• Published 29th May 2012
  • 2,698 Views, 34 Comments

Carnival of a Lifetime - linksbro1



The CMC are attracted to some music in the EverFree Forest in the dead of night...

  • ...
5
 34
 2,698

Mysterious Music

This fanfic is based on SadJosieph's Carnival Cat vs. Ponyville found here:

When a video appears, listen to it while you read for best effect
________________________________________________________________________________

"Can you hear that?" Apple Bloom said suddenly
"Hear what? Scootaloo asked. The Cutie Mark Crusaders were having a sleepover at Apple Bloom's house, trying, according to Scootaloo, for the 162nd time trying to get their cutie marks. Sweetie Belle looked up from the microscope, she had been trying to find out if she was a scientist
"That sort of... jumpy music?" she asked
"Ya! It's jumpy." Apple Bloom looked out the window "Who in their right minds would play music this loudly at night! Most ponies are trying to sleep!"
"Maybe it's Pinkie." Scootaloo suggested, as she looked back down to her box of tools and notes, she had been trying to find out if she was an inventor
"I don't think so," Apple Bloom said "She usually stops at around 10" She looked at the clock. "It's 11 now, and she isn't having a party tonight, otherwise big sis would be there!" She looked down at her blueprints, box of tools, magnifying glass, and circuit boards, she had been trying to find out if she was an engineer.
"Well, we've all tried everything we brought" Scootaloo said "I say we go and see what's going on."
"Might as well" Sweetie Belle sighed, they scrambled around looking for things they might need
"Got everything?" Scootaloo asked
"Yup!" Apple Bloom whispered "Snacks, whistle, flash light, siren, small bat-"
Sweetie Belle squealed "A BAT? WHERE?"
"SHHH! It's a small Baseball Bat!" Apple Bloom whispered
"Oh thank goodness"
"Ya, ya, we get it, can we go now?"
They walked outside, Scootaloo listened as hard as she could "Sounds like it's coming from that way"
"Then lets go!" Apple Bloom cried, as she ran ahead, the others following close behind, as soon as they were out of earshot, Applejack and Big mac walked outside the house
"Did they just-"
"Eeyup."
"Can you take care of em Big bro?"
"Eeyup."
"Thanks." Applejack went back inside while Big Mac followed the Crusaders.


As the crusaders trotted along, Apple Bloom finally broke the silence "It sounds like it's coming from the EverFree Forest, should we-" "Of course!" The other two cried. More steady pacing, as they all contemplated whether traveling into the forest at night(AGAIN) was a good idea. Scootaloo stopped staring up at the sky, the others bumped into her, they looked where she was looking, and they saw search lights coming from the forest, this did nothing but encourage them to run faster. As they were engulfed by the blanket of leaves, Skootaloo finally spoke "What to you think it is?"
"Quit- running-" Sweetie Belle gasped "Stop- snack- tired-" They stopped, the music was much loader now, they could finally hear it clearly.

After a few minutes of snaking on apples (what else) they started walking much more slowly towards the sounds. After a few minutes of walking, they stumbled into a large clearing, and they couldn't believe their eyes.
They looked at each other "Are we seeing the same thing, or are we just up really late?" Sweetie Belle asked.
She was answered by a piercing shriek of laughter, the three fillies turned, and there stood the most frightening pony they had ever seen, her coat was a sickly green hue, her mane and tail were silver white, but with a black streak, she was wearing a red and white striped jacket, with bat wing spikes around her front hooves, with red and yellow shoes on her back hooves. But the most frightening thing about this pony was her eyes, the left eye was yellow, but red where there should be white, and the right eye was red, but yellow where there should be white! Frightening thoughts ran through the three fillies minds, and Apple Bloom thought that this pony could just be a creation of Discord.

Finally, the silence was shattered like a window that was shot by a cannon, as the pony yelled "Welcome to Catherine's Park! I am the owner of this psychotic playground, Catherine, The Carnival Cat!"



There was a long pause, "Cat?" Apple Bloom finally said "But you're a pony!" The pony's eyes seemed to burn into Apple Bloom's retinas "I AM NOT A PONY!" She shouted "Well you look like one..." Scootaloo commented "Do I look equine? These ears are definitely of feline nature!" The pony retorted "But what about your mane and tail?" Sweetie Belle asked "SILENCE! Let us never speak of this again." The pony turned to face them. The crusaders rolled their eyes at each other, but if this pony wanted to be called a cat, it would be a good idea to comply.

"Sorry," Apple Bloom said "It was just the mane, but then I remembered lions have manes, and they're a cat." "Ya!" Sweetie Belle chimed in "I uh... really like your mane." "Thank you" The pony said "As I said, my name is Catherine, but I would prefer you to call me The Carnival Cat." There was a long pause, as the crusaders contemplated the pony before them. "Um, Cather- I mean, Carnival Cat?" Apple Bloom asked "Why did you set up a carnival in the middle of the Everfree Forest in the middle of the night? It would have been better to set up closer to Ponyville during the day." Catherine chuckled "Obviously because it is just better to be in a place of beauty!" The crusaders looked at each other, and they silently agreed, this pony was insane, first thinking she was a cat, and now thinking that this horrifying place is beautiful? As they glanced back to the disturbing pony, she was starting to wander off, with a look of frustration on her face.

As the 3 slightly frightened fouls looked around, they thought about what they always think about "Maybe this will help us get our cutie marks!" Scootaloo said, making Catherine stop and turn back to the young fillies "Ya!" Apple Bloom cheered "We could be the... uh... the... The Carnival Crusaders!" "Perfect!" Sweetie Belle chimed, and turned to Catherine "What's your cutie mark?" This small remark that would usually cause no confusing made Catherine frown "Cutie what?" "It's a mark on your flank- uh.... back! It usually describes you or your special talent" Scootaloo explained "Well... I do have this mark on my side" Catherine turned to show them, and all three of them gasped. The cutie mark that they saw still makes them wonder to this very day, what talent a Spider Web could possibly describe.


(Image by McSadat, Used with permission)