• Published 30th Sep 2015
  • 1,616 Views, 39 Comments

Equestria Divided - Nightmare Darkness



The times are dark when the land is ripped apart at the disappearance of the sisters. Everypony seems to be out for themselves even the mane six have split to form thier own houses. Equestria is Divided and needs hope again, only who will it be?

  • ...
5
 39
 1,616

Old Rivals and Books

Rainbow Dash, Summer 9,14 ASD


Rainbow sat at her desk, pining over reports and random information. She couldn't focus. Scootaloo was late to report in and she was worried. The doors of her study burst open, and she reached for her sword before relaxing at seeing Spitfire, who was breathing heavily as if she had hurried there.

“What is it?” she asked with a frown.

“Scootaloo… Captured by Lightning Dust.” Spitfire said between gasps of air. Rainbow's eyes widened.

“Celestia curse that flying rip-off!” she swore and slammed her hoof on her desk.

“What happened!” she demanded.

“Rumble!” Spitfire ordered. A voice echoed from outside the room, and a heavily breathing Rumble, who looked like he had been through quite the ordeal, marched into the room and stood at attention. Spitfire closed the door and flew to a spot beside Rainbows desk.

“Report,” Rainbow ordered. Rumble took in a breath before he began to explain.

“Scoutmaster Scootaloo had us retreat from the mission against Fluttershy. The Earthborn engaged and civilians were caught in the fray. By the time Fluttershy arrived on the scene she had taken control of the forest and called reinforcements. We had no opening, so we retreated,” he stated. Rainbow nodded for him to carry on.

“The going through Everfree became more treacherous as we tried to fly out due to assaults by parasprites and carnivorous birds. We lost five in that engagement, and then we stuck to the ground, where we were subject to several other surprise attacks from overly aggressive beasts. By the time we made it to the edge of the forest, we had no idea where we were. Scoutmaster Scootaloo had us hide while she scouted. After several minutes we heard a ponycopter and saw Scootaloo being pursued by Earthborn forces… I… I wanted to go assist her, but my fellow comrades held me back. Scootaloo taunted them, leading them away and allowing us to escape,” he said, visibly angry with himself.

“Applejack… Damn it.”

“Big Mac was part of the Earthborn raid. I didn't see the end result, but he must have been captured,” Rumble added on, making Rainbow look at him.

“We know from other sources that Applejack went to Rarity for a reason I can only guess is related to this,” she said, thinking out loud.

“You are dismissed, Rumble,” Rainbow said, and Spitfire flew to the door and opened it. Rumble stayed there for a moment, looking awkward.

“Is there something else?” Rainbow asked.

“No ma'am, but if you intend to rescue her please consider me for a position on the rescue team,” he said urgently.

“We haven't considered all the options available to us. Carry on, Rumble,” She ordered. Rumble saluted her and left as Spitfire closed the door behind him.

“What do you want to do?” Spitfire asked.

“Get me my armor. I'm going out. I don't plan on being back for a few days.” Rainbow said, standing.

“You can't abandon your post!” Spitfire argued.

“I'm not. I'm just going to go get what is mine,” Rainbow stated, causing Spitfire to frown.

“You know, you make looking after you hectic for me,” she said, sighing and sounding defeated.

“Good to know I can count on you. One last thing,” Rainbow said, making Spitfire look at her.

“Tell Soarin to dust off his armor,” she said. Spitfire smiled despite herself.

“I'll deliver the message personally,” she chuckled.


Dr Whooves, Summer 10,14 ASD

A stallion's hooves clacked against stone floor as he looked side to side, examining the bookshelves of a long abandoned library. He had stumbled upon the mentions of the place in a book he had acquired from the Canterlot library. He was lucky to have escaped there with his freedom, let alone a book. Dr Whooves stopped in front of a door and frowned. His brown coat and mane were plain enough, but it made him impressive was his knowledge in science and ancient history.

“This is…” he wondered out loud.

“What is it?” asked a female voice. A light orange mare with a fire red and yellow mane walked out of the shadows, carrying her saddlebags.

“This door. What do you make of it, Sunset Shimmer?” he asked. She approached it and looked at the markings.

“Protections wards. Old ones at that. Maybe there’s something interesting behind them?” she said with a sly smile. Dr Whooves’ eyes became half lidded as he sighed.

“You only thirst for knowledge and mystical items. Such a waste…” he said, looking for a lever but finding none.

“What? You going to complain again and hope I help you on your useless quest to find the Sisters? It's been fourteen years, Whooves. Why don't you give it up?” she said, placing her hoof against the door, brushing away the dust and revealing more lettering in ancient equine, a language that few scholars even knew about.

“They are still alive,” he said, as if in prayer.

“Yeah, yeah,” she said, her horn glowing as she pressed it against the door. A blinding flash of light followed with a loud explosion that sent Sunset Shimmer stumbling back. She fell to the floor, unmoving.

“Sunset!” Whooves exclaimed as he rant to her and placed his head to her chest. He quiet for a moment, then heard a heartbeat. He breathed a sigh of relief. The sound of stone grinding made him look back at the door that was opening. A gust of stale air wafted into the room. He looked at Sunset Shimmer and lightly tapped her face.

“Sunset, Sunset.” he whispered as she groaned. Her eyes fluttered open, but her pupil took a moment before focusing on him.

“Bucking hell…” she said, closing her eyes in a wince of pain.

“How you feeling?” he asked, sliding his bags off of his back and lifting her head onto it like a makeshift pillow.

“Feel like I've been dehorned by an overzealous Earthborn,” she said angrily.

“Can you get up?” he asked. She shook her head.

“No. Give me a few.” she said, trying to relax. Dr Whooves looked at the door and took a few steps forward.

“I'll be back in a moment,” he said, stepping into the doorway. The space was empty save for a lone pedestal that held two books. There didn’t seem to be any way to get to them. He frowned and stepped past the door, looking down at the blackness.

“Well I am no pegasus. Maybe…” he asked and kicked a small bit of dirt that flew and landed in mid air.

“Ah. Genius,” he mused and stepped onto the invisible walkway. Feeling his way, he found a few turns and dead ends that made his stomach lurch and jump. He stopped when he finally reached the pedestal. He looked at the books and frowned. They were not what he expected. The one on the left was encrusted with precious gems, precious metals, and had a large embellished title labelling it “Power”. It's neighbor was tamer and looked like a normal book but for several spots of ink and its frayed spine. In simple lettering it was titled “Knowledge”. He placed his hoof on his chin and mulled it over for a few minutes.

“What is it? How did you get over there?” he heard Sunset Shimmer ask. He looked back at her.

“There is an invisible walkway. But there are two books here. One says “Knowledge”, the other says “Power”. I think I have to choose,” he said as Sunset sat down.

“Power, obviously.” she said.

“But what kind of power?” he asked which did give her pause.

“I'm guessing you're also thinking the same of Knowledge.” She guessed and he nodded.

“Well both would be nice, but there’s too much uncertainty. It's too dangerous,” he said and turned from the dias to leave.

“What are you doing? Just grab power. I didn't come here to leave empty hooved,” Sunset said, annoyed.

“You are wise little pony.” A voice echoed in the chamber, making him freeze as they both looked around frantically for the source of the voice.

“Where are you?” Dr Whooves pushed out. A white mist swarmed from the books, taking the form of a pony. It stood in front of Dr Whooves.

“What is your name?” it asked.

“Dr Whooves,” he said, unsure of what to make of this situation.

“Why have you come to this place?” it asked as its glowing yellow eyes narrowed at him.

“I'm looking for the Sisters.” he stated.

“The sisters?” it asked, unsure, before its glowing eyes widened.

“Celestia and Luna?” it said without prompt.

“Yes, Equestria is in need of them.” he said before he heard a angered noise from Sunset Shimmer.

“I know of the sisters, but I was placed here not by them, but by their Mother and Father.” it said, causing both Sunset and Whooves’ jaws to drop.

“They… had parents?” Sunset Shimmer said, surprised.

“You act surprised, young pupil of Celestia.” it said as it drifted towards her.

“How?” she began.

“Did I know? Only those chosen by the Royal family for planned ascension may enter these doors. This was a test for those who would become a new princess. Only those who are Alicorn may take the test.” it said as it looked at Dr Whooves.

“If you had touched either of the books, you would have died.” it said matter of factly. Dr Whooves looked back at the books and took another step away.

“That is amazing to know, but I'm am on the search for the sisters. They have disappeared without a trace,” Dr Whooves said.

“Like I said, they are gone. They’ve been missing for fourteen years. If they would have come back theybwould still have to explain why the sun and moon still move.” Sunset Shimmer burst out with several feelings for her old mentor. The mist form’s eyes shimmered.

“There are things in this world that can freely manipulate time and space. If you have the right magic, you can do anything. The culprit you seek is a draconequus named Discord. He was sealed by the sisters, or so the Ather had said. His power surged around fourteen of your years ago,” it said as it looked at them.

“The princesses were kidnapped and being held by a draquonus? What is this creature's name?” Dr Whooves inquired.

“Discord, the god of Chaos,” it said coldly.

“How do we find him?” Sunset Shimmer asked.

“I do not know, but even if you find him, you cannot defeat him as you are. You will need the Elements of Harmony,” it stated. Dr Whooves shook his head.

“That's going to be almost impossible…” he said, shaking his head. The mist showed him the way back to Sunset Shimmer. He followed it back to her and looked back at the mist form.

“Is there any other way to defeat Discord?” Sunset Shimmer asked, turning from a sullen Dr Whooves. The mist shook its now ponylike head.

“If the old bearers are not as they were then you must find new ones,” it said as the door began to close and both Sunset and Dr Whooves left the chamber. The door closed with a boom and magic flashed across it, resealing it. The silence felt heavy before Dr Whooves raised his head.

“Fourteen years I've been looking for the answer of what happened to the sisters. Now I know and I can't do anything about it,” he said, defeated. Sunset Shimmer looked at her current employer.

“I am a mercenary, Dr Whooves. A business mare. I may be hired. I'll give you a discount, and we will find new bearers,” she said hopefully. He looked at her with a smile.

“Yeah, that's a good idea, but first things first… we need all of the Elements themselves. One from each of the house leaders…” he said with deep pitted nervousness. “This won't be quick or easy.”

“I'll take that commission,” Sunset said with a shrug.