• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 4,490 Views, 36 Comments

Daring Do and the Goggles of Shipping - CoffeeMinion



Discord thought they'd stay buried forever. Now they've resurfaced, and at the worst possible time...

  • ...
8
 36
 4,490

Role Reversal

There was a flash, a “pop!”, and a brief stench of ozone as Discord and Daring Do stepped out of a circular, pony-sized portal onto an island in the Draconequus’ home dimension.

Discord frowned, noticing the island was several hundred strides away from the one his home was on. “Well, Cadance, I wouldn’t exactly say you stuck that landing, but… thank you.”

A dainty pink head topped by a long, glowing horn took a brief look through the portal. “Remember, please try to make this quick; I won’t be able to hold it for long.”

Daring Do smiled as she watched various creatures flying about the nonsensical sky. “This place is amazing.” She pointed at the house. “And look, Fluttershy must have a fire going.”

Discord studied his house. Smoke was pouring from its chimney. Soon, he noticed it was coming out of other places, as well.

He beat his wings and rose up into what passed for sky. Below him, Daring Do shouted, “Wait!” But he was having none of it.

One of the home's upper windows exploded, sending out a burst of fire and glass. Fluttershy tumbled out, spinning end over end as she fell through the swirling emptiness.

Discord threw himself into a dive. "Fluttershy!"

She opened bleary eyes and raised a weak hoof toward him.Discord did his best to pick up speed.

Suddenly, electricity began to crackle across her coat. She looked up with a mix of pain and resignation as the lightning-dance intensified.

Discord gawked at what looked a lot like Fluttershy channeling Chaos energy.

Fluttershy clopped her forehooves together. There was a white explosion just below her as a fluffy, house-sized pillow flashed into existence. He barely had time to register his surprise before both he and Fluttershy plowed into its expansive softness.

Fluttershy emerged from the pillow and flew toward him. "Oh Discord, I'm so sorry... I'm afraid I've made an awful mess of things..."

He raised his paw toward her. "No, Fluttershy… I’m sorry, it’s me who’s messed everything up."

Another surge of energy crackled over her. "Um, I don't know if I'd say that..." She raised a hoof and shivered as a discharge of raw, air-burning power shot out into the void. It flew just wide of the approaching Daring Do, and burst into a torrent of brightly-colored flowers.

His eyes went wide. "How are you doing that?"

She shook her head. "I didn’t know that’s what it was. It just… came to me while I was waiting for you. I knew it meant that something had gone wrong, and I wanted to come looking for you, but the power is so hard to control..."

Discord struggled his way out of the pillow's embrace and flew close to her. "Oh, Fluttershy, I know. It's been an uphill battle for me at the best of times." He reached his claw toward her, tentatively. "But with you, it hasn't been so difficult..."

“Hey, lovebirds!” Daring Do shouted. She pointed at the house. “What the buck is that?!

Emerging from the burning husk of Discord’s home was a hundred-hoof-tall creature that resembled a fluffy bunny that had been run through a nightmarish meat grinder. It roared as it hurled flaming chunks of the house at Daring Do, who dodged and evaded its onslaught.

Fluttershy looked downward. "I'm sorry, I got lonely and... I tried to make myself a friend."

Discord touched his paw to the side of her face, and gently raised her head to look up at him. "Oh, Fluttershy… that’s just so you."

Fluttershy looked expectant. His heart began to pound. He gazed into her eyes, and tried to work up the courage to kiss her.

"A little help here?!" Daring Do shouted from above.

Discord sighed. "I'm sorry; she helped me get back to you. I at least owe her..."

"DISCORD!"

Fluttershy raised herself up and gave him a quick peck on the cheek. The sensation was electric, and not just because of the energy cracking over her body.

Fluttershy touched a hoof to his lips. “If you want, maybe when this is over you could tell me what you were going to say earlier?"

He swallowed. "I'd like that. But... my powers... what if this is permanent?"

She grinned. "Well… maybe you could spend some time helping me learn to use them?"

Discord smiled, and looked up toward where Daring Do was still battling the rabbit-creature in the ruin of his home.

“I think I could live with that,” he said.