• Published 9th Jun 2012
  • 2,884 Views, 110 Comments

The Element of Loyalty - Darkswirl



Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo struggle to figure out how to continue with their lives.

  • ...
14
 110
 2,884

Chapter Five: Denial

"Rainbow Dash, are you home? Can I come in?" Derpy asked as she knocked once more.

For a long while, she heard nothing from inside the cloud house. As she spread her wings and turned to leave, however, Rainbow Dash opened the door and took a step outside.

"Oh, hey Derpy. What can I help you with?" she asked, her voice unusually calm and her left eye twitching just barely.

"I just came to check up on you. I talked to Scootaloo for a while after you left and she seemed pretty upset that you did." Derpy explained. "Do you want to talk about it?".

"Nah, it's fine. I was upset, but then I realized she'd be out of the hospital in time for me to make the cadet tryouts. So how're you?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Derpy raised an eyebrow at the blue pegasus. All of Scootaloo's limbs were at the very least temporarily crippled, her left wing broken in six places, and her chest caved in up until she had surgery to repair the damage. How in Equestria did she think Scootaloo would be bouncing around in less than two days?

"Um, Dash..." Derpy started.

As if she knew what was about to be said, Rainbow Dash spread her wings and took to the skies, calling out to Derpy "She'll be fine, you'll see!" before going out of earshot.

Derpy stared confusedly at the small speck until she lost sight of it. Turning back to the house, she noticed Rainbow Dash hadn't shut her door all the way. In fact, she had left it wide open! Derpy took a peek inside and nearly gasped in disbelief.

Rainbow Dash could be considered messy. She never groomed her mane, for one, and the few ponies who had been inside her home said that while it wasn't a complete disaster, one would have no trouble in thinking Rainbow Dash trashy. But as Derpy's reverse-crossed eyes took in the living room, she noted how neat and organized everything was. Books had been picked up from the floor, pages bookmarked and carefully fit into shelves while board game pieces had found their ways into their respective boxes and been neatly stacked next to the bookcase. The living room was spotless and tidy, which took Derpy completely by surprise.

-

"Scootaloo? Hey Scootaloo, can ya hear us?" a soft country voice sounded, rousing the orange filly from her dream. She let out a soft grunt in reply.

"I think she's awake." a sweet voice said.

Scootaloo still couldn't turn her head, but she managed to see her two best friends out of the corner of her eyes.

"Hey Scoots. How're you feeling?" Sweetie Belle asked sympathetically.

Scootaloo didn't reply and just shut her eyes again.

The two other crusaders looked at each other with worried eyes and then back at Scootaloo.

"We...We tried tah stop ya..." Apple Bloom said in her defense.

"I know." Scootaloo choked out and then went into a coughing fit, sending her friends back a few steps. "But I'll be fine! You'll see!" she said in between coughs.

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle gave each other a nervous look.

-

"Gotta fly gotta fly gotta fly." Rainbow Dash whispered to herself as she soared across the sky, clouds and random pegasus ponies nothing but a blurr as she slowly started to break the sound barrier.

She needed to go fast, to escape from her own mind. Part of her truly believed Scootaloo would get better quickly, and that she would soon be a Wonderbolt. But part of her also realized how stupid that thought was. Her body was a mangled orange mass hidden only by a body cast. She tried not to think about Scootaloo like that as a cone of air started to form in front of her. She closed her eyes tightly as she suddenly shot forward, an explosion of rainbow dust shooting out in a ring behind her.

-

On the ground below, Derpy stood staring into the magnificent rainbow ring that Dash had created. Her face, however, displayed no signs of joy; only a deep frown and the worried look of a friend.