• Published 17th Jun 2015
  • 11,280 Views, 239 Comments

An Alternate Ending to A Canterlot Wedding - MeadowRosePony



An alternate ending to 'A Canterlot Wedding'. What if all of the drama caused Discord to awaken?

  • ...
11
 239
 11,280

New Discoveries

Twilight briskly trotted through the many winding corridors of her palace.

"Discord...?!", she called out as she peered into each of the many doors lining the walls.

'Where in Equestria has he gotten to?', Twilight wondered as she turned the corner.

She started on the next row of doors, only to pause and turn back. For as Twilight had walked past that last corner, she had thought she has seen something out of the corner of her eye.

She slowly walked back to the corner, careful to keep an eye out for anything unusual. But when Twilight reached place she had been, there was nothing there.

"I guess I'm seeing things", Twilight shrugged and went to look down the next hallway. But as she passed the corner again, she caught another glimpse.

"Wait a minute..." Twilight said softly. She turned around again. Only this time instead of going straight to where she had seen the mysterious opening, she poofed up a mirror and slowly walked past, keeping her eyes on the mirror in front of her.

She was about to dismiss it as her imagination when she spotted the door in the mirror. Walking backwards so as not to make it disappear again, she reached behind her to open the door.

It stuck just long enough for Twilight to worry that it was locked. Then it swung open and she entered the secret room Discord had gone through so much trouble to hide.


"Weeee! Higher Higher!"

"Alright, Twilight" Cadance said as she pushed the swing higher.

"Weeee!" Twilight giggled as the swing slowed to a stop.

"Cadance..."

"Cadance..." the filly whimpered as Cadance put a bandage over the scrape on her knee.

"It' all right, Twily" she said softly as she held the filly close. She wiped Twilight's eyes and smiled. "Feel better?"

"Mmm hmm" Twilight nodded, giggling.

"Oh Cadance..."

"Bed time Twilight..." Cadance said as she scooped up the sleepy filly.

"Oh Cadance...,*Yawn* Do I...*Yawn* Do I have to?" Twilight complained between yawns as her foal-sitter carried her upstairs.

"Don't you want to find out what happens to Daring Do?" Cadance asked as she brought over a story book to read.

"Yayyyy... *Yawn* Okay, Cadance..."

"...And Daring Do was off, to find her next great adventure. The End." Cadance shut the book softly and tucked the blanket around the slepy filly.

"Good night, Twilight" She whispered as she carefully left the room.

"Good night, Cadance..." Twilight mumbled happily, half asleep already.

"Princess Cadance?"

Princess Cadance started as she felt a hoof on her shoulder. Turning around, she saw Princess Celestia smiling gently at her, though she could see the concern in her eyes.

"How are you faring, Cadance?" Princess Celestia asked.

Princess Cadance sighed. "I am worried for Twilight. I just wish we knew where she was."

"I am worried for her as well. Tell me, what were you thinking of?"

"I was remembering her as a filly. I loved foal-sitting her. We always had so much fun." Cadance turned her face away as her eyes welled up and tears started to fall down her cheeks.

Barely a moment had passed before she felt Celestia's wing laid comfortingly against her back. "It's okay to cry."

Startled, Cadance lifted her head. "But you always say...a princess doesn't..."

"Out there," Princess Celestia pointed out the the window at the rolling streets of Canterlot, "You must be strong. But in here," She spread her other wing and held Cadance close, "It's okay to cry."

Princess Cadance buried her face in her aunt's mane as she sobbed.

A single tear rolled down Princess Celestia's face as she held her niece.


"What is this place?" Twilight wondered as she wandered around the room she had discovered. It didn't feel like a large area, but it didn't end either. Anytime she thought she was reaching a wall, the room would seem to expand around her, and yet close in behind her at the same time. It was a little disorienting to explore and lose site of the entrance, but still feel slightly claustrophobic.

She was soon distracted from her sense of unease by the wide array of items she was finding. There were shelves and shelves of disguises, picture frames, props, and little statues arranged in sprawling scenes. And snow-globes. Lots and lots of snow-globes.

As she was examining a miniature diorama of Canterlot (is that pony riding on a turntable?), she caught sight of a bookcase.

'I knew there would be something worth looking at in here!', She thought excitedly, hurrying over to see what it held. In her haste, she didn't notice an ornate golden cane leaning against one of the shelves. She tripped over it and went sprawling into the path. As she reached out with a hoof to catch her balance, she accidentally snagged a cloth cover off of a large mirror. It fell to the ground, getting tangled up with Twilight and the cane on the way.


"Captain Shining Armor!"

Shining Armor started as his door was thrown open. He quickly stood to attention, only to relax as he saw the cadet outside his door. (Well, he relaxed on the inside at least.)

"There had better be a good reason for this." he said sternly as he glared at the cadet.

The cadet froze, his eyes darting around nervously. "I.."

"State your mission.", Shining Armor interrupted the cadet before he could use any of the thousands of excuses he had heard before.

The cadet seemed to relax as he pulled a letter out of his saddlebags. "An urgent message for you."

Only through sheer will-power, and years of practice, was Shining Armor able to keep his exasperation off his face. He motioned for the cadet to put the letter on his desk.

The cadet seemed to hesitate for a moment before placing the letter down. Almost as if he wasn't sure he should.

Shining Armor waited a moment to give the cadet time to remember any other instructions he may have been given, (more and more of the new cadets give the appearance of having just graduated from the academy yesterday) and then nodded.

"Dismissed." Shining Armor took the letter and sent the cadet away.

The cadet nearly sighed in relief as he let out the breathe he hadn't realized had been holding. Quickly snapping off a salute he turned and left the room before the captain could change his mind.

Shinning Armor grinned wryly, 'Why do all the new cadets think I'm about to bite their heads off?'

He shook his head and sighed in disgust. 'I don't have time to be playing secretary. If this was about Twilight or Discord I wouldn't be getting a bloody letter. I shouldn't even waste my time.'

He set the letter aside to read later and went back to his planning.

Not even a full minute had passed before he snatched it back up with a groan.

'If I don't read this letter now, I just know that it will end up being important. Better to waste a minute now, then to waste an hour later justifying it.' "I wonder which bureaucrat needs something this time..." Shining Armor grumbled to himself silently as he broke the seal.

His eyes narrowed as he scanned the page. When he had finished he quickly flipped the parchment over, looking for any clue as to the sender. But there was no return address.

Letting the letter fall to the ground, he quickly ran to the door and flung it open. He looked up and down the hallway for the cadet that had delivered the letter.

But there was nopony around.


"Why do I feel like I should blame Discord for this?" Twilight grumbled as she untangled herself from this latest entrapment. She lifted the sheet from where she had flung it and went to recover up the mirror (before she ended up breaking it and getting seven years of bad luck. Or forty-seven, knowing Discord), only to drop the cover in surprise as she caught a glimpse of her reflection.

"What in Equestria...!?!"

Her mane, her beautiful purple mane with its pretty pink stripe...

"Black...my mane is black...and my fur...it's gray!"

"DISCORD!", Twilight roared in anger, convinced this was one of his tricks. In the back of her mind, she could hear a little voice telling her she was over-reacting. But she pushed that down, choosing to ignore it in favor of the far more pleasing thoughts of revenge and retribution.

But before she could dwell on any of her rapidly growing schemes of retaliation, she was distracted by her image distorting and changing. Hoping that this was all just one of Discord's tricks, she glanced down at her hooves. Nope, still grey. She pulled a piece of mane forward. Yep, still black.

She narrowed her eyes, and turned back towards the mirror.

She wasn't sure what exactly she expected to see, but it certainly wasn't a study. There wasn't even anything special about the room shown. It looked to be similar to each of the dozens of office-type rooms in the Canterlot Castle she had been in a hundred times.

'Wait... Canterlot Castle?'
Twilight leaned closer to the mirror, trying to figure out who the study belonged to. The wasn't much to give clue to the owner. The furnishings were few and simple. An oval rug in faded purple and blues hues covered a marble floor. There was a desk with a few papers scattered on top of it. A bookcase stuffed full with scrolls and books stood in the corner. If she strained she could make out a few of the titles.

Big Brother for Beginners
Beginning Basic Boot-camp
Surviving Your Sister, and Her Sitter Too
Tales of Tactical Techniques
Focusing for Frantic Fillies
A Complete Collection of Commander Campaigns
History of Hysterics and How to Help
Following in their Hoof-steps: A Collection of Journals, Letters and Memos by Equestria's Greatest Royal Guard Captains

"This is an interesting collection of books. Either whoever this study belongs to is completely unorganized," Twilight mused as she contemplated this new information, "Or this is some sort of Guard daycare office."

Twilight nodded firmly, convinced that she had solved the mystery. As her gaze fell on the worn rug covering the floor, she noticed the lines of faded golden yellow peeking out from the edges of the piece of parchment laying on the floor. If she focused, she could make out the edges of the Royal Guard insignia, lending further proof to her theory of this room being a daycare office for Royal Guards' foals.

"I wonder what that paper on the floor is? If it is from a personal file, it really shouldn't be laying about where any foal who comes to the office can get to it."

She was going crossed-eyed trying to satisfy her curiosity when she noticed a familiar pony entering the picture.


Shining Armor went back to his office and picked up the piece of parchment from where it had fallen. He stared at it in disbelief, reading it over again to make sure he hadn't missed anything. Then rolling it up in his magic, he hurried to the throne room. The princesses needed to see this.


Twilight froze as she read the note her brother had picked up from the floor. However the mirror was positioned in that room, (for she was certain that the only way for her to be seeing into this room was through a set of magically enchanted mirrors) it was in just the right place to see the paper when Shining Armor picked it up. She only caught a glimpse of it for a second before Shining Armor rolled it up and left, but it was long enough.


To Whom It May Concern,
Twilight Sparkle is being held captive in the crystal caves beneath Canterlot.
-A Friend