• Published 13th Dec 2015
  • 409 Views, 11 Comments

Resurgence - DouglasTrotter



A defeated foe, now revived, seeks vengence on Equestria and those that call it home.

  • ...
 11
 409

Retribution

Soft thunder echoed from the Sweet Apple Acres Farm as the dark clouds rolled over Ponyville. A gentle drizzle landed on the castle's exterior, the cool drops of water sliding towards its base. Light from two succinct flashes of lightning beamed through the windows and illuminated illuminated the crystal tree castle's interior. As the light reflected off the walls and down the hallway, it reached an ajar door and soon faded to darkness with the door creaking in the slight wind that pushed against it.

Inside, the little ponies sat in front of a large jar. Their eyes examined the various pieces of the strange room before they turned their attention back towards the glass container in front of them. Several small bubbles coalesced inside the jar, eyes following the pockets of gas towards the liquid's surface. The bubbles burst, emitting a short, soft, faint light.

With the minor distraction over, the three fillies wandered the unusual room. One scratched her suave styled mane as she stared at a vial of viscous, purple colored liquid in a test tube rack. Another poked her hoof against a strange metal disc placed on the ground.

"So... what are we doin' again?" a soft voice said.

"Science!" Another voice said in a boisterous tone that reverberated throughout the room. The equine's jovial chuckle turned sinister laugh before she stopped and cleared her throat. She gave a sheepish grin to her guests, "Sorry, Apple Bloom. I'm just so excited."

"That wasn't creepy," Scootaloo said while she rolled her eyes.

" Uhh, Twilight? Are you sure this is safe?" Sweetie Belle said as she continued to gaze at the vial of liquid. "Didn't one of your little 'experiments' dissolve a table at the restaurant?"

Twilight stopped. She patted Sweetie Belle on the head. "What happened at the restaurant can be considered a 'slight' error. Besides," she grumbled, "a certain 'number 1 assistant,' who shall remain nameless, decided to put the vial into my saddlebag as Foal's Day prank."

Another flash of lightning illuminated the room. Several lights blinked on and off in random patterns on a machine in the corner. Several books lined a shelf with a rolling chalkboard stowed away in the corner.

Twilight gazed at the stack of papers on the table near her. She skimmed across several points of interest in the notes before illuminating her horn and floating a blue book floated off the shelf. The book placed on the table, Twilight retrieved another from her private library.

"Ah HA! I knew it! This 'thermodynamics' is tricky, but there is a method to the madness. I'll have to thank him for letting me borrows these books. They've helped out so much. " Twilight said. Lines of text reflected off her eyes in the dim light of the crystal candles on the walls. Her slight smile grew into an ecstatic grin. She placed the book down on the table, "I must say, this stallion, this 'Doctor' is quite brilliant if he can comprehend all this," Twilight sighed, "'stuff.'"

Several more sheets of paper floated off the 100page pile. Each sheet remained frozen in place while Twilight skimmed over their contents, front and back. A final sheet of paper pulled off the stack, a book levitated in front of her, the equine giggled to herself.

"This is it!" Twilight said. A red bound tome floated in the air near her, "Ethereal Symbiotic Properties and Phenomena."

"Huh?" Apple Bloom said.

"It's not a 'complete' book mind you, but it gives me a good idea of what I'm looking at right now. I can't believe I didn't realize all of it before. Though that stone was a meteorite, there is more to it than that as those crystals are quite special, more special than I realized." Twilight said. She pointed at where the stone once resided in her laboratory, and then pointed towards Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo, "They've actually 'merged' with your essences, thus becoming part of you. At this point, I can only make vague hypotheses about their true nature."

"Hy-poth-e-seize?" Scootaloo said before looking at Sweetie Belle, receiving a shrug in return. "Uhh, Twilight. What are you talking about exactly?"

"I'm so glad you asked." Twilight said. The chalkboard on wheels rolled into the laboratory. She pointed at the board where several mathematical formulas were scrawled out, along with several images. "From here --"

"Sorry Twilight, but can ya give us the short version." Apple Bloom said. She smiled, "Sorry."

Twilight shook her head and rolled her eyes, letting out an annoyed groan. The chalkboard rolled back into its place. "For a 'short version' as you would like to call it, I theorize all of this has something to do with your cutie marks, yourselves, or the fact you're all bound as 'Cutie Mark Crusaders.' One striking similarity is the fact that you all have images on top of shields, and this ultimately represents who you are at your core as protectors of cutie marks and wanting to assist those who have trouble with understanding their destinies."

Scootaloo shrugged at Sweetie Belle, and Apple Bloom scratched her mane.

"Ah think she means we absorbed the crystals cause of us being Cutie Mark Crusaders." Apple Bloom said, getting a polite nod from Twilight. She waved to her fellow crusaders and moved towards a small metal disc embedded into the floor. "You want us to stand here?"

Twilight gave a gentle smile towards the filly before she placed the book on the table. She faced the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Her eyes focused on Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo. A quiet sigh escaped resonated in the room before her horn began to glow in a purple light, an ethereal hum to follow. Twilight closed her eyes. She lifted her head.

"Ok," Twilight opened her eyes, "though they appear benign, I cannot ascertain the true nature of those crystals right now, and I do want to get those crystals out of you. There is no telling what they could do." she said. Beads of sweat formed along her forehead. The drops of water slid down her face like the rain flowing down the side of the castle. Several large drops coalesced on her chin then fell to the ground. After a quick "are you ready" to the fillies in front of her, receiving a determined "yes" in return, she unleashed a powerful bolt of energy. The purple bolt flew towards the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Twilight's right eye twitched. "What?! This... this... this isn't -- it defies all possible logic."

Soft light illuminated the room, reflecting off Twilight's eyes. Several quick gasps came from the other ponies in the room.

Sweetie Belle lowered her hoof and gazed at Apple Bloom, "How are you doing that?"

"A magic shield?" Apple Bloom opened her eyes. The crusader fell backwards, the shield disappearing. She wiped the sweat from her brow, her hooves wobbling beneath her. The filly grinned at Twilight, the purple pony's left eye still twitching. "Can't wait to show Aegis what I can do."

"Hey, wonder what I can do?" Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle said in unison.

Twilight came to her senses and rubbed her forehead, "Ok. Ok. No need to panic. You three have unknown, powerful, ethereal crystals connected to you that can absorb magic and does Celestia knows what else, but everything will be fine. It'll be fine...."
"Twilight. Darling," Rarity said with a creepy smile as she squinted at Twilight, "remind me. How did this all happen?"

The purple pony froze. Her sheepish grin disappeared. She backed away from Rarity.

"Ahem," Applejack said as Twilight bumped into her.

"Well," Rainbow Dash said.

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo walked towards Twilight. The three told the tale of what happened that fateful night Mr. Sine attacked them, and how their mission was a success.

"I said that I was sorry. Besides, if it weren't for that stone, all of us would have been defeated by Sine in his castle." Twilight said. She apologized once more, placing her hooves together. The pony relaxed as the Cutie Mark Crusaders remained at her side. "Thanks girls, but I should have known better. Some princess of friendship I am, putting her friends and family in danger. I should have refused Princess Luna's request."

Apple Bloom shook her head, "Naw, Twilight. You said it yourself. As the Cutie Mark Crusaders, we gotta help out a pony in need. It's just like all of you helpin to protect Equestria."

"Twilight? Are these here fillies gonna be alright?" Applejack said. She raised an eyebrow, "Twi, you best have a good answer. Ah ain't --"

The doors to the laboratory flung open. A blast of lightning illuminated the hallway, reflecting off two green eyes. Spike charged inside the room. "Twilight!"

"Geez Spike, way to scare us half to death here." Apple Bloom said.

"Sorry. Aren't you supposed to be keeping an eye on the time?" Spike said.

Pinkie Pie's ears perked up. She looked at the watch underneath her hooves, "I thought I was supposed to stand watch. Not watch the time."

Twilight's eyes widened. She levitated the watch out from under her friend, causing the pink pony to roll onto her back. "Tardy. Tardy. Tardy. Tardy. TARDY!"

Rarity sighed. She shook her head, and then rolled her eyes.

"Same old egghead," Rainbow Dash snickered, jabbing Applejack in the side.

"Fall Fling Festival" The cutie mark crusaders said in a unison voice.

Rarity walked towards the three fillies, "Now, now. Let's get you three ready, along with ourselves. We'll let Twilight get this out of her system."

*** *** ***

"Welcome one and all to the first ever, Fall Fling Festival." Twilight said with an elated smile as she stood on the podium. The pony looked over a crowd of mares, stallions, fillies, colts, and foals. "I hope you enjoy yourselves tonight as we head into Hearths Warming Eve month, giving us all a time of happiness."

"Woohoo!" Pinkie Pie said in a muffled tone while she scarfed down some food.

Several ponies glanced at the pink pony, and then turned back towards Twilight. The group gave an enthusiastic cheer before they began to mingle with one another.

Apple Bloom charged through the crowd with Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo behind her. She came to a stop near a dessert tray. Her outstretched hooves reached forward, and then found the tray pulled away by her big sister. The filly grumbled under a heated breath, but she soon gave the pink pony a sly wink along with her friends.

"I must say, this idea was quite refreshing." Rarity said. She wiped a tear from her eye with a quick hoof. "I can't believe Sweetie Belle is growing up."

Applejack placed her hat over her face, wiping away a tear. "Ya, same with Bloom. Feels like just yesterday me and Big Mac were watchin over her while she crawled around the farm house."

"Eeyup." Big Macintosh said as he passed by.

The six ponies chuckled at each other. Their banter ceased. They turned towards a crowd of ponies that let out several "ooo's" and "ahh's" and began to part.

"This is a wonderful event, Twilight. I'm quite pleased with how you've prepared everything." Princess Celestia approached the six ponies. She gave a polite smile to them. The princess turned towards Rarity, "Thank you again for the lovely attire. I'm sorry that it came at such short notice, and you had to put a rush job in for the sake of me and my sister."

An elated grin greeted Princess Celestia. Rarity remained silent. Princess Celestia gave a sheepish grin in return, waving a hoof in front of the unicorn.

"Did you break her?" Princess Luna said, scratching her chin with her hoof. She chuckled as her sister blushed at the comment. "I have to concur with my sister. This outfit is rather splendid."

"Twily, how's it goin?" A familiar voice said.

Twilight latched onto Shining Armor, and then released him. "I thought you couldn't make it."

"I'm always here for my little sis. Besides, me and Cadence wanted to make sure your little event went off without a hitch." Shining Armor said, ending with a sly wink to the pony at his side.

"Definitely. I can't wait to introduce this holiday to the Crystal Kingdom. Things have been quite stale as of late." Princess Cadence said.

Rainbow Dash bolted behind a tree. She motioned to Scootaloo as the others began to chat. Her eyes glanced at each area of the Canterlot Garden. The athletic pony gave a devilish grin to the filly that approached her.

"Rainbow Dash. You weren't about to play a prank, were you? This is Twilight's big event." Fluttershy said, floating above her two friends. "We've got to respect her big night."

The athletic pony rolled her eyes at the pegasus, "O come on, Fluttershy. It's soooooo uptight here. We weren't gonna pull anything huge. Look, before you say it, I do remember what happened with Pinkie Pie's little prank war when we visited Canterlot last week. It won't be anything big. Lighten up a little."

"I don't know," Scootaloo looked towards the crowd then back towards Rainbow Dash, "if this is a good idea. I mean, Twilight did put a lot of effort into this party. Still, it is getting a bit boring."

The two ponies snickered at each other while Fluttershy looked on with her hooves crossed, floating in front of the two. Fluttershy's eyes widened. She grabbed the spider, petted its head, and placed the arachnid on the ground. The pony pointed a stern hoof towards the party.

"Don't but me. You're the element of loyalty. You should be setting an example for Scootaloo." Fluttershy said.

"Fine. Come on squirt. There's gotta be something else." Rainbow Dash said.

*** *** ***

The party continued on with the sun setting in the distance and the moon rising. Stars twinkled in the night sky. Gentle light from lit lamps along the Canterlot Garden's pathway illuminated the spacious party. Under the stars, the soiree continued with more guests arriving.
Twilight gazed at the party. She wiped a small bead of sweat from her forehead while Princess Celestia stood at her side. "I can't believe this went so well."

"It has gone rather nicely, my faithful student." Princess Celestia said, placing a kind wing over Twilight. She retracted her wing. A tear ran down her cheek, glinting in the light of the moon. "It's wonderful to have my sister back with me. All those years, I can't fathom how she -- Luna..."

Princess Luna pulled Big Macintosh into the dance ring. Pinkie Pie hollered at the two, cheering them on. The guardian of the night smiled at the stallion while he blushed in return.

Princess Celestia chuckled at Princess Luna. The slice of cake that levitated in front of her fell to the ground. "It. Can't be."

The music stopped. Ponies gasped. Their hooves quivered beneath them.

"King Sombra?" The nine ponies near Princess Celestia said in a unison voice.

The unicorn stallion rose from a pool of coalesced shadows. Alongside him materialized an army of changeling warriors. In the crowd, several ponies removed their disguise.

"Hello, Princess Celestia." King Sombra smirked. He glanced at the decoration. His eyes focused, "I see. It appears my 'subordinate,'" the unicorn stallion pulled Queen Chrysalis into the open, "was telling the truth. There is a new princess in Equestria."

Twilight glanced towards Queen Chrysalis, and then back towards King Sombra. " Spike and Princess Cadence dealt with you. How are you back in Equestria?"

"Nothing is ever certain, you foalish little alicorn. Nor is anything what it appears to be. Isn't that right, 'Princess' Celestia." King Sombra ended with a quick and sinister laugh. He marched towards the ruler of Equestria. "O, if only they knew the truth like I know it."

Twilight raised an eyebrow, along with her friends. She moved in front of Princess Celestia who appeared frozen in place. The purple pony flew backwards, repulsing a wave of coalesced magical energy.

"What have you done, Queen Chrysalis!" Princess Celestia, the red gem embedded in King Sombra's horn reflecting off her eyes. "Sombra, please. You don't know --"

"Wrong! I know of this amulet's power. Don't you remember? I was the one who made it, per 'your' instructions. The same can be said of when my former self made the stone that sits in your neckpiece." King Sombra said as he pointed at Princess Celestia. His horn aglow in a fierce light, the unicorn stallion unleashed a powerful blast of energy. "Impressive. You've gotten stronger."

Shining Armor panted in a heavy breath. He marched toward the stallion. His eyes glanced at Queen Chrysalis before focusing back onto the enemy before him. Tense, silent moments passed by while the two stallions stared down one another.

"You need to learn your place, peasant." King Sombra said, leaping away.

"No!" Shining Armor screamed.

A bolt of energy flew towards Princess Cadence.

"What?!" King Sombra said.

"Phew, that was a close one." Apple Bloom said. She smiled at Princess Cadence who looked at the filly with a raised eyebrow. "Ah guess me and the others got some explaining to do."

King Sombra launched several more bolts of pure magic towards the pregnant alicorn, all being absorbed by the magical shield.

"Aegis!" Sweetie Belle said, hugging the hoof of her friend.

"Who is this unicorn?" Aegis said.

"Enough of this." King Sombra said. Several tendrils launched forth from his shadow, constricted the magical shields placed around the ponies. He snarled as Apple Bloom's shield remained intact. "Do it, Princess Celestia. Do it and I shall release them. You have my word."

The ruler of Equestria bit down on her lip, and then sighed. She opened her eyes, "Please. Don't hurt my little ponies."

Twilight darted towards Princess Celestia, but found herself pushed away.

"I'm sorry Twilight. There were some secrets, dark secrets I hoped you never had to learn about me." Princess Celestia said. She placed a hoof over her chest piece. A soft glow enveloped her horn. The peaceful glow grew violent with sparks of magic dripping from her horn. "From thy keep, from thy slumber thou art released and awakened. In the name of Helios, I unchain thee. Nightmare Star!"

Seven flames erupted beneath the alicorn. A pillar of fire rose up toward the sky and engulfed her. The moon froze in place. Princess Celestia's multi-colored mane and tail turned a vibrant hue of orange and red. Her once peaceful gaze grew violent with a slight fiery breath coming from her mouth with each breath she exhaled.

Princess Luna's jaw dropped. She shook her head. The nightly guardian reinforced her shield. "Protect them, Aegis! I will do my best over here."

Aegis nodded to the mare. The pony reinforced her shield with the others doing the same.

King Sombra's eyes widened, and he produced his own bulwark just as the blazing inferno engulfed the area. The unicorn stallion grinned, "Well done, Nightmare Star. Your power leaves me tingling."

"Princess Celestia, please. Don't do this." Twilight said. She gazed at her reflection in the eyes of the mare who towered above her. "Please."

"No." Nightmare Star said.

"Twilight, RUN! Get your friends out of here." Princess Luna said.

The pony's tear vaporized in the heat as she struggled to illuminate her horn. A brilliant flash of light enveloped the area with Nightmare Star standing near King Sombra, a terrified Queen Chrysalis, and the changeling army.

Queen Chrysalis looked on. She watched King Sombra bow to Nightmare Star, giving the alicorn a gentle peck on the cheek.

"Subordinate!" King Sombra yelled at Queen Chrysalis, "You will find those ponies. You will track them down. You will bring them before me. As of now, per the rule of Nightmare Star and myself, they are traitors to this kingdom."

The deposed changeling ruler looked at her reflection in the alicorn's fierce eyes. "Sombra, she will turn your kingdom to ash," the changeling queen fell to the ground and clutched the collar around her neck" Y-you. You know it."

"Nightmare Star has my utmost trust, unlike a conniving freak such as yourself." King Sombra said. He marched towards Queen Chrysalis. He pointed a stern hoof at her, "You will do as you are told. Now. Bring them to me. Or do you need to be replaced?"

"..." Queen Chrysalis stood up. She bowed, "As you wish."

"Thus dawns the arrival of the Coronal Empire and its Facular capital!" King Sombra said in a guttural tone. His boisterous voice resonated in the once jovial scene. Banners from the once jovial party turned to ash, wisps of smoke coming from what remained of their smoldering remains. The unicorn stallion reveled in the voices of adulation that erupted from the changeling army that stood behind him. He turned and faced them, "Bask in the accomplishments of your King -- no. Your Emperor! My army, go forth and gather those still in the former capital of that once disgustingly lavish land. All who do not heed the will of Nightmare Star and myself shall see the light and serve us, or they will be purged."