?" Princess Cadence said.

"Does that satisfy your question?!" Queen Chrysalis said. She levitated Pinkie Pie out of the way. The deposed changeling crept into hallway with the shield gone, and then headed towards the bathroom.

"She's lying." Princess Cadence said. She turned toward the window once more. "How can a being exist that lives on other living creatures?"

"Queen Chrysalis is horrible for what she did. I can't forgive her for imprisoning you and trying to take my brother from me. Still, I'm not sure about her." Twilight said.

*** *** ***

The clock hands ticked on in the waiting room. Rarity levitated a cup to her lips. She shivered.

"You'll need to be cautious with your drink. It'll make it quite hard to think." Zecora said.

Princess Cadence nodded to Rarity while she snacked on a chocolate bar. "I had to give up on the coffee here. It's rather bitter, not to mention a bit strong for my liking."

Though the sun remained frozen overhead, the clock hands crawled by. One hour became two and so on until eight hours passed by since the ponies and changeling arrived in the crystal kingdom. Twilight slumbered on the bench with a pillow under her head and a blanket over her. Zecora stood on her head and closed her eyes.

Spike paced back and forth. The little dragon nibbled on a gem shard before dropping it back into his snack sac. Shadows crept by the door to the private room.

Pinkie Pie exited the private room and shook her head at the group. In a quiet voice she said, "They're still asleep. Applejack refuses to leave Apple Bloom's side. Same with Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo. I'm surprised you're out here, Rarity."

"I'm trying my best to remain calm. I know it wasn't Applejack's fault, still... this wouldn't have started if she had focused on the issue at hoof." Rarity said.

Princess Cadence tossed the chocolate bar's wrapper into the garbage. She wiped her mouth with a napkin, got a drink, and then tossed the napkin and cup into bin near the coffee maker. "Rarity, I know how you feel. Shining Armor is out there with King Sombra doing Celestia knows what to him. Each time I look at my side, it pains me to see an empty space where he once stood. Sweetie Belle is your dear sister, and I can see it in your eyes. With that being said, you mustn't give into your emotions."

"I know, Princess Cadence. I just hate feeling of powerlessness." Rarity said, hanging her head. She wiped away a tear, soon blowing her nose on the provided tissue. "Thank you, Pinkie Pie."

The door to the private room opened. Rarity crept towards the door, and then bolted inside. She latched onto her little sister, embarrassing her in a deep hug.

"Feels like ah went through the Sister Hooves Social's obstacle course ninety times." Apple Bloom said.

Scootaloo yawned and stretched her wings. "Know what ya mean. I haven't hurt this bad since I did fifty wing-ups."

"You did fifteen." Rainbow Dash poked Scootaloo in the side. "Still, I knew you'd pull through, squirt. Same goes for Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom."

Queen Chrysalis rolled her eyes. "Such sentimentality. If it weren't for the threat of impending doom, I could dine on this for the rest of my life. I'll get you three for talking about Luminescence."

"Come on, Chrysy. I thought it was rather sweet." Pinkie Pie said.

"You're all --" Queen Chrysalis darted for the bathroom. She slammed the door behind her. The changeling shivered. After several moments, she came out of the bathroom. "Something isn't right with this place."

The ponies chuckled at the changeling who stumbled out of the bathroom. Apple Bloom latched onto Applejack's neck, embracing her in a heavy hug. The filly leapt off her big sister's back and moved towards Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.

After a nod from Princess Cadence, Twilight awoken, the group left the hospital. They proceeded down the street, chatting with one another. Crystal ponies smiled and waved at the group. Spike darted forward and grinned at the ponies.

"I don't know how safe we will be in the Crystal Kingdom. King Sombra seems to be so focused on Equestria that he's turned a blind eye towards us." Princess Cadence said. The doors to the crystal castle spire opened. In the dining room, she sat at the table with her friends. "We'll need to be at full strength to battle King Sombra, so, please, eat up. Before we start though, I would like to commend the efforts of every pony. Apple Bloom. Sweetie Belle. Scootaloo. The biggest thanks goes to all of you for your efforts in freeing Zecora and protecting me and my little one."

The Cutie Mark Crusaders grinned at the princess. The fillies cheered at one another. Applejack patted Apple Bloom on the head. Rainbow Dash rubbed Scootaloo's mane while Rarity gave a polite nod and gentle smile towards Sweetie Belle.

"Indeed. That cannot be debated. If it weren't for these three, I would be consumed by hatred." Zecora said. She rubbed a slow hoof against her chin. Her metal rings jingled. "That is rather odd. Something seems off. Something, or rather some pony that's flawed."

The ponies raised a curious eyebrow at their friend.

"Chrysalis!" Princess Cadence said. Her eyes widened. "You don't think she'd go after the crystal heart?"

The Cutie Mark Crusaders turned to one another. They bolted out the door with the others behind them and raced through the crystal castle spire. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo panted as they galloped towards the circle underneath the castle.

All of the ponies stopped. A dazed Queen Chrysalis crept towards the crystal heart. The changeling's eyes remained blank, along with her expression. Time appeared to freeze like the sun overhead. The changeling's hooves inched closer towards the magical item.

"Chrysalis, no! You'll destroy the kingdom." Princess Cadence said. She frowned. Her horn glowed in a fierce light. "I won't let you hurt my subjects!"

Queen Chrysalis let lose an ethereal wail as she latched onto the crystal heart. Bright magical light enveloped her. Dark, viscous liquid dripped from her hooves, and then vanished into nothingness. The glow around her grew brighter. Every pony in the vicinity shielded their eyes.

The light subsided and ponies lowered their hooves. They gazed on at a silhouette in front of them.

"Chrysy?" Pinkie Pie said, squinting at the pony that struggled to stand.

Majestic, ethereal wings unfurled from the pony's sides; they glistened in the light of the sun. The tall mare stood up and rubbed her eyes. Her flank hit the floor beneath her while she stared at her shaking hooves. "I'm. Free?"

"You have a lot of explaining to do, Queen Chrysalis. Why did you try to take the crystal heart?" Twilight said. Her eyes darted about, and then relaxed. "It looks like the crystal heart is alright."

"Yes, it's fine." Princess Cadence said. She turned towards the unknown pony, "What were you thinking?! If you destroyed the Crystal Heart, we would have lost our protection.

The now transformed pony held her hooves up to the light, and then placed them on the ground. She moved out of the circle and into the sunlight. Her eyes closed, the mare raised her head and smiled. "The sun feel so good, but I wish it were a happier time."

"Who are you?" Sweetie Belle said as she crept toward the pony.

The alicorn mare faced the ponies. She gave a deep bow to them before raising her head. "I am... well, I was known as Princess Che Desiderano Stella, guider and protector of the star ponies."

"This has to be a trick. There's no such princess." Twilight said.

"You will never hear of such a pony because of what transpired." The princess said. Her white mane flowed in the wind. She retracted her blue ethereal wings to her sides. "Star Swirl the Bearded made sure of it."

Twilight shook her head. "You're lying, Queen Chrysalis. You've just transformed into this, this alicorn lookalike, this facsimile to throw us off."

"Darling, maybe we should hear her out. If it were Queen Chrysalis, she would have attacked us long ago." Rarity said.

"If it will ease your concerns, I will allow myself to be bound in chains and brought under your judgment, Princess Cadence." The princess said.

*** *** ***

Several ears remained perked in the throne room. At the trial, the newly transformed princess perorated her tale to Princess Cadence and the others. Pinkie Pie tilted her head back and forth then scratched her mane. Applejack raised a curious eyebrow at the pony who sat bound in chains on the red carpet, green goo spread over the princess's face.

".... and that is my story from what I can remember." The princess said.

"This isn't possible." Princess Cadence said.

"I am so sorry, my child." The former changeling said. She lowered her head. "It doesn't make sense, yet the zebra's magically infused potion must provide you with some proof."

"It might be a hasty brew, but what it tells is true." Zecora said. She pointed at the princess bound in shackles, "If she were a changeling in disguise, she would be revealed to us, unable to hide."

"Princess Che Desiderano Stella?" Twilight said.

"Please, call me Princess Star." the princess said after a polite nod. The shackles around her floated away. The princess stretched her neck. "From the bottom of my heart, I cannot express to you Princess Cadence the regret over my shameful actions as Queen Chrysalis. The same goes to all of you. I did not realize my own spell would cause so much misery and sorrow. That was never my intent."

Princess Cadence placed two hooves over her face, and then pointed one at the alicorn in front of her. Her stern hoof quivered, "Y-Y-You're lying! I'm an orphan. Princess Celestia raised me. She would have told me about you."

Princess Star shook her head from side-to-side in a slow, fluid motion. "No my dear Mi Amore Cadenza. She wouldn't have known. The wish I made purged me from the memories of every pony in Equestria. This includes Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Star Swirl the Bearded pleaded with me to reconsider, but he knew the spell had already been cast. He aided my selfish request, and I made him immune to my wish magic before the full effects of the spell took hold of me. Every book, every tome, every scroll in Equestria with my name in it was to be purged from history. Though, from what I know about that stallion, he was quite the trickster. He may hidden the books in some secret library instead of destroying them like I asked."

Twilight placed her hooves together. She raised her right hoof and pointed it at the princess in front of her. After receiving a "yes" from Princess Star, the pony let loose a fury of questions. Each answer caused her eyes widened a bit more. At the last question, she placed two hooves over her mouth.

"Twilight?" Rarity said.

"Only Princess Celestia knew of Star Swirl's most private ideas, thoughts, and theories about magical research." Twilight said.

"And the only way I could know about it is if I were there?" Princess Star said. Her cutie mark flashed for a brief second. She placed a gentle hoof on her chest, "My cutie mark represent a powerful talent. I can fulfill the wishes of ponies. Though it is my choice in granting the wishes, the power is rather dangerous if misused."

"You wished yourself to forget the pain inflicted upon you by King Sombra, and in turn wished to be forgotten yourself." Princess Cadence said. She turned away from Princess Star. "Why?"

Princess Star sighed. The other ponies in the room shrugged at each other, Pinkie Pie wiping away a tear. Twilight crept toward Princess Cadence, placing a gentle wing over her back.

"I loved King Sombra dearly, and the stallion reciprocated those feelings. I do not know what started him down his dark path, but he pined for Princess Celestia. From what I can tell, he may have wanted Nightmare Star at his side to dominate the ponies of the Crystal Empire, and then Equestria." Princess Star said. She gazed at the ponies around her before facing Princess Cadence. "My jealousy grew to the point it consumed me, and I wished to forget the pain. It was only until I realized my foalish mistake that it was too late to undo what had been done. I am so, so sorry, my child."

"Don't call me that." Princess Cadence said.

"I used Star Swirl the Bearded's time spell -- combined with my own wish magic -- to send you to a place that you would be safe. I knew Princess Celestia would find you one way or another." Princess Star said.

Sweetie Belle crept forward. She smiled at Princess Star who smiled in return. "So, if you can grant wishes, why can't we just wish things to go back to the way they were?"

Princess Star shook her head. "Though my power is great, it is also dangerous. If you tamper with one event, that small change can lead to a cascade of unintended consequences. My poor star ponies are proof of that."

"The changelings?" Rarity said.

"Yes. I am connected to each of my little ponies I care for so dearly, akin to how Princess Cadence can feel the love of the crystal ponies around her." Princess Star said.

"So, only small wishes." Apple Bloom said.

"I didn't say that either. Wishing is a powerful magic, but it has to be precise." Princess Star winked at the filly. She stood up and illuminated her horn. "Pinkie Pie. What happens if you use salt instead of sugar in a cupcake recipe?"

Pinkie Pie shivered. "Eww. That's a crime against baking."

"Sorry. I will remember that in the future." The princess said, ending in a sly chuckle. "Anyways, what you end up with is a disaster. Like a wish, you must use the right ingredient, or rather, the right words to make the wish come about. Not to mention it takes a powerful heart behind the wish to make it come true."

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo stood silent. They turned to their friend.

Sweetie Belle scratched her chin. Her eyes lit up. She motioned towards her friends. Hushed whispers came from the group. Curious eyes followed Sweetie Belle as the filly approached Princess Star. In a firm tone she said, "I wish that you would grant my wish, the true wish I want, to bring Fluttershy here."

"Now, now." Princess Star said in a delicate tone. "I can't just grant a wish about granting a wish. Still," the princess smiled, "I do know what you want. Wish granted, my little filly. That's your one and only wish, by the way."

"What!" Sweetie Belle said.

"Gotcha," Princess Star said, ending with a sly wink. Her eyes glowed in a soft blue light. Her wings extended while she rose into the air. A powerful sphere of light grew from a small point. The brilliant light subsided. "There we go."

Discord hummed a slight tune while he poured a cup of tea. Fluttershy sat in a floating seat with Angel sitting in her lap. The chaotic god took a sip of his tea, raising the farthest talon on his eagle claw into the air.

"Eww..." Scootaloo said, brushing away the digit.

Fluttershy's eyes widened. "Twilight? Applejack? Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Rainbow Dash?"

Pinkie Pie leapt towards her friend and embraced her in a bear hug before letting her go.

"Princess Che Desiderano Stella." Discord said in a grumbling tone. "Here I thought you were gone forever."

"Gone, but not forgotten by you it seems." Princess Star said.

Discord stirred his tea. He groaned and faced the princess in front of him. After a clearing his throat, he glanced towards Twilight, "Before you raise your hoof and ask me, here is a quick rundown."

Images flew by in the ponies' minds, except Fluttershy's. The chaotic god yawned. A plate of biscuits floated towards him. He smiled at the yellow pegasus, and then snapped his eagle talon. All of the ponies shook their heads.

"Might wanna warn us about that, Discord." Applejack said. She rubbed her head, "Any pony catch that?"

Twilight shrugged at the group. Rarity stood up, wobbled, and collapsed to her hooves. Rainbow Dash flew into a wall before she fell to the ground, scratching her head with her right hoof.

"Ooo, it's like a spy movie. You went into hiding while keeping tabs on every pony. You're the one who caused Queen Chrysalis to go all wonky and touch the Crystal Heart." Pinkie Pie said.

Discord placed a firm paw on his face and dragged it down. "If you want to boil down an intricate plot of deception, subterfuge, dissension, and a delicious touch of chaotic magic, yes. It is 'like a spy movie,' Pinkie Pie. Also, yes. I decided a 'small' bit of intervention was in order. King Sombra has left me alone, but I know that stallion has powerful magical defense up in Canterlot. He's based them off Tirek's magical absorbing capabilities."

Princess Cadence shivered. She walked down the steps, and then bolted for the bathroom.

"What's wrong with my daughter?" Princess Star said.

"She umm... is..." Twilight said, rubbing a hoof against her neck.

"She's having a baby!" Pinkie Pie said. She shrugged at the others. "What? Not like I promised not to tell Princess Star."

Princess Star's eyes widened. She remained frozen in place. Pinkie Pie's waving hoof reflected off her eyes.

"I think she's broken." Rainbow Dash said.

"I'm going to be a grandmother?" Princess Star said. She opened her mouth, and then closed it.

Twilight nodded with a smile. "That makes you. My. mother-in-law..."

Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash snickered to each other.

"Not funny!" Twilight said.

Discord cleared his throat. He tapped a gavel on the table. "We'll adjourn for a short recess. I can hear those three fillies' stomachs rumbling from over here."

The Cutie Mark Crusaders gave a sheepish grin to the group. Princess Cadence came out of the bathroom. Twilight stood by the princess, looked into her eyes, shook her head, and then walked towards the dining room with her friends behind her. Princess Star stood silent in the throne room. She gazed at the crystal tapestries around her.

"I can never forgive you...."

Those five words resonated inside Princess Star's mind. Her tears glinted in the light of the sun before they soaked into the red carpet beneath her. The alicorn's lower lip quivered before she hung her head.

"Forgiveness is a tricky thing, Princess Star." Discord said. He stood over the princess. "You know all-too-well, like Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, how I was back then in the old days, how I tormented ponies."

"And now?" Princess Star said.

"It took two mistakes for me to realize what I had been missing. It's rather 'disgusting' to think about at times, but having a friend does make the world of difference. I believe your daughter will forgive you with time." Discord said. He snapped his talon, "Here."

"Discord!" Princess Star said, wiping the pie off her face. Her eyes focused on the box, "This is --"

"We'll call it a little welcome back present, Princess 'Wishing' Star. Something to remind you of what you have." Discord said. He walked off, "You ponies and your sentimentality. It's sickeningly sweet, I believe you once said."

"It sickened me as Queen Chrysalis. As my true self, it's a beautiful aroma. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world." Princess Star said, clutching the picture in her hooves.