• Published 20th May 2012
  • 2,390 Views, 153 Comments

Guide You Home - Magical Trevor



A wandering magician, searching for a place to call home, has given up all hopes of having a 'normal' life. Going to Princess Luna for help, he quickly realizes that 'normal' is a... relative word, to say the least.

  • ...
2
 153
 2,390

Chapter the Twenty-Second

Books. Piles and heaps and mountains of books... Moonstone nearly had an aneurysm when he saw just how many books there were on law. Moonstone whimpered. “Just kill me now... There’s no way I’ll ever be able to read that many books! I can barely read as it is!”

“You only just started learning, though, and you are doing well,” Starlight encouraged, internally wincing as well. “Besides, most of these are the... Well, the long and boring, technical kind that the actual law ponies look at. I’m sure that Twilight has a condensed, simple book that Moonstone would be able to understand... Right?”

“I... I suppose,” Twilight grumbled, distressed that somepony wouldn’t enjoy reading everything about law that books had to offer.

“Twilight, Darling, they’re not saying they won’t need them eventually,” Rarity stressed, trying to diffuse the situation. “But Moonstone doesn’t need to every single detail about every single law right off the bat! I would think it’s more important for him to know that trespassing and breaking & entering are two different crimes than to know that trespassing occurs under situations one, two, and three, yes?”

Twilight thought for a moment, before nodding. “Yes, I, I suppose you’re right,” Twilight admitted sheepishly. “You don’t learn to teleport before you can levitate, after all.”

“Exactly!” Rarity smiled, knowing that, if given the situation, Twilight could get on a soapbox and lecture about the benefits of reading books.

“Well, I suppose that this one book would... Oh no! Spike! What time is it?!” Twilight exclaimed frantically, trotting in place anxiously.

“Huh? It’s three ‘til, why?” Spike asked innocently, poking his head from around the stack of books he was trying to put away.

We’re late!” Twilight wailed, searching frantically through her house, picking up random items, only to set them back down again moments later as she searched for something else.

“Um, late for what?” Moonstone questioned hesitantly, trying to follow what she was freaking out about.

“For a very important date,” Rarity answered cheekily, giggling at her friend. “Twilight, I have what you need in my saddles already. All we need you to do is take us there.”

“But we can’t walk that far in just two minutes!” Twilight exclaimed, her mane starting to get fritzy.

“Breathe, Twilight!” Spike warned, reaching up to tweak her ear.

While Twilight began her breathing exercise she had learned from her foalsitter, Cadance, Rarity suggested calmly, “Then what about Teleporting? Now stay still, Darling, I need to fix your mane.”

“Teleporting?” Twilight asked, blinking as if it was the first time she had ever heard the word. “I... Rarity, that’s brilliant! Why didn’t I think of that?!”

“Because you were too busy freaking out like the time Celestia caught you with your hoof in the cookie jar, and you were stuck,” Spike snickered.

“Oh shut up, Spike,” Twilight ordered, blushing.

Rarity rapped Twilight on the head, chiding, “Stop moving your head! Mr. Brushie will have your mane fixed in a jiffy, but only if you stay still! Now I just need one... more...”

Moonstone blinked as he watched the mares fix Twilight’s mane, tilting his head to the side. “Is it normal to fix other pony’s manes? Is there anything wrong with mine?”

Starlight thought for a moment, before settling on a simple answer. “It’s complicated.”

“Oh...”

Starlight marveled at her genius. That was it? He was going to leave it at that? Awesome! That’s a great way to dodge the harder questions! Leave those for after the simpler questions have been answered.

“So what’s the simple version?” Moonstone questioned, thinking. “I know it wouldn’t be anything, but isn’t there a simple version, like the laws?”

Well crap. So much for dodging the bullet. Starlight sighed, then thought for a moment. “Well... In some situations, if you trust them, then... sometimes it’s normal for a friend to fix your mane for you, sure.”

“Alright... Do you know what it is that we’re late for?”

Starlight kept herself from sighing, noting idly that she was doing that far too often as of late. “No, Moonstone, I don’t have the slightest idea what we’re late for. Dinner, perhaps? I know that I’m starting to get hungry.”

“Oh, well I can fix that!” Moonstone exclaimed cheerfully, grinning. “Heck, I know twenty different recipes for cooking grass, and eleven for tree leaves, so I’m sure that I... could..”

Moonstone wilted a little at the stares he received, but defended himself, mumbling, “What? I know cooking isn’t my special talent, but I thought that was still-”

“We’re not... I mean, Moonstone, that... We’re just surprised you know that many, that’s all,” Starlight said weakly, her eyes wide.

“Oh. For a minute there, I thought you all hated grass or something,” Moonstone laughed nervously.

“Wow, seriously? Where have you come from that you had to learn so many recipes for something like grass?” Spike asked, ignorant of the stallion’s history.

Ding... Ding... Ding...

“No! We’re late! Teleport!” Twilight cried out, closing her eyes as she charged her spell, lighting up the whole room.

.o.O.o.

“Quiet everypony! They’re going to be here any second!” Pinkie shouted over the noise, quieting many of the ponies that were waiting to surprise the new residents to Ponyville.

“Yeah, hush you beaks!” Milky Way piped up from Alto’s back. “We is tryin to be sneaky sneaky, not talkie talkie!”

“Oh yeah? Who died and made you queen, blank-flank?” a small, pink filly snorted, rolling her eyes.

She and a small, silver filly screamed as Galexia appeared in front of them, hissing. The two fillies ran off swiftly, tails tucked between their legs as they ran for their parent’s protection from the ‘monster’ that appeared out of the dark.

Milly giggled, giving Galexia a brief kiss on her forehead. “Thank you Miss Lexie! But, uh, I totally could have handled dem myself!”

Galexia rolled her eyes and stuck her tiny tongue out at Milly before retreating into the shadows, leaving Milky Way alone as she failed to encourage Alto the changeling to give chase.

.o.O.o.

“Figures that a blank-flank like her would have such a rude pet,” Diamond Tiara snorted, stomping her small hooves as she paced.

“Like, I know, right? That was totally horrible,” Silver Spoon agreed, trying to calm her best friend, her only friend, down. “Still, things are, like, going to get a lot better and, like, really fast, too.”

“Oh yeah? How do you figure?”

“Because,” Silver Spoon giggled, blushing, “that new colt that was in class today? He’s here now. He just showed up!”

Diamond Tiara gasped dramatically before frantically pawing at her mane, asking, “Is my mane alright? Is my tiara straight? There’s nothing stuck in my teeth, is there?!”

“Nope, nope, and... nope! You’re good to go!” Silver Spoon grinned, tossing her braid over to her other shoulder. “Now come on! It’s time for your wingmare to do what she does best!”

“Right! Thanks Silvy, you’re the best!” Diamond exclaimed, hugging her best friend.

“N-no problem,” Silver Spoon blushed, unused to such open thanks coming from somepony like Tiara.

.o.O.o.

Hot Streak sighed as he glanced to his sister, Lyra, asking plaintively, “Do I have to be here? Can’t we just stay home and watch movies together or something?”

Lyra sighed, hugging the red unicorn colt. “Later, okay? I promised I’d at least come, and besides, maybe you’ll make a new friend!”

“I don’t want a new friend,” he grumbled, hanging his head. “I want to be back in Canterlot, where my old friends are... Stupid mom and dad... I said it was an accident!”

Lyra hid a grin, saying as nonchelantly as she could, “Oh, I’m sure they’ll be fine in just a few days. They just need some time to cool off from the epic way you got your cutie mark...”

“Oh, ha ha, very funny, Ly,” Hot Streak grumbled, his face turning an even darker shade of red. “That’s easy for you to say. Mom and dad didn’t kick you out when you got your cutie mark...”

“Yeah, well, that’s because I earned mine calmly,” Lyra retorted playfully, sticking her tongue out.

Something bumped gently into Hot Streak, barely causing him to lose his balance at all. “Oh dear, please do forgive me! Are you alright, handsome?”

Ignoring his sister’s snickering, Hot Streak turned to see who was talking to him, only to groan inwardly when he saw who it was. He had only been in Ponyville for 24 hours, and he hated them already. “Yeah, sure, I’ll be just- oof!”

Hot Streak gasped in shock as he was suddenly tackled, having been ninja glomped by a certain hyper-active filly who looked like she had just received her Hearth’s Warming Eve presents a week early. “Hot Streak! You’re here?! How did you find out about the-the party so quickly? We only gotted here a few hours ago!”

“Yeah, well, I’ve kind of already been here for an entire day now,” Hot Streak laughed, getting up as Milly helped dust him off.

“Like, what are you doing hanging around a blank-flank? I thought you were a noble!”

“Yeah, so? What does that have to do with anything?” Hot Streak snorted. “I’ll hang out with whoever I want to hang out with! It’s one of the perks of being a noble!”

“Yeah!” Milly agreed, joining Hot Streak in their personal rendition of ‘Stick Your Snout Up in the Air, or so Help Me!’, by Mic Wazowskhoof.

“How do you two even know each other?” Diamond Tiara asked, scandalized.

“Because we sit next to each other in Etiquette class,” Milky Way said with a sigh, shaking her head. “Dun be such silly fillies! Hot Streak an I bees bestest friends! We’re the leaders of the Foal’s Forray Parlay!”

“The who what? That sounds lame!” Diamond Tiara replied on autopilot, forgetting that the colt she was trying to impress was a part of what she was insulting.

“Oh yeah? Well my dad said that only lame ponies find other things to be lame, so bleh!” Milly retorted, sticking her tongue out

“What?! I... you... No! I cannot believe that you managed to get him as your special somepony!”

Milly giggled, snorting as she tried to regain her breath. “We-we’re not together like dat! At least, I dun think we are, is we?”

“I dunno... Do you wanna be?” Hot Streak asked, tilting his head to the side.

“Do you, like, even know what being each other’s special ponies means?” Silver Spoon questioned, sweating bullets.

“Umm... Oh! I knows! It means, um, that we wanna live togetherer, an has foals when we bees older, and do stuff for each other!”

“So... Do you wanna?” Hot Streak asked again, confused. “I don’t know what’s going on anymore.”

“Umm...” Milky Way thought for a moment, the two bullies gaping at Milly and Streak. There was no way that they could get married this young, right? They didn’t even seem to understand what it meant to get married!

“Sure! If I is your, your special somepony, den dat means we gets ta get married and stuffs when we’s older, right?”

“Pretty sure,” Hot Streak agreed, trying to think it through. “I remember dad saying something about waiting until I’m, like... old though.”

“All the way until you’s old?!” Milky Way gasped, bringing both hooves to her mouth. “Dat... Dat’s mean! We’s supposta wait until we’re, like, seventeen?!”

“Uh-huh...”

Milky Way’s eyes grew large. “Wow... That bees a long time... Can we wait that long?”

“Hmm... I think so... I think I’m also supposed to give you presents and stuff until then to keep you distracted from how long forever is, if I remember what my dad said correctly.”

“Oh noes! Is a balloon losing its breath?!” Milky Way gasped, looking around for the source of the hissing air.

The four foals turned to look at Lyra, who had turned purple in the face trying to breathe as she rolled on the floor, gasping for oxygen.

Concerned, Hot Streak questioned his older sister slowly, “Err, Ly? Are you okay? Do I need to go and get a nurse or-”

“N-no, no,” Lyra gasped, trying to compose herself. “No, I’m fine, Go ahead with your pfft... *Snerk* I mean, *gasp* yeah, I’m fine... Just... keep talking, so I can tell mom and dad if you’re going to be needing an engagement ring or not,” Lyra joked, the air slowly turning her face back to its normal hue.

"Dang, I knew I forgot something about all this engagement stuff!” Hot Streak moaned, facehooving.

“What, wes can’t be special someponies wivvout a ring?” Milky Way questioned, sad.

“No, I think we can... We just can’t be engaged to marry, which tells other ponies we’re gonna get married in the future.”

“Like when the space ponies are gonna come an visit us in their, their space chariots?” Milly asked.

“Uh-huh... Well, dad said you can propose without the ring, but it looks really sloppy and stuffs to the mare if you don’t have the ring and ask all romantic and stuff, and-”

“Ish okay! I’ll still marry you!” Milky Way said with a bounce, smiling. “I like you, and you dun need that stuffs anyways! You can just gimme a call some other time, since we’re in the same room and stuff, okay?”

“Alright!” Hot Streak agreed, meeting Milky Way’s hoof with his own. “We are now officially special someponies engaged to be married when we’re old!”

In the stunned silence that followed, aside from Lyra’s increased volume in her wheezing, Milly asked, “So... Want some cakes now?”

“Sure!”

As the two friends bounded off to find some sweets to inhale, not really knowing what they had decided, left two stunned fillies behind, who could only stare at the two new ponies from Canterlot, trying to comprehend exactly what the buck just happened.

Author's Note:

April Foal’s? Or is this serious? I’ll let you be the judge! :trollestia: