• Published 13th Dec 2015
  • 405 Views, 11 Comments

Resurgence - DouglasTrotter



A defeated foe, now revived, seeks vengence on Equestria and those that call it home.

  • ...
 11
 405

Generous Magic

*** *** ***

The train rocketed down the turn, sparks spewing forth from its heavy metal wheels. It rounded the corner and proceeded through a dark tunnel. As the locomotive exited the tunnel, a barren wasteland existed outside the train car with rocks and cacti passing by the windows from time-to-time. One colt adjusted his hat, and then pointed outside the window towards a heard of buffalo.

Inside the train car, several ponies walked along the green carpet. One stallion nodded towards the two ponies and the basket in between them before he adjusted his hat. He walked by the group and sat in the seat towards the train car door.

"This sucks." Rainbow Dash said, tugging on her outfit. "Why do I have to go around dressed like this?"

"Your choice. You either get in the suitcase or that 'adorable' outfit." The disguised changeling said. She snickered at the pony in front of her struggling in the opulent dress. "We've got to get this 'Rarity' pony quickly. There's something off."

Adjacent the group, a mare tapped a gentle hoof against her forehead, wiping the beads of sweat from her brow. She pulled out a newspaper. The paper's quick "pop" resonated in the ponies' ears when she unfurled it. The earth pony mare's eyes skimmed over each section. Soon, the pony faced an empty seat. She glared at the pony in the seat on the other side of the carpet, her eyes flashing red for a second. The mare yanked the paper away, huffed, and returned to her seat.

Rainbow Dash gave a sheepish grin to the pony. She leaned in close to the basket. "Things just got a whole lot worse. We're plastered all over the paper."

"Next stop, Appleloosa!" The conductor said in a boisterous tone as he traveled down the green carpet. The door to next train car slammed shut behind him.

Curious eyes peered out the window to an old western town that came into view. Miniature dust tornados swirled about while tumble weeds rolled across the road. Mares, fillies, colts, and stallion went about their business, dressed in western attire.

As the train came to an abrupt stop, Apple Bloom fell out of the basket. She darted underneath the seat. Several ponies trotted up it.

"It's alright. She just took a tumble." The disguised changeling said. She latched onto Apple Bloom and hurriedly placed her in the basket. Her deep grin reflected off the eyes of the ponies near her. "No need to worry, she's a tough little... pony."

Two stallions tipped their hat to unicorn with three mares smiling at her. Rainbow Dash leaned in close. She checked on Apple Bloom, and then looked about the car.

Out in the dusty town, the deposed changeling ruler wiped the sweat from her forehead as Rainbow Dash pushed the basket. Her eyes glanced around the train station, and then fixated on a small paper box against the back wall. She trotted inside. Queen Chrysalis tapped her hoof against her chin before she motioned towards the others. In a hushed voice she said to the others, "I guess we don't have too far to travel in order to find Rarity."

"Appleloosa Apple Express: Thief caught red hoofed with stolen diamond vest of Buckaroo Blitz. Trial tomorrow...."

Sweetie Belle ran a hoof down her forehead before she turned toward Rainbow Dash, receiving a firm nod in return. The filly looked toward the changeling at her side. "Got any of your 'guides' here in Appleloosa?"

"Do you believe I would send one of my trained informants to some dustbowl hick town." Queen Chrysalis said.

"Watch it." Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo said in unison. The trio pointed their hooves at the disguised pony.

Queen Chrysalis pushed the cart forward with her magic, Rainbow Dash trotting behind her. The group backed away just as a stagecoach zoomed by. Tumbleweeds blew down the street as ponies went about their business. The calm demeanor shifted as one stallion slammed his hoof into the ground, and then pointed it at the mare in front of him. Both ponies screamed and yelled at each other, their eyes flashing red.

Rainbow Dash shielded her face with her hoof as the two ponies turned towards the group. She lowered her hoof. The athletic pony proceeded behind Queen Chrysalis and the basket towards the saloon across the street.

Apple Bloom's eyes widened. She pulled the blanket over her as the group neared the counter. In a hushed tone she said, "Quick. Get him away. Braeburn's such a loud mouth. He'll ruin everything."

"Well now, ain't you three as cute as a puppy dog with a lollipop." The stallion said. He reached into his pocket, "Got some suckers here in my vest pocket."

"No sweets." Rainbow Dash said, disguising her voice.

"Well ma'am. Ah don't know about you, but fillies of all ages just love something sweet. One little bite won't hurt." Braeburn said.

Queen Chrysalis batted her eyes. The stallion in front of her gave a hearty smile towards her. He offered up a treat, but he soon placed it back into his pocket.

"We need a room. I'm sad to say our funds are rather low. Do you know of a place that can take us for ten bits?" Queen Chrysalis said.

Braeburn's eyes flashed for a second. He snarled at the two ponies and the basket, "Cheapskates! Tryin' ta pay ten bits for a room. It's folks like you that'll ruin this here good town, wantin' somethin' for nothin'. Best attend to ya'lls business and 'get out!'"

The stallion stormed off. Rainbow Dash shrugged at Queen Chrysalis who sighed in return.

"You ok, Apple Bloom?" Rainbow Dash said as she leaned into the basket.

Apple Bloom remained silent as the group proceeded down the street towards the inn. She hopped out of the basket after the basket entered the room. A shaky hoof rubbed against her watery eyes while she sat on the wooden floor. "It's wrong. Braeburn is actin' just like Granny and Big Mac."

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle sat by their friend while Queen Chrysalis stood watch near the window.

"What do ya mean?" Rainbow Dash said.

Scootaloo pulled Rainbow Dash aside. She glanced towards Apple Bloom then faced her mentor. "When we first came up with the plan, we had to borrow some stuff from Sweet Apple Acres. Chrysalis disguised herself while the rest of us hide in the barn outside. Big Mac and Granny Smith were standing outside in the orchard. They seemed fine, but something just 'happened' and both of them started fighting. It got to Apple Bloom to see those two fighting with each other. I mean really bad fighting."

"I'm not good with this stuff, but, I promise, I'll help to fix things, Apple Bloom." Rainbow Dash said. She patted the earth pony filly on the back before approaching the window. "We can break Rarity out of prison. I mean that stupid shadow knows what's going on."

Apple Bloom blew her nose. She threw away the tissue. With the map unfurled from underneath the basket, her hoof tapped against Rarity's cutie mark. Nervous minutes ticked by as the filly examined the map.

The group turned away from the map. They huddled near the window. Two stallions butted heads while three mares lashed out at one another. The sheriff snarled at the group, placing all of them in cuffs then leading them away.

Queen Chrysalis's shook her head. "Here I respected your kind for its resolve. It looks like King Sombra's essence is spreading."

"You started this," Apple Bloom pointed a swift hoof at Queen Chrysalis. She took a deep breath. She turned away from the deposed changeling ruler. "You --"

"Apple Bloom," Rainbow Dash sat in front of the filly, "we can't give in to King Sombra. That's what we wants. We'll succeed. Look, if it weren't for you three I would still be back in Las Pegasus. I'm as stubborn as they come."

The earth pony filly looked at her friends. She smiled then glanced behind towards Queen Chrysalis. "Sorry. We have to work together, but Ah'm not about to forgive you for what ya did."

"Like I need forgiveness from a filly. Still, apology accepted." Queen Chrysalis said. The disguised changeling sat down. Her stern eyes scanned the street. She left the room, nabbed a paper, and came back to the room. "Let's see what we are dealing with first. If we just 'break' your friend out of prison it will cause undue attention. We must act with stealth and caution."

Rainbow Dash groaned. She let out a quick "fine" to the group before glancing over the paper. Her eyes lit up. "Wait. We can do what Daring Doo did in her newest book."

"Daring Doo?" Queen Chrysalis said.

"Yea. She had to retrieve the idol of the Dullahan from the Black Moore swamp." Rainbow Dash said, ending with a grin. She rolled her eyes. She cleared her throat. "Well -- anyways, there was this judge who accused her friend of stealing from the town. Daring Doo disguised herself as the judge, fooled the ponies, and had her friend released."

"You expect me to disguise myself as a pony I've never seen and have Rarity released?" Queen Chrysalis said.

Scootaloo shook her head. "No. Says right here that Judge Gavel is pre-side-ing over the case. We just have to ask around, find the judge, and have you take the pony's place. It'll be a synch."

"Cuilibet fatuo placet sua calvamind," Queen Chrysalis said in a whispered tone.

"What?" Rainbow Dash said.

"Nothing." Queen Chrysalis said.

With the map in front of them and the paper off to the side, the group chatted amongst themselves in quiet, hushed voices. Time ticked by. A quick "ok" resonated amongst them.

*** *** ***

"It's time to shut yer blinds!" The sheriff said as he walked down open street. His eyes glanced from building to building, witnessing the building's occupants close the windows then shutting the blinds. He continued the journey through the town.

The cutie mark crusaders, Rainbow Dash, and Queen Chrysalis listened to the windows slamming shut. They nodded to each other and crept outside where Rainbow Dash zipped onto the hotel's roof. The athletic pony flew back down. She pointed her hoof at a building in the distance.

Queen Chrysalis looked about. She shifted her form into a pegasus. The changeling latched onto Apple Bloom with Rainbow Dash grabbing Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle.

"You two need to go on a diet." Rainbow Dash said in a hushed tone.

"Rude." Sweetie Belle said.

The group scanned the streets. They moved surreptitiously from rooftop to rooftop, stopping to rest for a second between each movement.

In front of them stood the courthouse. One window remained open with its blinds up. A mare trotted by the open window in full court dress, the shiny black dress reflecting the sunlight. The pony glanced out the window. She pulled back, smirked, and closed the window. Her hoof pressed against the lock before it reached for the string to the blinds.

"I knew something was wrong." Queen Chrysalis whispered to the group. She latched onto Apple Bloom and darted towards the court rooftop, followed by the others. The changeling assumed her real form and undid the latch on the other side of the door. Inside with the others behind her, she marched towards the judge. With her horn aglow in a fierce green light, Queen Chrysalis emitted several hisses and clicks. Her eyes glowed in a fierce light. "Do it. Do it now or I will reveal you to the town myself, regardless of the consequences."

Judge Gavel squirmed. She snarled at the changeling before her hooves went limp. "As you wish, my queen."

A green flame erupted in front of the group. The small statured changeling that now stood in front of the group turned away.

"Crypsis," Queen Chrysalis towered above the changeling. Her eyes maintained their fierce fiery green glow as she bared her fangs at the changeling in front of her. She looked at Apple Bloom, and then relaxed. In a hushed tone, Queen Chrysalis said, "Is that disgusting king controlling you? Or did you decide to go out on your own since you couldn't usurp me?"

"My ruler, I would never usurp you. It's not possible for you to be dethroned." Crypsis said, her body trembling.

"Fifteen times you attempted to rally the changelings of 'my' hive against me. They were amusing attempts at first, something to roust me out of that boredom. That fifteenth time, you crossed the line." Queen Chrysalis said.

Crypsis stood up. She pointed a hoof at the changeling ruler, "You crossed the line with that order to assault the kingdom of Equestria and its capital the day of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza's wedding. How many of our --"

"Silence! I knew the risks when I sought food for my subjects. You didn't care." Queen Chrysalis said. Her eyes resumed their fiery glow. She peered down at the changeling that quivered near her hooves. "Thievery. Subterfuge. Disobedience. You cared nothing for your fellow changeling. If we were in the hive, I would have you de-winged, forced to work with the rest of the garbage."

"But we aren't. These stupid ponies have no idea who I am. Their affection towards the so-called 'law' I uphold has nourished me." Crypsis said. The changeling fell onto her back, restrained by Queen Chrysalis. "What are you going to do to me?"

Queen Chrysalis licked her jowls. She illuminated her horn. "One thing you pride yourself on is that silver tongue of yours."

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Rainbow Dash turned away. A bright flash of light illuminated the room. Two firm knocks came from the door. Queen Chrysalis assumed Judge Gavel's form. She stepped outside.

Rainbow Dash leapt towards Crypsis, Sweetie Belle helping to restrain the changeling. The group's ears perked up as muffled voices came from behind the door. Silence came. The door opened.

"..." Crypsis opened her mouth. Her eyes widened. The changeling placed her hooves over her mouth before pressing against her neck. She relented and emitted two swift buzzes with her wings before going limp.

The disguised changeling walked back in and closed the door. She faced the others, giving a silent nod.

Another knock came to the door. A unicorn hung her head as she came inside. The pony stopped then closed the door behind her. "You wanted to see me, your honor."

"Sis?" Sweetie Belle said, fighting to hold back her tears.

"Sweetie Belle," Rarity said as she latched onto the filly that hugged her tightly. She grinned at Rainbow Dash, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo. "How did you get here?"

"We can reminisce about all of this later." Queen Chrysalis said in her disguised form. She turned towards Rainbow Dash and pointed towards the door leading to the roof. As the now empty room stood silent, the ponies escorted to the roof by the athletic pony, Queen Chrysalis assumed her normal form. Her stature towered over the changeling in front of her. She leaned in, "I would tell you to remain silent, but we both know that won't be a problem."

Crypsis groaned, and then slammed her hoof into the floorboard. Queen Chrysalis smirked at the changeling before she made her way onto the roof and back towards the inn room.

*** *** ***

Rarity recanted her tale, several times, to the group in front of her while she combed her mane. The unicorn fluffed the hairs on her head. "That prison was so dreadful. Dust everywhere. Grime. It was horrible."

Sweetie Belle's jaw dropped. Her eyes widened. "You did steal the diamond vest."

"No, Sweetie Belle. A lady doesn't steal. She borrows." Rarity said. She looked towards Rainbow Dash, "And I suppose you have a little 'lesson,' for me as well?"

Rainbow Dash shook her head. She sat near Scootaloo while Sweetie Belle sat near Rarity. Queen Chrysalis remained vigilant at the window. Apple Bloom pulled out the map and unfurled it on the table. Her eyes darted from cutie mark to cutie mark. Her sigh echoed in the small room with the others turning towards her.

Apple Bloom turned away from the group. She joined Queen Chrysalis at the window and gazed towards the empty, dusty street below. "Ah want to get mah big sis, but Ah know it can't happen right now. We gotta get to --"

"Apple Bloom, Twilight's cutie mark. It's in Appleloosa." Scootaloo said. She touched her hoof to the cutie mark. The filly darted towards the window, and then held a hoof up to her eyes. "Bright."

"Twilight!" Apple Bloom yelled. She waved towards the pony. Two brief seconds passed. The inn room erupted in the same brilliant flash of light. "What are ya doin?"

"Trying to find my friends... so I can say I'm sorry." Twilight said, her ears lowering. Her hooves gave way. She collapsed to the ground, panting in a heavy breath.

Rarity and Sweetie Belle grabbed the pan and cloth from the wash room. Rarity dabbed the cool cloth against Twilight's forehead while she floated the pony into the nearby, empty bed.

"Now's not the time, egghead." Rainbow Dash said, pushing her friend back into the bed. "You gotta rest for now."

"She caused all this!" Twilight said in an exasperated tone.

"And ya think Ah don't know that? Mah sis is still out there. Granny Smith and Big Mac are fightin'. Braeburn -- it's all wrong and we know it, Twilight." Apple Bloom said. She turned away, wiped away her tears, and then faced the pony in the bed. "Queen Chrysalis has as much to lose as the rest of us. We gotta work together if we're gonna fix this mess."

Twilight exhaled a sharp breath. Her eyes remained fixated on the ceiling. Before they closed she said, "At least I found some of my friends."

Rarity pulled the covers over her friend. "Poor thing must be exhausted. From what you three told me, she's been teleporting all over Equestria searching for us and her brother."

"What now?" Scootaloo said.

"Twilight's back, but she needs some serious help. It'll take too long to head to the Crystal Kingdom and back for the others. If Princess Luna were here, she would know what to do." Apple Bloom said. Her sigh resonated in the room. She turned to her fellow crusader, "Sorry Scoots. Ah doubt Discord could help us out right now, or even if he's willin' to help us out. It's not like Ah have a way to summon him."

Scootaloo shrugged at Sweetie Belle who shrugged in return. The two fillies said in unison, "Was worth a shot."

The group's silent, solemn moment broke with a firm knock on the door to the inn room. Queen Chrysalis peered through the peep hole. She backed away, her eyes widening. The changeling pointed at Rainbow Dash and the fillies, and then towards the window.

The athletic pony latched onto the supply bag underneath the basket. Rainbow Dash grabed onto Rarity then the fillies one at a time. She nabbed Twilight and darted out the window with Queen Chrysalis not too far behind.

"Ya varmint! How dare ya steal the judge's voice!" The sheriff bellowed to the group.

Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Queen Chrysalis, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders charged down the street with Twilight on the changeling ruler's back. They galloped towards the train station. The ponies bolted to the side, hiding in the shadows while they calmed their breathing. Queen Chrysalis assumed the form of an earth pony, nabbed the bit bag from Rarity, and stepped inside. Tense moments passed before she returned with several tickets.

"Last Call! All Aboard!" A voice said, resonating throughout the area.

The group of ponies gazed at the street. Their hooves pounded against the train station's floor. Queen Chrysalis slammed the door shut to the private train car as it rolled out of the station.