• Published 13th Dec 2015
  • 409 Views, 11 Comments

Resurgence - DouglasTrotter



A defeated foe, now revived, seeks vengence on Equestria and those that call it home.

  • ...
 11
 409

Subterfuge

The main interior hall of the crystal castle brightened for a brief second, and then grew dark. Several ponies lay scattered about the floor of the room, some of them rising to their hooves. The equines glanced at each other. They breathed a heavy sigh of relief before assisting the injured.

Spike rubbed his claws together as he fought back his tears. The little dragon walked alongside Princess Luna. His eyes remained glued on the pony that levitated in the alicorn's magical grasp. The two arrived at Twilight's bedroom where Spike sat by the side of his family. No longer able to hold back the tears, he grabbed a small bit of tissue and wiped his eyes. The little dragon buried his head into his propped up knees. In a quiet, muffled voice he said, "What happened?"

Twilight's bedroom remained silent. Apple Bloom rested on Applejack's back before being placed into a spare bed. Princess Cadence floated Shining Armor into the spare bed next to Twilight. She stat by his side where a kind, gentle wing was placed over her withers.

"Thanks," Princess Cadence said.

Princess Luna nodded to the tearful pony. The guardian of the night sighed, glancing over the room in front of her.

"It ain't good, Spike." Applejack said as she stepped forward, lowering her head. The pony removed her hat. Her eyes looked over her friend who lay unconscious in the bed. "Twilight and her brother, they tried their best to protect us. King Sombra is back, and he did something to Princess Celestia. She's an enemy now, callin' herself 'Nightmare Star' or somethin'."

Spike clenched his claws. He extended a single digit. The little dragon targeted the pony, "You're lying. Princess Celestia would never hurt Twilight or any pony for that matter. I refuse to believe it."

"Spike. I share in your grief. Like you, I am angry at the situation that has transpired, but we cannot succum to King Sombra's hatred. If we fight amongst ourselves, he will not have to lift a single hoof to destroy us." Princess Luna said. She placed a calm, gentle wing over the little dragon. "I'm sorry, but what Applejack says is the truth. My sister is now the enemy, and I dare say she is a fearsome opponent, one King Sombra will underestimate."

Apple Bloom glanced at the ceiling while she lay in the bed adjacent to Twilight and Shining Armor. Her eye lids crept open and closed several times. The filly placed a hoof over her eyes. She slammed her hoof against the soft mattress beneath her.

"Do not think of this as failure, Apple Bloom. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you for the great deed you did in protecting me. The same goes for you too, Aegis." Princess Cadence said. She motioned towards the pony, "It's alright. Princess Luna filled me in on the situation. In all honesty, you could be considered Shiny's little sister, and a part of our family."

A tall mare poked her head inside the room, and then smiled at Princess Cadence. She hid behind the door. The pony moved forward on nervous hooves from behind the door. A dim light enveloped the mare before she turned into her filly self. Aegis maintained her gentle smile towards the princess who smiled in return towards her. After a brief moment, the filly hugged the tall pony in front of her before she turned toward Shining Armor.

Several bolts of lightning struck nearby with the once peaceful storm's ferocity growing. Water cascaded down the side of the castle. The wind howled outside. It blew through several open windows before they were shut. An exasperated sigh escaped the little dragon's lips before he jogged to the castle's front door.

"Help!" Spike ran towards the bedroom. He pointed at the hallway and ran towards the castle entrance with several ponies behind him. "Zecora's collapsed outside!"

Pinkie Pie helped Zecora to her hooves and escorted the zebra to the bedroom where Fluttershy applied several fresh bandages.

"My friends. I am sorry. This is my fault, in the end." Zecora said. Her hooded cloak lay off to the bed's side, along with her saddlebag. She found herself pushed back by a soft hoof. The Zebra sat back up, shaking her head at Fluttershy. "What they wanted was unknown to me, and it is only now that I can see. They took the item from its spot. It was the alicorn amulet that they sought."

"A little late for that info," Rainbow Dash said.

"Again, I am sorry for what has transpired, my friends. I will do whatever I can to make things right in the end." Zecora said.

Princess Luna nodded to Zecora before she left the room. Applejack and Pinkie Pie saw to Zecora, alongside Fluttershy. Spike and Rarity attended Twilight where Rarity levitated a cool cloth over her friend's head. Princess Cadence and Aegis looked after Shining Armor, the mother to be alicorn consoling herself and Aegis.

Apple Bloom rubbed her forehead. She slid off the bed. With Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo at her side, the Cutie Mark Crusaders surreptitiously walked by the three small groups of ponies. They followed behind Princess Luna.

*** *** ***

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle helped Apple Bloom up once more as they continued their slow pursuit of Princess Luna. Inside the laboratory, they watched Princess Luna stoke a careful fire in the crystal fireplace. The four equines gazed out the window to see the rainstorm continuing its deluge outside.

"So," Apple Bloom rubbed a slight hoof against her neck, "what do we do now?"

Princess Luna turned towards the Cutie Mark Crusaders. She remained silent. The poker in her hoof crept towards the fire, pushing against the logs in the fire. The princess faced the fire and pushed it several more times. With a delicate hoof, the mare placed the poker aside. She stood up and faced the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Her eyes matched her melancholic tone, "There are secrets, dark secrets that are kept from Equestria and those we protect. To 'cut to the chase' as it were, I believe my sister kept Nightmare Star a secret from me just as I kept Nightmare Moon a secret from her until it was too late. It's only now that part of her came to light."

Sweetie Belle rubbed a slow hoof across her chin. She stopped. A slight smile came to her, "This is nothing. Our sisters and Twilight can use the power of harmony to defeat King Sombra and turn Nightmare Star back into Princess Celestia."

The princess shook her head, "That is apples and oranges, I'm sad to say. The power worked against Tirek because of his nature. The Elements of Harmony worked against me, and helped rid me of that darker side. Nightmare Star is different somehow. I don't know why, but there is something much, much deeper to all of this. I can sense it."

"What did King Sombra mean by all that stuff saying he created that gem?" Scootaloo said.

"Again, I wish that I could tell you the answer. The only one who would know is my sister." Princess Luna said.

The room fell silent. Outside, the rain ceased. Beams of light gleamed into the castle.

"No." Princess Luna said. She flew towards a window and gazed outside. The princess's withers shivered before she came down. "It should be midnight. If the day lasts forever, the harm it does could be irreparable."

"Huh?" Scootaloo said.

Princess Luna pointed towards a small plant, making it wither into nothingness."Without balance, without the night to cool the land our food will be destroyed. Equestria will sizzle under the sun's rays as it remains at its apex."

The Cutie Mark Crusaders looked at each other. They nodded to one another then faced Princess Luna.

Apple Bloom collapsed to the ground. She clutched her stomach. Her groans reverberated throughout the quiet room.

"Bloom?!" Applejack said as she came into the room. "We gotta get ya back into bed. You're still hurt from. Using -- Scootaloo? Sweetie Belle? What's wrong?!"

Rarity and Rainbow Dash bolted into the room as Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo fell to the ground. The two ponies watched the fillies twitching on the ground. Apple Bloom's once isolated groan grew contagious as Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle clutched onto their stomachs. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo closed their eyes.

Princess Luna levitated the three ponies towards her, and then produced a strong ethereal shield. The dark blue shield remained unphased in the brilliant flash of light that blasted throughout the castle.

"Scootaloo!" Rainbow Dash said, slamming into the shield.

"Sweetie Belle." Rarity said, her eyes glued to the now smoke filled room.

The princess lowered her shield. Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash bolted towards the fillies. They stopped. Applejack lowered her Stetson hat. Rarity placed a hoof over her mouth. Rainbow Dash's eyes widened.

"What in the world?" Apple Bloom said. She stood up. "Sweetie Belle? Where'd ya get that armor?"

"I'm not the only one," Sweetie Belle said, pointing at a mirror in the corner. "Scootaloo. Your wings. They're beautiful."

"Sweet Celestia, not to mention large." Rainbow Dash said.

Scootaloo tiled her head. She extended a wing. Her eyes remained glued to the semi-transparent, ethereal wing she extended from her side. The filly gazed at herself in the mirror, "My wings are huge. How can I even fly with these things?"

"This can't be right." Sweetie Belle said. Her eyes glanced at armor that ran along her horn. "What's going on?"

Princess Luna looked at the three fillies. In a concerned tone she said, "It could be due to the crystals Twilight spoke of. Perhaps they have a manifested will that corresponds to the desires of those who wield them. Apple Bloom's desire to protect Princess Cadence goes in line with the shield she seems able to produce."

"Whoa Squirt," Rainbow Dash flew towards Scootaloo, giving the pony a smile. The athletic pony looked over the filly before giving an ecstatic grin. "You'd give Princess Celestia a run for her bits with those wings... sorry."

"It is alright. My sister would laugh at the joke, and we need a bit of joviality to lighten this rather dark mood." Princess Luna said.

Curious eyes gazed out the castle windows to see a bright day greeting Ponyville. Several mares, stallions, fillies, and colts went about their business. Canterlot remained a speck on the distant mountain, its image untouched thus far.

"Is Twilight up?" Scootaloo said. She floated towards the ground. Her slight smile faded into a frown with her overgrown, ethereal wings flopping to the ground. "What are we gonna do? This is way out of our league. All we need now is King Sombra to unleash Tartarus."

"What did you say?" Princess Luna said.

"Just that we have some bad luck." Scootaloo said.

"No, you said Tartarus." Princess Luna said.

"Yea. Our luck is rotten. I wouldn't be surprised if Sombra unleashed Tartarus." Scootaloo said.

Princess Luna rubbed a hoof against her chin. She shook her head, "Your fears may be justified, Scootaloo. The longer the Alicorn Amulet remains in King Sombra's possession, the more powerful he becomes. Equestria could be doomed if King Sombra can unleash the gates of Tartarus and enlist the enemies that have been locked away for a millennia."

Rainbow Dash pointed her hoof at Princess Luna, "I don't know about you, but I'm not ready to give up yet, Princess. We may not have a necklaces anymore, but we're still the elements of harmony. I'm sure these Crusaders right here aren't willing to go down easily either. Right, Squirt."

"Right," Scootaloo said.

Princess Luna nodded to the group.

"Welp, ya'll are gonna get a taste of the big life now, little sis. Just stick close. " Applejack said.

"I think that goes without saying, darling. I'm not letting that brute of a unicorn harm my little sister. Still, we'll need all the help we can get to bring things under control." Rarity said.

"So, what's our move?" Apple Bloom said.

Princess Luna pulled the wheeled chalkboard out. Several clicks resonated in the room with the chalk pecking against the black board. The clock in the corner continued to tick by.

"It has been some time since I formulated battle plans and stratagem. Be warned, whenever I played chess against my sister, she came out the victory most of the time, if not all the time." Princess Luna said. She tapped a hoof against the board. "The drawing is crude, but this represents Canterlot Castle. We will proceed inside through the tunnels underneath it. After that, we will make our way to the throne room where I am sure King Sombra and my sister are now residing. If you six can use your power to contend with my sister, I am sure the Crusaders can use theirs to subdue King Sombra. When the others have recovered, we will make haste."

*** *** ***

Light hoof steps echoed off the rock walls in the dark tunnel. Several sets of eyes remained glued to the pony in front that took the lead. In rows of two, the group proceeded forward on cautious hooves. Apple Bloom slumbered on Applejack's back. Scootaloo rested on Rainbow Dash's back with Sweetie Belle on Rarity's back. The three ponies gave the fillies on their backs a look ever-so-often before they faced the cave in front of them.

A slight sigh escaped a pony before she came to a stop. She found herself tugged along by a slight magical force.

"Remind me again, Pink. Why did you have these?" Applejack said, tugging on the straps to her night vision goggles.

"Well duh. You can't have a spy party without spy stuff. I had the whole thing planned out too. It would have been fun a fun, fun." Pinkie Pie said. She grumbled under a heavy breath. "Stupid party ruining King Sombra ruined it. I wanted the whole party to be one huge surprise for Dash's Birthday. Guess I'll have to go through my files again."

Princess Luna placed a hoof to her mouth. Pinkie Pie gave a sheepish grin in return, zipping her lips shut. The rest of the group went silent. Precious minutes ticked by. The equines continued down the path and into the darkness while beads of sweat rolled down Princess Luna's forehead, dripping onto the path below.

"It's difficult to control my magic and form this barrier." Princess Luna said. She adjusted her goggles, letting out an exasperated sigh.

"I can help." Twilight said.

"No. My sister is a cunning mare, and I'm sure that she is scanning for magical anomalies right now." Princess Luna said. She stopped. The mare lowered her head. "Sister. You always said that I could come to you in my time of need. Did you not feel the same? Why didn't you tell me about Nightmare Star?"

"It'll be alright, 'Aunt' Luna." Twilight said.

Princess Luna smirked. "Right. I had almost forgotten about Princess Cadence. For her sake, we must succeed."

The group continued onward down the path, and then stopped. Three separate paths branched outward. Before the seven ponies stepped forward, Princess Luna held out her hoof. She took a deep breath.

"That's odd. I thought you whistled for a second." Fluttershy said.

"Very perceptive. I did whistle. I just hope 'they' hear it." Princess Luna said.

"Who's they? Twilight said. A cold chill crawled up her back. She turned behind her to see the others gazing at the ceiling. Her hoof plunged into her mouth. The pony bit down on her hoof. In a stifled voice she said, "Bats."

Rainbow Dash shook her head. She poked Scootaloo, rousting the filly from her slumber. The athletic pony reassured her passenger and placed the pony on the ground.

Aegis stepped forward and smiled. She removed her goggles and assumed her bat pony form. The tall pony found herself greeted by several clicks from the ponies perched in the cave's ceiling, others scratching their heads.

"They're saying hello," Aegis said with a smile. She turned her smile toward Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle who rubbed their eyes. The pony maintained her smile while the two fillies gazed on in awe at the sight of the sparkling crystals in the cave. "We've made it."

"My loyal subjects, I am sorry to disturb your rest. We need assistance," Princess Luna said. She closed her eyes and removed the goggles. The alicorn mare stood firm. A bright aura surrounded her horn. Brilliant light came from her eyes as ethereal tendrils latched onto multiple crystals. Princess Luna gave a polite bow to the equines before she faced them. "Welcome to 'urbem inclinentur umbrae,' residing below Canterlot, the home of our nocturnal allies."

Aegis nodded before she grinned at the ponies coming down from their homes. She held out her hooves, "Skia."

"Aegis," The little colt said. He leapt up to his friend and found himself embraced by her hooves and wings. "I heard what you did at the party. It was so awesome."

"I'm sorry about the wing. Does it still hurt?" Aegis said, placing the colt on the ground. She turned to one side and scratched the ground with her hoof. "I didn't mean for use to get lost."

"Bah, don't think about it. You saved me from those crystal monsters, remember. Besides, if it weren't for me, we wouldn't have gotten into that mess." Skia said. He glanced at the three fillies and frowned. "Who are they?"

"The Cutie Mark Crusaders." Aegis said.

Skia's mouth dropped. He gazed at their cutie marks. The colt's injured hoof rose and saluted the fillies before he brought it back down, clutching it.

"A little formal there," Apple Bloom said. She extended her hoof and shook the bat pony's hoof. "I'm Apple Bloom. This here is Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle."

Skia flinched. He nodded to the group, giving a hearty grin. The little colt thanked the group for saving his new found friend from the stallion.

The guardian of the night held her hoof out once more and shushed the ponies. She moved forward.

Two green eyes pierced the dim light of the cave. Their owner floated into the air. The equine dropped to the ground, and then extended a massive set of bat-like wings. Pearl white fangs greeted the group.

"That's enough, shade." Princess Luna said. She pointed a hoof at the pony who signed. "Now is not the time for trickery."

"Sorry, Princess Luna." Shade said. The bat pony bowed to the group then raised her head. "I am the governing body of the bat ponies when Princess Luna is in Canterlot. Things must be quite dire for you to bring the 'prophesied' ones down here."

"Huh?" Twilight said.

Princess Luna faced the group, "I've spoken of your tales to the bat ponies, how the elements of harmony rescued me. Aegis has told her own tale of the sisters of harmony, and how these three fillies saved her from an evil stallion."

"Quickly. We'll go inside my house where we can talk." Shade said.

*** *** ***

Pinkie Pie glanced at each object in the house. Rarity marveled at the tapestries of the moderately sized dwelling while Applejack scratched her head as she looked at a small potted apple tree in the corner. The group pressed forward with the stragglers catching up. Twilight's wings twitched at her sides when the ponies walked passed a quaint library, giving a slight sigh when the door closed shut while being locked.

"Princess Luna, I have assembled the requested materials." Shade said.

The princess nodded to the bat pony mare. Princess Luna faced the others. In a calm tone she said, "Our first mission is gaining access to the castle. We will have to go ahead, unaided by magic. As I said, I fear my sister is searching for us. She could very well know we are already here, but that is a risk that must be taken to rid her of Nightmare Star."

Skia motioned to Aegis and the three fillies. The tall bat pony resumed her filly sized self and joined her friends.

"You don't look so good?" Scootaloo said.

"Skia isn't well. He's been sick for some time." Aegis said. She clutched onto her friend before turning back towards the Cutie Mark Crusaders. "We were searching for a rare herb in the caves that could supposedly cure his illness completely. I'm just thankful that Princess Luna knows about it, and she's been giving him nightly treatments under the moonlight."

"What kinda treatments?" Apple Bloom said.

"I don't know, to be honest. I just know that he's been sick for as long as he can remember. It has to do with the bat ponies being born in the cave, and only moonlight helps them with the illness." Aegis said.

Skia shook his head, "It's more than that, but, listen... there's something I need too --"

Princess Luna came into the room. She placed a gentle hoof over the colt's back and examined him. "My dear little one, I am sorry that your treatment cannot be performed tonight. Still, I know that you will remain strong. I will fix the dire situation for you and the others."

Several bags of supplies remained on the table when the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Aegis joined the others. Ropes and pickaxes lay on the table as well. Shade pointed towards the rock face and pushed on a stool. The rock face slid down. A slight wind brushed against the group's manes.

One-by-one the group filed into the secret passageway with Shade in the lead.

"We'll have to be cautious. From the commotion, I believe the guards are on watch, 24/7. If not, then there is something wrong." Shade said.

Princess Luna nodded to the mare, reaffirming her decision to lay low during the events at the party. The princess checked on the fillies behind her, and then the others. Soon, exasperating minutes ticked by while the group marched forward.

A large, cavernous room came into view with crystal spikes reaching towards the sky. Inside, a mine cart and several pieces of broken tracks stretched throughout the area. Twilight rubbed her hoof against the rusted metal. The pony made a silent gesture to herself before she proceeded forward with her friends.

The group stopped at a large crevice in front of them. Aegis resumed her bat-pony form. With the aid of Shade, the ponies who could fly assisted those who could not. On the other side, the ponies crept forward, and then stopped.

The guardian of the night peered through a small hole. She let out a sigh and pressed against the rock face to see it open into a dark dungeon. Princess Luna motioned towards the others who moved inside.

Unicorn, Pegasi, and Earth pony stallions patrolled the area. Determined eyes fixated on specific spots in the room.

"What happened to their armor?" Rarity said.

"You're concerned about fashion at a time like this?" Rainbow Dash whispered in return.

"One must always be concerned about fashion, but I'm more worried about that armor not being the usual style. It's ebony colored with a red stone in the center and a dark sun emblem etched into its face. Not to mention those guards are a little off." Rarity said.

Princess Luna nodded in return. "This has to be King Sombra's doing. Those stallions are some of my sister's closest friends, and yet they look ready to turn on any pony at a moment's notice. I do not like this at all."

"What do we do, Princess Luna?" Aegis said.

"We have to move forward. I can't risk using my magic. The same goes for Twilight and Rarity. Still..." Princess Luna said.

The guard stood at attention near the door to the upper level of Canterlot Castle. He glanced at the corridor below him. Inside the sconce near the hallway, shadows flickered into existence then faded away in an instant. The stallion illuminated his horn and leapt down to the area below.

"Show yourselves!" The stallion said. His hooves gave way as he collapsed to the ground. "Nightmare --"

"Wow, Aegis. How did you knock him out?" Sweetie Belle said. She smiled at the bat pony who blushed at her. "That was neat."

"I'm not fond of that trick, but I can envelop a pony in my shield. It'll drain away their energy, rendering them unconscious for a small period of time." Aegis said.

Princess Luna pointed towards the staircase that lead into the castle. The group of ponies followed behind, keeping their heads down.

*** *** ***

The ponies filed out of the door before it was closed silently. The group crept along the rose colored carpet. They soon found themselves in front of the throne room doors where Princess Luna let out a heavy sigh. She pushed against the door.

"..." Princess Luna remained silent as she scanned the room. The alicorn charged inside. "Where are they?"

"This is the throne room." Twilight said.

The door behind the group slammed shut. Dark, ethereal flames erupted from the ground.

"Well now, I didn't expect you to surrender so easily. Where was this masterful plan that I had heard of?" King Sombra materialized in front of the group that stood before him. He motioned toward Twilight and grinned at the pony that stepped towards him. "You've earned your keep, my servant."

"Don't call me that," Twilight said. Green flames consumed her form. Queen Chrysalis stood firm, tugging at the collar around her neck. "Release me. I've done as you commanded."

"All good dogs need a collar, and yours is quite pretty the way it goes with your neck." King Sombra said.

"Guys!" A voice said. Twilight burst into the room, gazing at Queen Chrysalis and King Sombra. "No..."

"When did it happen?" Princess Luna said.

King Sombra grinned. "Just after the party. The one at your side is the real one, I won't lie about that. But the one who went with you throughout the underground caverns, that was my spy. Not to mention..."

Shade stepped forward. She glanced to one side while Princess Luna clenched her teeth. "Your treatments only prolong the inevitable, my princess. Please, please understand that I need a 'cure' for him. I don't want to lose my son."

"You shall have your reward, as promised. Now, how about a family reunion." King Sombra said.

The air in the room began to ripple. Small, calm, candle-like flames faded into existence. They coalesced. A column of raging fire spun around in the room before it formed into a perfect sphere. The fireball dispersed; it's embers floated into the air before being snuffed out.

Nightmare Star floated in the air on fiery wings. She glared at the ponies beneath here. The mare's intense gaze turned toward King Sombra. Nightmare Star floated towards him. Her eyes glanced towards the stallion before she bolted forward in a flash.

A rush of hot air blew past the ponies as the mare stood firm, the unnerved stares of the ponies in front of her reflecting off her malefic stare. The mare smiled. "It feels good to stretch my wings. My 'real' wings. Why not let go, my sister. Resume the form you were revered for, the one that caused those around you fear and terror."

"Remember who you are, my dear sister. You are Princess Celestia, the kind, wise ruler of Equestria. Return to us and help to end King Sombra and end his --" Princess Luna said.

Aegis bolted forward. She raised her hooves. The tall bat pony stood in front of Princess Luna. Her ethereal, anti-magic shield cracked from the force of the fiery blast that shattered the stained glass windows in the throne room.

King Sombra lowered his own shield, Queen Chrysalis hiding behind the unicorn stallion.

"All those who oppose this Facular empire shall be incinerated!" Nightmare Star said. Her strong hoof rammed against the bat pony's ethereal shield, causing it to crack further. She squinted. "My former sister, it is only out of respect that I hold back. You're the one who needs to let go. Embrace your former self and become the dark one who terrorizes those who slumber!"

King Sombra's eyes widened as Princess Luna shook her head. His horn glowed in a powerful, blinding red light. The unicorn stallion's shield enveloped Nightmare Star. Sparks dripped forth from his horn as he contained the fiery blast.

"I want this capital to still be standing, Nightmare Star!" King Sombra said.

Twilight crept forward. Her eyes reflected off the mare that towered above her. She slammed against the back wall, collapsing after the hit from Nightmare Star.

"Now!" Princess Luna said. She pointed at the Cutie Mark Crusaders, "Restrain King Sombra!"

"Right!" The fillies said. They steadied themselves. Their armor materialized and surrounded them. "We're gonna stop you."

A red bolt of energy flew forward. Apple Bloom held out her hooves. The bolt of energy dissipated as it struck the shield in front of Apple Bloom's outstretched hooves. She focused her sight on King Sombra.

Scootaloo winced. Ethereal wings shot from her sides. The filly rocketed into the air. She propelled herself forward. Her armored hoof slammed into King Sombra's cheek.

Sweetie Belle illuminated her horn. In a delicate voice, she hummed a slight tune. An aura enveloped the unicorn stallion. His hooves gave way. He collapsed to the ground.

Twilight gazed on in awe before she joined her friends. The pony illuminated her horn while Princess Luna and Aegis held Nightmare Star at bay.

King Sombra chuckled. His sinister laugh resounded throughout the throne room. "You're so naive. It will be your undoing."

The unicorn stallion liquefied into a shadow. Coalesced, shadowy tendrils latched onto the six ponies before three more latched onto the fillies. Six ponies were flung away with three fillies floating in front of a pair of dark, malefic eyes.

King Sombra snickered. He shook the fillies before flinging them against the wall.

"Thanks Aegis." Scootaloo said as she and the others were let down gently. The filly pointed her hoof at the shadow, "What's going on. What happened."

"It's quite simple. You can't control your powers, but I can control mine." King Sombra said. He resumed his form. "I let you escape. There won't be a second time. No matter where in Equestria you go, I will find you."

Twilight teleported back into the throne room with her friends. She calmed herself, "Girls, over here. Princess Luna. Aegis. We have to retreat."

Blinding light illuminated the throne room. King Sombra, Nightmare Star, and Queen Chrysalis remained with the attackers gone.

"..." King Sombra snarled. Before he could lash out, Nightmare Star placed a hoof over his back and pulled him closer. The unicorn stallion sighed. He pulled away and moved towards the throne. King Sombra placed a hoof against his chin, scratched it, and then placed the hoof back on the ground. "I will not be denied my right. Chrysalis! There is no doubt they will return to that disgusting crystal tree castle in Ponyville. It's time that eyesore were razed, burning it to the ground."

Nightmare Star nodded. In a fiery flash, she and the deposed changeling ruler vanished.