• Published 30th Sep 2015
  • 1,616 Views, 39 Comments

Equestria Divided - Nightmare Darkness



The times are dark when the land is ripped apart at the disappearance of the sisters. Everypony seems to be out for themselves even the mane six have split to form thier own houses. Equestria is Divided and needs hope again, only who will it be?

  • ...
5
 39
 1,616

Scouts and Pirate's

Scootaloo, Summer 8,14 ASD

Breathing heavily, Scootaloo and her scout group had just gotten out of Everfree Forest. Since Fluttershy went total beast control Scootaloo deemed it too dangerous to go in for the kill. The Earthborn were slaughtered and she called the retreat. The going had been slow considering the constant attacks from enraged beasts and vegetation.

“Scootaloo…” she heard her name and looked back at her second in command, Rumble.

“What is it, Rumble? We’re almost out,” she said, slowing. Rumble nodded but looked uncomfortable. They all felt that way.

“We are almost out, but we don't know where we are in the forest. We were chased for so long we could be in the north or the south. We don't know,” he said. Scootaloo had to agree with him. They had no idea where they were in the forest. Flying wasn't an option because the skies above the Everfree forest were more dangerous than walking through it.

“I'll scout when we break the treeline,” she said, looking at her group of what once was twelve, now whittled down to five. The trees began to part and open up more at the edge of the treeline. She held up her wing making everypony freeze. She signaled them to hide and they found trees and rocks to hide behind as she opened both wings and took to the air. She was glad to be out of the confining forest and she took to the sky. Scanning for familiar landmarks proved difficult because of the cloud cover. Landing on a cloud she kept looking until an odd buzzing sound on the wind caused her to frown. A thunderclap caused her to jump and launch off the cloud. An explosion of pain caused the air to leave her lungs as she was crashed into by a blue and yellow blur. Crying out, she brought down her hoof on the back of her assailant, knocking the attacker. Breathing was hard and she winced at the sharp pains with each breath.

“Ahhh!” she cried out, and on a cloud above her stood a pegasus wearing Earthborn colors.

“Shit,” she cursed under her breath. The pegasus whistled and then the beating of several wings announced the arrival of reinforcements. Scootaloo dove trying to get to the forest to outfly them but her ribs jabbed her with pain. She looked over her shoulder and saw three Earthborn pegasi chasing her. She looked at the treeline and saw Rumble who was about to charge into the fray when the buzzing became louder as a ponycopter flew from a cloud banking towards her. Rumble was about to take off to her aid when all of her scouts tackled him holding him down.

“Try and catch me!” Scootaloo taunted, looking away from her subordinates and planned to put as much distance between her and them. Scootaloo banked towards the copter and down as it fired a barreled hoofcannon at her. She flew under it and stuck close to the ground beating her wings as though her life depended on it. She looked back over her shoulder and she was being pursued by only one. A fearful thought came across her mind that they had seen Rumble and the others until she looked forward and saw the other two with a net which she flew right into and crashed into the ground. She tumbled and heard a snap and felt an explosion of pain in her left wing. She screamed in pain as she layed there and began to weep.

“Gotcha,” she heard one say.

“She was fast even with the ribs you broke, Lighting,” she heard another say. Scootaloo looked up with blurry eyes and saw Lightning Dust.

“Not as fast as Rainbow, eh Scootaloo?” Lightning Dust said with a smirk before Scootaloo felt a hoof to the back of her head, knocking her out.

Pipsqueak, Summer 8,14 ASD

The roar of cannons defeaned him, but made his blood pump.

“Fire again! Hoist the colors!” he ordered as the ponies under him reloaded their massive cannons. A pony hoisted a black flag adorned with a pony's skull and crossbones.

“Let them have it!” Another blue coated and pink maned unicorn stallion ordered as he pulled the ripcord of a cannon.

“Sea Swirl! Get the hooks ready!” Pipsqueak ordered. Sea Swirl nodded, giving the ripcord to another and running to complete his job.

“Incoming!” a mare shouted, and the sound of cannon balls snapping wood and cutting through ponies filled the air. Pipsqueak stepped over the body of one and helped push a cannon back into place.

“Captain Pipsqueak!” He heard his name called by an earth pony mare with a brown coat and bright silver mane named Silverspeed.

“What is it?” he demanded, looking at her as she ran up to him.

“We're close enough to use hooks!” she said. Pipsqueak smiled and looked over to an odd looking mare who appeared to be more beast than pony. Being a wraith from Everfree, not many asked her questions.

“Screw Loose! You’re up!” he said as she looked at him with her cat-like eyes. Her sharp, dagger-like teeth flashed in a smile.

“Pull ‘em in, boys!” Sea Swirl ordered as he flung a hook at the merchant ship flying House Whitegold colors. Several more hooks followed Sea Swirl’s and began to haul the boat in.

“Prepare to board!” Pipsqueak ordered as several ponies drew swords. Speedsilver was by the helm as she took aim with her modified hoofcannon that was far more accurate than the mass produced Earthborn hoofcannons.

“Prepare to defend yourselves!” Pipsqueak heard from the merchant ship. A shot rang out from Speedsilver’s hoofcannon. The two ships banged against each other. The sound of cracking wood filled the air.

“Take ‘em, boys!” Pipsqueak ordered, and his pirate crew, shouting war cries, landed boards and charged over, taking the fight to the merchant ships. Pipsqueak followed and landed on the deck, stabbing a sailor through the back. He turned to see a charging mare with a spear leveled at him. She dropped suddenly and Pipsqueak looked up to see Speedsilver give him a small salute, to which he nodded back in reply. The battle lasted several minutes but the conflict ended, the merchant crew dropping their weapons at sword point.

“She's ours!” Pipsqueak proclaimed, garnering a euphoric cheer from his crew. He turned and approached the last surviving officer.

“What are you moving?” he said with a smile.

“Supplies, mostly.” the officer said back with a wince of pain. Pipsqueak looked at his crew.
“Plunder her, boys. Take everything of value.” He looked at the defeated officer.

“Tie him up with the others,” Pipsqueak said as he walked into the captain’s quarters to see a hole in the side and a headless corpse he assumed was the captain’s.

“So that’s why their response was delayed.” Sea Swirl said as he walked in from behind Pipsqueak. He began to rummage around looking for charts and ship manifests. He lifted one up with his magic and scowled.

“That's odd,” he said, looking at Pipsqueak.

“What is?” he inquired.

“They are coming from Stalliongrad, and they’re going to… I don't recognize the language,” Sea Swirl said, showing it to him. Pipsqueak looked it over and frowned. He recognized it but it didn't make sense.

“That's changeling language,” he said, puzzled.

“Captain!” He heard Speedsilver yell his name. He left the cabin and saw Speedsilver.

“What?” he said, annoyed, which earned him a glare.

“You need to see this,” she said. He knew he’d pissed her off. He would deal with it later, privately. He followed her down as a rancid, stomach-turning smell grew around him. Opening a door the smell intensified and a new sense overcame him.

Anger.

Rows of ponies, both young and old, mare and stallion, were crammed together, shackled, and had bags over their heads. Filth littered the floor and they all looked malnourished. Pipsqueak turned on his heels and went up to the main deck where he saw the captive merchant crew.

“Bring me the officer,” he growled. Three ponies grabbed the officer and threw him down in front of Pipsqueak. Bending down, he looked the officer in the eye.

“How long have you been trafficking slaves from the Moon and Star?” he said, cooly. Several of his crew shifted angrily upon hearing this. Most of his crew were rescued from the slave domes of the Moon and Star.

“I…” he began, but Pipsqueak lifted a hoof to his chin, cutting him off.

“Answer carefully. My crew are a bit uncontrollable when it comes to slave traders,” he said warningly. The officer gulped, steeling himself.

“They are from the Moon slave domes. We have been doing this run for the last three sails. We have been taking them to the changelings but were told they are only going there to feed them. So it's not so bad,” he said as if he was genuinely sure their lives would be better. Pipsqueak spat on the deck beside him.

“You know changelings don't just eat love. Ponies are sapped for it. I've seen what happens when a pony is drained of too much. They lose their will to live. They just lay there, starving themselves to death, and then they’re disposed of. So tell me, is that a better life?” Pipsqueak said, pulling his head away from the officer as he was dragged back to the group.

“What do we do?” Speedsilver asked quietly. Pipsqueak looked at the group of merchant ponies.

“Put them below, in place of the slaves. We’re taking this ship. We'll give them to Junebug,” he said

“You can't keep dumping ponies on her. Redheart’s Refuge doesn't have endless supplies,” she said, annoyed. Pipsqueak smiled at her with a side long glance.

“Guess we're going to have to step up our game to keep them operating,” he said with grin.