• Published 23rd Aug 2015
  • 2,378 Views, 63 Comments

My Roommate, the Evil Siren - Mirai-chan



When Aria has nowhere else to go, she finds herself living in the same house as Fluttershy.

  • ...
3
 63
 2,378

Moving In

Aria stepped over the threshold to Fluttershy's house and stared. It wasn't quite what she'd expected.

The hallway was quite dark, lit only by one ceiling lamp further along. The walls were covered with striped wallpaper, pale pink and dark purple. The combination was not pleasant. Paintings of flowers in different shades of pink lined the corridor.

Huh. Aria thought I've never seen anything so insipid. Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of Fluttershy squeezing a considerable amount of water out of her skirt. She proceeded to step into the corridor, remove her shoes and place them on a rack by the wall. Aria cautiously followed suit, casting another contemptuous look at the decor. Fluttershy seemed to have caught her look.

"It's my mom's taste" Fluttershy said quickly. "She's not in right now." Aria nodded and glanced round, taking in the different doorways as her curiosity heightened slightly.
Fluttershy coughed.

"Maybe we should go into the kitchen?" She suggested. "It's less pink." Aria offered a brief smile.
"Please."
Fluttershy led her down the corridor and through a door on the left. The kitchen wasn't pink, but it was the cleanest room Aria had seen in a long time, resembling more a furniture display than an actual room used for cooking. Aria crossed to the scrubbed white table, putting her bag on one chair and sitting down on another. Fluttershy reached up and opened a cupboard, beginning to rifle through it.

"Um, so, would you like a drink?"

"Sure." Aria said bluntly.

"Okay, what would you like? Tea? Hot chocolate?"

"Uh, coffee. Please. Black." Aria surveyed the room again, taking in the seeming lack of windows. A second or two later, she noticed a high up one with flowery curtains drawn in front of it.

The two were silent for a moment as the water boiled, and Fluttershy prepared Aria's coffee and her own much milkier one. She sat down across from Aria and slid the coffee over to her.
"Thanks."

They were quiet again for a while, sipping their drinks and not making eye contact.

Fluttershy was the first to speak again.

"Um, Aria?"

"Hm?"

"I'm going to get changed now. Uh, I could lend you something to wear if you like." Fluttershy smiled tentatively. Aria shook her head.

"I'll pass." She hesitated. "Though I'd really like to take a shower or something."

"Oh! Okay, that's fine. I'll show you where it is." Fluttershy got out her seat. Aria drained the last of her drink and followed the pink-haired girl through the door, then through another one and up a staircase. The walls by the stairs were covered with yet more flower pictures, and several stiff family portraits. Fluttershy pointed Aria to a door along the upstairs corridor.

"The bathroom's through there." Fluttershy headed towards another door presumably leading to her bedroom. Aria surveyed at the door for a moment before grasping the doorknob and entering. The bathroom was admittedly less pink than the rest of the house, though it still managed to be as tasteless. Somehow. Pulling that off was quite a feat.

Aria sat down on the edge of the the bath. She had to seriously think about what she was going to do. She knew that if Fluttershy found out her situation, then she was likely to help her out, despite what she had done in the past. At the moment, the best option she had was not one she particularly liked.

"Dammit." Aria said out loud. "I don't have a choice. She's all I have now."


Twenty minutes later, Aria emerged from the bathroom feeling quite a bit better. Slightly unsure of what to do next, she decided to tell Fluttershy straight away, before she had a chance to get rid of the former siren. Finding Fluttershy's room was not a difficult task. One of the doors along the corridor was slightly ajar, and from came quite a bit of noise. Aria walked up to this door, pondering knocking. She decided against this idea and pushed the door open.

"Uh..."

Fluttershy's room was starkly different from the rest of the house. The walls were painted a soft, leafy green, the carpet pale yellow and the bed covered with a simple white blanket. What was most noticeable about it was the animals. They were everywhere. Various sizes of animal beds lined all the walls, bird cages hanging from the ceiling and on shelves. It was easy to glean the source of the noise from this place.

"Oh! Hello Aria, I didn't hear you come in." Fluttershy stood in the middle of the room. She was wearing a white T-shirt and green trousers, her pink hair held in a ponytail. She clutched a bag of some kind of animal food in her hands.

"That's not surprising." Aria stepped over one of the cats. "Hey. Butterfly girl." Fluttershy tilted her head slightly. "We need to talk."

"We do?"

Aria mentally facepalmed.

"Yeah. We do." She waved a hand in the air. "Care to shut your little friends up?"

"Oh. Um, sure." Fluttershy set the bag of food down and turned to address the room. "Quiet please everyone!"

Aria raised an eyebrow. Seriously? Like that's going to-

The room fell silent. Fluttershy smiled and turned to sit down on her bed. Quickly recovering from her surprise, Aria pulled Fluttershy's desk chair over and sat down.

"So." Aria surveyed Fluttershy's innocent expression. "Remember when your magical friendship horse blasted my powers to pieces?" Fluttershy stared at her for a moment, before nodding slowly. "Well. After that happened we were in a pretty bad position. We didn't know what to do, other than get our powers back. So that's what we tried to do. Well-" Aria paused "-that's what me and Adagio tried to do. But soon it became pretty apparent that it just wasn't possible. See, what happened when we got hit by the rainbow thing wasn't just our pendants being destroyed and the magic released- which was what we originally thought. What actually happened was your power neutralised ours. Y'know, like acid and ally." Fluttershy blinked.

"Um. Do you mean acid and alkali?" She whispered.

"Whatever." Aria waved her hand dismissively. "Anyway, when we found that out, Adagio gave up. I think Sonata gave up quite a while ago. They gave up, but I didn't. They were happy to accept human lives, I wasn't. I carried on searching for the answer. Even when I knew there was no way I could succeed. Eventually, Sonata and Adagio got tired of me. They had jobs, earning money. Enough so we could have a house." Aria grimaced. "Their house. You can probably guess how this turns out."

"Oh..." Fluttershy looked down. Aria laughed mirthlessly.

"Yeah. They turfed me out. Today. So I could run into butterfly girl, make a fool of myself, and end up here."
Fluttershy looked legitimately upset.

"You've got nowhere else to go."

"No."

They were silent for a moment. Aria could practically hear the cogs in Fluttershy's brain working. Eventually she sighed.

"You've got nowhere else... So you should stay here." Fluttershy looked down. "I can't think of anything else that doesn't make me feel bad."

Aria grinned. She stood up suddenly, making Fluttershy jump.

"Sure. I'll stay here." Aria began to turn around but stopped. "Oh. I guess I should do something for you too."

Fluttershy sighed again. "I guess so." She brightened slightly. "There are a couple of things I need doing."

Looks like I'll be spending quite a bit of time around animals.

"Right." Aria said. "I'll, uh, do those things then." Her tone was clearly false, but Fluttershy seemed to buy it. Aria turned for the second time.

"Oh, the guest room's third door on the right. You can go in there." Aria didn't respond to this. "Aria?"

"Yeah, I heard you."

"No, it's not that. It's um..." Fluttershy shrank slightly where she was sitting. Aria glanced at her.

"What?"

"Um, well, are we sort of... friends now?" Fluttershy hid behind her hair.

"What? No! Of course not! I'm not buying into your magical friendship thing like Sunset Shimmer did." Aria folded her arms. Fluttershy visibly wilted.

"Then what are we?" Fluttershy looked up at the older girl with wide eyes. Aria thought for a moment.

"We're acquaintances. Companions. Something like that. Just-" She rolled her eyes "-not friends"

Fluttershy seemed to be think about this for a moment.

"Okay..." She said slowly. "Companions then."

"Yep. Mind if I leave now?" Aria turned for the third time.

"Huh?"

"The room."

"Oh. Right."

Aria pulled Fluttershy's door open and paused for a second.

"Hey butterfly girl?"

"Hm?"

"Thanks."

Author's Note:

New chapter :yay:
I hope you enjoyed it. Again, it could use improvement and I'd be delighted if anyone helped out. The relationship between the two will hopefully be less awkward now the setting had been established.

Thanks for reading!