• Published 20th May 2012
  • 2,390 Views, 153 Comments

Guide You Home - Magical Trevor



A wandering magician, searching for a place to call home, has given up all hopes of having a 'normal' life. Going to Princess Luna for help, he quickly realizes that 'normal' is a... relative word, to say the least.

  • ...
2
 153
 2,390

Chapter the Eighth

After spending awhile debating their options, the Foal’s Forray Parley was no closer to solving their dilemma than before. Frustrated, Hot Shot asked again, “Are you sure your sister is seeing somepony, Snowdrift?”

Another of the foals nodded firmly, squeaking, “Yeah, positive! She was puttin’ on make-up and perfumes and stuffs when left home, and she only ever does that when she’s got a date!”

The rest of the foals sighed, glancing to the ground as they thought once more. Milky Way frowned to herself, saying quietly, “We have to be overlooking somepony... There has to be someone we know who could take Mr. Moonstone for his first date! Who’re we missing?”

The room was silent for a moment, before she exclaimed, “I’ve got it!”

Waving the rest of the foals over to herself eagerly, she pointed into the next room, where Starlight and Moonstone were sitting. “I’ll get my sister to do it! He’s already said that he thinks she looks beautiful, so it’s gotta work! Come on, let’s get this date started!”

Leading the pack triumphantly, Milky Way made her way to the two older ponies, declaring, “Alright! We’ve figured out the problem, and we’re gonna get Mr. Moonstone a date!”

Moonstone looked away, his face turning a deep crimson as he mumbled, “N-no, it’s okay, you don’t have to worry about me. There’s lots of other things I’ve never done, so it’s not the end of the world if I’ve never been on a date.”

“Are you trying to tell a filly what she can or can’t do on her birthday? For shame, Moonstone,” Digit chastised, his moderately deep voice surprising them all, since nopony had seen him enter the room. “If the birthday girl has something in mind, then you have to do it. It’s tradition!”

Moonstone chose to stay silent, though his cheeks remained a bright red. Milky Way, having been backed up by her father, nodded firmly. “Yeah, so deal with it, because you’re going on a date!”

Moonstone’s eyes bulged, before he backed up, barely keeping from tripping on his own tail. “B-b-but I can’t! I can’t ask anyone out! I... I can barely talk to Lady Starlight for crying out loud! How am I supposed to ask out a complete stranger?”

“Because you’re gonna ask Sona out!” Milky chirped, grinning from ear to ear.

What?!” two voices exclaimed at once, their owners blushing heavily.

“Yeah, isn’t it great?!” Milky Way explained as she glomped her sister. “See, ‘cause we didn’t know anyone who was single aside from you, and we knew that we couldn’t ask some stranger to go on a date, and we know that Mr. Moonstone thinks you’re hot, and you’ve dated before, so you can tell him what not to do on any future dates, and I can come along because it’s my birthday!” she finished in one breath, before gasping, her lungs trying to recover some much-needed oxygen after being deprived for so long.

“I... but... that,” Moonstone stuttered, his face putting some apples to shame from the brightness of his blush. “I... You can’t force somepony to go on a date with me! That’s wrong! Maybe I don’t want to go on a date with Lady Starlight!”

“What’s wrong with me?!” Starlight bristled, insulted. After half a second, she added hastily, “Maybe I don’t want to go on a date with you!”

“Exactly!” Moonstone agreed, nodding firmly.

Milky Way, however, merely stuck her tongue out, saying, “Well too bad, cause it’s my birthday, so you have to do what I say! It’s a rule!”

“Is not!” Starlight protested, stomping her shoe-clad hoof.

“Is too! Daddy said so!” Milky Way pointed to their father, who was, unsucessfully, trying not to laugh.

“Dad, come on, tell her that-”

“You have to do what she says, Star,” her father interrupted her, grinning widely.

What?!

“We had a deal, Star! He teaches Milly how to use magic, and in return I said I’d help him learn more about how city ponies act, and, I’m sorry, but I certainly can’t take him on a date! What would your mother say?” Digit protested, his expression of mock horror causing the foals to giggle.

“I... But-”

“Nopony is saying you have to actually take him on a date, Starlight,” her father snapped. “Just act like you’re on a date, tell him what a normal date would be like, what questions you’d ask, and so on and so on! It’s not like your sister is asking that much of you.”

“... Fine,” she sighed, hanging her head, while all of the other foals cheered.

“Yay! Thank you sissy!” Milky said excitedly, giving her sister a kiss on the cheek, before jumping on Starlight’s back, gripping her mane to help keep balance. “Now let’s go! Alright Mr. Moonstone, I’ll tell you all about dating!” she declared, nodding wisely in the way of foals.

“Y-you really don’t have to do this,” Moonstone protested weakly. Galexia, who had been lounging around, taking a nap, having had enough of their protests, jumped from her perch, landing on Moonstone’s muzzle, glaring him into submission. “A-alright, Lex, I-I’ll go...”

Having adequately dealt with her master, she jumped over to Starlight, before hopping to Milky Way, nestling between her and Starlight’s mane, purring as she dozed off once more.

.o.O.o.

“We hafta go to the-the florist’s to get flowers, ‘cause you should always always ALWAYS get flowers for the mare, cause that’s the right thing to do, and then we should, we should go to the park! ‘Cause the park is a great place for a date, because you can walk a lot and talk while you walk about how she’s more prettier than the flowers and stuff, and sometimes there might be like a musician or something in the park, and you should give them money ‘cause it shows that you’re, that you’re gemer... gender...” Milky Way stammered, growing frustrated that she couldn’t pronounce the correct word.

“Generous?” Moonstone inquired, looking at the filly riding on Starlight’s back.

“Yeah, that! And then you should get her something sweet, because by then you’ll both be tired from walking, and hungry, so then you go out for lunch or dinner or a snack, like ice cream, and then you walk her home, cause it might be dark, and you don’t know if some thieves or bad ponies are waiting for her to walk by an alley all by herself to steal her money or hurt her, and then when you get to her house, you tell her thank you for the date, and that she’s really pretty, and you hope she had a fun time, and then if you did a good job she kisses you! And that is how you date!” the creame-coated filly declared with her infinite wisdom, nodding sagely.

“That sounds... simple enough, I suppose. It sounded like it was more complicated than that, though,” Moonstone murmured, lost in thought.

“Well, if it’s that simple, then try it on me,” Starlight said cattily, still in a huff at being forced to go on a ‘date’ with Moonstone.

“Really?! You’d do that for me? Thanks! I thought we were just going to talk!” Moonstone replied, ignoring her condescending tone.

Starlight was silent for a minute, not having expected Moonstone to sound so eager. After composing herself, she said, “Alright, so let’s talk.”

“Alright... About what, exactly?” Moonstone asked nervously, lagging behind Starlight, not knowing the city.

“Don’t lag behind, you’re supposed to be leading me, Moonstone!” Starlight snapped, stopping in her tracks so that he overtook her again.

However, her harsh tone earned her a hard bonk to the head from her younger sister, who reprimanded her. “Hey, don’t be a Meanie Head McMeany pants! Just cause he doesn’t know or forgot doesn’t mean you have to be all yelly about it! Give him some slacks!”

“I-it’s alright, Miss Milky, she can yell at me,” Moonstone stopped her, holding out a hoof. “I’ll remember better that way.” Turning to Starlight, he continued, “Don’t hold back or anything, alright? If that’s how you would normally act on a date, then please, go ahead. It’s not a real date, but this might be the closest thing I’ll ever have, so... Just act normally. So um... What do we talk about, exactly?”

She rolled her eyes, sighing, “Ourselves, alright? What your favourite color is, what you like, dislike, what your personality is, that kind of stuff.”

“Oh... So... What’s your favourite color and why?” Moonstone asked hesitantly, starting to lead the way through the park.

Starlight sighed to herself, muttering, “This is going to be a long, long day...”

.o.O.o.

After almost an entire hour of sarcastic answers and reprimands from the purple pegasus, Milky Way suggested that they go to get flowers, because ‘getting flowers for your special somepony is somethin’ ya have to do!’

Leaving Starlight Sonata outside all by her lonesome, Milky Way decided that ‘Mr. Moonstone had to have her help, since he didn’t know what flowers meant what’, and stuff like that.

As they walked into the fairly large store, Moonstone was assaulted with rows upon rows of different flowers, all with their own signs as to their meaning, how to grow them, and how much they cost. Moonstone looked around while Milky Way eagerly read all of the signs to him, though he paid them little attention. After several minutes, he asked, “So what flowers have you gotten before? Have you ever gotten any flowers? What was your first?”

Milky Way giggled, answering, “Weeeeeeeeeeell... Hot Streak got me some dandelions a couple of years ago when we were playing outside with everyone else...”

“Oh? So are you two-”

“N-no we’re not!” she protested, blushing madly as she looked away.

“Oh, so you’re not yet, but you want to be?” Moonstone guessed, her blushing easy to see on her pale coat.

“N... I... J-just hurry up and pick out some flowers for my Sissy already! I want ice cream!” she said, flustered, trying to distract him.

“Eyes cream?! City ponies eat cream made from eyes?!” Moonstone shouted in shock, his mouth gaping.

“What? Eww, no, don’t be gross!” Milky gagged, sticking her tongue out in disgust. “Ice cream, not eyes! It’s like... frozen milk and sugar!”

“Sugar? You mean that energy stuff that was in the donuts this morning?” Moonstone questioned, turning back to the small unicorn.

“Yeah! Sugar is, like, the bestest best thing in the world!” she exclaimed, jumping high into the air. “I wanna eat it all day and all night and even while I’m sleeping! But,” she continued, her voice reflecting her depression, “Sissy said that if I eat too much of it, I won’t grow up to be big and strong and beautiful like she is, so I try not to eat too much, cause I wanna be pretty like she is.”

“Well, if you grow up to be half as pretty as your sister, then you’ll be positively stunning,” Moonstone reassured her, nodding. “And now that I’ve got the flowers, let’s get going! I want to try this... ice cream, you said?”

“But if I’d be positively stunning at half the prettiness of Sissy, then what would she ice cream?!” she shouted, her attention diverted from what he said about Starlight to a more pressing matter at hoof: namely, ice cream.

Pleased with herself, Milky Way led the way out of the store, before it occurred to her that she still didn’t know what flower he had gotten for her sister.

.o.O.o.

Starlight Sonata sat outside on a bench, preening a wing absently, feeling very pleased with herself. She had not only made it so that they weren’t on a real date, like her sister had wanted, but she was also allowed to, in essence, make fun of Moonstone and yell at him when he messed up on their ‘date’? Does it get any better than this? she pondered with a grin, before shaking her wing back into place.

Now, let’s see, what kind of flower is he likely to get? I can see him getting me a rose, since that’s what most stories say, or, if he listens to the florist, he might get me lillies, or daisies, or “What? Dandelions?” she questioned, jerking her head back as she hadn’t noticed her sister’s arrival with Moonstone, the flowers suddenly before her.

“Yep! Dandelions,” Moonstone said proudly, smiling contentedly. “I thought they were appropriate, and they smelled lemony, and since you said you liked lemons...”

Starlight, her brain short-circuting, asked bluntly, “Why the hell did you get me these? They don’t have a meaning! I was wondering before if you were brain deficient or something, but really?”

Moonstone frowned, looking down at the flowers, before he asked simply, “You don’t know the meaning of dandelions?”

“They don’t have a meaning, moron! They’re a weed that stupid colts will give fillies when they’re small because they think it’ll impress them!”

Moonstone frowned, feeling very disappointed in the mare in front of him. “So what? If it does impress them when they’re small, then what’s the problem with that? And, actually, there is a meaning to dandelions! You just haven’t noticed.”

Starlight grew quiet, her mind almost shutting down, trying to process what she was being told. Is he... calling me stupid? What possible meaning could there be in-

“It’s a colt’s way of telling a filly that he thinks she’s pretty, and that he’d like to get to know her better and be her friend. A-and that-” he stumbled, swallowing nervously. “T-that’s what I wanted to say. I think you’re pretty, and I want you to be my friend, and I want to learn more about you...”

Starlight accepted the dandelions mutely, her brain still trying to process what was said. I... After all I’ve put him through, with all of the teasing and... How is he still so cheerful? Can’t he take a hint?

“Come on, Sissy! Time for ice creams, time for ice creams!” Milky Way cheered, glomping her sister, nestling herself between her sister’s wings.

“Y-yeah, right, ice cream,” Starlight replied numbly,

Moonstone, blushing, mumbled quietly, “Sorry, Lady Starlight, I kinda promised her some when we were in the store. Do you know where we might procure some?”

“We have some at the house, silly!” Milky replied, giggling.

“Oh, alright... So, Lady Starlight, I’m um, supposed to lead the way home, right?” Moonstone asked hesitantly, starting to take the lead, but looking over his shoulder questioningly.

“You’re the stallion: you don’t ask, you decide, unless you’re asking where they want to go next,” Starlight replied automatically, her voice still snarky, though some of it had faded. “So yes, if you know the way, you should lead. Always.”

“R-right, sorry. Thank you,” Moonstone said simply, turning back to the front, starting to navigate his way back to her house.

.o.O.o.

Several silence-filled minutes later found them in front of the Starlight’s house, where Milky rushed inside to get her part of the arrangement fulfilled, leaving Moonstone and Starlight standing awkwardly next to each other, shuffling their hooves. After watching a bug fly past them slowly, Moonstone cleared his throat quietly, stuttering, “W-well, t-thanks again for all of the help, Lady Starlight. I... can’t explain to you how... nice this was. Being able to pretend, if only for a couple hours, that I was normal and not... cursed or whatever... I’m sorry that I annoyed you, and if there’s anything I can do to repay you later, I’ll do it. Um... T-thanks again.”

Starlight watched dumbly as he bowed deeply to her, before making his way to the door, before turning around, holding it open for her.

Starlight didn’t move, choosing to stand still, just staring at the white stallion. How can he just... Is he really that oblivious that he didn’t know I was insulting him, or is he simply ignoring that?

“It’s alright, Moonstone, head on in. I’d like a word alone with my daughter,” Digit Pi said quietly, his face and tone unreadable.

Moonstone hesitated for a moment, before nodding, heading inside. “If you say so, Sir. I’ll just tell them a story or something until you get back, unless it’s okay if I start trying to teach magic...”

“Go ahead. I’ve got stuff set up in the library for you. Just ask Milly to lead the way.” Digit said, still looking at his now-nervous daughter, who was trying not to shuffle her hooves.

Moonstone nodded, heading inside, leaving Digit Pi and his daughter alone in their small front garden. There was silence for a moment, before he slowly made his way to his daughter, asking quietly, “So, Star, is there something you wanted to tell me about the ‘date’ that you and Moonstone went on? Any troubles or anything?”

Starlight remained silent, thinking over her choices in her head, before shaking her head, answering, “No, no he was a gentlecolt... The few times he was aggravating was on accident, so there isn’t really much to say...”

“I didn’t mean what it was that he did. I’m talking about your poor attitude and all of your snide comments and answers,” Digit said quietly, his eyes hard.

“W-what?” Starlight gasped, her eyes growing wide for just a moment, before looking away, blustering. “I... who told you that?”

“Galexia did, for one,” he replied, sitting down in front of his daughter. “I have to admit, I didn’t really understand what she was saying, but then we received a guest who had come to warn us that you and Milly might be in danger.”

“Huh? W-why would we be in-”

“Because, from what she said, you must have been being harassed by a stallion, because he kept asking you questions, and every time you answered, you were either sarcastic, down-right rude and insulting, or both, and you don’t normally do either, so you must have been really bothered by him.” Digit Pi said matter-of-factly, looking up from the ground to look her in the eye. “Now, when I heard this, I just couldn’t believe it. You are, aside from your mother, one of the kindest ponies I know, and I know my little Star wouldn’t purposefully antagonize somepony she was trying to help, right?”

Starlight looked away from her father, ashamed, fighting to keep her eyes dry. When Digit Pi saw his daughter’s ear flatten against her head, he knew that he was right. He opened his mouth to start reprimanding her, when he gave pause, slowly closing his mouth. I hope you know, Starlight, just how disappointed I am in you... He dry-swallowed, then stood up slowly, his legs shaking slightly, though whether due to his age or something else, he wasn’t sure. What happened to you, Starlight? I don’t... He swallowed again, then said hoarsely, “I don’t even know what to say to you right now, Star... I...” What caused you to do that? I just don’t understand why you would want to do that... “Whatever reason you had, I hope it was worth it...” Do you even know what that stallion has been through to have made fun of him like that? Did you really become that heartless with my back turned? I just don’t understand...

Not knowing what else to say or think, he entered his house slowly, entered his study, and closed the door, before collapsing on the floor, his eyes watering. What happened to her? I just... want my beautiful, kind-hearted filly back...

.o.O.o.

Starlight cried softly, tears slowly forming, before beginning the long trek down her face and to the ground as she fought with herself. What did I even do? I was just... Being a rude, self-righteous jerk, to somepony who only wanted some help, all for my own amusement... Why? Was I still angry at him for barging in on me in the bathroom? Was I upset with Milly for setting me up on what she wanted to be a real date, even though it wasn’t real, and it made them both happy? I can’t even remember why I did that?

She turned around when she heard the front door open, expecting her father to have come back out to start the real lecture, when instead she was Moonstone. What is he doing here? Don’t be an idiot, it’s obvious. “W-what, coming out here so that you can yell at me for being such a rude bitch earlier?” Oh come on, like that’s what he’s really here to do, after how he’s acted so far.

“W-what?” Moonstone stuttered, confused. “Yell at you for... No, I came out to bring you some ice cream,” he said softly, holding out a bowl. He tilted his head to the side slightly, looking at her face for a moment, lost in thought. Was she... crying? But... “Why were you crying? What’s wrong, is there anything I can do?”

Oh great, and now he’s pitying me! “You think that you can help, Mr. ‘I don’t know anything about mares or dating’? Maybe I was being too subtle for your tiny brain to comprehend, but I was making fun of you the entire ‘date’, alright? I don’t like you!” Is that even true? Do I hate him?

She... She was? I... I had hoped that it was just my imagination; I didn’t think that she would ever be so mean like that... She must just be confused. “So? You don’t need a reason to help ponies! Let me help, there has to be something I can do!”

“No! Just leave me alone, alright? Is that so hard for you to understand?!” Why does he want to help me so badly for? Just stay away from me. I can’t rely on you!

“Yeah, it is! I know you city ponies are different, but out on the road, you learn to take what help you can get! You never know if I can help if you don’t ask!” Moonstone protested. What is so hard for this mare to understand?!

“I don’t need your help, alright?! You don’t know anything!” Starlight shouted, growing more and more frustrated. I want help... I do, but what could he do? Just... I don’t-

“I know I don’t know much, alright! That’s why I’m here: to learn! Please, for the love of Luna, just tell me what’s wrong so I can help! That’s all I want to do!” Why won’t she just let me help her?! Is there really something wrong with me?

“Just shut up and leave me alone!” Alright, that’s it, you stupid, moronic... That’s it! No more Mrs. Nice Mare! “You’re nothing, okay? NOTHING! You’re just a stupid, ignorant, talentless hack that thrives on others pity for you, as you wander from town to town, looking for hoof-outs! You’re nothing but a worthless orphan, with the maturity of a foal, because you’re just a blood-eyed freak!” Yeah... Why did that feel so good, and so bad at the same time?

Thump Moonstone collapsed to his knees, his eyes wide open from shock, threatening to tear up as he struggled to breathe. I... She just... N-no, it can’t be true... It can’t...

“I-I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that,” she whispered weakly, fighting futilely against the tears forming in her eyes, leaking past her eyelids to fall down her cheeks. Yes I did... I wanted to hurt him. But why did I say that? I would never say that to anypony! I...

Moonstone struggled for breath, slowly rising to his hooves, his face hard. “Don’t say that. Don’t you dare say that you didn’t mean it. You meant every word.” Did she? She might have wanted to hurt me, but did she really want to hurt me? Then why... Why is she crying if...

“You meant it. Every single word,” he continued slowly, his voice soft but flat. “And now,” he said, walking towards her slowly, tall and proud, “it’s time for you to get what you deserve.” But what does she deserve? Does she even know what she’s saying?

Starlight squeaked, flinching away from the white stallion, clenching her eyes tightly as she tried to make herself as small as possible. This is it... You just had to go and... And you still don’t even know why you did it...

“Look at me!” he snapped, shocking her so badly she jumped, landing hard on her butt, her eyes open wide in shock and terror. He stared at her for what seemed an eternity, before he closed in, his eyes hard with resolve.

.o.O.o.

When Starlight landed again, Moonstone started to trot forward, when he was stopped in his tracks by her emerald eyes. He stared into them for a moment, lost in the past. Those eyes... Why do they look so much like... Oh you idiot... How didn’t you see this before?

He took one last step forward, balancing, spreading his forelegs wide, before leaning in towards her. Starlight wanted to flinch away, but she didn’t have the energy or strength to do so. She could only look on in horror as he leaned towards her, getting ready to beat the crap out of her, starting her thrashing with... A... Hug? W-wait, w-wh... W-what...

Her eyes burning from trying to keep the tears at bay, she let them loose, her body shaking from the force as she sobbed, “W-why are you-”

“Because,” he whispered, hugging her tightly to himself, “I... You reminded me of somepony else I used to know... who was lost and confused.” Please, let me know what I’m talking about, for once... I don’t want to have to leave town again, not now.

“I’m not lost or confused, you brain-deficient stallion!” she protested weakly, too exhausted to break free of his hug. Yes I am... Don’t listen to me, please... I need help. I don’t know what I’m doing, or why I’m saying such horrible things to someone who’s so nice... Please, don’t go. “I just want to be left alone!” No! That’s not...

Is she telling the truth? She sounds so sure... I-I am an idiot... I should just shut up, get my things, and leave. It’s clear I’m not wanted here. “I... Fine. Just say the word, and I’ll go. I would never force myself on you, or anypony else if they don’t want me.” Please don’t ask me to leave, please... This is the first place that’s ever felt like... Like it could be home... Don’t

“I’m sure!” she said, her voice breaking. No, I’m not! I don’t mean it! Shut up, mouth! Stop working faster than my brain! “Go! Just...” Please stay! Don’t listen to me!

Moonstone flinched, backing away slowly, struggling to keep his face passive. “A-alright,” he whispered. I don’t get a chance? I’m here for a day and a half, and I’ve screwed up again... My first chance at being normal, and I... I blew it.

“Shut up... and...” No, I can’t! I refuse to let him just leave! Moonstone watched Starlight shake for a moment, afraid she was going to have a heart attack, when he heard her breathe, so softly that he thought he imagined it for a second, until she repeated herself.

“Hug me, you idiot,” she stammered, trying to speak as loudly as she could, but even in her own ears, she knew she was so timid, and so broken, that he couldn’t have possibly heard her. Her vision blurred once more as she gave up fighting, having lost all hope. No... I was too late... Why? Why did I have to say-

Her brain shut down as she was enfolded in Moonstone’s forelegs, his hooves pressing her head against his chest gently. “It’s okay, just let it out. We can talk in a minute,” Moonstone murmured, stroking her mane. Please let that be the right thing to say, please let that be the right thing to say, please let th-

“T-thank you,” Starlight muttered, squeezing Moonstone back as she hugged him tightly, burying her face in the space between his shoulder and neck. “I don’t... I’m sorry, I don’t know what’s wrong with me,” she hiccuped, ears flat against her head.

“I forgive you,” Moonstone soothed, continuing to stroke her mane. “I... I’m sorry too.”

“For what? You didn’t do anything wrong,” Starlight muttered, lowering her head more, her forehead now against his chest.

“Sure I did,” he muttered quietly, nudging her muzzle up with the side of his own. “I kept bugging you when you made it clear you wanted to be left alone. When I saw you crying, I knew I should have just left you alone, but I... Should never talk about seeing a mare cry?” Moonstone ended weakly, wincing back from Starlight.

Don’t get angry, don’t get angry... It’s true. You were crying. Don’t yell at him for not knowing. He didn’t know better. Starlight closed her eyes, took a deep breath, then opened them again, releasing the breath she had been holding. There, now all of the energy is gone, and... I feel like... Fighting her re-watering eyes, she settled with nodding, not wanting to trust her voice, lest it crack.

“O-okay, sorry...” Moonstone apologized meekly. “U-um... So I shouldn’t ask why you were... You know, either?” he asked nervously. I’m going to blow it again, aren’t I? How do I know so little about this stuff?

No, moron, you don’t... Well... I don’t know... And I can’t yell at him... Just look at him, he’s so nervous! He actually cares about not hurting you, right? Do I take the chance? “I... Dad and I... Were talking, and he... I... I’m sorry!”

What just happened? Moonstone blinked in confusion as Starlight buried her head in his chest once more, crying softly. He looked down at her, her arms wrapped around his torso, debating what to do. He gave up, resting the side of his head on her mane, figuring, S-she’ll say something if I’m doing something wrong... right? He wrapped his forelegs around her loosely, holding her to himself while he waited for her to calm down.

It took Starlight several moments to compose herself, her crying slowly coming to a stop. After a minute of silence, Moonstone dared to break it, asking softly, “Hey, are you alright? You feeling better now?”

Starlight nodded slowly, her voice muffled as she timidly replied. “I... I guess. I... The reason why,” she started to explain, but her voice cracked. Come on, Star, you can do this. It’s just two words. Clearing her throat, she tried again. “I’m... sorry.”

“Huh? Sorry for what? I thought we both already apologized for our... Umm... Whatever you want to call it.” What is she talking about? Did I mess up again somehow?

“Y-yeah, it’s not that... I’m... I’m sorry I’ve been so mean to you,” she choked out, wincing away from Moonstone’s embrace.

“Okay?”

“You know, for yelling at you when you didn’t know any better, and for making fun of you on the date, and... Why don’t you care?” What the heck? What’s wrong with him?

Moonstone shrugged, stating calmly, “Because most of what you said is true. I am stupid. I am a moron. I... at least to everypony else it seems, am a blood-eyed freak... Why should I get upset about something I am?”

“But... No, you’re not stupid! You’re just ignorant!” Starlight protested, stomping a hoof.

“... I’m a what now? I thought those meant the same thing?” Moonstone asked, completely flummoxed.

“No, being ignorant means that you just don’t know what something is. Being dumb or stupid is where you should know something that everyone else knows, like falling down some stairs is going to hurt, or that you need to eat to survive, or when you act like you know something, but you don’t. Does that make sense?”

“Huh... Yeah, I guess it does,” Moonstone mused, thinking it over. “Still, I don’t see why you should apologize. I was being stupid on the date or whatever, so it’s fine.” Why is she trying to press something that doesn’t matter?

Gah, he’s so infuriating! How can he not see that I have to apologize for something like that?! He’s so... “No, it’s not fine! You...” Starlight searched for the right word, before giving up, deflating. “... Fine... But... If it doesn’t matter, then could you please forgive me anyway?”

“S-sure...” I didn’t know how important it was to her. Why is she so sad? I have to cheer her up, but how? Think! “U-umm... Do you want to...” Come on, you can do it! Just say something! “Maybe...” Maybe?! What kind of pansy are you asking is she might want to do something?! “Umm... Have some... Ice cream?” Crap, I’m just guessing! dive for cover, dive for cover!

Why does he look so terrified? Of course! He doesn’t know what he should do! Must... resist... “Y-yeah, some ice cream would be amazing,” she said gently, smiling a little.

I... suggested something good? Yes! I guessed correctly! This is, like, my best day ever! “A-alright then!” As he watched her gather her breath, starting to walk forward, he caught her as she stumbled on a loose rock, quick to help her. “Here, let me, Lady Starlight. Just lean on me.”

Wow, she’s smiling... Why can’t I think? How to make her smile more... Crap, she was talking! What did she say, what did she say?! “I uh, I’m sorry,” Moonstone mumbled, apologizing. “I missed that. What did you say?”

He’s almost cute when he blushes like that. He gets flustered so easily it’s funny! “I said please just call me Star. You don’t need to call me Lady.”

“I know,” Moonstone replied, bored again. “I wouldn’t call you Lady if you didn’t earn it.”

“But... It makes me feel like I’m something I’m not.”

“Howso? You’re kind, gentle, put foals and others ahead of yourself... You seem like a lady to me.” Moonstone said simply.

“But... I’m not special. I’m not especially beautiful, or talented, or-”

“Lady Starlight,” Moonstone interrupted, his voice deathly quiet. “I’m only going to say this once, and I never, ever want to have to repeat myself. Don’t you ever insult yourself like that again, or I will start to get angry. The world is already harsh enough. The second you start doubt yourself, the world will kick you down, and never bother to correct you. Don’t insult yourself. You’re too important to let yourself think that little of yourself. You stand tall, proud, and when the world kicks you down, you stand back up, spit in their eye, and keep moving forward to show them who’s boss.”

Starlight remained silent, continuing to allow Moonstone to assist her while she thought. I... But he... Wow, he must have gone through some really rough things... How can he still be so nice? I just... “Alright, Moonstone, I’ll try,” she agreed, smiling slightly. After everything he’s been through, he can still be so confident? I have to try, at least. I owe it to him. Maybe... he knows what he’s talking about. “Thanks, Moonstone... I... Have a request, if that’s okay.”

“Just name it, Lady Starlight.”

“Would you... Maybe be willing to go on another date with me, later?”