• Published 7th Aug 2018
  • 2,906 Views, 81 Comments

Reaching For The Sun - Foals Errand



Twilight has been searching for Princess Celestia for a decade with no luck. Now, she has found her living a new life on a new world.

  • ...
6
 81
 2,906

Prologue

“You have to get out of here!”

Twilight madly shook her head, the Element of Magic once more rested upon her brow after they had been forced to retrieve the Elements from the Tree of Harmony. Discord was at that moment in the Everfree itself, monitoring for any further dangers that might arise.

The night had been long. How long, Twilight was unsure. Days, maybe? It was as if all of Celestia’s magic had been focused on protecting the minds of her ponies from the fog trying to break them. The sun had stayed below the horizon. Twilight looked up at the dull moon and shivered, knowing it wouldn’t take long until he found them.

“I’m not leaving you!”

“Do not make me order you to leave, Twilight Sparkle!”

Twilight turned to see Celestia. She was bloody from the battle she had already fought. If not for Luna and Cadance… Twilight shook her head. “Celestia, I don’t think you are in any shape to be giving me orders.”

Celestia actually chuckled as she gazed at Twilight. “You’ve grown so much. It wasn’t that long ago that you would have obeyed without a thought.” She started coughing, a rivulet of blood landing on the floor as she winced. “This is not the time for you to gain such stubbornness, Twilight Sparkle. He will be here soon. Equestria needs you and your friends. I am… expendable.”

“What are you saying? You’re Princess Celestia! Of all ponies…” Twilight felt Celestia’s hoof lay gently upon her lips. She looked up to see Celestia smiling down at her, a line of blood trailing from her mouth. Her eyes were firm, yet full of unshed tears.

“Twilight, I want you to listen to me. Equestria does not need me like it needs you and your friends. I can fall this night if I must to protect you all.” Her horn was alight, still fighting for everyone she loved. “You need to go now, Twilight… please, if nothing else at least hide. Do not fall to him. You are such a strong and amazing mare. Losing you to him…” She trailed off, shaking her head.

Twilight swallowed hard as she nuzzled Celestia’s hoof, feeling her wing wrap around her like so many times before. This was different, though. And they both knew it. “I’ll never give up on you, Celestia. Never!”

Celestia leaned over and placed a gentle kiss on Twilight’s cheek, her own cheek a rosy red. “I’ll hold you to that, Twilight Sparkle.”

A moment of silence was far to short for the two mares who nuzzled close. Words that they wanted to say begged to come out. Before it was to late.

“Celestia I…”

“I know, Twilight…”

It had to be enough as Celestia withdrew from the embrace, as the moon fell from the sky. Only the lanterns and the stars lit up the area. Twilight felt a tear fall down her cheek as she prayed for Luna and Cadance.

“Run. Do you hear me, Twilight? Run to the Everfree. Discord will protect you if need be. Now, go!” Celestia turned as she heard the sound of a bell. “Go! Now!”

A whimper left Twilight’s lips, but finally, she did as she was commanded. She turned and ran as she heard the bell getting louder. Yet, she did not head for the Everfree as she was bid. She hid behind a house. And she slowly maneuvered herself so only her head was poking out. And she watched.

Celestia stood tall, even as the wind whipped around her. The once-bustling village lay silent around her, all the ponies having already been evacuated to safety in the crystal mines. Moments passed as the sound of the bell steadily grew louder and closer. he was soon eye to eye with the large ram who was grinning at her. His eyes glowing with unnatural light.

“Peek-a-boo, Celestia.” His voice was smooth, and caused Twilight’s bones to ache every time she had heard it. This was to be no exception.

Celestia glared him down, before lashing out with her front hooves. She slammed into his chest with all her strength, sending him sprawling to the ground. Celestia laughed. “It seems you don’t handle physical abuse as well as you do magic. Good to know!”

Twilight watched as she kicked off her hoof shoes and threw off her crown with a firm shake of her head.

“Get up you, bucking monster! You want my ponies? You’ll have to go through me and I don’t think you can!” Celestia winced as his cloven hoof met her muzzle, snapping her head back. She spat out a bit of blood and tackled him to the ground.

Twilight almost winced a few times for the fiend as Celestia ripped into him with both hooves and teeth. He wasn’t looking too good from what Twilight could see. She dare not cast a spell, even if only to see in the dark.

“This is what happens to those who try to take my ponys’ free-will!” With each word, Celestia punched him in the face with alternating hoofs. She could feel the bruises on her face and chest from his counter-blows, but she did not care.

The bell was silent as the ram lay still and Celestia kicked him aside. She glared down at him “And stay dead this time…”

Twilight felt joy surge through her body as she realized it was over. He was dead! Luna...was probably battered and beaten up, but they’d all be alright! Things were going to be okay- Her eyes widened as the ram got back to his hooves. Celestia had already turned from him. He was going to...

“Celestia! Behind you! He isn’t dead!”

Celestia turned, her eyes flashing. Her horn briefly went out as her whole body began to glow. “You will never take their minds while I have any life in my body!” The glow quickly grew to an inferno of energy surrounding the both of them. “I will stop you! I will end you!”

Twilight forced herself to watch. Frozen in her hiding space. She could do nothing but watch as the ball of energy grew even brighter.

“Equestria will never be yours! This world has rejected you!”

A whoosh of released energy swept over the abandoned Ponyville, knocking Twilight to her belly as she forced herself back up. She saw Celestia panting on her belly, a portal of energy beside her as she shakingly went to get to her hooves. Two large cloven hooves reached through and dragged her through the portal. It closed the instant she was through.

“Celestia!”


“Celestia!” Twilight sat up, sweat-soaked bangs falling into her eyes as sobs escaped her muzzle.

“Twilight! Twilight, it’s okay, Twi. It was just a nightmare!”

Twilight shook her head as she felt Spike’s arms wrapped around her. “N-no it wasn’t…”

Spike frowned and brushed Twilight’s sweaty bangs away. “Again, Twi? It’s been ten years…You have to let it go, Twi.”

“Never, Spike. I promised.” Twilight gave her little assistant a hug and got up. It’s going to be a busy day