• Published 7th Jul 2015
  • 993 Views, 14 Comments

Letters of a New Friendship Student - Serina



After Princess Twilight came to Canterlot to amend her friendships with some old marefriends, she inspires one pony to begin a journey to learn everything she can about the power of friendship.

  • ...
1
 14
 993

Day 2: Building Bridges

Dear Princess Twilight,

Today I learned that when your old friends have made new friends it can be a little awkward at first but it’s okay because that friend isn’t replacing you whatsoever, they are just expanding their friendshipness, I guess. Not sure about the wording, I’ll get back to you on that one.

The train ride took forever, but we finally got to Ponyville. I’ve never been out of Canterlot before so I was a bit of a nervous wreck but my friends helped me through it, specially Minutte. She kept talking to everypony on the train to the point where I thought their ears were going to fall off. The scenery is beautiful this summer and Twinkleshine said it looks even better during Autumn so I suppose I’ll have to come visit then too.

We could all see your castle from miles away, we couldn’t believe how big it is! How did that even happen, Twilight? It looks like a giant crystal tree of some sort, I’m not familiar with the material as far as I know. Maybe we could conduct some test while I’m in town, that is, if you haven’t thought about finding out what material the castle is even made of.

We’re staying at Lyra’s place, well and Bon Bon’s. That’s her best friend, apparently. They’re really two interesting ponies, always complimenting each other and helping one another. They’re absolutely adorable really. Of course, that isn’t what I thought at first.

You see, I thought Lyra was replacing us with Bon Bon and I got quite upset at the time. We met at this tea shop close to their apartment. Our friends forgot to even mention Bon Bon so it threw me for a loop when Lyra came walking towards us with another mare. We all introduced ourselves but I was still steaming on the inside.

After we had a few drinks and some snacks we began to walk back to the apartment with our stuff. I couldn’t look at Lyra, I felt so betrayed. She caught on, asked me what was wrong while Bon Bon was showing the others around their apartment. I tried to remain calm but that didn’t work too well.


After listening the whole time she just… laughed. Laughing, not the first reaction I had predicted in all the possible outcomes of this situation but there she was, laughing away. She explained to me that Bon Bon wasn’t replacing anypony and that she was her roommate when she first moved to Ponyville. They really hit it off after the first few weeks and ever since have become inseparable.

“See,” Lyra said to me as I looked at my own hooves. “I’m not replacing you or any of my other friends. It’s just important to make new friends as to stay in contact with old ones because having too many friends is never a bad thing.” She paused. “Scratch that. The only exception is Hearth’s Warming Eve, too many presents to buy and not enough bits.

That cause me to giggle. We hugged, made up, and went inside. I warmed up to Bon Bon and she even was helping me learn how to cook. She’s really nice, I understand why Lyra would want to be around her all the time.

You can really see the stars in the sky in Ponyville, no giant buildings blocking your view. It’s a beautiful sight, all those constellations twinkling up there.

Sorry we didn’t stop by today but we’re going to be here for about a week so we’ll have plenty of time to come visit you! Tell Spike I say hi!

Your sleepy student,

Moondancer

Author's Note:

Anypony else love in episode 100 that Lyra and Bon Bon kept emphasizing "best friends" because I did. Gosh, the expression on their faces and their body language was fantastic.
Yes, Moondancer can't cook that well. She always bought food out because I figured a pony with her intellect probably gets paid for research but never aspired to do anything else other than study, eat, and pay rent.