• Published 18th May 2012
  • 1,743 Views, 3 Comments

Reflections of Reflections - Damien Helvian

  • ...
1
 3
 1,743

Scootaloo's Lesson

Reflections of Reflections
Scootaloo’s Lesson
Author: Damien Helvian
MLP:FiM is property of Hasbro. This is a free Fanfiction, and is not meant to be sold or traded for anything whatsoever.
Author’s Note: This is one of my “Episode” type stories. Scootaloo’s Lesson of Friendship, since she hasn’t had hers yet. So it is meant to be read, and pictured, like you would see it on TV.

It was your average day in Ponyville. Rainbow Dash was clearing clouds from the sky, Applejack was buckin’ apples, and Pinkie Pie was being Pinkie Pie. Today the Cutie Mark Crusaders decided to try things on their own, meaning, a competition to see which pony could get theirs first.

Scootaloo was sitting under a tree, going over everything she already tried, “Hang-gliding, Zip Lining, Martial Arts(Apple Bloom’s Idea), Singing(So bad at this), Painting, Merchandising…Gah, so many things already, and not one of them worked!”

The little orange filly scratched at the ground with a hoof in frustration, “If only my stupid wings worked right…I bet I’d be an awesome stunt flier, like Rainbow Dash…”

The foal started daydreaming, picturing herself side by side with her hero, the blue coated, rainbow-maned, Rainbow Dash. They wove around clouds, dodged lightning, and performed sonic rainbooms together.
What are ya thinkin’ about?” a familiar voice, asked, snapping Scootaloo out of her daydream, “Wait, let me guess, something to do with Rainbow Dash?”

Scootaloo looked up at the purple unicorn standing over her, “Oh, hello Twilight…ya, you caught me. I was thinkin’ about what it’d be like to fly.

An idea sparked in her head, “Twilight! Do you think some of your magic could make my wings work? I heard about the wings you gave Sweetie Belle’s sister, Rarity.”

Twilight looked up at the sky, “Well, I don’t really know…and I’m not really sure that’s such a good idea…”
Scootaloo tried her best to mimic Apple Bloom’s kitten eyes, though it failed miserably, “Please? Me and the others are racin’ to see who can get their cutie marks first…and I just know mine’s got to be up there in the sky somewhere.”

Against all the things in her declaring, ‘NO,’ Twilight accepted, walking with the filly back to her library. Spike had just finished cleaning when the door opened, “Welcome back, Twilight,” he spotted the foal with her, “Oh, and hello to you too, Scootaloo,” he snickered at the rhyme he made, “Whatcha need?”

Twilight looked up at the baby dragon, “Do you know where that book is with the flying and wing spells?”
Spike nodded, scampering down the stairs, pushing the ladder over to a bookshelf, and climbing about half-way up. He pulled out a sky-blue book, “Take to the Skies: Advanced Aerial Magic, what do you need this for?”

Scootaloo ran over, jumping to grab the book and taking it over to Twilight, setting it on the table, “She’s gonna help me fly!”

The unicorn used her magic to flip through the book, seeking the right spell. It didn’t take long, “Wings of a Warrior, a spell to strengthen those flimsy wings…oh my, this is a pretty big spell, are you absolutely sure?”
Scootaloo nodded, sitting not too far away, but in open space, she knew what sometimes happened with magic that was considered ‘Strong’ or ‘Big.’

Twilight began studying the spell, preparing herself so as not to make a mistake. Meanwhile….Rainbow Dash had just finished clearing the skies, and started practicing her Sonic Rainboom Technique, still unable to perform it whenever she wanted.


Back at the library, Twilight began casting the Wings of a Warrior spell, her horn glowing with two layers of magic. Spike watched from behind the staircase railing.

Scootaloo’s wings adopted the same purple glow as the Unicorn’s magic, the spell going to work. She let out a small laugh as they started to tingle.

“Please…try to be quiet, I need to focus,” Twilight’s voice was strained a bit, her horn gaining a third layer as the power of the spell grew.

The filly was lifted up by the magic, her wings getting longer and thicker, slowly flapping on their own. She had to hold her hooves to her mouth to not laugh at the sensation.

The spell was almost complete when a loud BOOM! sounded, shaking the whole of Ponyville. Outside, rainbow rings spread outward from the Sonic Rainboom.

Twilight screamed, the shock kicking her magic into overdrive, her horn gained another two layers. She tried her hardest to cancel the spell, even shaking her head in attempt to sever the connection.

Scootaloo was whipped about like a rag doll, with Spike clambering underneath, trying to grab her. The connection suddenly broke, the glow around her wings surrounding her whole body as she flew across the room.

Twilight, who had almost passed out, looked around for the filly, wondering what happened, since she didn’t hear a crash, or anything breaking. Eventually she spotted spike, his mouth agape, “Spike? What happened?”
He pointed across the room, where Scootaloo was slung. All the way on the other side, was a mirror, and the filly was INSIDE it!


It was like something out of a horror movie. Twilight and Spike ran over to the mirror, looking all around it to check if what they saw was real. And it was…

Inside the mirror, like somepony’s reflection, was Scootaloo. She banged on the inside of the glass, but it didn’t make a sound. It was something that was thought only Pinkie Pie could do.

“Oh…my…Celestia….I am so sorry. I knew we shouldn’t have done this…I knew that spell was too strong. Oh no, what am I gonna do…what am I gonna tell everypony…what-“

She was shushed by Spike, “Twi, you can fix this. You beat Nightmare Moon AND Discord. Solving this’ll be a piece of cake. There’s bound to be a spell somewhere..I’ll go talk to Zecora, she’s seen a lot of weird things, maybe she knows something.”

Twilight sighed, “Thank you Spike. You go do that, and I’ll look through my books…oh, and could you see if you can get Rainbow down here? We need to have a little talk.”

Spike walked out the door with a nod, and she started pulling down all her advanced magic books. Moments later, Rainbow Dash flew through the window, landing not far from the mirror.

“Oh cool…what kind of spell is that, an illusion…oh, wait, a new enchantment?” she asked, noticing the trapped Scootaloo.

“No, it’s not. I’m trapped in here cause your Sonic Rainboom freaked out Twilight while she was helping me out!” Though hitting the glass didn’t make a sound, she could still talk.

“Wait…what? How is that even possible? Is this sort of like when you got your cutie mark, Twilight?”

“Mm-hmm, almost exactly like that. The sound broke my focus, and with strong spells, my power tends to get out of control, and bad things happen. You should really learn to practice away from town.” The unicorn tossed book after book aside.

Rainbow chuckled nervously, rubbing a hoof against the back of her head, “My bad…I guess it was kinda stupid to do it right over town.”

“Kinda?!” Scootaloo shouted from inside the mirror, “That was more than kinda stupid. That was down-right idiotic. Who know how many ponies got freaked out because of that!”

“I get it, I’m really sorry…no need to be mean…I promise to be more careful. How’s about I buy you one of those cloud beds. Maybe you can use your wings to push it around…you’ll be one step closer to flying. Once we get you out of there, of course.”

As if on cue, the door flew open, and Spike walked in holding a large white book, “That was convenient. Zecora was on her way here to return this. I told her what happened, but she said she’s never heard of anything like this before. But, she did say this book has a spell that might work on page 78.”

Twilight quickly yanked the book away, almost toppling the little dragon over. She turned to page 78 and looked at the spell, “Reflections of Reflections, bring you conscience to life through your own reflection. Just aim at your reflection, cast, and this spell will give it a form of its own…Permanent unless counter-spell is used! Ooh, this spell is perfect…with a twist, it should definitely work.”


Spike took his usual spot behind the staircase railing, and Rainbow Dash patrolled outside, to make sure nothing happened to distract Twilight Sparkle.

The purple unicorn stood in front of the mirror, the very tip of her horn resting on the glass, “The way the spell should work, you should notice a change on your side. When that happens, just run through the glass, ok?”
Scootaloo backed up as best she could, readying herself, “Ok, I trust you, Twilight, I’m ready.”

Twilight closed her eyes, within moments her horn had four layers of magic. The energy radiating like a radar ping across the glass, shortly after, the mirror started to ripple.

The filly felt the energy rush through herself, Twilight’s image distorting. She figured this was the sign, and charged forward. She braced herself, just in case, and went right through, tackling into the unicorn. The mirror shattered behind, but nopony really cared about that.

Spike cheered, and Rainbow flew in upon hearing it, “Sweet! Now, pick yourself up, and let’s go get that cloud bed I owe ya.”

Scootaloo hopped off the unicorn, doing her best to help her friend up, “I’m sorry Twilight, this is all my fault…”

Twilight looked down at the little Pegasus, “What do you mean, Scootaloo?”

The filly nuzzled into the mare’s neck, “If I hadn’t made you help me, none of this would’ve happened. I shouldn’t rush this cutie mark thing, and maybe, I just wasn’t meant to fly. Thank you for everything, I’ll see you again sometime.”

She headed for the door, but was stopped by Twilight, “Wait! Do you think you could right that in a letter for the princess? It sounds like you learned something really important.”

Scootaloo nodded, and Spike handed her a quill, setting down some parchment on the table. After she wrote it, it was sent via dragon fire, and she ran off after Rainbow Dash.

Comments ( 3 )

Aside from a few spelling errors, this was a pretty good story. Scoots felt a bit outta character yelling at Rainbow Dash but besides that nothing was really wrong. I loved the way you described Twilight using her magic. The detal did help me picture what was happening. 4/5 story for me :twilightblush:

My appologies for any spelling errors in this comment. Smart phones suck like that sometimes

617119 Scoots' solo personality isn't really shown throughout the series, having mostly been seen with the crusaders. And as the other two are different in the group as they are outside of it, it can be presumed that Scoots is, as well. And with her slightly passive-aggressive nature in the group, I figured that her being slightly more aggressive was suitable.
And I'm glad you could picture it, that was the point of this story as a sort of "Episode"

Scootaloo was sitting under a tree, going over everything she already tried, “Hang-gliding, Zip Lining, Martial Arts(Apple Bloom’s Idea), Singing(So bad at this)*, Painting, Merchandising…Gah, so many things already, and not one of them worked!”

*No, Scootaloo's singing has increasingly improved over the course of a few seasons.

Overall, I think your opinions on Scootaloo musically, like that of all too many bronies', are stuck in The Great And Powerful Mentality Of Lauren Faust and, like Scootaloo's Singing Voice already has, those opinions need to improve. Hear this vocal extract from "Hearts Strong As Horses" to know what I mean:

Login or register to comment