• Published 17th Jun 2015
  • 11,280 Views, 239 Comments

An Alternate Ending to A Canterlot Wedding - MeadowRosePony



An alternate ending to 'A Canterlot Wedding'. What if all of the drama caused Discord to awaken?

  • ...
11
 239
 11,280

Deep Thinking

"Psst, you heard her, construction!" Rainbow Dash whispered frantically.

"Oh, right!"

All around Twilight, her friends were making strange noises. Noises that were supposed to be a barn under construction but sounded an awful lot like a petting zoo.

"ZZzzZZbaaaa unangngah zzzzzzzzzzgrrrrr!"

A psychotic petting zoo. Rainbow Dash was making a wired buzzing sound, Rarity was doing some sort of dying frog noise, and Twilight was pretty sure Fluttershy was baaing.

"Twilight! Construction noises!" Rainbow scolded, taking a break from her buzzing to hover over Twilight.

"Oh, right! Construction, right..." Twilight looked around for something she could use to imitate the sounds of a barn under construction. Not seeing anything, and becoming a bit unsettled by her friends' stares, she decided to stomp her hooves against the barn floor.

'There is no way she's buying this...'Twilight thought frantically.

"ZZzzZZBaaaaaaathump thump unanganh zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzgrrrrrrrr thump!"

"...construction, huh?"

Twilight could hear Pinkie Pie outside as she attempted to get past Applejack to see inside the barn.

"Yep! Construction. That's my story and ah'm sticking to it!" Applejack said hurriedly.

Out of the corner of her eye, Twilight could see Applejack and Pinkie going back and forth over the door as Pinkie tried to see inside and Applejack tried to keep her out. There was a rubber sound and a thump as Applejack shut the barn door on Pinkie's face when she got too close.

"Okeydokey lokey..." Pinkie Pie said slowly.

There were a few moments of silence as she made sure the coast was clear and then Applejack turned to face her friends.

"Phew! That was a close one..."

"Do you think she expects anything?"

"I hope not..."

"That would ruin everything!"

Suddenly, Applejack turned to glare at Twilight.

"You almost did ruin everything!" Applejack said. "Why weren't ya making construction noises like everypony else?" She asked Twilight accusingly.

"But I...", Twilight looked around nervously as she tried to figure out what was going on.

Rarity gasped, "Don't you care about Pinkie Pie?" She asked.

"Of course I do!", Twilight said quickly.

"Then why didn't you help?" Rainbow asked, crossing her hooves and glaring at Twilight.

"I did!", Twilight protested.

"Nope", Applejack said calmly, tilting her hat and taking a step forward.

"What!?!" Twilight couldn't believe her ears. What was wrong with everypony?

"You heard her, she said 'nope'." Fluttershy sneered.

"But..., but I did! You saw me!" Twilight insisted, imploring with her friends to see reason.

"Are you calling Applejack a liar?!" Rainbow Dash shouted, leaning close with a frightening expression on her face.

"She can't lie" Rarity said.

"You are the liar." Pinkie Pie said calmly, appearing from nowhere to glare at Twilight. (An expression that is thoroughly terrifying on Pinkie's face)

Twilight fell back in shock as Pinkie approached her. Pinkie was wearing a royal guard dress uniform and was carrying her pet alligator, Gummy, who was wearing a wedding dress.

"If you can't be happy for Gummy and me, then maybe you shouldn't be at the party at all." Pinkie Pie said, her voice emotionless as she held Gummy close.

"You have a lot to think about", her friends chorused as they backed Twilight towards glowing green hole in the barn floor.

"No!," Twilight yelled, looking around at her friends desperately. Her hooves scrambled on the hard tile as she backed up. All around her the barn was transforming into the Canterlot Castle.

"This isn't real." Twilight whispered, "This isn't how it happened."

She tripped over the first step as her friends backed her up the stairs.

"Noo! please!" She pleaded, reaching her hoof out to Rarity. Only to scramble away in fear as Rarity's eyes flashed green.

"This isn't right," Twilight cried, "This can't be happening... Please... Why isn't anypony listening to me...?"

With a blast of magic, Rarity pushed her down the hole.

"HAHAHAHAA!"

Twilight could hear their laughter as she fell, screaming.

"Nooo!"


Twilight woke with a start. Panting heavily, she jolted from her pillow, her front hoof landing in something soft and squishy. Looking down, Twilight saw that she had stepped on what was left of her sandwich.

She laughed nervously, "Just a bad dream. Nothing to worry about. Guess I shouldn't have eaten that sandwich." Quickly, Twilight cleaned up the mess and poofed the plate to the kitchen. Or somewhere.

Just then she caught sight of a tree outside her window. Discord had planted an underground garden next to the throne room to give it a view.

"Some fresh air will do me good." Twilight said as she trotted out to the balcony. After a few minutes of exploring the peaceful garden, Twilight was able to breathe freely.

"It sure is beautiful out here." Twilight sighed happily to herself as she stopped to look at an exceptionally pretty flower.

Twilight gasped, "Is that a rare Ornithochilus cacharensis? I've never even seen some of these flowers outside of books. Just think of the research I could do!"

Out of the corner of her eye she saw a flutter of wings dart behind a tree.

"And the animals! Was that a Lampornis calolaemus?! I thought those only lived in the Amarezon Rainforest! I hope I didn't scare it off. Just look at this place! Fluttershy would just love it here. I remember that gala... She was so excited to see everything, she went a little overboard trying to befriend all the critters."

Twilight sighed,"Poor Fluttershy, I guess it didn't occur to her that they would all be extra skittish with the big party going on."

She shook her head, "Not that we did any better. That had to be the first time Pinkie Pie was ever told to leave a party."

Twilight chuckled as she remembered that night. Even though the gala had turned out to be a disaster, they were still able to have a good time. If only they had listened to Spike in the first place.

Twilight shook her head and stomped her hoof angrily. "Why am I obsessing over a couple of inconsiderate, backstabbing ex-friends! I have much more important things do with my time!"

She stormed out of the garden in huff, her hooves leaving deep scuffs in the soft dirt as she stomped to the throne room.

Several small animals dated back to the safety of the undergrowth. Twilight was so distracted she had never even noticed them coming out.

Twilight trotted up the stirs to her throne. This was were she belonged. She sighed and stared into space. 'It was like Discord said -If you don't have any friends, your friends can't hurt you.'
She never noticed the forgotten flower in her mane glow once as her fur faded a shade.


"How about an ambush like we did with the hydra attack in..." Bronzewing started before he was cut off be Cherry Fizzy

"There is no way that something that worked on a hydra is going to work on a pony and a lord of chaos, especially not..."

"We need to come up with some unorthodox methods of..." Silver Badge interrupted them both.

"What about like when the squirrels invaded in..."

"Oh, I don't think we need to bring little squirrels in...", Fluttershy protested softly.

"We could have a giant fuzzy animal party! I'm sure Discord would love to come and then..." Pinkie put in, jumping onto the table.

"Now, why in Equestria would Discord come to a giant fuzzy animal party?! Ah'm pretty sure he has other things keeping him busy, like trying to corrupt Twilight and take over..." Applejack said in frustration.

"Perhaps we could convince him to come to a 'parlay', as they say?..." Rarity suggested.

"Ooh Ohh! Parlay Party!" Pinkie shouted.

"Maybe like with the Smooze in..." Bronzewing said.

Princess Cadance attempted to smooth things over before emotions got too high, "Those are all excellent suggestions, but maybe..."

"You can't trap somepony with magic in a net!" Silver Badge shouted.

"You can if it's a magic net! Just..."Cherry Fizzy insisted.

"We need to coordinate positions with the greatest probability of..." Shining Armor tried to regain control of the meeting.

"Oh what's the point!? She's just going to poof away again!" Rainbow interrupted, scowling at her friends as they turned to her in disbelief.

"Why, Rainbow Dash! I'm shocked!" Rarity exclaimed, dramatically.

Applejack narrowed her eyes, "Of all the ponies ta give up, I never thought ya'd be the one ta turn chicken."

"I'm not a chicken!" Rainbow Dash said angrily, before slumping down. "I just...I don't know how we're supposed to defeat Discord if he's brainwashed Twilight. I'm not going to fight my friend!"

Here several ponies glared at Bronzewing as Silver Badge clopped him upside the head.

"Ow! You know, you're still wearing those hoof-guards!" Bronzewing complained as everypony ignored him.

Fluttershy put a hoof on Rainbow's shoulder, "If we work together, you won't have to. "

"Fluttershy's right, we just need ta get her away from Discord so we can talk ta her without him messin' with her mind and twistin' everything we say." Applejack said encouragingly.

"Not to mention everything we do." Rarity grumbled.

"Oof!" Rarity said as Applejack nudged her in the side. "I mean..., Of course we can get through to Twilight! We just need some time to explain." She amended hastily as she rubbed her side and scooted cautiously away from Applejack's hooves.

"But what about her magic?" Rainbow asked

"Whatever do you mean, darling?" Rarity asked.

"Even if we manage to get her away from Discord, she's still brainwashed. Who's to say she won't just teleport away?"

"A shield..." Spike said quietly as an idea occurred to him. "A shield!" He yelled louder to be heard over everypony that was still arguing.

"What?" Everypony turned to face the little dragon.

"Shining Armor's shield!" Spike explained, jumping onto the table and knocking several blueprints to the floor. "Back when Twilight was just a filly, Shining Armor used to do a lot of experimenting with his shields. He used to use it do all sorts of things, like carry Twilight's books or as an umbrella when it rained. He even used it like a sort of bubble, to give Twilight and me rides in. I bet if we worked together, Shining Armor and the princesses could come up with a spell to prevent Twilight from teleporting!"

"And even hide her from Discord!" Shining Armor exclaimed, getting excited.

"But first we would have to get her away from Discord."

Everypony turned to Princess Celestia in surprise. This was the first thing she had said all meeting. In fact, several of them had forgotten she was even there. (Multiple ponies shuffled their hooves in embarrassment. The Royal Guards in particular were mortified and retreated to their guard faces.)