• Published 23rd May 2012
  • 21,243 Views, 1,327 Comments

Pony May Cry: Brotherhood is Magic - Joey JoJo



A series of cosmic events cast the demon sons of Sparda, Dante and Vergil, into Equestria as ponies.

  • ...
42
 1,327
 21,243

Part 1 - Epilogue: Enim Corpus Meum

Storm clouds loomed high above the Royal Canterlot Garden as the rain pattered against the garden plants' leaves, while lightning occasionally cracked across the sky to shatter the normally low and drumming silence. Finely sculpted marble statues decorated the garden, neatly positioned all around the lush and vibrant topiary that formed an elaborate hedge maze stretching out past the boundaries of the castle. All the while, a royal guard known by the name Night Watch was eagerly pacing about in the ballroom that led out into the garden. The armor-clad guard in question was a dark grey unicorn stallion with an alabaster white mane and tail. He had taken shelter from the storm inside the ballroom as he waited anxiously for Princess Celestia to return from her inspection.

Night Watch had been constantly stopping to check outside the large ballroom windows every few minutes or so until finally, from the center of an indiscernible patch of land just past a white, wood carved garden arbor wrapped magestically in blooming vines, the ground began to recede. As the rectangular segment of dirt and grass drew back like a sliding hatch, Night Watch quickly spotted Princess Celestia emerging from a set of stone stairs that trailed down beneath the soil. The soldier made haste as he rushed out of the ballroom and into the garden, grabbing an umbrella with the magic from his horn on his way out.

Rushing up to the princess, Night Watch was quick to salute Celestia upon his arrival. “Your Highness.” The stallion said before presenting the now opened umbrella to the princess, offering to shield her from the ongoing downpour.

“Thank you very much, Night Watch, but that won’t be necessary,” Celestia said with a simple wave of her hoof, letting the rain drench her majestic white pelt and glorious flowing mane that now draped over her golden tiara and in front of one of her eyes. She then looked up into the cluster of dark grey clouds covering the sky. “It’s not often I get to enjoy such wonderful weather.” She said with a smile.

“If you insist,” Night Watch replied, covering himself with the umbrella instead. “I take it the inspection went well then?”

“As usual,” Celestia then stared back into the darkened passageway behind her. “Then again, one can never be too careful with those three, especially now with most of Tartarus’ inhabitants roaming freely across Equestria.”

“Troubling times indeed, ma’am.”

The princess then turned to face Night Watch. “Nevertheless, the sun must rise like it does every day.” She said cheerfully. “Dawn is fast approaching afterall.”

“Indeed, Princess,” the unicorn guard agreed. “Though it is a shame nopony will get to see the sunrise thanks to this morning’s forecast.”

“Oh, what can you do?” Celestia smiled. “The weather team pegasi did say we were long overdue for a few storms this month; might as well enjoy it while we can.”

“Indeed,” Night Watch repeated. Looking up at the princess, something suddenly caught his eye that he hadn’t noticed before, possibly because of the umbrella obscuring his vision at its previous angle, but something was most definitely amiss. Upon closer inspection, the guard pony could see that Celestia had a minor cut extending across her right shoulder, just below her neck. The incision itself wasn’t currently bleeding, but had obviously broken through the skin at some earlier point. “Your Highness,” he then spoke up, pointing a hoof towards Celestia’s wound. “You appear to have been cut.”

The sun princess looked down above her shoulder where Night Watch had directed, and much to her surprise, the cut was rather apparent. “When on earth did that happen?” the alicorn mare muttered lowly to herself. Inspecting the cut further, the princess’ eyes then widened at the sudden realization of what might have caused such a mark. Back at the throne room earlier that night, when she dodged Vergil’s final and desperate attack, she recalled feeling a slight brush of air waft over her shoulder. To think that that devil was still capable of this in such a broken state…it’s rather troubling to say the least. She thought to herself as she reflected on the implications of Vergil’s demonic dexterity.

“Should I retrieve a first aid kit?” Night Watch asked, interrupting Celestia’s train of thought.

“That won’t be necessary,” the princess answered dismissively. “I simply must have gotten careless on my way down those stone stairs. It’s really nothing to worry about.” she explained before igniting her horn with a golden aura and tilting her head over to her shoulder where the cut lay. Concentrating on the cut, she then enveloped the wound with her magical aura and began to heal herself. The cut on her shoulder slowly began to close before eventually disappearing altogether, almost as though it never existed to begin with. “There, all better.” She smiled playfully at the guard pony.

“I still think you should be more cautious next time, your highness.” Night Watch grumbled, scrunching his nose.

“Oh, don’t be such a worrywart, Night Watch.” Celestia giggled in response. “It’s not becoming of you.”

“Well if you’re done with your inspection, I suppose I’ll be heading back down.” The royal guard said as he trotted past Celestia and stopped just at the top of the secret passage, still levitating the umbrella above him with his magic.

“Do take care, Night Watch.”

“Yes, ma’am.” The guard pony then descended down the stairs before closing the segment of ground behind him, concealing the passage entirely.

With an exasperated sigh, Celestia looked up to the thundering clouds once more. Thoughts of the upcoming days soon filled her with both excitement and dread, knowing that these demon days would prove to be a trying time for all of Equestria. Perhaps Twilight is right about those two devils though, she thought, looking over to her recently healed shoulder. Maybe Dante and Vergil are exactly what Equestria needs if we are to weather this coming storm. Still drenched from the rain, the princess then trotted off to the castle, ready to raise the sun for the dawn of a new day.

The morning came almost unnoticed as the storm clouds still hung high in the sky, blocking out the sun while the winds began to howl and the rain continued to pour down. Deep in the Everfree, a shrill, ear-piercing cry could be heard echoing throughout the dense forest, rivaled only by the roaring thunder accompanying the streaks of lightning that flashed across the sky.

“WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYY!”

From out of the underbrush came the source of the cry, as a tall, lanky shadow sprinted its way through the fog-riddled forest with heart-pounding speed. The creature was a black-skinned wraith whose color concealed it under the cloak of night. It ran upright on two legs while its arms rapidly pumped at its side. Its body moved with absurd agility as it constantly weaved in and out of trees that were bunched together without so much as losing accerlation. It strode in long distances while effortlessly bounding over fallen logs or bushes and brambles that obscured its path.

Eventually, the creature began to approach the bridge leading up to the ruins of the old Canterlot Castle. Leaping forward, the black demon dove for one of the shadows cast by a single tree at the edge of the woods. Suddenly, as if the ground itself had somehow morphed into a viscous liquid, the creature plunged headfirst into the tree’s shadow; a ripple resonating across the darkness in its wake. Then from out of the shadow of the tree, a single stream of darkness emerged that stretched its way across the rickety bridge, slithering across and within the surface of everything it passed over.

The black snake-like stream then accumulated into a single pool of darkness as it came to an abrupt stop directly in front of the entrance to the old Canterlot Castle. A hand suddenly reached out from the pool of blackness, and then another as the creature lifted itself from the shadow in which it used to travel. Having fully crawled out from the darkness, the being approached the ruins of Canterlot Castle with a smirk across its face, revealing a row of sharp, glistening white teeth. The back of creature’s head was topped with numerous black, vine-like spines that hung down behind its neck. Its body was slim and appeared almost like an emaciated human, yet gave clear distinctions of a lean and muscular build. His claws in each hand were several inches long and wrapped around its right wrist was a thin silver chain with a small crescent moon charm hanging from it. And most notable of all of its features, were the empty violet irises that dotted the creatues’ unnervingly white eyeballs. This demon was known throughout Tartarus simply as Zamiel the Black Hunter.

Casually strolling through the rain, the demon then made his way into the dilapidated castle, whereupon entry, he gazed up at the stone structure in the center of the holding chamber for the elements of harmony. The now moss-ridden pedestals were completely devoid of their respective elements, no doubt relocated by the princesses themselves, or so he suspected. “The years certainly haven’t been too kind to this rotted old keep.” The demon rasped with a harsh and gravelly voice. After further observation, it was apparent that the crumbling old leaky chamber had nothing left to offer. With a huff, the shadow demon took his leave and made his way across the rain-soaked remains of the courtyard and up the set of stairs that led into the adjacent tower.

After entering the abandoned old tower and climbing up the spiral staircase at the far end of the room, Zamiel had at last arrived in the princesses’ former throne room. As he approached the sisters’ thrones, waves of nostalgia suddenly washed over him while memories from days of old flooded his mind. However, these brief moments in time brought no comfort, but instead, filled the demon with nothing less than contempt and repulsion as his clawed feet scraped the stone floor with every step. Outside, a bolt of lightning struck nearby, temporarily illuminating the room with several flashes and exposing the peculiar shape trailing behind the demon that one would call Zamiel’s shadow. While his shadow flawlessly retained his body’s shape like one normally would, the head of the shadow he cast did not exactly resemble his own. Instead of spines that hung down, two horns extended from the side of his shadow’s head, pointing upwards; much like the same fashion as a Minotaur’s would.

The demon climbed atop the pedestal that elevated the thrones and with a curious eye, began inspecting all around the immediate vicinity. Zamiel didn’t have to look far though, as he almost immediately caught sight of a large, conspicuous crack in the floor behind the sisters’ thrones. The creature stepped around to observe the crack at a better angle and much to his surprise, discovered a set of stairs leading down beneath the castle. With a grin, the demon made haste as he descended the steps into the dark passageway below.

After reaching the bottom, Zamiel quickly scanned all around the pitch black room with relative ease. When one has dwelled and adapted within the bleak confines of Tartarus for centuries on end, the shroud of darkness eventually dissipates from in front of one’s eyes. Walking to the end of the room, Zamiel then came to a stop directly in front of three empty stone pedestals that were lined in front of the ancient glyph which loomed over them. The demon looked to the barren pedestals and exhaled heavily; his breath thick with irritation, disappointment, and disgust. “They’re not here.” He growled, clenching his fists as he looked over the base of each pedestal where the engravings were etched, only to find even the names of these displays missing entirely.

Snapping his head up, Zamiel gazed upon the anciet tablet that depicted the three great beasts reigning over the Gates of Tartarus. He remembered this artifact all too well; its carvings and language, both telling tales of a promise long since abandoned. Zamiel gritted his teeth and turned away. Looking back to the staircase at the opposite end of the room, he knew what must be done if his plans were to proceed further. He then left the room.

Ascending the set of stairs, Zamiel emerged from out of the secret passage behind Celestia and Luna’s throne. As the demon rose from out of the hidden shrine, he was met with the sight of numerous and daunting figures standing before him: every last one shrouded within the shadows of the darkened castle, crowded around the base of the throne, eagerly waiting for a response from the thin, spindly black creature.

“About time you all showed up.” Zamiel said with a condescending sneer, looking down at the demons that had followed after him upon making their escape from Tartarus. The beasts all varied in size and shape; very few proving to be smaller than the usual Jackal or Satyr, otherwise known as Tartarus’ more frequent variety of demon. Others stood on par, if not towered over their more commonplace brethren. Unlike any other cluster or faction that had emerged from out of the hellish pits of Tartarus, this group of demons was far more unique, which is why Zamiel had personally chosen them and them alone to help accomplish his goal.

“Where are our masters?” a lone demon beseeched Zamiel.

Silence pervaded the ruined old throne room as Zamiel quietly contemplated his answer, leaving his followers filled to the brim with anticipation as he stepped down from the princesses’ thrones.

Finally, the shadowy demon, now standing before the crowd of beasts, gave his answer. “The Great Archfiends no longer reside within this castle,” he calmly stated, leaving the mass of demons stunned with disbelief. “It would seem as though that loathesome mare has relocated our dear brethren, no doubt hiding them away under her oppressively watchful eye.”

The black creature’s answer was unfortunately not well received among his peers as the demons clamored in protest; many now arguing amongst themselves, while others chatted away worriedly, their faith in the black wraith now slowly fading.

“You led us out here for nothing?!” cried a stray demon over the uproar.

“You told us our Masters would be here!” another large, bulkier demon bellowed.

“You lied to us!” a much smaller demon shrieked, joined in by a cacophony of jeers from every demon within the room.

Zamiel groaned as the now irritable bunch of demons continued to shout over one another amidst the chaos. He gritted his teeth, inhaled and tilted his head back, ready to deliver a deafening cry over the insolent inhabitants of Tartarus. “WRRRRR-”

“SILEEEEEEEEEENCE!” roared a deep and booming voice from within the riotous mob, completely cutting Zamiel off mid-shriek.

Suddenly the disruptive behavior had ceased and the room went silent once more. All eyes were then drawn to a massive Satyr stepping forward from out of the crowd. He was much taller and more muscular than the typical bipedal goat demon. Rather than tote a spear or a hooked staff, he brandished a large broadsword holstered around his waist. But, what stood out most for this demon was the broken horn that skewed the symmetry of the two horns atop of his forehead. It was then that both Zamiel and the hushed crowd of demons recognized the creature who had stepped forth. His name was Philoctetes, the notorious captain of the Satyrs, Jackals and other lesser demons. His very presence exuded pride and authority. As soon as he confronted Zamiel, towering over the scrawny shadow, the massive satyr then whirled around to face the crowd of demons. “Enough of this foolish rabbling! Acting like children will get us nowhere!” commanded Philoctetes. “You’re demons! Have some dignity, you curs!"

“Ah, Philoctetes,” Zamiel greeted the captain with a grin, placing his hand upon the demon’s shoulder. “I cannot thank you enough for establishing some order among such an insipid and unruly lot.”

“Do not thank me yet,” Philoctetes coldly stated as he brushed aside Zamiel’s hand. “You still have much to answer for, little demon.”

Zamiel gave the satyr a quizzical look. “Come again?”

“You told us that upon our release, you would lead us to our masters, The Great Archfiends. You said you knew where they were!”

“’Were’, being the keyword here.” Zamiel tried to explain offhandedly.

“So you admit you know not where they are!” Philoctetes persecuted the black demon further, stirring the onlooking crowd into a series of hushed murmurs.

“I’ve admitted no such thing,” Zamiel answered, dismissing the captain’s accusations. “Given our circumstances now, I know exactly where they are!

“Then where?”

“No doubt within the confines of the princesses’ new castle. You of all demons should at be able to deduce such an obvious conclusion, can’t you? Let’s face it; we all should have expected this from that vile equestrian princess.”

“So what do you propose then?” Philoctetes asked as both his and the onlookers’ curiosity was now piqued.

“The plan remains the same,” Zamiel explained. “You and everyone else will recruit and rally our subordinates who’ve, by now, scattered themselves all across the countryside; no doubt turning Equestria into their personal haunting ground for debauchery and the like.” He muttered in disgust. “Then that will simply leave me to retrieve our forlorn brethren out from under the princess’ nose. It’s only fitting, seeing as how I’m the only one among you that practices some semblance of stealth.”

“Well, you always were one to go unnoticed.” the satyr captain maliciously quipped, much to Zamiel’s annoyance.

“So what’s your answer?” the shadow demon asked, ignoring Philoctete’s snide remark. “Are you with me or not?”

Philoctetes merely looked down at Zamiel with a furious glare. “No.” he finally answered, crossing his arms.

Zamiel was taken back by the large demon’s bold reply while a few gasps could be heard coming from the surrounding crowd. “Why not?!” he asked incredulously.

“I refuse to chase shadows,” Philoctetes declared. “Let alone entrust a demon as feeble as one with the delicate task of locating our masters.”

“You need me,” Zamiel growled. “I’m the only one here who can awaken them!”

“That is true,” the captain admitted. “But as of now, you won’t be needed.” He criticized, pointing a clawed finger directly in the wraith’s face. “A weakling like you should learn his place. Remember: the only reason any of us escaped Tartarus was by chance alone. No one knew when those doors would open. You just simply sat and waited.”

“And because of that, we all received the opportune moment to flee that prison amidst the chaos, thanks to your soldiers.” Zamiel argued.

“That’s right; my soldiers. It was my soldiers who led the charge, my soldiers who were mercilessly slaughtered by whatever that crimson fiend was waiting for us at the gates, my soldiers whom you let scatter wherever the wind blew because of your hare-brained scheme!”

“What are you implying, Philoctetes?” the dark demon inquired.

“What I’m saying is that you’re obviously unfit to lead.” The large satyr answered bluntly. “From here on out, I’ll be taking charge, and I say we should focus solely on regrouping our scattered forces. Only then can we hope to take back the Archfiends.”

Zamiel grimaced at the thought of Philoctetes taking control of his operation. He had already led his brethren this far and would be damned if he were to let that bull-headed oaf of a captain steal away what authority he had over these demons. After a pregnant silence, Zamiel finally spoke. “Fine then, have it your way,” he replied with a wry smile. “But before you depart, allow me to say one last thing.”

“What is it?” the satyr barked. “Make it qui-”

*SHINK*

A metallic squelch erupted from Philoctete’s chest, as did a clawed black hand. The onlooking demons silently gawked at the source of the attack. Directly behind the captain of the Satyrs, was Zamiel’s horned shadow, materialized from the waist up out of Philoctete’s own with it’s’ outstretched and bloodied arm impaling the breathless demon.

“Your shadow betrays you,” Zamiel smirked. “Just as you have betrayed me.” A curved, black blade then protruded out from one of the wraith’s forearms, extending back to his elbow.

“You dare…*cough*…t-turn on *cough* your own kind!?” Philoctetes weakly wheezed, his legs no longer providing him the strength to stand, leaving him propped up only by Zamiel’s faceless shadow.

“Me? Betray my brethren?” Zamiel asked incredulously. “No,” he snarled, his face contorting with a mixture of fury and disgust. “I’m simply relieving you of your duties…” Raising his forearm, Zamiel swiftly delivered a powerful strike across Philoctete’s midsection, slicing the satyr captain clean in half. “And your life!”

As the deceased Philoctetes' lower half topped to the floor, blood spilled from his severed torso as if it were a broken bottle of wine. Zamiel’s shadow then receded back into the ground, reuniting with its master. The remains of the captain dropped to the floor with a wet smack before igniting into a burst of blue flames.

When there was nothing but a stain left of Philoctetes, Zamiel retracted the curved blade back into his arm, a low squelch resounding as the flesh of his forearm shifted back to its natural state. “Any more objections!?” the wraith asked, gazing at the crowd of demons.

The freshly satyrless group of onlookers mumbled nervously amongst themselves, but dared not voice their protests to the source of their dismay.

“Good,” The shadow demon inhaled sharply and closed his eyes. Turning his back to the demons, he then sauntered over to the princesses’ thrones. He took his time, fingers dancing in the night as his hand reached out to Luna’s throne, tenderly caressing the backing of the seat. As he wound behind Luna’s throne, he stepped between the two relics and with a boast of satisfaction, sat himself in Celestia’s former throne. Elbows against his knees, and fingers knitted together, he opened his eyes and said, “We have work to do.”

Part 1: END

Author's Note:

Chapter Name Inspired by this Funeral Death March Theme: