• Published 29th May 2012
  • 2,698 Views, 34 Comments

Carnival of a Lifetime - linksbro1



The CMC are attracted to some music in the EverFree Forest in the dead of night...

  • ...
5
 34
 2,698

Eye of the Web

This fanfic is based on SadJosieph's Carnival Cat vs. Ponyville found here:

Listen to the songs in the story as you read for best effect!
________________________________________________________________________________

As the strange music faded from the air around the 3 young fouls, Apple Bloom couldn't get their conversation with Catherine out of her head. Catherine had invited them back for the next morning, saying that she had to finish setting up the park, but that everyone in Ponyville would know were to go. As they trotted out of the forest, and back towards Sweet Apple Acres, Sweetie Belle broke the silence "What do you think she meant by everypo- er.. everyone in Ponyville knowing were to go?" Apple Bloom sighed "She probably just put up posters all over Ponyville, and I know she said everyone, but she thinks she's a cat, remember? So it is grammatically accurate." Scootaloo looked very angry all of a sudden "What's the matter?" Apple Bloom asked, looking at Scootaloo "I still sort of hate Ms. Cherilee for wasting so much time with the whole 'everypony vs. everyone' debate, she talks WAY too fast sometimes, so I didn't even understand half of it!" Scootaloo burst out "Is that it?" Sweetie Belle laughed "I expected something a bit more important than-" "There's the farmhouse" Scootaloo cut her off abruptly, clearly trying to avoid the entire subject

They entered the front door as quietly as they could, but their efforts to be quiet were made in vain, as somepony was sitting at the table waiting for them. "What in tarnation were ya thinkin'?!" Applejack said in a voice that was obviously restraining shouts "Do ya have ANY idea of what time it is??" The crusaders shuffled their hooves guiltily braced for the lecture, and after a few minutes, Applejack had sighed, "Now, where's Big Mac?" the crusaders looked at each other "What do you mean?" Sweetie Belle asked. Applejack rolled her eyes "I sent him to go get ya three, did ya not see him?" As the fouls shook their heads, Applejack sighed, "Well, he'll come home eventually, and I guess no luck with the cutie marks, eh?" This last remark seemed to have the biggest impact on the crusaders than anything she said before, as Applejack watched their faces go into a depressed state, she quickly changed the subject "Well, what you were doing in the forest?" At this, the three fouls burst into explanations of the events in the Everfree Forest, and the more they spoke, the more uneasy Applejack became.

Walking through the forest, Big Mac started to wonder if he was walking in circles, he was positive he saw that strange curvy branch 37 times already... 38... 39... 40... there was something definitely wrong here, Big Mac knew he was walking in a strait line, he had dismissed the notion of the forest being "alive", but now, he was willing to accept that at least something was in the forest. As he considered turning around and trying a different route, he heard the music. This slightly worried Big Mac, but he needed to find Apple Bloom and the others, so he continued deeper into the forest. As the music grew louder, he began to wonder if the 3 fillies had turned back and gone back to the house. Just when Big Mac was about to turn around to go back to the house, he wandered into a clearing, and his jaw dropped.


There was a CARNIVAL, a dang CARNIVAL in the middle of the EverFree Forest! As he stood there, jaw hanging open, he noticed a strangely colored pony running around instructing other ponies, examining the booths, and instructing the ponies again, all the while with a manic grin on her face. As Big Mac watched her, the pony turned and noticed her watcher, smiled even wider, and wandered towards him. Big Mac was startled by her speed, and within a second, the pony was hooves away from him. "Welcome to the playground of insanity!" The pony cried. Big Mac just stood and stared at the pony, before coughing slightly, and speaking "Who're you?" The pony frowned "Oh, the crusaders haven't spread the word yet? The way I heard, they were going to tell every living creature they met about me and my carnival! But I guess they've only had about twenty minutes since they left, I'd say they'd be out of the forest by now..."


Big Mac raised an eyebrow "Ye saw my little sister did ya? Didn't cause no trouble did she?" The pony laughed "Oh if only she had! This place needs trouble! But where are my manners? My name is Catherine The Carnival Cat! You must be Big Macintosh. Oh don't look surprised" She cackled at Big Mac's look of shock "Why would I not get information about Ponyville before choosing a location so close to it?" Big Mac frowned "But how'd you known my name? Information about Ponyville is completely different from knowing the names of the residents" he said nervously. Looking around more carefully, he saw that there was a lot more that needed to be done; tents lying flat, booths knocked over in the wind, the other ponies looking lost now that their commander was busy. "I can help ya set up the place, if you want." Catherine's face broke into an even wider smile "Oh thank you Big Macintosh!" she cried "Uh... just call me Big Mac" he muttered nervously before walking off towards the closest tent. "Well, 'Big Mac' thank you for the help, now just stay until the carnival is over." Catherine said to herself before slowly trotting over to the trees "And I think I will need to bring the three crusaders back..." she muttered into into the trees. With a spark of insane laughter she scrambled back to work.



"So lemme get this strait." Applejack said "There is a CARNIVAL. In the middle of the EVERFREE FORREST?" The crusaders nodded "And there's some psycho looking pony in charge of the place?" they nodded again "Aaaaaaaaaand she thinks she's a CAT?" the crusaders looked at each other "Yes big sister, we told you three dang times already" Apple Bloom said impatiently. Applejack seemed not to be listening. She looked out the kitchen window before another long sigh. "I'm gonna go find Big Mac, you three stay here, I dunno about this Carnival Cat, she could be dangerous, Big Mac is tough, but he'd never hit a lady." Apple Bloom looked scared "What if she isn't dangerous?" Sweetie Bell asked, causing Applejack to smile "Then I'll invite her over for lunch." she answered, before walking out the front door and into the darkness. The crusaders looked at each other. "Let's stay on the front porch, so we can see her coming back." Apple Bloom said, "How are we going to see her? It's almost midnight!" Scootaloo cried "Either way, we could be ready if she needs help" Apple Bloom replied, before opening the door, and walking onto the porch. Scootaloo and Sweetie Bell followed, but when they stepped outside, Apple Bloom was gone.

"Apple Bloom!" Scootaloo bellowed "Where'd you go?" "She's not behind the house." Sweetie Belle panted, sprinting around a corner of the house. "Where in Equestria did she go?" Scootaloo cried, before something answered her. "Into the darkness." Sweetie Bell shrieked as a shapeless mass emerged from the shadows. "WHAT DID YOU DO WITH HER?" Scootaloo screamed at the creature. For an answer, the creature moved towards them, so fast that neither of the young fillies had time to react. Within a second, they were gone. Scootaloo and Sweetie Bell had vanished, as the shapeless creature moved back towards the EverFree Forest.


(Image by Sand-Josieph, Used with Permission)

Author's Note:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here we go!
Time for an update finally :3
I will try to have the next chapter out by the 31st, for Halloween!
Sorry to all those who waited patiently for this, I will update (hopefully) weekly from now on
~~~~linksbro1~~~~